Preseason Trade Predictions

I was looking at the potential 53, and for the first time in a LONG time, it seems relatively easy to figure out how the pieces fall into place. With the exception of maybe 6 roster spots, I think the top 46/47 guys are buttoned up. 

That being said, there seems to be a decent amount of young, players with potential that the Bills just can’t afford to keep. Pair this with Beane’s ability to turn roster bubble players into draft picks (see Teller, Wyatt) I imagine a potential trade is imminent. My guess is that it infiltrates the line.

Guys I could see on the go: 

OL: Lamp, Bates, Boettger

DL: Phillips, Zimmer, Johnson

What ya got?

I still think either Hughes or Addison could be traded if the rookies perform in preseason. 

We have a lot of depth at guard and I think Cody Ford could be on the move as well. 

Kumerow to the Packers seems almost inevitable considering our depth at receiver.

If he plays well in preseason, Antonio Williams could fetch a draft pick instead of being on the practice squad all season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I still think either Hughes or Addison could be traded if the rookies perform in preseason. 

We have a lot of depth at guard and I think Cody Ford could be on the move as well. 

Kumerow to the Packers seems almost inevitable considering our depth at receiver.

If he plays well in preseason, Antonio Williams could fetch a draft pick instead of being on the practice squad all season.

I don't see TD Jesus going anywhere. Not only does he offer size/speed combo and catch everything, he's a ST standout

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

What ya got?

I think a bigger name D-Line guy goes, I think Zim stays...I agree on your O-Line

The guy who is saying TD Jesus is going hasn't been paying attention.  HE is staying.....

Edited by Kwai San

24 minutes ago, BuffAlone said:

I don't see TD Jesus going anywhere. Not only does he offer size/speed combo and catch everything, he's a ST standout

There's just a logjam at the position this year. We have 4 roster locks with Diggs, Beasley, Davis, Sanders. After that we have McKenzie (who has shown he can play well in the slot, on jet sweeps, and may be our punt/kick returner), Hodgins who looked good before his injury last year, Stevenson who might get stashed away on the practice squad, and then Kumerow. He will need to win the job based on his special teams ability, and he will likely need to beat out Taiwan Jones (even though he's technically listed at rb). I just think Aaron Rodgers may make another trade demand to reunite with Kumerow and they'll probably need to overpay. 

Edited by Allen2Diggs
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I was looking at the potential 53, and for the first time in a LONG time, it seems relatively easy to figure out how the pieces fall into place. With the exception of maybe 6 roster spots, I think the top 46/47 guys are buttoned up. 

That being said, there seems to be a decent amount of young, players with potential that the Bills just can’t afford to keep. Pair this with Beane’s ability to turn roster bubble players into draft picks (see Teller, Wyatt) I imagine a potential trade is imminent. My guess is that it infiltrates the line.

What ya got?

I think Bates and Boettger stay but would add Hart to the list to O-line potential trades.  I also think somehow think one of the rookie tackles will end up on IR, thus saving a spot for Hart.

D line think Zimmer stays,  trade may be either Johnson or Obada, whomever can yield more in return as not sure the difference between them is that great.

39 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Can't see any team willing to take on Hughes and especially Addisons contract.  If Hughes doesn't get healthy soon he could be in trouble.  On the other hand if he stays on the PUP list they get a free pass and could keep him their as insurance if someone were to get hurt.

If Kumerow doesn't make the roster, the team likely to be first in line to sign him would be Green Bay, so can't see them trading for him.  On the other hand the 30 other team may be interested to get their hands on him before the Packers do.  The only way would be if Beane is ready to deal him elsewhere then Green Bay makes the trade to get him, but not sure if they'd be willing to kind of be black mailed into making the trade either.

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I think Bates and Boettger stay but would add Hart to the list to O-line potential trades.  

If Beane trades Bobby Hart, I will fall out of my chair from laughing.  He is terrible.  He is a human turnstile.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Isn't it nice to be talking about having to trade players who we would really like to be getting a lot of playing time,,,just because we have so much depth and beter players.   ....  Rather than hoping we can pick up a well hidden decent player from other team's cut downs !!!!!

2 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

There's just a logjam at the position this year. We have 4 roster locks with Diggs, Beasley, Davis, Sanders. After that we have McKenzie (who has shown he can play well in the slot, on jet sweeps, and may be our punt/kick returner), Hodgins who looked good before his injury last year, Stevenson who might get stashed away on the practice squad, and then Kumerow. He will need to win the job based on his special teams ability, and he will likely need to beat out Taiwan Jones (even though he's technically listed at rb). I just think Aaron Rodgers may make another trade demand to reunite with Kumerow and they'll probably need to overpay. 

A 3rd or 4th?  Goodie Goodie

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I think Bates and Boettger stay but would add Hart to the list to O-line potential trades.  I also think somehow think one of the rookie tackles will end up on IR, thus saving a spot for Hart.

D line think Zimmer stays,  trade may be either Johnson or Obada, whomever can yield more in return as not sure the difference between them is that great.

Can't see any team willing to take on Hughes and especially Addisons contract.  If Hughes doesn't get healthy soon he could be in trouble.  On the other hand if he stays on the PUP list they get a free pass and could keep him their as insurance if someone were to get hurt.

If Kumerow doesn't make the roster, the team likely to be first in line to sign him would be Green Bay, so can't see them trading for him.  On the other hand the 30 other team may be interested to get their hands on him before the Packers do.  The only way would be if Beane is ready to deal him elsewhere then Green Bay makes the trade to get him, but not sure if they'd be willing to kind of be black mailed into making the trade either.

I like blackmail

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I think a team out west like the Rams or Seahawks would be willing to trade for Addison or Hughes if they have a couple injuries. Not gonna get a lot but if they actually planned on cutting either guy it’s something. 

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

If Beane trades Bobby Hart, I will fall out of my chair from laughing.  He is terrible.  He is a human turnstile.

Well we did trade Lee smith, and even snagged a pick for Newhouse who may be worse than Hart

3 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I don't see Kumerow going anywhere considering he is able to play basically every role on teams.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

As far as a trade goes, I don't see getting much of anything for those names really. Maybe a 6th or 7th for Zimmer? Though in that case I'd prefer to just keep him if possible.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

5 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

What ya got?

NO WAY, BATES GOES ANYWHERE! He is one of the most valuable players on the team with his ability to play every oline position, and to play it competently.

Hodgins from the receivers room. On D, Butler for a late pick.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Well we did trade Lee smith, and even snagged a pick for Newhouse who may be worse than Hart

Those are two remarkable trades made by Beane because I didn't think the Bills could get anything for those guys.  My favorite trade along these lines is trading Russell Bodine for a 6th rounder.  IIRC, Bodine didn't last a week with the Cheaters.  If the Bills were to trade Hart, it might be Beane's best one yet.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Those are two remarkable trades made by Beane because I didn't think the Bills could get anything for those guys.  My favorite trade along these lines is trading Russell Bodine for a 6th rounder.  IIRC, Bodine didn't last a week with the Cheaters.  If the Bills were to trade Hart, it might be Beane's best one yet.

Yeah I forgot about Bodine. Beane has real wizard type skills sometimes 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Hart for a bag of footballs

When I was young, at the age of 11 I played soccer in a small club, Golkeeper was my position.

I was very good and a big club buys my rights. They paid... two bags with balls!

Should I say my rights were worth two Harts?

Man this is tough.Guys like Daryl Johnson and Isaiah Hodgins prob don’t have enough tape to get draft capital. Hughes and Addison are too old with bigger contracts for me seeing that to happen. 

The most likely guys I could see are Kumerow(the bills did cut him last year mid season), Harrison Phillips, and one of the Guards are most likely in my opinion. I could see a DE but who? Obada is the only one I can see but he seems to be having a good camp 

13 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Man this is tough.Guys like Daryl Johnson and Isaiah Hodgins prob don’t have enough tape to get draft capital. Hughes and Addison are too old with bigger contracts for me seeing that to happen.  

They're young and teams will remember scouting these guys, so they don't need a lot of game tape.

And being trade bait for a contender with depth like the Bills is not a red flag.

6 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

What ya got?

No team is giving you picks for those trash players

5 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I think they're going to be forced to keep 7 WRs:  Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, Davis, McKenzie, Kumerow, & Hodgins.  As a result, Taiwan Jones will not make the team as an extra RB/ST.   

I wouldnt be shocked if Hodgins got "IR"d in some way to keep him safe for the beginning of the season.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

What ya got?

Interesting players you have sited.  Maybe a Bates/Boettger but no way both are traded.

I want to add something about Butler.  I brought this up a while back but no one commented because of the way that thread was going.

IF Butler was put up for a trade do any Bills fans know what that would encompass?

Spotrac shows a Post June 1st Butler trade has the Bills eating $4.5M in cap hit with a $806k cap savings.

The team who would trade for Butler gets his services for less than $1M dollars.  That is pretty enticing for a vet DT needy team.

I wonder if Beane knew this when he did the Butler contract deal earlier this year?  I would think so.  It seems to me it makes a Butler trade

a realistic option.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I think they're going to be forced to keep 7 WRs:  Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, Davis, McKenzie, Kumerow, & Hodgins.  As a result, Taiwan Jones will not make the team as an extra RB/ST.   

If Kumerow produces in ST in preseason, I agree.  He’s more versatile, and that could then lead to Antonio Williams making it.  I think back to last year in the playoffs, and our RB’s were banged up, and our WR’s are banged up.  The other position group that seems to get injured more than others is the OLine.  I kind of like the idea of keeping the two mentioned above than Jones.

• Agree 2

Butler and/or Addison seem likely. Vets have value on the market, whereas young guys only have value to (and a future with) the team they practice with. There are enough other vets on the DL to maintain good leadership in the Bills locker room. 

I think Vernon Butler is a trade possibility.  Reportedly, he's been outplayed by cheaper players like Harrison Phillips and Justin Zimmer.  

On the offensive line, I'm less certain, Forrest Lamp maybe, or Bobby Hart.  There are a bunch who have no trade value and will get cut.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

I think Vernon Butler is a trade possibility.  Reportedly, he's been outplayed by cheaper players like Harrison Phillips and Justin Zimmer.  

On the offensive line, I'm less certain, Forrest Lamp maybe, or Bobby Hart.  There are a bunch who have no trade value and will get cut.

Doubt they would get much in a trade, but guess it's a possibility. Probably be cut more likely. Depends how everything plays out. Never know really.

It really is tough figuring out the best 53. It's not all roses as most of of our DL have a lot of negatives. At DE: Jerry and Addison are too old while Groot and Boogie are too young. Daryl Johnson is just great at STs....

Most of our DTs are mediocre to good no one is great. At least not yet.

The Bills need play makers in the front seven and we need to toughen up vs. the run.

We could do it with a ton of players but how many can we realistically keep?

Nine?

Ten?

11?

It is hard to finish a roster with 11 DL.... Jerry - Star - Ed - AJ --- backed up by: Groot - Harry - Zimmer - Boogie --- Backed up by: Efe - Butler - blank - Addison and we didn't get to Daryl Johnson yet.....How can we waive a young, talented STer?

Is he a core STer? I think he is..... No blue chippers here but potential for one..... It is really a dilemma I think, in a way....

What is the goal of the defense this year?  Is it to return to similar numbers of the prior two years when we were second and third in yards allowed in 2018 and 2019? Is that what we're shooting for? I'd like that but to also be more opportunistic as well. We were a plus four overall last year which isn't terrible but I'd like to be around a plus 15 this year. We should have leads and those leads should turn into turnovers imho..... So 2nd or 3rd in total yards allowed, plus a +15 in turnover differential. Does that give us Super Bowl this year?

I think it probably does....

To do that we need to get vs. the run and the pass. We have Star back and he sez he is feeling fine after sitting out a year.

Harry sez he is stronger and has less fat, let's here it for Harry. Leslie sez Ed should be making more splash plays this year. Let's hope Leslie opens some things up to allow Ed to thrive. Not much news from big Vernon this summer only that he is a tough waive due to his contract. At least he's huge. Lots of talk about Zimmer it sounds like he has made it but who Knows? We can't keep them all. It would be Awesome to here Daryl Johnson is flashing at end but so far no word except that he is a core STer . Lots of news about Groot looking good, let's hope to see him look like a high pick on Friday vs. the kitties. Same with AJ and Boogie. I want to see a lot of raw talent out of those three. We all do. Jerry is finally back and feels like another lock. Addison is in much better shape this year after losing a close loved one during covid ways too much for him last year. He says he is going to be better this year. Let's hope we see a ten sack player. We need everyone at their absolute best and for Leslie to get them attacking more often.

Tremaine is right up with anyone on the team as far as need goes. We need him (and Milano) to have monster years. Interceptions, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, sacks, TFLs, for those kind of plays to become routine for them. Maybe Poyer and Hyde as well. A winning front four is key for that, but so is knowing where the play is going, supreme confidence and lightening quick reflexes. Then you have to have the hands and power to stop guys in there tracks. I love Edmunds size and that he can stop guys and take them down. He's got to get that confidence down you get from being absolutely ready. And again, I think Leslie needs to let him play aggressively. 

Order of players we cant afford to lose: Allen (yes, he's still #1 even with Tribusky) TRE White, He still is #2 & we need a huge year out of him. Dion Dawkins is firmly in at #3. Especially so with Nsekhe gone, he is by far our best OL and he plays the premier position (LT). ..... Stefan Diggs is #4. I don't care how deep you think we are, Diggs is our #1 WR and our only #1 WR on the roster. (Although Sanders is an excellent #2 WR in the NFL. Beasley an excellent #3. Davis an excellent #4 but we don't know how high he might go. I think he may be able to make it as a #2 eventually; we'll see. Make no mistake though, Sanders is now our #2.). Then comes Tremaine I think. He's #5 maybe this year. He never leaves the field on defense. He calls the plays. He plays STs. He's huge back there and covers a lot of ground. I'm not sure who is his back up there. After five I think we go into groups....Or maybe it is just Daryl Williams all by himself? Geez, the guy can pass block like nobody's business. What a huge difference he made for Allen last season. Protecting Allen is paramount so I guess that makes his second best protector #6. Is Milano #7? Or is this where we get groups? Milano, Morse, Hyde, Poyer, Wallace And TJ? Maybe Sanders, Beasley, And Davis here as well? I think any of our DL lose value because we have so many but on the downside we have no blue chippers. (At least not yet). But there you have it. The top 5 most valuable Bills or the top five most irreplaceable Bills .... Allen, White, Dion, Diggs and Tremaine. With a #6 guess of Daryl Williams because he protects Allen and has a rookie backing him. (Unless it's Bates?) 

20 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

What ya got?

Boettger started almost half the season last year, that does add trade value, but would severely weaken the already iffy OG position.

Bates is the most versatile OL Buffalo has, again adds value in a trade but again, he is Buffalo's swiss army knife on the OL. Jack of all trades, master of none.

(yes I am waiting for the Master Bates jokes to roll in)

Zimmer is the type of inexpensive young players you need to build your roster around once the 5-10 stars are in place.

I see your thinking, but disagree.

On 8/10/2021 at 10:31 PM, RunJoshRun said:

If they try to stash Hodgins on the practice squad he'll be gone

I think he ends up on IR with a small injury that way they can activate him or keep him protected. Funny how guys end up on IR that they dont want to cut 😇

Prior to the Moss injury I thought there was a chance Singletary could be moved. I'm not sure you could even get a 5th rounder for him, probably most like a 6th.....but with Moss's hamstring injury that trade would be less likely