Week 14: Steelers at Bills on SNF

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I can feel that exasperation from Orlovsky every team we face becomes the new real test and then once we beat them they become retroactively bad.

What this isn’t showing is how pathetically Keyshawn went about explaining away every single quality win they had. He goes down the list. Beat the rams but it was early. Beat Seattle but they don’t travel well. Beat the raiders but they’re streaky. And then he didn’t even mention the 8-4 fins. 

it was so ridiculous I was honestly laughing out loud in my office as I had it on in the background 

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I can feel that exasperation from Orlovsky every team we face becomes the new real test and then once we beat them they become retroactively bad.

I for one am shocked that a former Jets draft bust is hating on the Bills along with a former Cowboys player who looks like he should be playing the uncle on a sitcom who exists exclusively for a couple stupid punchlines per episode. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I feel like this is the type of game/defense that they are going to plan on dialing up small ball.  Get the short completions and run the ball (similar to the NE game).  I don't doubt they are planning on Allen being a threat with his arm but maybe this is the type of game to use his legs more.

And like 10 variations off the McKittrick jet sweep

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsherd said:

Bills will look run the ball more against the Steeles. Allen will not have that much time in pocket to throw as he did against the 49ers. We will see more rb/wr screens. 

Disagree, I think Daboll sees spreading them out, chipping Watt and throwing the ball as the best chance to win - especially if Haden is out.  Steelers can't score with us. 

A few things I can't get over in this one:

-Watching the last two games, how average and slow the Pitt team looks. They dont look as physical either, and just look sloppy. I dont usually watch 2 full games if an opponent so close to our game, though i missed the tail end of the loss w our start.

- How old Big Ben looks in said last 2 games.

-That schedule of the Steelers, how close the games have been, and that list of QBs they've faced. 

-I can't get over either that a Steelers team cant run the ball. I dont think they will tolerate this either.

That being said, I cant get over my fear of the Steelers. I never hated them, but they are not to be trifled with. I don't like Big Ben, but I respect him. He's walked the walk.

The Steelers are experienced and well coached, but they are also arrogant. I expect them to try to assert the Steeler way come Sunday night, and that means winning wont be enough; they will want to win by running and playing defense, blitzburg, smashing our faces. They will want to find the identity that has made them great, and they have been in this spot before. If this does not work, the defense usually keeps them close enough that they can change course and start slinging it. Bad weather could keep the offense down too.

Statistically, no one set or scheme works versus Josh, so my guess they will do what they are most familiar and comfortable with, which is blitz and mask coverages. Again, to assert the Steeler way.

I don't know how this one is going to go. From what I've seen we are better, more physical, and faster. I think we have more dogs than them, and I think the above gameplan would be a mistake, so I'm hoping I'm right.

I'm just hoping the Bills stay grounded. The kool aid is flowing like niagra falls, and the bandwagons are in town. 

Edited by RichRiderBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

If the Bills win:  "they just played their 3rd game in 11 days and were missing a bunch of players.  Not a signature win." - Keyshawn

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I feel like this is the type of game/defense that they are going to plan on dialing up small ball.  Get the short completions and run the ball (similar to the NE game).  I don't doubt they are planning on Allen being a threat with his arm but maybe this is the type of game to use his legs more.

Or they may go hurry up. Don't let the defense have a chance to set up disguises. Just go at them with a mixture of passing concepts and force them on their heels. This is the perfect team to do this with because they like to disguise coverages. By going hurry up, you flip the script.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

If the Bills win:  "they just played their 3rd game in 11 days and were missing a bunch of players.  Not a signature win." - Keyshawn

He was trying way too hard. It’s ok to say that this game is huge for the bills and would be their first win over a real afc contender (unless you count Miami and the raiders ) but it is disingenuous to discount their other wins to try to make a point.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was trying way too hard. It’s ok to say that this game is huge for the bills and would be their first win over a real afc contender (unless you count miami) but it is disingenuous to discount their other wins to try to make a point.

This is it right here. I’ve said this 10 times already in the last 2 days since Johnson started this crusade on his morning radio show. Find me a team with 5 wins better than Rams, Seahawks, Fins, Raiders, and Pats. 

This would be a HUGE win. But to act like the Bills havnt already proven they can beat good teams consistently is laughable. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was trying way too hard. It’s ok to say that this game is huge for the bills and would be their first win over a real afc contender (unless you count Miami and the raiders ) but it is disingenuous to discount their other wins to try to make a point.

I agree.

Dan O. nailed it though, 7 of 9 wins against teams with winning records.  I'd like to know how many other teams have done that.  I'd bet they are the 1 seed in NFC/AFC.  Also looking back at earlier in the season, Pitt has the 2nd easiest Strength of schedule to only Raven.s

Edited by The Wiz

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I agree.

Dan O. nailed it though, 7 of 9 wins against teams with winning records.  I'd like to know how many other teams have done that.  I'd bet they are the 1 seed in NFC/AFC.

Well he was slightly off there. It’s 5 of our 9 wins are against teams at .500 or better. But find me a team with 5 wins of better quality. 

Also we don’t have a “bad” loss on our record. 

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

Well he was slightly off there. It’s 5 of our 9 wins are against teams at .500 or better. But find me a team with 5 wins of better quality. 

I'm curious if the other 2 wins came when the team had a winning record at the time we played them.

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I'm curious if the other 2 wins came when the team had a winning record at the time we played them.

Nah. It was the jets twice, and then the chargers and niners.... and for all the knob slobbing the niners got all of last week I would argue we could consider that a quality win as well. 

it’s funny to me all the love that team got and the minute the bills went in there and molly whopped them the niners are no longer any good. 

“The bills don’t stand a chance against Shanahan and Salah! There’s no way they can hold up against that LEGENDARY run scheme and mostert! How will they ever tackle Deebo!” .... bills win. Moments later.... “Welp the niners suck”

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

The only bad loss I would say is against Titans.  Every aspect of the Bills were bad that day though so it's not like it was on one side of the ball.

29 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

Or they may go hurry up. Don't let the defense have a chance to set up disguises. Just go at them with a mixture of passing concepts and force them on their heels. This is the perfect team to do this with because they like to disguise coverages. By going hurry up, you flip the script.

At least no huddle - this also keeps defensive players on the field and helps wear them out more - given the whole 3 games in 11 days narrative

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Nah. It was the jets twice, and then the chargers and niners.... and for all the knob slobbing the niners got all of last week I would argue we could consider that a quality win as well. 

it’s funny to me all the love that team got and the minute the bills went in there and molly whopped them the niners are no longer any good. 

“The bills don’t stand a chance against Shanahan and Salah! There’s no way they can hold up against that LEGENDARY run scheme and mostert! How will they ever tackle Deebo!” .... bills win. Moments later.... “Welp the niners suck”

Considering the Bills were an underdog, I agree 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Disagree, I think Daboll sees spreading them out, chipping Watt and throwing the ball as the best chance to win - especially if Haden is out.  Steelers can't score with us. 

I think this is a good point. If you see how the Patriots and Brady beat the Steelers pretty much every year for the last 20 years, it was through super quick passes. The rush never would get to him.

17 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Sounds familiar, Joshua. Kudos to you for “adopting” it as Kyle Williams asked at the end of his speech. 

Josh is wise beyond his years and takes the best pieces of the people he’s been surrounded with to make himself better. 

Damm.  Josh was in a zone, standing up front and listening to Kyle and understanding the depth of every word.  Most importantly, taking it and putting it into action.  

I’m betting he learned how to learn on that farm as a kid.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Every weekend, I say a little prayer asking for my beloved Bills to molly whop whomever they are playing. Looking back over the past six weeks, we are clearly becoming the molly whoppers of the NFL. :) 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Watt is going to make his plays, just like Bosa did.  As long as they aren't turnovers, we should be alright.  

A sack is just a TFL, and this offense has no trouble producing chunk plays.

You are right, Bills do win giving up pressure. Obviously the 7 sacks vs Seattle, but I still dont like it. Pitt has thrived with turnovers, and Josh is not above putting it on the ground or throwing a pick when pressured. I dont like the sustained ability to overcome it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Bills play much better at home than away.

If away I would take the steelers.

Since at home I like the Bills 31-28

9-3 overall with a 5-1 record at home and 4-2 on the road. They have been good no matter where they play. Besides there is no real difference between home/road games this year.

Edited by Greg S

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sal said the forecast is going to pretty windy. 

Dandy. I used to love our weather games and thought it actually amounted to something when we’d play warm weather teams like the Dolphins. To be clear, I think the cold outdoors actually does have some degree of impact on those teams. Cold is 100% fine by me. But, with the way this team relies so heavily on the pass game, the wind, rain, and snow serve as nothing more than an equalizer. 

Edited by TheProcess

Just now, TheProcess said:

Dandy. I used to love our weather games and thought it actually amounted to something when we’d play warm weather teams like the Dolphins. To be clear, I think the cold outdoors actually does have some degree of impact on those teams. Cold is 100% fine by me. But, with the way this team relies so heavily on the pass game, the wind, rain, and snow serve as nothing more than an equalizer. 

The weather will hurt both teams. They haven’t been able to run the ball, we are a little more balanced, and I like Josh’s arm better in the wind at this point of their careers but Ben is no stranger to throwing in it.

42 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

You are right, Bills do win giving up pressure. Obviously the 7 sacks vs Seattle, but I still dont like it. Pitt has thrived with turnovers, and Josh is not above putting it on the ground or throwing a pick when pressured. I dont like the sustained ability to overcome it.

Agreed.  Josh still has some work to do on eating sacks and living to fight another day.

26 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Sal said the forecast is going to pretty windy. 

I'm so, so, soooo sick of hearing this. 

It is what it is, but we need to figure out how to throw through the wind.  An enclosed stadium likely isn't on the horizon and I'd rather not dread playing at home for the next decade. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It is what it is, but we need to figure out how to throw through the wind.  An enclosed stadium likely isn't on the horizon and I'd rather not dread playing at home for the next decade. 

As long as it's not wet, I don't think it'll be an issue for Allen.

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The weather will hurt both teams. They haven’t been able to run the ball, we are a little more balanced, and I like Josh’s arm better in the wind at this point of their careers but Ben is no stranger to throwing in it.

Right, I hear ya. That’s what I’m saying. It’s an equalizer. Can sometimes limit/restrict what we do best which is throw the ball. We aren’t ground and pound any more 🙌. Cold is fine. But the cold combined with wind, rain, and snow can sometimes limit what we do best and it helps the opposing defense against a team like ours. But look...no excuses. It is what it is. Both teams have to play in it, and I hope the Bills go take care of business. Not like the weather is improving the further we get into winter in the cities we still have to play. 

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Weather.com has 10-20 mph winds.

He said a local meteorologist texted him to let him know wind was coming for Sunday 

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I wasn’t saying we can’t throw in the wind .... just stating what I heard 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

He said a local meteorologist texted him to let him know wind was coming for Sunday 

I wasn’t saying we can’t throw in the wind .... just stating what I heard 

Oh, no, sorry - I definitely wasn't saying you said that... more so that I'm sick of having to discuss the weather before every home game now that we're a pass-heavy offense.  

But hey... we drafted Josh to throw in bad/windy weather... If he can take that next step, he becomes 10x more dangerous.  Outside of Mahomes, they're aren't too many young QB's who can put up numbers in windy/cold/wet games.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I look at a few sites and they don't seem consistent.

WKBW is saying potential snow.  Real windy.

Weather.com has rain moving out in the morning.

WGR has morning showers with 22 mph gusts with rain moving out.

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I look at a few sites and they don't seem consistent.

WKBW is saying potential snow.  Real windy.

Weather.com has rain moving out in the morning.

WGR has morning showers with 22 mph gusts with rain moving out.

WJAG says it's always windy and cold.