Week 14: Steelers at Bills on SNF

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, wjag said:

As much as I watch and talk about this team, these stats blow me away.  If that is so true, why do I sweat through every game day shirt?

Id like to give this a thumbs up and lol face. I hear ya man. But those stats do make me feel a bit more comfortable!

1 minute ago, wjag said:

As much as I watch and talk about this team, these stats blow me away.  If that is so true, why do I sweat through every game day shirt?

because of history, but you know this. BBFS is a real thing brotha.

Weirdly enough, after the Chiefs game I got over my BBFS. Now during games im mostly confident and calm (I mean, this is a relative term, I still have highs and lows and swear and jump around). I just have a faith in knowing we got this. During the Cardinals game, a good friend texted me right before our should have been game winning drive "you must be going nuts right now" and I wasnt, I just knew Josh was gonna go win us that game. 

We are really good. Just start believing it and you will enjoy the ride even more. 

• Like (+1) 3

36 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

Yes. Had he done his job at linebacker, we never would have surrendered our lead.

I forgot how poorly he played at linebacker that game!

That’s probably the reason why McDermott didn’t have enough confidence to put him back out there in the Cardinals game to defend the Hail Mary... 

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, TPS said:

Who has the best chance to beat the Chiefs in the NFL?

There have been many moments over the last 3 seasons that have made me feel like a complete idiot for yelling Josh Rosen's name at the TV when we were on the clock. This one hits the hardest. Greenberg going out of his way to say our boys have the best shot of knocking off the champs? How did we get here? This is surreal. 

• Like (+1) 6

In a matchup as close as this, between two opponents who are both really good, you look at the factors that could swing it.

It seems to me that the Bills are healthier, more well-rested, are playing with more confidence than the Steelers, and are playing at home. Granted, without fans in the stands, the home field advantage isn't quite the same, but I DO believe it provides at least a small advantage.

If the Bills can play a clean game and avoid giving the Steelers short fields to work with, they win. If they have one of those "slap your forehead, 2-3 turnovers", type games, like they had against the Chargers, they lose.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

There have been many moments over the last 3 seasons that have made me feel like a complete idiot for yelling Josh Rosen's name at the TV when we were on the clock. This one hits the hardest. Greenberg going out of his way to say our boys have the best shot of knocking off the champs? How did we get here? This is surreal. 

We got here because thankfully fans don't conduct the draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, The Wiz said:

So Haden has 3 1/2 days to clear concussion protocol and still no word on what the COVID status of Pouncey is.  Connors was just activated and Pouncey joined COVID IR 4 days after him.  Might be activated late on Sunday is my guess.

So that means Haden is not in the last step of the protocol then because at that stage they are allowed to practice fully(maybe red contact jersey), but still not cleared.  So if he doesn't practice again today, I think it makes it unlikely he will be able to play Sunday because they are running out of time to get him into the final stage.

22 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Daboll:

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493be8svwb17ibijh4h25j

Haha...this could be another game where we come out and try and run it down their throats like we did in New England and San Diego. Daboll is all about matchups and that is going to be tough for the Steelers unless their DLine can get enough penetration to prevent them from exploiting it. They also might look to come out in base personnel to isolate Knox on a LB in certain coverages where he can take advantage of it...maybe have him start inline and then flex out into the slot standing up and see if an LB follows him out there.

5 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

It might have already been posted somewhere but from a video from ESPN that was on YouTube: Pittsburgh figures they can pressure Josh Allen and disrupt Cole Beasley enough to hurt our offense

our pass protection is very good and Beasley is hard to cover

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Haden and Spillane are OUT.  Woooooo!!!

per my fantasy football app

Spillane was expected but the Haden news is big. 

Now we just need to see what happens with pouncey. 

Nevermind. Just saw they activated him off the covid list. 

Edited by The Wiz

7 minutes ago, nucci said:

our pass protection is very good and Beasley is hard to cover

It's getting better, it can still be susceptible. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can't believe Yolo didn't already post this, but I didn't see it:

So Jaquan Johnson out, everybody else good to go including Feliciano and Andre Roberts.

Great news! 

On 12/10/2020 at 10:12 AM, Stank_Nasty said:

Pure gold. I saw this yesterday morning. It’s great. Kiper on FULL send....actually probably not even full send because it looks like he’s about to blow a gasket if it weren’t for being on TV. 

I remember a clip with him and 3 others, including Todd Mcshay, on NFL live in the spring before the 2019 season. The cast was asked who could be the most successful out of that 2018 class after their rookie years and Kiper fought for Allen. They all literally laughed right at him on television. He can be sort of a douche but he has pounded the table for Allen since day one. 

When the NFL Draft was still in New York City and still at Madison Square Garden, a lot of us got to see the ESPN crew and talk to them off camera.

Mel Kiper was a really cool guy. He would answer a lot of questions from the fans about specific players. Whenever people gave him heat, he would just laugh it off or go along with it. I know people have a certain perception of Kiper, because of what they see of him on camera, but off camera, he was great.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

In a matchup as close as this, between two opponents who are both really good, you look at the factors that could swing it.

It seems to me that the Bills are healthier, more well-rested, are playing with more confidence than the Steelers, and are playing at home. Granted, without fans in the stands, the home field advantage isn't quite the same, but I DO believe it provides at least a small advantage.

If the Bills can play a clean game and avoid giving the Steelers short fields to work with, they win. If they have one of those "slap your forehead, 2-3 turnovers", type games, like they had against the Chargers, they lose.

I think that's a very reasonable take.  If nothing else, overall "win probability" says that when a team gives up 3 turnovers, they tend to lose.

12 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Not that concerned w pouncey getting no practice in 10 days, out there blocking and making calls, touching the ball every snap. Might actually be in our favor. 

With Pouncey and Connor back it definitely should help their run game.  That's my only concern with it.  Also Washington was able to get a lot of push up the middle with him out which led to a few batted balls and more pressure.

25 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

How would we feel if the Bills were without Hughes, Edmunds, Milano, Klein, and White?

This is pretty much the equivalent defensive loss the Steelers are dealing with.

The Bills should carve them up.

Yeah, but they have had some of those injuries already and have still been playing at a pretty high level on defense. I guess their defensive depth is better than ours.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

So that means Haden is not in the last step of the protocol then because at that stage they are allowed to practice fully(maybe red contact jersey), but still not cleared.  So if he doesn't practice again today, I think it makes it unlikely he will be able to play Sunday because they are running out of time to get him into the final stage.

Haha...this could be another game where we come out and try and run it down their throats like we did in New England and San Diego. Daboll is all about matchups and that is going to be tough for the Steelers unless their DLine can get enough penetration to prevent them from exploiting it. They also might look to come out in base personnel to isolate Knox on a LB in certain coverages where he can take advantage of it...maybe have him start inline and then flex out into the slot standing up and see if an LB follows him out there.

Yeah everybody in the media getting excited for a sequel to last weeks air show meanwhile Daboll is gearing up for a monster truck rally on the ground.

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah everybody in the media getting excited for a sequel to last weeks air show meanwhile Daboll is gearing up for a monster truck rally on the ground.

And I'm sure Allen will get knocked for that since the gameplan isn't going to be an air show. 

Truthfully, after last week, even a good-great showing by Allen is probably going to look pedestrian. Funny feeling to have. 

• Like (+1) 2

First off, Tre'Davious White is the most clutch CB in football. Between his third down success and his leading the league in 2nd half interceptions since 2017, he's just a playmaker when the defense needs it most.

But secondly...look at Joe Haden! The Steelers won't have one of the league's best 3rd down CBs this week -- going against an offense that leads the league in 3rd down conversion percentage. Combined with their health woes at linebacker, that's huge!

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Wow, so they are playing minus 3 starting LBs, (Bush, Williams, Dupree) another ILB who was calling their D (Spillane) and a starting CB in Haden.  That will be hard to overcome and whoever now plays ILB will never have made their D calls (Williamson from the Jets or the converted safety, Marcus Allen).  Tough row to hoe!

Haven't read all the prior comments but has anyone asked how much Matekevich might help scout team run Steeler's D in practice as he did sub as starter when they had Shazier tragedy.  Wonder if he can help Daboll scheme versus the 3-4 front?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

First off, Tre'Davious White is the most clutch CB in football. Between his third down success and his leading the league in 2nd half interceptions since 2017, he's just a playmaker when the defense needs it most.

But secondly...look at Joe Haden! The Steelers won't have one of the league's best 3rd down CBs this week -- going against an offense that leads the league in 3rd down conversion percentage. Combined with their health woes at linebacker, that's huge!

That Joe Haden stats has to be misleading. He was a bit washed up a few years ago. I wonder if having Minkah out there has improved Haden's play, or covered his mistakes. 

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The encouraging thing about last week was we saw a number of plays like that from Josh against the 49ers 

This is cut out of Chris Simms unbuttoned so the quality is poor, but just look at the number of completed passes behind or at the LOS - I count 8 - or within ~5 yds - 12 of 15 or something like that.  Those are those quick fast dink-n-dunks.  Allen was taking those.  That's huge.  That's a huge step.

image.thumb.png.6762919988e93fbab0752d0a14dc6170.png

Some people can never bury their dead horse

You can get all those passing charts here: Charts | NFL Next Gen Stats

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

That Joe Haden stats has to be misleading. He was a bit washed up a few years ago. I wonder if having Minkah out there has improved Haden's play, or covered his mistakes. 

Not necessarily...players who were used to relying on speed and athletic ability sometimes take a little while before realizing that isn't going to work anymore and becoming good at using intelligence, experience and guile more.

Some never make the transition and some do very susccessfully.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Not necessarily...players who were used to relying on speed and athletic ability sometimes take a little while before realizing that isn't going to work anymore and becoming good at using intelligence, experience and guile more.

Some never make the transition and some do very susccessfully.

good point. I haven’t watched Haden close enough to really evaluate his play.