Stop Going To The Airport

corta765

Some people say stuff like that makes the Buffalo fanbase unique and the best and most hard core in the league.

Others say it makes Buffalo fans look lame and they have no lives.

I say whatever... if it makes someone happy to show up late Sunday night at the Cayuga Road cargo facility and stand behind a fence after a week 2 win, have at it.  Maybe it's their only shot to see the players in person.

• Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, corta765 said:

The more it happens the more it becomes routine and honestly corny. It was super cool the first few times which usually were big moments. There is nothing big or momentous on a week 2 win over a team we've been crushing. Be better with expectations and something that in the past had a cool meaning.

Only trainspotting

Been happening for  years in Buffalo. Fans have greeted the team at the airport way before McDermott

Now is it a little corny after week 2, yea.. but it's only like 50 people who probably don't have a job

There's always a couple dozen people who show up after away games... Not like it's 2,000 people celebrating

Edited by Buffalo716

8 minutes ago, corta765 said:

The more it happens the more it becomes routine and honestly corny. It was super cool the first few times which usually were big moments. There is nothing big or momentous on a week 2 win over a team we've been crushing. Be better with expectations and something that in the past had a cool meaning.

I mean, I Get It that you feel this way.  But how does it hurt YOU or anyone else who stays home, if other fans want to go?

Planespotting is done at airports.  Trainspotting is done at train stations or rail yards.  Planespotting is a Thing.  I think they're both silly things, but how does it hurt me if other people enjoy them?

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Only trainspotting

Its the younger generation using social media to crowd source and manufacture past glory when the mix of raw emotion and dangerous amounts of alcohol led to incredible, spontaneous displays of fandom. 

You see it now in college sports all the time where kids are pre-organizing a storming of the court or field a week in advance just waiting for a 16 seed to upset a 10 seed.  Its phony bullsheet and made for instagram likes.  

For some group of Bills fans its donation campaigns to show what awesome people we are all and trips to the airport to support "are" team.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, I Get It that you feel this way.  But how does it hurt YOU or anyone else who stays home, if other fans want to go?

Planespotting is done at airports.  Trainspotting is done at train stations or rail yards.  Planespotting is a Thing.  I think they're both silly things, but how does it hurt me if other people enjoy them?

I actually liked that it happened because it was a unique awesome display of fandom that originally didn't feel overdone. Nowadays I just think its overboard and overdone and chips away at times it should happen.

I will say someone said it could be the only way some people see the team in person and if that is the case more power to them.

On a different note I could see something bad happening one time that kills the ability for this to happen which is the other reason. If it is one off situations not as big of a deal, but more occurrences better chance something rocks the cart. I know in the past they were annoyed at the garbage left after.

Edited by corta765
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, corta765 said:

I actually liked that it happened because it was a unique awesome display of fandom that originally didn't feel overdone. Nowadays I just think its overboard and overdone and chips away at times it should happen.

I will say someone said it could be the only way some people see the team in person and if that is the case more power to them.

That's a great point.  Should vaccinations be required to wait outside the fence at the airport??

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, corta765 said:

One of these things are vastly different then the other and going to the airport is vastly different. There is a reason when fan turnouts happen its for big events with other teams and that is because it is for an occasion that warrants it.

Is there some kind of rulebook of acceptable fan behavior I'm unaware of, or did you really mean to say in your original post that YOU would only go to greet the players at the airport after super bowl/playoff/important game victories?

I'm always kind of baffled when one fan decides how another fan celebrates a victory, or bemoans a loss, or even greets another fan is wrong and his or her method is correct. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, corta765 said:

Ok we've hit a point where the airport thing has lost its uniqness and specialness. Fans were at the gate Sunday after they beat Miami and I am here to say ya'll gotta stop.

When they broke the drought, when they clinched the division, heck when they truly clinched the playoffs against PIT in 2019 I get going those days. Those were big important days which celebrations are worth. I myself would've went in 2020 had they beat Houston as winning your first playoff game in 20+ years also is one of those big moments.

But were at the point people are just going for the sake of going. Beating a team to get to 1-1 ruins the coolness that had been established prior. Some of you may say I am no fun, but to me things like greeting the team at the airport should be received for occasions that grant it. Truth be told now that the team has made progress I'd rather see this held back to winning the AFC title, then just a regular season win that really isn't special at all.

O RLY?

• Haha (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

My grandmother (God rest her soul) took me to the airport in 1990's to watch the planes take off.  It just so happens the Bills were arriving and a huge group of fans gathered to wish them well.  The crowds were so huge that my petite Gram Gram was trampled by three guys clamoring for a Jim Kelly autograph.  One of these bruisers wore a tattoo that said "Vinny Hart Ivy" (an obvious mistake by the guy that inked his arm, but unique nonetheless.)  As I watched my Gram Gram lay in a pool of Budweiser on the tile floor, she winked at me and said "Find that bastard".  Don't ever tell me what to do...my search continues.  He'll show up sooner or later and then it's curtains for Vinny.

I keep coming back to this, it is genius. I copied it and texted it to my family, because it’s all about family. I’d like to make one suggestion, I think you need to change the beer. Does anyone in Buffalo drink Budweiser? You could change it to the obvious, Labatt Blue, but I’m not sure it was that popular in the early 1990s, could be an anachronism. You could go with Genny Cream Ale, or something no one drank, but brewed by Utica Club the ever obscure Matt Malt Liquor.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

My grandmother (God rest her soul) took me to the airport in 1990's to watch the planes take off.  It just so happens the Bills were arriving and a huge group of fans gathered to wish them well.  The crowds were so huge that my petite Gram Gram was trampled by three guys clamoring for a Jim Kelly autograph.  One of these bruisers wore a tattoo that said "Vinny Hart Ivy" (an obvious mistake by the guy that inked his arm, but unique nonetheless.)  As I watched my Gram Gram lay in a pool of Budweiser on the tile floor, she winked at me and said "Find that bastard".  Don't ever tell me what to do...my search continues.  He'll show up sooner or later and then it's curtains for Vinny.

My name is Indigo Montoya you trampled my grandmother, prepare to die 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

Ok we've hit a point where the airport thing has lost its uniqness and specialness. Fans were at the gate Sunday after they beat Miami and I am here to say ya'll gotta stop.

When they broke the drought, when they clinched the division, heck when they truly clinched the playoffs against PIT in 2019 I get going those days. Those were big important days which celebrations are worth. I myself would've went in 2020 had they beat Houston as winning your first playoff game in 20+ years also is one of those big moments.

But were at the point people are just going for the sake of going. Beating a team to get to 1-1 ruins the coolness that had been established prior. Some of you may say I am no fun, but to me things like greeting the team at the airport should be received for occasions that grant it. Truth be told now that the team has made progress I'd rather see this held back to winning the AFC title, then just a regular season win that really isn't special at all.

let people do what they want ... free country so if they want to go-- let them go for it...  if you dont like ---dont pay attention to it.. and who knows it may be a 10 yr old who wanted to see some of his(her) favorite players get off the plane.  and if the same kid goes in December/January -- people that go trash the place, are stupid drunk, it is cold out and little kid cant see over all the heads and shoulders trying to squeeze their way to the front.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

You are no fun 

You are the self appointed fun police? 

No one is making you go are they?

Let people be, if they want to go whats the big deal, let them have their harmless fun.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Pretty sure @corta765 could start a thread titled "Stop Drinking Your Own Piss at Tailgates!" and the reactions would be the same.  

America, 2021. Where you can trick anyone to do anything by simply telling them to do the opposite, and watch them exercise their right to be contrarian.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Pretty sure @corta765 could start a thread titled "Stop Drinking Your Own Piss at Tailgates!" and the reactions would be the same.  

All kidding aside, I stopped drinking my own piss last year in week 9 at the Seattle game.

It's made a world of difference and I highly recommend others do it too.

• Haha (+1) 1

I couldn’t agree more. At some point we gotta act like we’re supposed to be winning these games

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Brennan Huff said:

I couldn’t agree more. At some point we gotta act like we’re supposed to be winning these games

All my point was is this. Not many fan bases do what Bills fans do which I think is awesome. But the uniqueness goes away and because stale with something big like this when it’s all the time. Have bigger expectations why is that hard for people

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, corta765 said:

All my point was is this. Not many fan bases do what Bills fans do which I think is awesome. But the uniqueness goes away and because stale with something big like this when it’s all the time. Have bigger expectations why is that hard for people

I expect Bills fans to be there after every game and maybe that is a big expectation. If not, can we even collectively call ourselves "fans?" Are we really the best fanbase in the world?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.