Week 14: Steelers at Bills on SNF

YoloinOhio

20 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Looking like wind won't be much of an issue tomorrow night. 8-10pmh at kick-off and dropping as the game goes on. That's good news. Chance of precipitation is only about 20%.

That’s good. Didn’t want the weather to spoil this bobby dazzler of a game 👍 

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Allen is the best QB in the league against top-16 defenses according to EPA (expected points added per play).

But the Rams werent good yet....  the 49ers were over rated....  blah blah blah

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Yeah, the Jets figured out our tendencies enough to hold us to 422 yards of offense, including 307 passing yards by Allen, and nearly 35 minutes of possession time. True, we didn’t find the end zone and I give the Jets credit for that, but we shot ourselves in the foot time after time with 11 penalties for over 100 yards as well. 

Yeah, I don't think the Jets can exactly claim credit for all those penalties.

Love the 5-man OL configuration they used in the 49ers game

LT Dion Dawkins

LG Ike Boettger

C Mitch Morse

RG Jon Feliciano

RT Daryl Williams

Big massive long wide-body Guards and Tackles. This is the best possible Pass Blocking unit the Bills have. Beautiful pockets created by these guys. Everybody is a better Pass blocker than Run blocker. I was very impressed with the UDFA 6'6" LG Boettger rewatching the tape; he's a keeper. They finally got liability RG Brian Winters out of the lineup. If they stick with this OL the rest of the way, Allen will dominate.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

LT Dion Dawkins

LG Ike Boettger

C Mitch Morse

RG Jon Feliciano

RT Daryl Williams

Big massive long wide-body Guards and Tackles. This is the best possible Pass Blocking unit the Bills have. Beautiful pockets created by these guys. Everybody is a better Pass blocker than Run blocker. I was very impressed with the UDFA 6'6" LG Boettger rewatching the tape; he's a keeper. They finally got liability RG Brian Winters out of the lineup. If they stick with this OL the rest of the way, Allen will dominate.

Yup. Stay healthy and keep this unit together! Let Allen sling it all over the yard.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Part of why Bosa blew us up, from what I saw, was that Josh had guys open in the short, quick pass game and didn't take them.

One of the thing I liked best about the 49ers game was that Josh did take some of them. 

And it was the difference in the game at times , to move the chains and keep driving.

But there were still more to be taken.  One of the things that jumped out at me on film is how often, when Josh extended the play and launched a hair-raising tight window laser, there was an open receiver with a much easier throw available much earlier, sometimes on the same side of the field.  Example, there was a secondary route laser to Beasley down the R sideline where Diggs had been standing wide open about 5 yds downfield for, like EVER.  "Josh!  Gathering cobwebs here!  Hey kid!  Show a bro some love!"  When Josh rolled out right, Diggs even repositioned and crouched a bit, he was expecting the throw.

If Josh adjusts his mindset and takes more of those short quick passes that are being schemed into Daboll's plays (and are there for the taking), the ball will be gone before Watt arrives and we will be carving the Steelers up...dare I say...like roast duck?

Anyway, several have commented here that those short quick throws and screens are effectively an extension of the run game, and for us probably a more successful extension.  IF Josh will take them.  The Gunslinger is neither dead, nor is he sleeping.

Except I think the same was true of SF last week...weren't most of Cole's receptions outside the hashes?  He even made a quick double toe-drag move I hadn't seen him flash before.

This post made me go back and read the "in your head" post.  I thought along similar lines after the LAC game (at leaast I believe that was the one), that he can be his own worst enemy.  Interestingly, I caught part of the Pitt-Ravens game where Big Ben was dinking and dunking most of the time, wondering if Allen could ever get to that point?

I thought the 49er game showed some of that, "some."  He is still so young and raw, which means he's got so much more room to grow.  While he will never lose that gunslinger mentality, it looks like he is learning to be more patient and taking what's given sometimes.  Sunday night will be a very good test, and I hope he passes...   

Lastly, I've made this point a few times in posts where people lament not taking Mahomes: given he has so much more room to grow, if Allen CAN harness himself (and I believe he can), I believe one day soon the Mahomes Lament will go the way of the Dodo... 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

LT Dion Dawkins

LG Ike Boettger

C Mitch Morse

RG Jon Feliciano

RT Daryl Williams

I've been asking for this all season!! Check the tape

Mike Tomlin on this weekly "speak out" thing he does for about 7 straight minutes.

After some blunt talk about their performance vs WFT ("if you can't get a yard, you don't deserve to win"), he launches into his impression of Buffalo.

He has lots of good stuff to say about Josh Allen as a passer, extending plays and scrambling, and designed runs.  Speaks well of Diggs and "Beasley inside".  No mention of Davis, McKenzie, or Knox so maybe they're a bit "under the radar" to him.  Says it all starts with stopping the quarterback - I doubt anyone in the league would disagree, but it's getting to the point where stopping Allen is a little bit like the mice voting to put a bell on the cat - then asking "Who will Bell the Cat?"

Says our defense is balanced.  Mentions Addison and Q Jefferson as good additions.  Mentions Edmunds.  Mentions Tre White and his 2 picks against them last year, Josh Norman and Levi Wallace and "good depth" at CB.  No mention of Dr Poyer or Mr Hyde (although Poyer also picked him) or our other LB.

I didn't listen to all the questions, so Have At It if curious there.

Big Ben 27 TD to 7 INT, 3 fumbles (0 lost).  258 ypg passing on the season, but....1 pick per game in the last 3 games.  Good completion percentage, good yardage though.

27 minutes ago, Process said:

We're really fortunate this game isn't at 1pm. Weather is going to be real nasty early tomorrow but should be good for game time. So no excuses. 

It's not an advantage for either team if the weather is bad. 🤦‍♂️ They gotta deal with that stuff too

Edited by Kenosha2Buffalo

11 minutes ago, Kenosha2Buffalo said:

It's not an advantage for either team if the weather is bad. 🤦‍♂️ They gotta deal with that stuff too

Uh it's definitely a disadvantage for the better passing game and better team. 

Bills are one of the top teams at passes over 20 yards. Steelers dink and dunk. 

Shouldn't be hard to understand?

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Edited by Process
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

do you have any notion how the first group (MFA) defines "top defense"?

Also, how does PFF define "pressured"?

I'm not sure how PFF defines "pressured", but the chart pictured was made using the 16 highest rated teams in defensive EPA per play, as provided by rbsdm.com. 

On 12/8/2020 at 6:32 AM, YoloinOhio said:

That article from Jason Wolf is just about the lamest thing I could have imagined.  Actually, it's lamer than I could imagine.

His thesis is that the Bills have been "deprived" of a chance for "euphoria" by beating the undefeated Steelers:

"But the Football Team’s unlikely triumph did more than tighten the race for the top seed in the AFC playoffs and hand the Steelers their first loss of the season.  It robbed Buffalo of its chance to do the same." and that "The Bills are still fighting for that respect. Win or lose against the Steelers, that’ll still be the case."

:rolleyes:

So somehow the Bills get less respect if they win this week, because they beat a 4-7 football team that has an excellent defense and was favored, while a 4-7 football team fighting for 1st place in their division and QB'd by a wiley vet, beat the Steelers. 

If the Bills beat the Steelers and move to 10-3, I will be OVERJOYED.  I don't care if they win by 1 point.  I don't care if they win by a defensive TD or a ST TD.  I don't care if we try to put a laser light show on them or if we try to run down their throats.  Just Win.  Just Win, Baby.  Whatever Daboll's game plan lays down, just execute.  Just play solid defense, hit hard, be physical, don't give up big plays. 

If the national media can't respect us for that, ***** the national media.  I don't think the Bills are "fighting for respect" I think they're fighting for wins.

Sometimes I swear, you can't make this ***** up.

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, H2o said:

The fact that we are getting REALLY healthy at the perfect time makes me even more hype about this team. It's getting to the point where guys can get rested here and their to keep them fresh throughout the full 60. 

Yup.  Plus, we should by getting Smoke back juuuuuust in time for the playoffs.  :)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kenosha2Buffalo said:

Yes it does. It favors the lesser than because it brings the good team down to their level.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I’m not saying it’s what I would do and I’m not saying it’s going to work..but I have a feeling the Bills are going to play this game like they played the Pats game. I can just see McDermott feeling that the teeth of the Steelers D is their secondary. I feel like Singletary is going to get a lot of carries. I’d be surprised if Josh gets more then 20-25 pass attempts.

3 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Bills offense is a lot better than last year. Pitt defense is a lot worse, down Haden, Dupree, and the LBs. We saw their bliz last year and did ok...not perfect, but enough to win. I love Daboll to have this offense in good shape. 

God that game was such a comedy of errors for the offense. Had a Beasley tip go for a pick. Motor fumbled twice I think (lost one) which caused us to give Gore the most burn. I still nearly throw up thinking about Gore trying to bounce an inside run in the red zone.  I also think we had a ton of drive killing penalties and drops. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

God that game was such a comedy of errors for the offense. Had a Beasley tip go for a pick. Motor fumbled twice I think (lost one) which caused us to give Gore the most burn. I still nearly throw up thinking about Gore trying to bounce an inside run in the red zone.  I also think we had a ton of drive killing penalties and drops. 

Daboll was calling games for Allen way different last year as well. Settling for 3’s or field position battles really aren’t their thing this year. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m not saying it’s what I would do and I’m not saying it’s going to work..but I have a feeling the Bills are going to play this game like they played the Pats game. I can just see McDermott feeling that the teeth of the Steelers D is their secondary. I feel like Singletary is going to get a lot of carries. I’d be surprised if Josh gets more then 20-25 pass attempts.

Tough sledding up front with Hayward and tuitt though. 

im really interested to see the plan this week.