Week 1: Steelers at Bills

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, billsherd said:

Did you have your biscuit or did you risk it? So when did this start with the BUCS? Hearing it first time today.

I think that saying goes a ways back with Arians. I know he was saying it as HC with the Cardinals, but I think it’s something he’s used long before that. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Watt will play on Sunday and will make an impact.

Last year I think he had a grand total of 1 tackle after getting jacked up by Daryl Williams all night.

He was so ineffective they ended up flipping him around just to get him away from Williams.

Watt will show up ready to play and with chips on both shoulders re: his contract and getting dominated by #75 last year,  and I still don't think it will make a galdanged bit of difference. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Key to the game will be Buffalo's pass rush. If the Bills can't get to Big Ben quickly I think he keeps the Steelers in the game picking apart Wallace/Jackson with Claypool. Allen and the offense need to score early and often to keep a lead and hopefully put the Steelers away by the 3rd if the pass rush shows up.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The guy who gave us fits last time we played the Stillers was Cam Heyward.   To un-stall our O we had to switch up the routes the WR were running to put Diggs on shorter, faster developing routes and we made some change to our blocking scheme, my memory fails me.  But IIRC he was still pretty much in Allen's face all game. 

Anyway, Hayward's the guy I hope we've got a plan for.

He's the best player on their entire team as far as I'm concerned and I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see the Bills moving Allen around a lot because of it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Watt will play on Sunday and will make an impact.

Not saying he definitely won’t but I heard he hasn’t done anything but individual work thus far.  Nothing more at all to avoid injury that would screw his contract position for the season.  Is it realistic to think he’s ready to go full on if they do manage to get something done the next few days?  I’d think he just won’t be ready yet.  

4 minutes ago, 716er said:

Key to the game will be Buffalo's pass rush. If the Bills can't get to Big Ben quickly I think he keeps the Steelers in the game picking apart Wallace/Jackson with Claypool. Allen and the offense need to score early and often to keep a lead and hopefully put the Steelers away by the 3rd if the pass rush shows up.

Yep, completely agree with this. The Steelers will design plays to get the ball out of Ben’s hands very quickly… but if we can’t get to him, it could be a long afternoon. The Steelers will be ready to play.  Would love to see Groot blow up Big Ben on the opening drive. 

Just now, Apocalypse Nuts said:

Not saying he definitely won’t but I heard he hasn’t done anything but individual work thus far.  Nothing more at all to avoid injury that would screw his contract position for the season.  Is it realistic to think he’s ready to go full on if they do manage to get something done the next few days?  I’d think he just won’t be ready yet.  

I'd imagine he could provide some situational pass rushing juice, at the least.

Enough so that the Bills must spend time on it this week, just in case.

2 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I'd imagine he could provide some situational pass rushing juice, at the least.

Enough so that the Bills must spend time on it this week, just in case.

He is a beast of an athlete.  Monster.  You know the coaches are planning for him regardless of his contract situation.  

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

Yep, completely agree with this. The Steelers will design plays to get the ball out of Ben’s hands very quickly… but if we can’t get to him, it could be a long afternoon. The Steelers will be ready to play.  Would love to see Groot blow up Big Ben on the opening drive. 

If they come at us with a quick passing game, it may be more about our length than pass rush ability.  I’m sure they’ll be reminded to get their hands up in passing lanes. 

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If they come at us with a quick passing game, it may be more about our length than pass rush ability.  I’m sure they’ll be reminded to get their hands up in passing lanes. 

Well then isn't it nice to have some elite EDGE length on the right (Rousseau) and the left (Epenesa).

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

The heat is a bit of a worry if it's a sunny day, but we typically play well there - and as you mentioned - that place is Buffalo South. 

Heat?😳 HEAT?!? D’aint no heat in WNY! Friends ‘n Fam posted Labor Day pics -Everybody was wearin’ hoodies! If snow isn’t in the gameday forecast, it will be every week thereafter.

’Heat’.. HA!🤣

• Eyeroll 1

22 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Uni reveal. Bills will wear White on White.

I love their official blue jersey white pant look. I think it’s the Leagues’ best. Wish they would wear them every Home game.

I know, I know.. I’m old..🤦‍♂️

Im not a fan of the white on white but whatevs.  Just win the game 😃

10 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

That is an option.  You mentioned a Steeler fan and I got a "reasonable" one too.  That is all he talks about is the options for moving on.

He is a little pee'd off they keep holding on.

Getting back to the main game week thread he is also the guy to clued me in on not only their OL being a question mark but the CBs too.

He's not too confident the Steelers can keep up Sunday at all.  If Ben isn't looking playoff worthy he will be the first to let me know!

I think there is a decent chance they will let it go and tag him next year and wait to see what happens with the QB situation.

If they go to rebuild mode they trade him and use the 1st to get a QB.

They may be "fence sitting" on him.

I think the Steelers are a well-coached team.

I expect them to run a lot and use quick passes; maybe leverage their TEs to eat the clock and make Allen cool his heels.

Ebron is worse than Knox with the dropsies so it will be interesting if they lean on their rookie TE Freiermuth they invested that 55th pick to nab.

He is supposedly a much better blocker than Ebron too so could give those outside zone runs a boost.

TEs have been an Achilles heel for our defense so we will see if they have made any adjustments to better counter them. 

Big Ben is not what I would consider a mobile threat so they are going to need to jump out in front and stay that way for that keep-away game plan to really work.

If and when we get up on them, Ben will have to take more deep drops and hold the ball, I would expect sacks and turnovers with the kind of talent Beane has pumped into the DL.

I am pretty stoked... seems like it was the longest offseason ever.

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I love their official blue jersey white pant look. I think it’s the Leagues’ best. Wish they would wear them every Home game.

No.  You have two functioning eyes.  The reason they wear white's at home to start off the year is this weird notion that light colors in the warm weather gives the advantage to the home team.  At least it's not all reds like last year against Pittsburgh.

• Like (+1) 1

Should be interesting with Benjamin going under center for the first time in forever.

That fat bastage isn't going to drop back....it will be more like fall back ;) 

He has been primarily a shotgun QB because of his lack of mobility.

Go Bills.

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

For the past few years the Bills have had 5 home uniform combinations. The all whites(current and throwback), blue over white, all blues and all reds. They will wear all of these at home. I saw on the uniform gridiron database site the Bills already posted all white throwbacks for their week 13 Monday night home game against NE. I imagine Kim is the one who is behind this. I don't think Terry, Brandon, and Sean care about stuff like this. IMHO.

Edited by Greg S

17 minutes ago, Greg S said:

For the past few years the Bills have had 5 home uniform combinations. The all whites(current and throwback), blue over white, all blues and all reds. They will wear all of these at home. I saw on the uniform gridiron database site the Bills already posted all white throwbacks for their week 13 Monday night home game against NE. I imagine Kim is the one who is behind this. I don't think Terry, Brandon, and Sean care about stuff like this. IMHO.

Interesting

20 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Is this simply based on a 1960 view of gender roles and interests? Do you suppose she also picks out tablecloth colors for team meals? I wonder if she folds the napkins in fancy shapes for each setting.

I'm going to speculate that marketing plays more of a role in game uniform selections. 

• Agree 3

5 hours ago, WideNine said:

I think the Steelers are a well-coached team.

I expect them to run a lot and use quick passes; maybe leverage their TEs to eat the clock and make Allen cool his heels.

Ebron is worse than Knox with the dropsies so it will be interesting if they lean on their rookie TE Freiermuth they invested that 55th pick to nab.

He is supposedly a much better blocker than Ebron too so could give those outside zone runs a boost.

TEs have been an Achilles heel for our defense so we will see if they have made any adjustments to better counter them. 

Big Ben is not what I would consider a mobile threat so they are going to need to jump out in front and stay that way for that keep-away game plan to really work.

If and when we get up on them, Ben will have to take more deep drops and hold the ball, I would expect sacks and turnovers with the kind of talent Beane has pumped into the DL.

I am pretty stoked... seems like it was the longest offseason ever.

Running quick passes can be easier said than done sometimes.  You need a really high efficiency to score. 

Feel like a broken record, but while we had trouble with TE last year it has not been an Achilles heel for McD.  In 2018 and 2019 we were one of the best against TE with regards to fantasy and in 2017 we were middle of the pack.  

Agree with your thoughts in the second half of the post.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2017/fantasy-points-against-TE.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/fantasy-points-against-TE.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/fantasy-points-against-TE.htm

On 9/6/2021 at 10:31 AM, wjag said:

The screen, short pass and sweep plays to Najee Harris will be a big factor in this game.  Shut that down early, and the game becomes more one dimensional.  If Pitt has success early, watch out..  I expect a good chunk of fans will be from Pittsburgh, like always..  Should make for some interesting crowd noise.  Send them 'dirty-towel' waiving fanatics back down the 90 or 219 unhappy.

I seriously doubt it as we didn’t have a crowd last year, and any Steelers fans will pay through the nose when we have 60k in season tickets.  Bills fanatics aren’t giving up these tix.  For once we won’t have 25k in yellow towels this year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Should be interesting with Benjamin going under center for the first time in forever.

That fat bastage isn't going to drop back....it will be more like fall back ;) 

He has been primarily a shotgun QB because of his lack of mobility.

Go Bills.

why do you say he is going under center more? 

54 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I seriously doubt it as we didn’t have a crowd last year, and any Steelers fans will pay through the nose when we have 60k in season tickets.  Bills fanatics aren’t giving up these tix.  For once we won’t have 25k in yellow towels this year.

hope you’re right!   I guess Bills fans would be more predisposed to paying secondary market prices this year than years past.  I’m in Section 112 for this one, hopefully I’m not surrounded by black and yella.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

hope you’re right!   I guess Bills fans would be more predisposed to paying secondary market prices this year than years past.  I’m in Section 112 for this one, hopefully I’m not surrounded by black and yella.

Steeler fans always find a way to make their presence felt. Even with that I expect it to be a crazy atmosphere more so than usual. First time back in the stadium in 2 years for the fans except for those lucky enough to attend the playoff games.

Riot, just drown pains in the … out.  With the team we have and the future with JA and coaches and GM, we should start traveling as well as them.

the Steelers didn’t have that level of footprint in Rich Stadium

on the 90’s.  They overran us during the drought.

Yeah Miyagi, that’s been discussed on NFLR a lot from the interviews.  Ben inferenced it, and so did in an interview with the new OC.  We’ll see.

6 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Riot, just drown pains in the … out.  With the team we have and the future with JA and coaches and GM, we should start traveling as well as them.

Yeah Miyagi, that’s been discussed on NFLR a lot from the interviews.  Ben inferenced it, and so did in an interview with the new OC.  We’ll see.

lol, I still have flashbacks to that game in 2016 where Le’veon Bell ran for like 200 yards against us.  We had no answer for him.

I have a feeling Najee won’t do QUITE as well as that on Sunday!

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

A lot of it is the New York transplant situation, but we take over southern stadiums.  

Miami, Tennessee, Atlanta, Carolina, Jacksonville, etc..

• Like (+1) 1