Week 1: Steelers at Bills

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

It's not just injuries but I could see the virus situation playing a bigger factor this year with stadiums packed with fans. 

Do we know the vaccination status in the CB room?  I sorta assume Tre is. Maybe that’s why they feel so comfortable with so few?  Would make sense given that we know we have at least two DL that are not vaccinated. 

Edited by YattaOkasan

They have a young, inexperienced offensive line. I like our chances with our DL. Steelers could counter with small ball, dump offs and swing passes, which was a lot of their offense last year because they couldn't run the ball and BB is not a threat to escape the pocket under pressure anymore.

Their NCB situation is also suspect, our better WR corps, Knox and DS should have a good day over the middle with quick developing curl/stick and slant routes assuming we can neutralize their LBs and suck them forward/freeze them with play action.

I doubt they try to blitz much and will try and get pressure with their front 4, Allen proved last year that blitzing him was almost always a mistake. That being said their dline is still pretty solid and Heyward, Ingram and Watt can be quite disruptive. They'll also have Bush back from a torn ACL last year and their LBs and Safeties are solid on paper.

I think we pull this one out in the end to something like 24-17 or 28-20, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if we spent the first quarter punting back and forth as both teams feel each other out and we try to find the soft spot in their defense to exploit.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I keep reading Watt might not play due to contract. He is the main guy on that defense that scares me, in 2019 he was the most disruptive player on the field.

Even if he does play how effective will he be for this game. No mini-camp, no training camp, no preseason games or anything. He is a great player but it would be tough to play in this situation. 

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

Even if he does play how effective will he be for this game. No mini-camp, no training camp, no preseason games or anything. He is a great player but it would be tough to play in this situation. 

I hope you are right but his job does not require much coordination with the rest of team. Basically line him up and let him go do his thing. But a 80% TJ is still better for the Steelers than his replacement. 

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

It's not just injuries but I could see the virus situation playing a bigger factor this year with stadiums packed with fans. 

Maybe but so far outdoor events have not typically been big covid spreader events.  And we'll get a better sense of this over the next week or two given the huge packed crowds we saw in college football stadiums over Labor Day weekend.  And they pack those people together like sardines.

32 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I seem to remember Bruce Smith doing this 3 or 4 times. He’d come back week 1 and wreak havoc. But TJ Watt is no Bruce that’s for sure

18 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Well if the Pittsburgh official depth chart is correct their starting OL is as follows:

https://www.steelers.com/team/depth-chart/

LT Dan Moore - Rookie 4th Round Pick

LG  Kevin Dotson - 1 Year Pro (4 Games Started for PIT 2020)

C  Kendrick Green - Rookie 3rd Round Pick

RG Trai Turner - 7 Year Pro (6 years with Panthers 5 time Probowl, 1st year with PIT, played for LAC last year)

RT Chukwuma Okorafor - 3 Year Pro all with PIT 30 Game Starter

FWIW @Stank_Nasty

When the current version of Trai Turner is the 'sure thing/steady hand' on the offensive line, your QB and overall offense are in a lot of trouble IMO.

I liked both Green and Moore in this draft and I'd bet they'll become solid players, but this is a tough ask for them in Week 1. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

I seem to remember Bruce Smith doing this 3 or 4 times. He’d come back week 1 and wreak havoc. But TJ Watt is no Bruce that’s for sure

TJ wants more money and apparently Tomlin doesn't like guys not practicing etc.  It will be interesting to see if he plays or not for sure. 

14 minutes ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

When the current version of Trai Turner is the 'sure thing/steady hand' on the offensive line, your QB and overall offense are in a lot of trouble IMO.

I liked both Green and Moore in this draft and I'd bet they'll become solid players, but this is a tough ask for them in Week 1. 

the Washington Nationals shortstop is playing Offensive Line for the Steelers?!?

• Haha (+1) 1