DeShaun Watson will be inactive every game??

cage

This doesn't make any sense.  Shouldn't he be put on Commish exempt list?  They can't play him, they can't really trade him and realize value.  While I'm glad he's not suiting up in the AFC East, it seems to be unfair leave his situation hanging like this...

The Texans… Bwahahahahaha…, 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, cage said:

This doesn't make any sense.  Shouldn't he be put on Commish exempt list?  They can't play him, they can't really trade him and realize value.  While I'm glad he's not suiting up in the AFC East, it seems to be unfair leave his situation hanging like this...

Watson made his bed, now he gets to sleep in it. Oh and hes being paid 10.54 million bucks, he will be fine

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1. optics 

2. what are things teams do when working to trade a valuable asset for a hundred Alex 

3. Taiwan Jones catch on third-and-long with Milano making a poor coverage play, the bomb to DiMarco, going to the Duke in the crunch...we've come a long, long way and learned a lot from that...

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

This is positioning during negotiations. Someone is telling them you have no choice and they are leaking this to make bettwr leverage 

That is my thought. I don't get the sense that Houston has tried to take any moral high ground through any of this. 

Somebody is trying to drive the value down?

I have sort of lost track of his whole saga, but skill set aside, I do not see much value in trading for him if I am a team. At any moment he could end up on the commissioners exempt list. For all we know, the guy could end up in jail in 9 months. Why would I give up a haul for that? 

• Agree 2

56 minutes ago, cage said:

Why is it unfair? He burned his bridge as far as ever playing for the Texans again and the Texans are going to wait until more teams arr once again in the market for a starting QB, thus maximizing THEIR asset.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

The said he would be the next Jordan because he ran around. He took major hits for a year, then the league gave him that wild card win. Now they'll land him on a team and dump a bunch of money in it to try to salvage their mistake like they did with the dog killer.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 2

58 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Watson made his bed, now he gets to sleep in it. Oh and hes being paid 10.54 million bucks, he will be fine

Its not him I'm referring to.  Unless the Texans knew about his activities, which I haven't seen any articles stating, its unfair to them to be kept in limbo.  On the exempt list they can deactivate him until his situation is resolved and not use a roster spot.  Also they can't trade him and realize value until teams know what Watson's status is.  I'm definitely not stressing the impact on Watson.  I don't even really care about the Texans, it just seems unfair for them not to be able to act in any way to resolve the situation.

Everyone, including the NFL are held back until the criminal investigation is concluded.  If the criminal investigation concludes there is no crime, the NFL can do their investigation and take action.  Until the extent of the NFL action is known, no team is going to give Houston a legitimate trade offer.  As far as Houston is concerned now, they aren't going to take the PR hit for putting an accused sex offender on the field.  In addition, they aren't going to take the risk of getting him hurt and damaging his future trade value.  It just seems to me that the criminal investigation is taking longer than it should.  There is either evidence or there isn't.  Without evidence, it comes down to the word of one side versus the other.  Can the alleged victims prove their case beyond reasonable doubt?  I'm guessing that if they could, this would already have been headed to a grand jury.  I'm just glad that the Bills are distant spectators in all of this.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I would love if the Dolphins actually mortgaged their future to trade for Watson.  

But there's a part of me that probably thinks just having them stick with Tua and Flores is better for the Bills in the long run

I think they would be a borderline wild card every year but nothing more than that with that combo... And I have no issue with it.

1 hour ago, Might Rather said:

I hate to say it but, Deshaun Watson .... simple answer

Our defense not being able to close out the game and lets not forget couple of RIDICULOUS calls as well 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I hope Watson rots on the bench for the Texans.  He doesn't deserve a happy ending in Florida.

He  had more then enough of happy endings that why he’s rotting on the bench 

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, beavis said:

The said he would be the next Jordan because he ran around. He took major hits for a year, then the league gave him that wild card win. Now they'll land him on a team and dump a bunch of money in it to try to salvage their mistake like they did with the dog killer.

You don't know how professional sports operates, do you? Where have you been over the last 40 years when NFL athlete after NFL athlete has had SEVERAL chances after committing criminal offenses? You can't seriously tell me that those are the only two examples and the NFL is behind it all... first you have to have teams that are willing to take a risk on a player, which SEVERAL have done over the years.

1 hour ago, cage said:

Its not him I'm referring to.  Unless the Texans knew about his activities, which I haven't seen any articles stating, its unfair to them to be kept in limbo.  On the exempt list they can deactivate him until his situation is resolved and not use a roster spot.  Also they can't trade him and realize value until teams know what Watson's status is.  I'm definitely not stressing the impact on Watson.  I don't even really care about the Texans, it just seems unfair for them not to be able to act in any way to resolve the situation.

Exempt list or not he gets paid the same.  He wont be placed on the exempt list until there is a possibility of him stepping on the field.  NFL doesnt want every highlight, every game over shadowed by Watsons case.  Right now out of sight out of mind.  

3 hours ago, cage said:

I think it is playing out just right.  The NFL doesn’t want to put him on the exempt list because it could be all of 2021 season before criminal/Civil/FBI investigations and if the NFL can get him not playing - that gives them options.

Then they can use the exempt list for next year and suspension after that.

The interesting piece is what happens if a trade is made because then I assume the NFL will have to do something and use the exempt list at that point.

4 hours ago, cage said:

I get the feeling that this is more Deshaun's choice than Houston's. He's refusing to play for them and they're letting it be known that they'll just let him rot until he blinks or someone meets their price. I doubt they're voluntarily sitting him. 

I'm a little lost on this topic too.  

My understanding is he is able to play presently because the NFL hasn't suspended him or put him on any exempt list.  So basically the Texans are saying based on his actions (badmouthing team and harassment allegations) he is not playing.  

At this point, why would he want to play?  He is basically getting paid to do very little now.  I know it's not a good look, but if I'm the Texans and he wants to play I would let him.  

If my limited understanding is correct, I am scared that this sets a pattern where players get to dictate what teams they will play for.  If you can say you want to be traded and don't get your wish you can just ride out your contract getting paid along the way.  I don't like this.  Reminds me of the NBA.

Once again, I am not sure I understand all the elements here.

Seems like most people are forgetting that Watson requested a trade BEFORE any of the sexual allegations came out against him. People thought that they only came to light because he was trying to force his way out.

So...even if none of the allegations came out he still would not want to play for them. So this probably isnt just Houston deciding not to play him, its Deshaun deciding that he still doesnt want to play for the Texans.

They are at am impasse: He wont play, they cant trade him.

2 hours ago, IslandBillsFan said:

I'm a little lost on this topic too.  

My understanding is he is able to play presently because the NFL hasn't suspended him or put him on any exempt list.  So basically the Texans are saying based on his actions (badmouthing team and harassment allegations) he is not playing.  

At this point, why would he want to play?  He is basically getting paid to do very little now.  I know it's not a good look, but if I'm the Texans and he wants to play I would let him.  

If my limited understanding is correct, I am scared that this sets a pattern where players get to dictate what teams they will play for.  If you can say you want to be traded and don't get your wish you can just ride out your contract getting paid along the way.  I don't like this.  Reminds me of the NBA.

Once again, I am not sure I understand all the elements here.

He isn’t deciding - the Texans are deciding to inactivate him.  They don’t “want the distraction” right now.

If they wanted him to play him and he refused - he would go on a Non Football refused to report list - where the team can suspend him without pay.  The player also does not accrue vested years without hitting milestones - so he could not get paid and he would not accrue a season and therefore he is stuck in limbo as his contract would not move forward.

The Texans are hoping by protecting him from the media and paying him, but inactivating him - maybe they can salvage this relationship.  If not then maybe they can at least get his market value back.