Browns head coach has Covid

DBilz2500

Just now, Big Turk said:

No, they have been clear on this the way they handled it.

They don't care who is out for a team.  If contact tracing and testing reveals they have it controlled then the game is played and those players go on the COVID list.

If there is an ACTIVE outbreak where players are testing positive for multiple days and they don't have it controlled then the game gets moved for medical reasons.  The last thing they want to do is turn 1 outbreak into 2 or even more if those teams play other teams.

This APPEARS to be a active outbreak, meaning the NFL would have to move the game.

Isn't that basically what I said? Movement for severe outbreak, not just because important players or coaches are out.  Whether or not this is a severe active outbreak will be decided by the league and their medical folks.  So far the positive teams afflicting the Browns have, according to the league, not been due to internal spread but through contracting COVID outside of the team.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

If we end up making a run and face a team like Green Bay in the SB, and then Rogers gets it and misses the game?

That's asterisk to me.  Don't want that, at all.

Again, no one cares about "asterisks". No one says anything about Washington's 1987 Super Bowl.

You may hear about it next year, but in another 3-5 years it would just be the "Bills finally won a Super Bowl in 2020".

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

So when the players who are asymptomatic give it to the other team and then the other team plays next week and gives it to that team we are just going to have a chain reaction that goes through the entire league?  That is just not thought out well.

So in fact you want them to play with players who are likely positive to give it to the Steelers who then play the Bills if we both win so the Bills can then have an active outbreak?  Yeah, NOOOOOOOOOOO!

NFL game conduct has not been shown to spread illness.

Doing hug bro with face to each other more likely.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Again, no one cares about "asterisks". No one says anything about Washington's 1987 Super Bowl.

You may hear about it next year, but in another 3-5 years it would just be the "Bills finally won a Super Bowl in 2020".

No one cares (or league pretends) about P******s repeating cheating.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Success said:

I would tend to agree, though that will create its own set of issues.

I don't think the NFL can just take a passive "whatever happens, happens" approach to this.  If any key player or coach misses a game, it can taint the whole thing - particularly the further we go.  And while there are times when the accountability is w/ the individual or team, there is nothing foolproof against COVID - you can wear masks & distance & wash hands, and still get it.

They should try to do a bubble for at least the conference championship & SB weeks.

Funny enough to your example, Aaron Rodgers has been one of the more outspoken players on saying he would absolutely not bubble even just for the playoffs. So if he catches it and is out, that's definitely on him.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Success said:

If we end up making a run and face a team like Green Bay in the SB, and then Rogers gets it and misses the game?

Hypothetical as well for you.  If we end up making a run and face Green Bay in the SB and Rogers misses the game because he broke his leg in the NFC Championship...what then?  What if he misses the game due to debilitating migraines?  What about the Flu?  When did this, "the victory only counts if you play a team with all their stars" come from?  Missing games due to injury and illness happens.  

Edited by Domitian
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Domitian said:

Hypothetical as well for you.  If we end up making a run and fave Green Bay in the SB and Rogers misses the game because he broke his leg in the NFC Championship...what then?  When did this, the victory only counts if you play a team with all their stars.  Missing games due to injury and illness happens.  

To this point, If we had won SB25 would there have been as asterisk since Hoestetler started?

I would love to somehow know what keeps leading to the Browns covid issues, but it sure seems like they are having more issues than the average team.  Are they careless or selfishly not doing all they can to stay safe?  Are they following all of the protocols?  They have some players that I do not think too highly of, so my opinion is probably a little biased.  I have a hard time feeling sorry for Baker, Landry, and the Browns.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

NFL needs to reschedule. This is going to happen to other teams. Better to set a precedent now. 

If critical players or coaches are out, reschedule. If it means playing the super bowl in March, so be it. 

NFL is not going to accommodate anyone unless it’s Mahomes or Rodgers that get it.

it’s really worrisome,  because if a team does have an outbreak there really isn’t much time to reschedule game without it impacting the next round.  No way the NFL pushes back date of Super Bowl.  Maybe they use the BYe week before Super Bowl as buffer?

1 minute ago, Domitian said:

Hypothetical as well for you.  If we end up making a run and face Green Bay in the SB and Rogers misses the game because he broke his leg in the NFC Championship...what then?  What if he misses the game due to debilitating migraines?  What about the Flu?  When did this, "the victory only counts if you play a team with all their stars" come from?  Missing games due to injury and illness happens.  

I get what you're saying. But this is such a unique year; other leagues have taken much more extensive measures to protect against those kinds of scenarios.

The NFL is more complicated, but they do seem to have a "whatever happens, happens" approach.  I think they could do more.

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

So when the players who are asymptomatic give it to the other team and then the other team plays next week and gives it to that team we are just going to have a chain reaction that goes through the entire league?  That is just not thought out well.

So in fact you want them to play with players who are likely positive to give it to the Steelers who then play the Bills if we both win so the Bills can then have an active outbreak?  Yeah, NOOOOOOOOOOO!

They're getting tested on gameday.

Nobody is stepping on a field and shedding virus.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

I get what you're saying. But this is such a unique year; other leagues have taken much more extensive measures to protect against those kinds of scenarios.

The NFL is more complicated, but they do seem to have a "whatever happens, happens" approach.  I think they could do more.

I'm all in favor of the league "doing more" if it would benefit player health and safety.  But I am less in favor of making major changes and disruptions to everyone to keep star players on the field or for competitive balance and whatnot.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Domitian said:

Isn't that basically what I said? Movement for severe outbreak, not just because important players or coaches are out.  Whether or not this is a severe active outbreak will be decided by the league and their medical folks.  So far the positive teams afflicting the Browns have, according to the league, not been due to internal spread but through contracting COVID outside of the team.  

I find it hard to believe that 5 people all got COVID around the same time outside the facility when they are trying to be careful about who they are around. I am not sure what the odds on that would be, but I would suspect pretty low.

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

To this point, If we had won SB25 would there have been as asterisk since Hoestetler started?

That’s far fetched. An injury has always been part of the NFL landscape. 

This is is a year without fans and then if the star quarterback or groups of players start missing playoff games or the Super Bowl it will very much be viewed as watered down. 

I hope all the teams stick tight and do they best they can because Josh Allen is about to put on a show and I don’t want any wiggle room for asterisk talk.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

The NBA and NHL did in order to finish the previous season, but they arent bubbling now and are starting to deal with the same issues. Look at the NBA stars already missing games due to simply breaking protocols.

Just now, Big Turk said:

I find it hard to believe that 5 people all got COVID around the same time outside the facility when they are trying to be careful about who they are around. I am not sure what the odds on that would be, but I would suspect pretty low.

You may very well be right.  However I'm a tech sales person, not an epidemiologist.  I'll let the experts do their contact tracing and determine what's going on with the Browns.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

That’s far fetched. An injury has always been part of the NFL landscape. 

This is is a year without fans and then if the star quarterback or groups of players start missing playoff games or the Super Bowl it will very much be viewed as watered down. 

I hope all the teams stick tight and do they best they can because Josh Allen is about to put on a show and I don’t want any wiggle room for asterisk talk.

That's why it needs to be more compared to a strike year, like 1987, than any other typical year. No one discounts that Washington win.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

That's why it needs to be more compared to a strike year, like 1987, than any other typical year. No one discounts that Washington win.

We have waited so long, if this is the year I hope we beat the Mahomes and Rodgers so there is zero doubt from other fans.

Either way for us it will be great. 

Like you said with 87’ then we have tuck rule, spygate. The “covid” year, no thanks. That’s all I will hear from the Pats fans. It’s an easy way out. 

Opposing fans always look for a way to discredit other teams. Some valid some not. Crossing my fingers that the Browns are one and done and everyone else stays healthy. 

4 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

If it was Mahomes or Rodgers that was Covid positive, or even Andy Reid, I gotta think the nfl would bend over backwards to help them be there for the game

They didn't for Lamar earlier this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The thing is they’re not being careful. I know it for a fact. A friend of mine is related to a Browns player and another lives in Cleveland... he said his friends saw Baker and Kareem out at the bar with a few teammates after they clinched a playoff spot. 

I asked him why nobody snapped a photo and they said “we wouldn’t do that to our own.” 

I then said, “Well how do you know your friends aren’t lying?”

To which he replied “Well Baker’s wife posted a photo of them there, but you can’t tell where they are unless you know the bar.” 

Here’s the link...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJomL2YFHLs/?hl=en

• Like (+1) 2

id be pissed if I were Pittsburgh.  

They got to rest their starters (even at the risk of costing the #2 seed) in order to rest.  They drew a banged up Cleveland team who had to fight to the end.  A delay would undermine the Steelers' advantage

3 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

The thing is they’re not being careful. I know it for a fact. A friend of mine is related to a Browns player and another lives in Cleveland... he said his friends saw Baker and Kareem out at the bar with a few teammates after they clinched a playoff spot. 

I asked him why nobody snapped a photo and they said “we wouldn’t do that to our own.” 

To which he replied “Well Baker’s wife posted a photo of them there, but you can’t tell where they are unless you know the bar.” 

Here’s the link...

Guess that is what happens when you are just happy to be there...Bills in 2017 might have done the same thing.

• Like (+1) 1

Pretty sure the Steelers are sending care packages to their upcoming opponents filled with Covid infected blankets and fire water.  Ravens, Titans, and now Browns?  Biological warfare is the only reasonable explanation for the trend at this point.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I just checked their forum and, swear to God, this is the first thread:

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/board/105323/Contents/so-umm-anyone-doubt-that-the-curse-is-real-158582916/

18 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Here’s the link...

From a safe and social distancing standpoint its impossible to tell whats really happening in the picture IMO. I think its very possible any owner of an establishment in Cleveland may offer Baker Mayfield a safe and isolated part of the building to wine and Dine IMO.

Thanks OP, On a side note I'm always impressed with how TBD compares to other sports forums around the country.

SDS does it best...

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Here’s the link...

I haven't read anything where it was determined any of the latest players/coaches contracted the virus due to breaking protocols. 

37 minutes ago, Success said:

Kind of like when Hostetler had to fill in for Simms?

Common man.

• Like (+1) 2

I actually feel bad for the Browns, they waited a long time. We just have to keep our fingers crossed. I’m not sure why that can’t be the common sentiment, everything else is secondary. 

32 minutes ago, Success said:

We've waited decades for this.  It will really ruin me if we get one of these kinds of headlines in the next few weeks.

Oh, well - that's the nature of the times.  Just gotta deal, and hope for the best.

Yep, it’s just the way it is. People forget how unpredictable football is to begin with. You’re lucky if you have all starters for the playoffs during a normal season. Good luck and fortunate always play a huge role in football. 

• Thank you (+1) 1