Browns head coach has Covid

DBilz2500

19 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Pretty sure the Steelers are sending care packages to their upcoming opponents filled with Covid infected blankets and fire water.  Ravens, Titans, and now Browns?  Biological warfare is the only reasonable explanation for the trend at this point.  

In Italia 90 Word Cup, Argentina plays Brazil in elimination game (round of 16).

in some moment of the game, a brazilian player drinks water from a Argentinian assitant waterbotle and  it is believed that the water had xanax (a drug).

here is the history in spanish (I cant find the history in english, but you can use the translator - or learn spanisha).

https://as.com/futbol/2020/06/24/reportajes/1592979406_201752.html

2 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/05/browns-coach-kevin-stefanski-has-covid-19-mike-priefer-is-acting-head-coach/

Poor Browns. Wait 18 years and their head coach/playcaller will miss the playoff game 

I still can’t fathom why they wouldn’t set up a quarantine box so they can call the game at least. Not ideal but these guys work so hard for this. 

id lock myself and team in the building and bubble up. 

54 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

I have a hard time feeling sorry for Baker, Landry, and the Browns.

I have nothing against the Browns.  Landry?  He IS a POS.  Baker?  Those commercials are annoying but all in all he doesn't bother me as much as his WR's do.

Go BILLS!

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I couldn't disagree more.

It's not a co-incidence that this seems to keep happening to the same team(s).

At some point, being responsible for your own procedures becomes more important than being accommodated by other people.

I say that your time and date are set in stone and you bring who you can bring.

If you've got to put a 340lb DT at the X receiver, too bad you should have done a better job following protocol.

If you've got a long snapper lining up at Corner, too bad, you should have done a better job following protocol.

If you've got a LB taking snaps from a punter, too bad, you should have done a better job following protocol.

good points. I don’t disagree with you on a lot of this. 

the concern I have is the NFL cannot see one of its star players here come down with covid through no fault of their own. And even the model teams, get a positive here and there, and then that knocks out a few others based on contact tracing. 

The idea I proposed a few weeks ago was basically each player can designate a protected player or two. If that person had to go on the covid list, you reschedule. To minimize issues, you could make that rule applicable to just the divisional or conference games and beyond. 

2 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/05/browns-coach-kevin-stefanski-has-covid-19-mike-priefer-is-acting-head-coach/

Poor Browns. Wait 18 years and their head coach/playcaller will miss the playoff game 

he’s a good coach.  How much you want to bet they house him somewhere where he is on real time, 10 different videos and a direct feed to all his major guys, OC, DC,Line Coach and so on.

it’s not like he is not used to super multi tasking.

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

good points. I don’t disagree with you on a lot of this. 

the concern I have is the NFL cannot see one of its star players here come down with covid through no fault of their own. And even the model teams, get a positive here and there, and then that knocks out a few others based on contact tracing. 

The idea I proposed a few weeks ago was basically each player can designate a protected player or two. If that person had to go on the covid list, you reschedule. To minimize issues, you could make that rule applicable to just the divisional or conference games and beyond. 

The thing that concerns me is essentially the Kroft situation, where apparently he had one positive test and was ruled out, followed by 5 negative tests.

The lab has to do better there, and the NFL has to do better there.  Can you imagine if they ruled out a star or key player who had no known contacts with an infected person, then had 5 successive negative tests, and it arguably cost a playoff game?

3 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

he’s a good coach.  How much you want to bet they house him somewhere where he is on real time, 10 different videos and a direct feed to all his major guys, OC, DC,Line Coach and so on.

it’s not like he is not used to super multi tasking.

To avoid interference, I think the NFL has pretty strict protocols about communications.  If they allow a communication protocol where a coach outside the stadium can be patched in, that means they're opening a window where interference can occur (think all the Foxborough stories)

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

The thing is they’re not being careful. I know it for a fact. A friend of mine is related to a Browns player and another lives in Cleveland... he said his friends saw Baker and Kareem out at the bar with a few teammates after they clinched a playoff spot. 

I asked him why nobody snapped a photo and they said “we wouldn’t do that to our own.” 

I then said, “Well how do you know your friends aren’t lying?”

To which he replied “Well Baker’s wife posted a photo of them there, but you can’t tell where they are unless you know the bar.” 

Here’s the link...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJomL2YFHLs/?hl=en

Cleveland fans deserved so much better than that.  That is complete and utter BS their players would clearly and willingly violate NFL COVID protocols the week before the playoffs after their team breaks the longest playoff drought in the NFL.

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So the NFL said there was no evidence of spread within the facility prior to Sunday, which is why game went on.

The question is, are these still separate instances vs. spread within the facility?  Or are we now dealing with a Ravens-like outbreak?

Not just was there no evidence the prior positives weren't from team spread, there was objective evidence that it was not.  They tested positive for three different strains of the virus.  Team spread within the facility would be a uniform strain leaping from person to person.  I'm sure the league will do what they did last time and have the test samples genome sequenced to get an idea of what they're dealing with and go from there. 

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The thing that concerns me is essentially the Kroft situation, where apparently he had one positive test and was ruled out, followed by 5 negative tests.

The lab has to do better there, and the NFL has to do better there.  Can you imagine if they ruled out a star or key player who had no known contacts with an infected person, then had 5 successive negative tests, and it arguably cost a playoff game?

To avoid interference, I think the NFL has pretty strict protocols about communications.  If they allow a communication protocol where a coach outside the stadium can be patched in, that means they're opening a window where interference can occur (think all the Foxborough stories)

TY.  Good point.  It’s sad as I just don’t see the issue.  There are easy ways to set up safe and strict communications, but appreciate the reminder.

If other businesses can easily do it, I don’t get why the NFL can’t, but again, if a policy and didn’t know to be honest so my fault, there has to be consistency.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

exactly; I was thinking of the Kroft debacle too. 

19 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Can’t believe the NFL gave the titans 3 weeks off and bent over for them but the browns are being forced to play their games 

Things were different back then. The league was still learning as it went. Now they have a better idea of how it usually goes and what needs to be done in response. Still not perfect, but it is uncharted waters.

Based on the way the Browns seem to be conducting themselves and the rumors of players breaking protocol and going out to celebrate (I realize these are just rumors), they may just be happy that they made the playoffs and satisfied with their season at this point.  Watching and listening to the Bills players lately you can tell their attitude is much different this season based on the fact that they all expect to be a superbowl contender.  

23 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

Can’t believe the NFL gave the titans 3 weeks off and bent over for them but the browns are being forced to play their games 

These are extremely different situations that really aren't comparable...yet.  Titans had COVID spreading through their lockerroom hitting new players every day.  They had to push games to stop the spread within the team AND to others.  Browns positive tests thus far (until today) have all ben isolated where the players/coaches contracted it from outside and the virus was not spreading from player to player.  Extremely different scenario.  Remains to be seen about today's positive tests though.  The league hasn't played favorites.  Intra-team outbreaks are treated differently than isolated contraction from outside and have been all year.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo ill said:

Well the giants shut down Joe Montana to reach the SB.  It was never about Jeff Hostetler.  

That's very true. It was more that RB that beat us.

They always praise BB's defensive gameplan - but was it really all that? We scored 19 points in 20 minutes.  I feel like they won by keeping the K-Gun off the field.

That near 10-minute drive to start the 3rd quarter was the game changer.

1 hour ago, Domitian said:

These are extremely different situations that really aren't comparable...yet.  Titans had COVID spreading through their lockerroom hitting new players every day.  They had to push games to stop the spread within the team AND to others.  Browns positive tests thus far (until today) have all ben isolated where the players/coaches contracted it from outside and the virus was not spreading from player to player.  Extremely different scenario.  Remains to be seen about today's positive tests though.  The league hasn't played favorites.  Intra-team outbreaks are treated differently than isolated contraction from outside and have been all year.

You left out the part where the Titans players held practices outside of their facility when they were supposed to be closed down. You can’t say the Browns broke protocol and the Titans didn’t. Fan bases across the country thought the Titans should have forfeited because they had multiple position groups meeting to practice after they closed the facility. It wasn’t just Bills fans making the noise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Except it it wasn't. It affect the Bills when they were lowest with Allen and injured shoulder.

I meant teams that contracted Covid were set to play the Steelers. Titans in week 4, Ravens in week 8, and now the Browns. Just pointing out the coincidence.

2 hours ago, chknwing334 said:

Based on the way the Browns seem to be conducting themselves and the rumors of players breaking protocol and going out to celebrate (I realize these are just rumors), they may just be happy that they made the playoffs and satisfied with their season at this point.  Watching and listening to the Bills players lately you can tell their attitude is much different this season based on the fact that they all expect to be a superbowl contender.  

I hadn’t heard the rumors, but the other times we’ve seen Covid affect a team so widespread and throughout all levels of staff and position groups, it’s been a direct result of negligence. I am definitely suspicious. 

The NFL has no choice but to go forward with playoff games as scheduled.  Nothing can be done.  Games can't be postponed for this team or that team repeatedly, and push the SB into late February or early March.

...and yes, this really sucks for Cleveland and its fans.

Edited by BTB

Hope he gets well soon with no long term side effects.