Edgerrin James made the HOF?

I'd have to look at his stats but from memory he was Hall of Very Good. I've had this problem for a while now, a lot of guys get in who I don't think should, but that's just me. I think the HOF should be the absolute best of the best, the real legends, if that means less people going in so be it.

The one that always comes to mind and has caused many arguments with me and people in bars is Kurt Warner. Very good player who had some great seasons and a great story, but to me, over the entire course of his career, he wasn't quite HOF. Now I know lots of people will disagree with that and that's great, but it's one of the reasons I think the HOF has become devalued a little

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 9

2 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I'd have to look at his stats but from memory he was Hall of Very Good. I've had this problem for a while now, a lot of guys get in who I don't think should, but that's just me. I think the HOF should be the absolute best of the best, the real legends, if that means less people going in so be it.

The one that always comes to mind and has caused many arguments with me and people in bars is Kurt Warner. Very good player who had some great seasons and a great story, but to me, over the entire course of his career, he wasn't quite HOF. Now I know lots of people will disagree with that and that's great, but it's one of the reasons I think the HOF has become devalued a little

The reason why I do think Kurt Warner is a HOF player is because of the franchises he turned around. 

The Rams were absolute garbage when he took over and he got them to a Super Bowl in his first year as a starter. He took them to 2 Super Bowls and although he had Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce, it's not the "Greatest Show on Turf" without him. 

After a couple rough years with injuries and a year as a lame duck QB as a backup to Eli, he goes to Arizona and takes over for Matt Leinart and turns around another garbage team, who despite having Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin (which the other QBs they had did nothing with) he takes them to a Super Bowl and has the Cardinals right there to beat the Steelers. He took the freaking Cardinals to a Super Bowl. 

2 franchises that were junk before he got there, he turned around. That is HOF worthy to me

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Ya. You certainly need to go look at his stats. 

over 15,000 scrimmage yards. He ran for 1500 yds or more 4 times and 1200 yds or more 6 times. He led the league in rushing twice and was easily regarded as a top 5 back for the first 6 to 7 years of his career. He also accumulated 430 receptions over his 11 years. 

James was considered Elite for a good stretch of his career. “Very good” doesn’t sum up most of his career. The guy was truly elite for a long stretch. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 4

16 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

The reason why I do think Kurt Warner is a HOF player is because of the franchises he turned around. 

The Rams were absolute garbage when he took over and he got them to a Super Bowl in his first year as a starter. He took them to 2 Super Bowls and although he had Marshall Faulk, Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce, it's not the "Greatest Show on Turf" without him. 

After a couple rough years with injuries and a year as a lame duck QB as a backup to Eli, he goes to Arizona and takes over for Matt Leinart and turns around another garbage team, who despite having Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin (which the other QBs they had did nothing with) he takes them to a Super Bowl and has the Cardinals right there to beat the Steelers. He took the freaking Cardinals to a Super Bowl. 

2 franchises that were junk before he got there, he turned around. That is HOF worthy to me

Yeah I do get the argument for him being in there. He did bookend his career brilliantly with the Super Bowls for different teams, and very nearly pulling off a win for the Cards. The down years in the middle have always bothered me with him

9 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I think that is a great analysis of Kurt Warner Buffalo 03.  I loved his game.  His first season with the Rams is one of Legend.   Didn't he throw for over 300 yards and 3TD's in his first 3 games.  The way he threw a football was a thing of beauty.  Also a great leader and seemed to be a real good guy.  He was as good as anyone who played the position during his career.    

1 minute ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The interesting one will be Frank Gore. Was Gore ever elite? Maybe one year? But he has like 17,000 scrimmage yards. HOF worthy IMO. But never a guy who was really elite. 

1st time ballet for sure

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The interesting one will be Frank Gore. Was Gore ever elite? Maybe one year? But he has like 17,000 scrimmage yards. HOF worthy IMO. But never a guy who was really elite. 

Thats a great point. 

Does longevity count towards getting in the HOF? I mean sure stats do but it took Gore almost 20 seasons to get them

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Steve Tasker would be a better choice

:thumbdown:

Or that Zack E..Z guy.  Oh wait wrong thread. What about Deshaun, crap never mind.  What’s going on with Rodgers?  I heard there might be a ….

Oh forget it.

Seriously James was worthy IMO.  The stats mentioned by Nasty above really spell it out.  His knees later in his career is probably where one would think is he..  I really thought Indy was nuts letting Faulk go until I saw how good James was following him.

Just now, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Thats a great point. 

Does longevity count towards getting in the HOF? I mean sure stats do but it took Gore almost 20 seasons to get them

I think it does play a role. 

Some players are just incredibly unique even if they are were never elite at their position. That is one reason why I think Fitz actually does deserve consideration. Especially if he has a good season with Washington and leads them to the post-season.   Never elite, besides 4 game stretches in September and early October. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

He was very good. HOF worthy? Yeah, I guess. Seen a lot of players less qualified let in. Almost 16,000 scrimmage yards in a career is impressive. Never duplicated his magnificent rookie season.

He ran for more yards the next year and the then in years 6 and 7 had 2 more 1500+ Yd rushing seasons. So I don’t really agree with that. He was an elite back for a good stretch of time. 

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

My argument for Kurt is you cannot tell the story of the NFL without the greatest show on turf. It was an offense ahead of its time in many ways Quarterbacked by a nobody who became the MVP. I think Eli Manning (who will make it) gets in for the same reason. I think Kurt was a better Quarterback at his best than Eli at his. But to me they both belong in the hall. 

Philip Rivers will be the most intriguing. I think he is pretty much a lock to get in but I don't think he should be.

EDIT: on Edg James I did think Hall of Very Good but he isn't a player whose making it offends me.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

My argument for Kurt is you cannot tell the story of the NFL without the greatest show on turf. It was an offense ahead of its time in many ways Quarterbacked by a nobody who became the MVP. I think Eli Manning (who will make it) gets in for the same reason. I think Kurt was a better Quarterback at his best than Eli at his. But to me they both belong in the hall. 

Philip Rivers will be the most intriguing. I think he is pretty much a lock to get in but I don't think he should be.

EDIT: on Edg James I did think Hall of Very Good but he isn't a player whose making it offends me.

Yeah, Manning is an interesting one and when he does make it I think the decision will be polarising with fans. On the one hand I don't think he should, but to beat Brady twice and to do it with game winning drives the way he did, that in itself will be enough to push him in. I have no problem with Manning getting in because to see the Giants leave Brady and Belichick crying on the sidelines not once but twice were truly wonderful moments in my NFL life. The first one especially, when Plax caught that TD I jumped in the air as though the Bills had won a SB.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

over 15,000 scrimmage yards. He ran for 1500 yds or more 4 times and 1200 yds or more 6 times. He led the league in rushing twice and was easily regarded as a top 5 back for the first 6 to 7 years of his career. He also accumulated 430 receptions over his 11 years. 

James was considered Elite for a good stretch of his career. “Very good” doesn’t sum up most of his career. The guy was truly elite for a long stretch. 

yes, those stats are well beyond very good, 8 times over 1,200 yards!  I was going to look them up then saw your post; surprised, and definitely very deserving of the Hall of Fame.  And from what I recall, a good character guy too.  Nice take!

1 hour ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Thats a great point. 

Longevity is one of the biggest aspects of Hall of Fame. If not Bryce Paup and Mario Williams are probably in the Hall 

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

With 9  1,000 yard rushing seasons and THIRD all time in the NFL, I think Gore will roller skate into the Hall of Fame.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

yes, those stats are well beyond very good, 8 times over 1,200 yards!  I was going to look them up then saw your post; surprised, and definitely very deserving of the Hall of Fame.  And from what I recall, a good character guy too.  Nice take!

Easily one of the most underrated backs of all time. He’s easy to forget about and I’m not sure why. I’m guilty of it. He was truly elite for a good 6 to 7 year stretch. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

He had the Curtis martin route and will likewise get in. It won’t be particularly interesting, as it will be well deserved.

14 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Easily one of the most underrated backs of all time. He’s easy to forget about and I’m not sure why. I’m guilty of it. He was truly elite for a good 6 to 7 year stretch. 

Indianapolis isn’t a sexy market. Manning and the passing game got all the headlines. no one thought of the colts as a team with a consequential running back when talking about the team over a beer. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

rivers is an interesting one if we are looking for an interesting debate here 

1 hour ago, Mister Defense said:

I didn't realize those were his stats. I know he was a great player. Now that I have looked them up myself, he is worthy. I never realized he had four 1500 yard or more seasons. That's amazing 

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 1

James was a very good back, who produced yards consistently, but he was never a guy defenses feared, or who could take over a game.  He played on a great team and made it better than it would have been.  I'm not upset that he's in, but I would have been just as fine if he hadn't made it. 

For me, there's stats and then there's the eyeball test.  Gore and James make it on stats but I've seen a lot of backs that were better.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I never saw him as a HoF caliber back.  I’d vote no.  His durability after those injuries as a kid was incredible though.  Very good back.  Not HoF 

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

James was a very good back, who produced yards consistently, but he was never a guy defenses feared, or who could take over a game.  He played on a great team and made it better than it would have been.  I'm not upset that he's in, but I would have been just as fine if he hadn't made it. 

For me, there's stats and then there's the eyeball test.  Gore and James make it on stats but I've seen a lot of backs that were better.

link please

I think the HOF is filled with players from all eras that were standout performers for their time, though not all-time legends. Hell, many people could argue many of our own Bills legends are borderline HOF worthy, but we see them as all-timers for our franchise.

Do I think he was an all-time legend? Not really, but he has more rushing yards than a lot of HOF RB's, was great for his era, and definitely helped make the Colts more than just the Peyton Manning show. He also had a couple 1,000+ yard seasons in Arizona, and was pretty much a reliable workhorse RB until injuries shut him down.

I dunno, I can see both sides, but I'm in favor of giving them the nod. There are people that think a special team's player like Tasker should never be in, but we Bills fans know otherwise. I think in that Colts era, people like Harrison & James were pretty key to the Colts' success (outside of Manning).

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Frank Gore is much more worthy than Edgerrin. I don’t see Edgerrin as a HoF player. The NFL story can be told with out him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Eli is very Meh to me...I never thought he was anything great.

Highest QB rating for a season was 93.6, career 84.1...most TDs in a season were 35 which he did once.

The only thing he ever led the league in a season was INTs thrown which he did 3 times.

That's just not good enough for a HOF worthy QB.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 2

I also just saw something about him making the HOF & was surprised, I don't think he belongs. Yes, he put up great numbers for 4-5 years with Manning, but he was just pretty good after he left the Colts. While the guys who replaced him in Indy put up similar numbers in that offense to what James had done. He's 13th in career rushing yards, but I think that's more a product of being a 300+ carry workhorse than being great.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Eli is very Meh to me...I never thought he was anything great.

Highest QB rating for a season was 93.6, career 84.1...most TDs in a season were 35 which he did once.

The only thing he ever led the league in a season was INTs thrown which he did 3 times.

That's just not good enough for a HOF worthy QB.

I agree but again I ask can you write the story of the NFL without those two comebacks in the Superbowl? My answer is no and so I'd put him in. 

10 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

But how does it look without Peyton?

Thurman was a trend setter. He redefined what a RB can do giving people like James a new path. The rest that followed, specifically if they had an elite QB, I don't trust the numbers. It starts to become who were you drafted by? James was an excellent player, but I still think the Peyton led Colts don't skip a beat without him and if he was drafted by the Bengals we aren't talking about this.

HOF players have to be capable of taking over a game or be responsible for a shift in play. I said Thurman earlier because like Thurman, James was applauded for his dual skill set. That said, Thurman allowed James to be James. So you can speak in similar terms with both but only one of them was a trend setter. James was never a guy that could simply take over and dominate and that should be the HOF standard. Stats are meaningless in this conversation. Could James take over a game without Peyton? I don't see it. 

• Agree 1