Josh Allen Surpasses Russell Wilson in MVP Odds

Logic

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/12/09/josh-allen-passes-russell-wilson-in-mvp-odds/

Let Russ sink.

The odds-on MVP favorite for much of the season, Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson continues to slide in the betting odds for the league’s top individual award.

Via PointsBet.com, Wilson has dropped from +700 last week to +2000 this week, putting him fourth on the list behind Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes (-500, from -400 last week), Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers (+460, from +600 last week), and Bills quarterback Josh Allen (+1500, from +3300 last week).

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Jobot said:

We need a 3-way tie atop the AFC to give the Bills the #1 seed. (I think this is possible based on 3-way tiebreakers)

If that happens, Allen gets the MVP.

Not counting on it but it is distinctly possible if we win out. 

• Like (+1) 1

Josh isn't going to win the MVP even if he balls out the last few weeks of the season and Mahomes and Rodgers stumble.  The NFL hasn't decided to market Allen yet like they have Mahomes and Rodgers.  You saw Manning and Brady become the face of the NFL for years.  That wasn't an accident.  Sure they were winning, but more that that, the marketing arm of the NFL decided to promote those two QBs across every market in the country.

The NFL has also done that with Pat Mahomes, Russell WIlson, and Aaron Rodgers at different times over the last decade.  That kind of national marketing by the NFL is what puts someone over the top for this sort of stuff.  It will be interesting to see if Allen joins those ranks next year.  He seems to have a lot of things going for him.  Choir boy looks and attitude.  Nice background / upbringing story.  He's starting to win a lot of games.  He has a couple "wow plays" almost every week.  There is also the feel good "long suffering Buffalo Bills franchise on the rise" story.  There's a lot to work with there if you are a NFL marketing team.

Josh Allen may be about to take that next step and become one of the faces of the NFL next season.  That's worth at least five points of MVP voting.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I’ve no issues with those odds. No one is catching Mahomes barring injury.

If we win out and Josh throws for 375 and 4 tds every game down the stretch I’m pretty sure he’d win.  Each game likely to be on prime time TV (as long as Miami is flexed).  Anything can happen

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Jobot said:

We need a 3-way tie atop the AFC to give the Bills the #1 seed. (I think this is possible based on 3-way tiebreakers)

If that happens, Allen gets the MVP.

If we run the table ending up 13-3, with Allen continuing to lead the charge, I think he gets the MVP. From top to bottom KC arguably has the best talent of any team in the league. At that point I think that you seriously have to consider where either team may be without their candidate. Without Allen? The Bills are easily the Jets/Jags this year imo. Without Mahomes? KC is still likely a .500 team. This doesn't mean I don't believe Mahomes is great, because he is without question. I just think Josh Allen IS the Buffalo Bills and this team would be going absolutely nowhere without him. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1

To be clear: I do not believe Josh Allen will win MVP. Mahomes and Rodgers would have to drop off the face of the earth for that to happen.

Still...when your starting QB moves to third place in MVP odds this late in the season, it's certainly noteworthy, hence this post.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

To be clear: I do not believe Josh Allen will win MVP. Mahomes and Rodgers would have to drop off the face of the earth for that to happen.

Still...when your starting QB moves to third place in MVP odds this late in the season, it's certainly noteworthy, hence this post.

i agree with this. BUT... if he just so happens to torch another top 5 d while beating an 11-1 team, i think maybe you'd here verrrryyyy faint whispers. especially in primetime and if it came with one of his classic rushing performances on top of a solid passing day.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i agree with this. BUT... if he just so happens to torch another top 5 d while beating an 11-1 team, i think maybe you'd here verrrryyyy faint whispers. especially in primetime and if it came with one of his classic rushing performances on top of a solid passing day.

I certainly won't say Allen as MVP is impossible, however unlikely it may be.

In my opinion, it would require three things:

1.) Allen continues to play great games like the one he played on Monday night

2.) The Bills win out 

3.) Mahomes and/or Rodgers have a stinker or two along the way

If those three things were to happen, I could see it.

The biggest problem is that MVP tends to go to the QB of the winningest team. I could see the Bills ending up with more wins than the Packers. It's hard for me to see them ending up with more wins than the Chiefs, though, and thus, Mahomes has to be considered the heavy favorite.

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

I certainly won't say Allen as MVP is impossible, however unlikely it may be.

In my opinion, it would require three things:

1.) Allen continues to play great games like the one he played on Monday night

2.) The Bills win out 

3.) Mahomes and/or Rodgers have a stinker or two along the way

If those three things were to happen, I could see it.

The biggest problem is that MVP tends to go to the QB of the winningest team. I could see the Bills ending up with more wins than the Packers. It's hard for me to see them ending up with more wins than the Chiefs, though, and thus, Mahomes has to be considered the heavy favorite.

i agree with all this. and i dont even think a stinker would take mahomes out of it. it would basically take stinker and an untimely loss and Allen going completely white hot and undefeated the rest of the season. and he would have to do it with flash and pad it with some rushing stats.... thats really not his game this year, but i'm ok with that.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

The thing with Mahomes is he never has a bad game. His consistency is unreal. Every other QB in the race has laid an egg this year. His only "bad game" against the Raiders was still a good performance for most QBs.

At the same time Mahomes has the better offensive supporting cast and the best offensive coach in the league.

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The thing with Mahomes is he never has a bad game. His consistency is unreal. Every other QB in the race has laid an egg this year. His only "bad game" against the Raiders was still a good performance for most QBs.

At the same time Mahomes has the better offensive supporting cast and the best offensive coach in the league.

He IS set up for success - not much longer, as in now, JA is set up for same said success......all he needs now is a State Farm commercial and what @Inigo Montoya alludes too about the NFL propping him up as the face....

Mahomes is the best player in the league. But the MVP is a different concept. Sam Darnold would likely be very good on the Chiefs with that offense, Andy Reid, Tyreek, Kelce, running game, etc. 

It’s easily arguable that Josh is as valuable to the 9-3 Bills as Mahomes is to the 11-1 Chiefs. 

At this point betting on the MVP is basically betting on/against Mahomes getting hurt in the next couple games. 

Best stats in the league, on the best team in the league. 

Not saying it's right, because he has an absolutely loaded team around him. But it is what it is.

Yep. Very hard to win the MVP when you probably won't even win your division. 

As I said in another thread, regardless of what Rodgers and Mahomes do, the MVP really can be Allen's to lose. The key is all the primetime games down the home stretch. Win out, and put up like 10:1 TD to INT ratio in the three prime time games (he's already 4:0) he'll have a really good shot. I could also see both Rodgers and Mahomes splitting half the vote allowing Allen to get the other half. 

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

He's also doesn't have a compelling storyline, or any storyline really, which right or wrong is part of the MVP equation. 

Rodgers has the " they disrespected me with the Love pick and didn't draft me any help" line.

Allen has the "biggest single season jump from year 2 to year 3" story line. And one of the most panned QB's ever to come out of the draft in the top 10.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

If we win out and Josh throws for 375 and 4 tds every game down the stretch I’m pretty sure he’d win.  Each game likely to be on prime time TV (as long as Miami is flexed).  Anything can happen

That actually can't happen. There is no TNF, SNF or MNF for week 17. Literally every team plays at either 1pm or 430pm. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

That actually can't happen. There is no TNF, SNF or MNF for week 17. Literally every team plays at either 1pm or 430pm. 

Thanks.  I knew there was no mnf, but thought there may be Sunday night.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

You’re right. But there are also “national games” where most of the country shows a particular game, and Bills Dolphins could easily be the 1 pm or even moved to 4 pm and that national exposure. 

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Interesting:  I thought I read this earlier.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2020/09/08/nfl-schedule-week-17-sunday-night-football-flex-rankings

Why would this article be in existence?

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2020/09/08/nfl-schedule-week-17-sunday-night-football-flex-rankings

I just looked it up. Apparently no games are scheduled originally for Sunday night on week 17. They leave it open and then flex one. There wasn’t one scheduled last year but they played one. There wasn’t one scheduled this year but there will be one. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Pause.

The quarterback of the Buffalo Bills is currently 4th in MVP odds.

He is 24 years old.

Open your favorite bottle of Budweiser light and drink it.

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

Bud Light???????????

Favorite bottle?????  As though a sommelier is going to show up with a towel draped over his arm, bottle opener in hand, and wax poetic about the vintage as he takes you through the wonderful bouquet of watered down day-old urine.

Edited by transient
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

8 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I just looked it up. Apparently no games are scheduled originally for Sunday night on week 17. They leave it open and then flex one. There wasn’t one scheduled last year but they played one. There wasn’t one scheduled this year but there will be one. 

Did not realize they left that open for that reason. 

Many thanks!

• Like (+1) 1