Bills sign Kenny Stills to PS

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Magox said:

A, it's not a rush and B, it's not to change things.   Stills in their view represents an opportunity to improve the team.  That may not necessarily mean for the playoffs, it could be a move for the long-term.  Either way, Beane has earned the right to make these personnel decisions especially considering that comparatively speaking since he's taken over, he's been one of the best.

I like the signing -- I just don't get the push from some to change something that's already working by benching some combination of Roberts, McKenzie, Davis, etc. for someone fresh off the street,

16 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I can understand your point, I just don’t think it’s a forgone outcome is all. 

Definitely not a foregone conclusion.

And I have nothing against Davis.  He's a Bill and I'll support him until he's no longer one.  I just want the best offense the Bills can field.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBobs said:

I like the signing -- I just don't get the push from some to change something that's already working by benching some combination of Roberts, McKenzie, Davis, etc. for someone fresh off the street,

Exactly.....he is just an insurance policy in case someone gets hurt during the playoff run.

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder if Stills was told that he is nothing more than an insurance policy against any playoff injuries at the WR position? I can't see him just stepping in, and jumping any of the top 5 guys.

Hoping he understands his role, learns the playbook, and is a good teammate during positional meetings.

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBobs said:

I like the signing.  I (and Ii hope the FO) view it as Smoke Brown insurance.  I don't think Davis adequately filled Smoke's role when he was out.  G Davis is a learning rookie and IMO has been making mistakes that are no longer allowed.   G Davis had not made a sufficient effort to stay inbounds and pick up a PI in the NE game.  In the Miami game he didn't come back for the ball.  Small things like that.

G Davis has a future with the Bills but the playoff games are not the time for his development.  There is now a superbowl opportunity ahead of the Bills.  If J Brown goes down, I want Stills to be able to go in.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, BTB said:

I wonder if Stills was told that he is nothing more than an insurance policy against any playoff injuries at the WR position? I can't see him just stepping in, and jumping any of the top 5 guys.

Hoping he understands his role, learns the playbook, and is a good teammate during positional meetings.

Honestly, who cares?  He is not a moron, he has been in the NFL, understands it better than us fans.  This gives him a opportunity to latch opportunity to latch onto the hottest team in the NFL and maybe get a nearly free  golden ticket to the Super Bowl.  A shot very , very few players would turn down.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Honestly, who cares?  He is not a moron, he has been in the NFL, understands it better than us fans.  This gives him a opportunity to latch opportunity to latch onto the hottest team in the NFL and maybe get a nearly free  golden ticket to the Super Bowl.  A shot very , very few players would turn down.

If the alternative is sitting home on the couch I’d say “WHERE DO I SIGN?”  Especially in this dynamic offense that has a way of making guys look great. 

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Yes!!  and make a few bucks while having an opportunity to increase his value for a contract next year.  

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I think he could probably play over McKenzie. McKenzie seems to be a guy they don’t want to give a lot of volume to under normal circumstances. I may be wrong. 

Well, if that was true, "Go Go Gadget McKenzie" emphatically stated his case to turn up the volume yesterday.

If Beasley doesn’t play I think Stills takes over for Brown, Diggs for Beasley and Brown for Diggs. 

With all respect, I think that would be dumb.  If you are just missing one guy, do the minimum of shifting about that you can.  McKenzie was asked the question "what would you do with a bigger role?" yesterday and his answer was "6 receptions on 9 targets, 65 yds, 2 TD, 116 return yards plus a return TD.  Next question?"

I don't think Stills sees the field unless we are missing 2 of the starters (eg Brown + Bease) or if Brown gets hurt again as he may have that "uncoachable" thing, speed the rest of them don't have.

If Beasley does play, I think we only actively 2 TE (Knox and Smith) and use a PS call up for Stills. 
We’d have Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis and Stills in 5 WR sets as well as McKenzie to come in for any of those guys and threaten a gadget play. 

I dunno, my personal perception is that the Bills are likely to try to isolate a couple of WR in a "break glass if emergency" sense.  They tried an experiment in the playoffs last year of "what if you activate a guy who has hardly seen the field this past season and target him heavily in a playoff game?" and the answer was "nothing good"

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

If you watch Allen’s highlights from college he’s on the receiving end of most of them. 

Yep. Seen them all many times both before and after we drafted Allen. Him leaving Wyoming was probably the biggest reason for Josh’s decline from 2016 to 2017. 

5 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

McDermott/Beane playing 4D chess... Unlimited call ups for the post season from the practice squad. A nice way to stash players and call them up when/if you need them based on gameplans.

I see they've been watching The Queen's Gambit.

5 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

He takes Brown’s roster spot next year.  Cheaper speed.  

People keep saying this but brown has turned into a great route runner...he is a better receiver than stills.  By far.  Restructure brown over stills especially since brown is a phenomenal locker room guy and stills is questionable.  

People keep saying this but brown has turned into a great route runner...he is a better receiver than stills.  By far.  Restructure brown over stills especially since brown is a phenomenal locker room guy and stills is questionable.  

5 hours ago, Doc said:

Sucks for Nelson and Jennings.  I wonder if they would have still signed if they knew they would be released a couple days later?

They might have known what the deal was from the start. They probably got some money for their trouble too.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, if that was true, "Go Go Gadget McKenzie" emphatically stated his case to turn up the volume yesterday.

With all respect, I think that would be dumb.  If you are just missing one guy, do the minimum of shifting about that you can.  McKenzie was asked the question "what would you do with a bigger role?" yesterday and his answer was "6 receptions on 9 targets, 65 yds, 2 TD, 116 return yards plus a return TD.  Next question?"

I don't think Stills sees the field unless we are missing 2 of the starters (eg Brown + Bease) or if Brown gets hurt again as he may have that "uncoachable" thing, speed the rest of them don't have.

I dunno, my personal perception is that the Bills are likely to try to isolate a couple of WR in a "break glass if emergency" sense.  They tried an experiment in the playoffs last year of "what if you activate a guy who has hardly seen the field this past season and target him heavily in a playoff game?" and the answer was "nothing good"

I agree that he stated his case to be used in more volume, I wouldn’t hate if he was. 

I understand your point, no offense taken. With that being said, they’re all capable of playing each WR position so to speak, I don’t think it would be a crazy stretch, but I may be getting ahead of myself with Stills and I’ll give you that. I love McKenzie but I view him as a gadget guy personally, even when we were hurting for WR he wasn’t a heavily involved piece of the offense, that may be manipulating my feelings. 

I also forgot to include Gabe. I guess what I was trying to say was that Stills would slot into the top 4 WR allowing McKenzie to play in his gadget role as the 5th guy. 

I don’t think this situation and Duke last year are comparable, but I get your point. Ultimately I think having Stills active is just something else for the defense to think about, maybe just signing him does that in itself during the week, but if we don’t use our TE often, I’d rather activate Stills than Kroft (in the event Gilliam is still out, then I think Gilliam is active for ST purposes and everything is a moot point). 

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

What’s your point? 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

You keep saying this but...

• Haha (+1) 1

If he's willing to sit on the practice squad (a la Fromm) and fill in if needed due to injury or covid outbreak that's great. Probably not a lot of downside for him, worst case he collects a check or four, best case he gets in and helps us get a ring. For me the only other possibility is if Davis has hit the rookie wall and they are concerned about him playing at a high level in the playoffs.

Either way it's nice to have the option.

13 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

I agree that he stated his case to be used in more volume, I wouldn’t hate if he was. 

I understand your point, no offense taken. With that being said, they’re all capable of playing each WR position so to speak, I don’t think it would be a crazy stretch, but I may be getting ahead of myself with Stills and I’ll give you that. I love McKenzie but I view him as a gadget guy personally, even when we were hurting for WR he wasn’t a heavily involved piece of the offense, that may be manipulating my feelings. 

I also forgot to include Gabe. I guess what I was trying to say was that Stills would slot into the top 4 WR allowing McKenzie to play in his gadget role as the 5th guy. 

I don’t think this situation and Duke last year are comparable, but I get your point. Ultimately I think having Stills active is just something else for the defense to think about, maybe just signing him does that in itself during the week, but if we don’t use our TE often, I’d rather activate Stills than Kroft (in the event Gilliam is still out, then I think Gilliam is active for ST purposes and everything is a moot point). 

I understand your point about McKenzie not being heavily involved/just being a gadget guy back in 2018 when we brought him in, even though we were hurting at WR.  I like Isaiah McKenzie so I watch for him on film.  The piece that needs to be remembered is that he was pretty much a rookie as a WR when we signed him in 2018 - very few targets, maybe 10? 12? with Denver in 2017.  He was used by Den as a PR/KR until he fumbled his way out of the job (6 fumbles with Den, 2 with us)

What I saw is that by the end of last season and especially this season, he's taken a big step towards becoming a more complete WR.  Last year when it had become a "tell" oh McKenzie's in there, it's gonna be a jet sweep or reverse, he started slowly running some additional routes from the slot, slants and crossers.  This year, like all our WR he's had just a quantum leap in the details of his play at WR - he releases better, he'll drag his toes on the sidelines, he'll run options (he said that was an option route Beasley taught him for the 1st TD), he'll block hard.  (I actually thought he might have earned the nickname 'lil Dirty for some of the blocks he's laid this season, for a little guy he does bring it).

So I agree with you that he joined the team as a gadget guy, but I'm not sure that's still how they see him, and I kind of view yesterday as they gave him a chance and he took it.  I don't think he's about to displace Beasley any time soon, but I think he made a solid case to see playing time in the slot ahead of a guy who just joined the team.

I think we see Stills only if Brown reinjures and can't go and we feel the need, the need for speed.  I think Daboll's playbook takes some time to master.  But it's gonna be a long month, we may see him yet!

PS from that article:

With three touchdowns to his name, McKenzie had plenty to chirp about, but he came back to the sideline speechless.

“He was kind of humbled, out of breath,” Dion Dawkins said. “Out of breath and was extremely focused. He was running. I know on that punt return, we didn’t hear nothing from him, because he put it all on the football field.”

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Gabriel Davis is not better than Kenny Stills right now.

Agreed, at least as far as "what have you shown?"  Stills collected 19 targets for 11 receptions and 144 yds in 10 games for the Texans this season, with DeSean Watson at QB.

Gabe Davis has 35 receptions on 62 targets for 599 yds and 7 TDs in addition to blocking his ass off in both the pass and the running game.  He's a rookie, obviously, and a work in progress, but in my book barring injuries (avert!), Stills would have to earn the right to see the field ahead of Davis.

26 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

If he's willing to sit on the practice squad (a la Fromm) and fill in if needed due to injury or covid outbreak that's great. Probably not a lot of downside for him, worst case he collects a check or four, best case he gets in and helps us get a ring. For me the only other possibility is if Davis has hit the rookie wall and they are concerned about him playing at a high level in the playoffs.

Either way it's nice to have the option.

Agreed, worst case extra $$, best case contributes and helps us to a championship.

I don't think they're worried about a "rookie wall" for Davis.  He pulled in a sweet throw from Barkley there and refused to go down.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What I saw is that by the end of last season and especially this season, he's taken a big step towards becoming a more complete WR.  Last year when it had become a "tell" oh McKenzie's in there, it's gonna be a jet sweep or reverse, he started slowly running some additional routes from the slot, slants and crossers.  This year, like all our WR he's had just a quantum leap in the details of his play at WR - he releases better, he'll drag his toes on the sidelines, he'll run options (he said that was an option route Beasley taught him for the 1st TD), he'll block hard.  (I actually thought he might have earned the nickname 'lil Dirty for some of the blocks he's laid this season, for a little guy he does bring it).

Right, this is awesome and I did see this. 

I believe in player development probably more than anyone on this board... so I’m not saying he isn’t and can’t be a contributor as a high volume WR, I just think we actually lose an element of our offense with him thrust into a larger role right now. 

There’s no doubt he’s developed, he seems to catch almost everything... and has made some impressive grabs over the middle in his limited time over the past 3 years and you’re right he can probably provide more than Stills... I just think Stills provides something else on top of Diggs, Brown, Beasley, Davis and McKenzie for the Colts (and others) to worry about. 

Whatever the decision is I support it and if I’m wrong, I’m ok with being wrong. I don’t think the difference in this game or any is going to be the role that McKenzie/Stills play, I just think both of them being active is good for us. 

It really boils down to Stills > Kroft now that I think about it more. 

5 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

If they didn't Billieve in the oft injured Sammy then I didn't either and I bought his jersey.

He hasn't done much since he left here other than being the 4th or so WR on a SB team.

Definitely not a #1 WR.

Sammy was Buffalo's number 1 when we traded him unless we had one hidden somewhere. 

Mahomes top target isn't even a WR...

Edited by Figster

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think they're worried about a "rookie wall" for Davis.  He pulled in a sweet throw from Barkley there and refused to go down.

Davis has been targeted the last few weeks but his catch % has dropped. Plus he didn't come back to the ball that was picked, even though it was a really nice play by the Miami cb. To me hasn't looked super sharp the last few weeks.

Just a guess by me as a possibility.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/60126/gabriel-davis/game-log

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I understand your point about McKenzie not being heavily involved/just being a gadget guy back in 2018 when we brought him in, even though we were hurting at WR.  I like Isaiah McKenzie so I watch for him on film.  The piece that needs to be remembered is that he was pretty much a rookie as a WR when we signed him in 2018 - very few targets, maybe 10? 12? with Denver in 2017.  He was used by Den as a PR/KR until he fumbled his way out of the job (6 fumbles with Den, 2 with us)

So I agree with you that he joined the team as a gadget guy, but I'm not sure that's still how they see him, and I kind of view yesterday as they gave him a chance and he took it.  I don't think he's about to displace Beasley any time soon, but I think he made a solid case to see playing time in the slot ahead of a guy who just joined the team.

I think we see Stills only if Brown reinjures and can't go and we feel the need, the need for speed.  I think Daboll's playbook takes some time to master.  But it's gonna be a long month, we may see him yet!

PS from that article:

With three touchdowns to his name, McKenzie had plenty to chirp about, but he came back to the sideline speechless.

“He was kind of humbled, out of breath,” Dion Dawkins said. “Out of breath and was extremely focused. He was running. I know on that punt return, we didn’t hear nothing from him, because he put it all on the football field.”

I saw in some of the post game clips talking about the game McKenzie going to the sideline and some of the other players fanning him you know because he was on fire.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Davis has been targeted the last few weeks but his catch % has dropped. Plus he didn't come back to the ball that was picked, even though it was a really nice play by the Miami cb. To me hasn't looked super sharp the last few weeks.

Just a guess by me as a possibility.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/60126/gabriel-davis/game-log

I don't think it is so much the "rookie wall" as it is he is just a somewhat raw rookie who hasn't developed yet.  He's a good future WR but right now we are knee deep in the present and it is no longer developmental time.  G Davis seems to not have the finer points yet, like you mention not coming back and at least breaking up the pass - and in an earlier game he didn't finesse the long ball.

i think we can roll with G Davis as the 5th option (behind Knox who I trust a little more).  But if J Brown goes down, I think they need to have Stills ready to go.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I am thinking Stills takes Robert's spot (yeah, sorry , I know) but if McKensie can handle kicks, I think he's a better receiver than Robert's. Position flexibility?? 

I know he put one on the turf in Denver but he is too consistent not to be used.  Punts and kickoffs he routinley switches field position and for the most part catches everything.  Ugly punts in Buffalo need to be fielded so we can flip field position.  Going into next season?  I would put Mckenzie in the spot all year.  Save some money open up a spot on the roster and Wr room.  Stills is wr insurance from Covid or injury.  Going into 2021 is a solid wr addition to the team that also doesnt play into comp pick calculation.

Edited by Mat68