Justin Fields saved the Bears' leadership from total embarrassment vs. the Bills

HOUSE

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm not that familiar with the Bears starting lineup. 

This article seems to think they did not play starters:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nagy-reiterates-andy-dalton-will-start-week-1-for-bears-we-need-to-see-him-in-th

I'm not familiar with the Bears roster so I can't tell you who, on this list, is expected to start:

image.thumb.png.b2570403fc6e9bf461de2d8f98bd9ff4.png

I was talking more receivers.  Montgomery's a RB and Kmet didn't do much as a rookie so I didn't bother mentioning them. 

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sadly for us, there’s a fine coming for the helmet to helmet, Play of the Day. Fields was idiotic for not addressing an unblocked DE on a short dropback and he’s so small, you can’t get under him w/o being flagged for going too low.

🤬

The thing is if Fields doesn’t try to duck down when he’s tackled, Smith hits him in the chest right below the face mask and no penalty is called.  I feel that anytime a helmet goes flying in the air after a hit, officials will always throw a flag whether it’s helmet-to-helmet or not.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I fear Fields will be in the same boat as Burrow.  They are both quality QB prospects who are victims of incompetent franchises.  Chicago probably did make the right move letting Trubisky go, but they stepped in with their Dalton and Foles moves.  Oh, and their work on the OL has been a joke.  No many rookies can take the beating Allen did.  Burrow couldn’t and it’s doubtful Fields can if/when he gets thrown out there. 

Until they let fields play with the starters it’s pointless to even compare him to dalton. On one hand they shouldn’t play him in the reg season until they get him an nfl caliber oline. Otoh, it’s football and they should just go for it. Dalton is a  stopgap vet but he’s simply below average at this point and this is the time of year  he is at his best. Once the temp drops and wind starts he's useless. Last week was the first time fields even was allowed to play with the 1s in practice. And he still hasn’t in a game. Nagy is an idiot.

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Until they let fields play with the starters it’s pointless to even compare him to dalton. On one hand they shouldn’t play him in the reg season until they get him an nfl caliber oline. Otoh, it’s football and they should just go for it. Dalton is a  stopgap vet but he’s simply below average at this point and this is the time of year  he is at his best. Once the temp drops and wind starts he's useless. Last week was the first time fields even was allowed to play with the 1s in practice. And he still hasn’t in a game. Nagy is an idiot.

The less Fields plays this season, the better off he will be.  He won’t be in the offense next season (agree, Nagy is an idiot and I expect the house to get cleaned) and he won’t get killed behind that putrid OL. 

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Fields will go on to be a great qb but he's a rookie. He's going to take his lumps.

At times he will look lost and struggle with playbook and have bad games.

But the talent is undeniably there. It's just going to take time

Agreed.  The Bears need to be patient with him...The last thing they should do is fire Nagy....They need Fields to be in the same system for multiple years.  That is what has helped Allen and that did not help Sam.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, who on the list I posted from NFL.com for the game are the starting WR?  Open Q, I have no idea how the Bears pre-season depthchart is pencilled in.

I have no idea what their depth chart looks like beyond Robinson as their #1.  What I do know, looking at the NFL gamebook from yesterday, is he's the only WR who didn't play yesterday.  Admittedly he's a really good player, but he's just 1 guy.  As for Kmet, they invested a high-ish 2nd rounder on him last year and I expect him to be their starting TE, but he's got to show a lot more than he has so far.

I didn't read the article yet, but Fields didn't save anyone from embarrassment IMO.  He is a rookie and has some nice potential, but I didn't think he played all that well.  If that was Josh in his rookie year, he would have gotten blasted in the media, but because Fields is high profile he gets praise instead.  

• Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Daboll landing spot???

Talk about putting out your “ Coaching prowess” resume for all to see. He took their garbage QB and smacked them in the mouth with him repeatedly and decisively. 

Common sentiment on the Bears forum.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

What is really odd is they also have Foles on roster.  Two very experienced QBs and one rookie who looks good running around but does not know how to buckle his helmet properly.  The Bears fans of course like the rookie for he is exciting but you cannot build a team on him.

I think it's ridiculous to have Foles & Dalton on the team.  Too much $ for a 3rd stringer & if Fields is their 3rd stringer they are in a lot of trouble.  Between Foles & Dalton, whoever has less guaranteed money has to go.  

Think the bears would be smart to have fields sit for most of this year, the game looked too fast for him. I think he has the potential to be very good, just needs time

The bills 3rd strings figured out how to play him in a series or 2. A good team thats able to game plan for fields, the game would get ugly

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

9 out of 19 (47% completion) for 80 yds (4.2 ypa) plus 46 yds on the ground.

Punt, TOD, TD, Punt, FG, TOD.

One could argue that Dalton did better with 11/17 (64.7% completion) for 146 (8.6 ypa), 1 TD 1 INT - it would actually translate to almost 300 yds passing over a game.

But, Fields is the New Shiny.

Dalton's stats were inflated by the one long desperation pass he threw to a well-covered receiver who made an outstanding catch.  Take that out and you get a much better picture of his play.  

Everyone is looking for the next Josh Allen.  Powerful body, great arm, excellent passer, fast runner.  Fields isn't that guy.  He might become a good QB but he lacks the tools Allen has in spades.  Fields might be a better runner than Allen but I'm not even sure about that.  For all the other factors, I didn't see anything that indicates great raw talent.  

If Foles isn't a better option than either of these two guys, for the Pace/Nagy team that's desperate to win NOW, then Foles is really shot.  

• Agree 1

Fields sure does look athletic playing with a bunch of 3rd and 4th stringers. And the game is just so slow for him already, right?

He is going to get eaten alive in the regular season. If he starts week 1 Aaron Donald is going to chew him up and spit him out. They might want to save him for the Bengals.

I predict the Bears won't win 5 games this year.

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

Fields sure does look athletic playing with a bunch of 3rd and 4th stringers. And the game is just so slow for him already, right?

He is going to get eaten alive in the regular season. If he starts week 1 Aaron Donald is going to chew him up and spit him out. They might want to save him for the Bengals.

I predict the Bears won't win 5 games this year.

That's kind of what I was thinking, he was sure getting around our edge a lot not sure that happens if the 1s or 2s are in there.

6 hours ago, artmalibu said:

Fields was 9 of 19, yes he is a rookie so not a reason for alarm. 

The Bears brass looked incompetent for letting Mitch go tho.... 

Ah, back in my day some kid rookie named Josh Allen was declared a bust and the worst pick in Bills history for performances like that.  Had to walk uphill in the snow both ways to watch the games too.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

9 out of 19 (47% completion) for 80 yds (4.2 ypa) plus 46 yds on the ground.

Punt, TOD, TD, Punt, FG, TOD.

One could argue that Dalton did better with 11/17 (64.7% completion) for 146 (8.6 ypa), 1 TD 1 INT - it would actually translate to almost 300 yds passing over a game.

But, Fields is the New Shiny.

Fields was alot better last week against the phins.  He had some pretty good highlights.

He had a set back against the Bills but in any learning process there are moments of progress and regression.

1 minute ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

For anyone who thinks Fields does not have NFL arm strength, look at the throws at the 8:35 and 10:50 mark.  Then entire 13 minute video is good and you can watch Trevor Lawrence play too.

This was a college playoff game where Fields threw for 5tds.

He can definitely throw it harder than Fromm. 

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

Ah, back in my day some kid rookie named Josh Allen was declared a bust and the worst pick in Bills history for performances like that.  Had to walk uphill in the snow both ways to watch the games too.

And some want a dome even if stadium costs twice as much to prevent him from getting frostbite again walking in snow.

7 hours ago, Doc said:

I have no idea what their depth chart looks like beyond Robinson as their #1.  What I do know, looking at the NFL gamebook from yesterday, is he's the only WR who didn't play yesterday.  Admittedly he's a really good player, but he's just 1 guy.  As for Kmet, they invested a high-ish 2nd rounder on him last year and I expect him to be their starting TE, but he's got to show a lot more than he has so far.

It is Robinson and Mooney (think they both sat?) Not sure who the starting slot would be given they traded Anthony Miller to Houston. Didn't they sign Goodwin?

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is Robinson and Mooney (think they both sat?) Not sure who the starting slot would be given they traded Anthony Miller to Houston. Didn't they sign Goodwin?

Mooney played and started.  And yes they signed Goodwin, who also started.

Edited by Doc

2 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

For anyone who thinks Fields does not have NFL arm strength, look at the throws at the 8:35 and 10:50 mark.  Then entire 13 minute video is good and you can watch Trevor Lawrence play too.

This was a college playoff game where Fields threw for 5tds.

Who in the world thinks he doesn’t have nfl arm strength? That’s a new one.

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

He can definitely throw it harder than Fromm. 

Water is wet lol 

I found Fields to be inconsistent in college.  Great one game and then sub-par the next.  

I think Watson was a much better prospect coming out.  Fields is going to put up stinkers, and then come back and upset someone the next week.  That is how I see it unfolding.

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Said it last night they have to start Fields for me. Dalton is totally shot. He was bad last year in Dallas I don't know who watched that and decided he was the answer. They are in a bit of a mess because Fields isn't ready and is raw and reminds me in many ways of Josh in his rookie pre-season but whereas at that point McDermott and Beane were at the start of something, had the credit in the bank of breaking the drought and could afford to let Josh take his lumps as a rook, Nagy and Pace are on the hotseat. If they don't win they are out.

Dysfunctional mess. Which is basically what the Bears have been since they fired Lovie Smith.

We started Nate Peter bro

• Haha (+1) 1

Justin Fields was lucky he was playing against 3rd stringers. A starting defense in the nfl would eat fields up . He’s a below average QB. There will be a lot of unhappy Bears fans the next few years.

Edited by wppete

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Which would be perfectly fine for the Bears..  They have to slow down the game for him and take his lumps.

Fine for him, but not fine for Nagy and his coaching staff. They are already on thin ice.

Ohio State does not produce NFL calibre QB's, though many of their QB's are highly touted to be able to excel at the pro level.

Buckeyes best pro QB ever was the undrafted Mike Tomczak. He had some moments ('85-'99), starting 78 games, including 5 playoff games in that 15 yr. span.

That he's the best QB ever from a long standing elite program like OSU, ain't saying much for their ability to develop NFL QB's there.

Odds aren't in Fields favor to buck that trend. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Doc said:

Fields going 9-19 for 80 yards (4.2 YPA) against 3rd stringers and players who won't be in football in about 2 weeks isn't cause to celebrate.  And what Mitchell did, playing with a lot of Bills non-starters, to their starting defense was humiliating.

This ^^^^ 

I have nothing against the Bears so I hope that the fields kid ends up working out for them that being said MT did embarrass the bears on Saturday

They threw away a number one overall pick QB and they had people on the radio saying that they were more excited about fields than they were about MT whenever he was drafted I call bull#### on that