Week 14: Steelers at Bills on SNF

YoloinOhio

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I look at a few sites and they don't seem consistent.

WKBW is saying potential snow.  Real windy.

Weather.com has rain moving out in the morning.

WGR has morning showers with 22 mph gusts with rain moving out.

I feel like the stadium is always a wind tunnel even if it’s a slight breeze outside of it 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The weather will hurt both teams. They haven’t been able to run the ball, we are a little more balanced, and I like Josh’s arm better in the wind at this point of their careers but Ben is no stranger to throwing in it.

Tbh, I have yet to see any evidence that Josh can play well in poor weather conditions.  He looked pretty bad against KC on a cool night with a light rain. 

19 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Tbh, I have yet to see any evidence that Josh can play well in poor weather conditions.  He looked pretty bad against KC on a cool night with a light rain. 

This Pittsburgh game is the one where I think he finally shuts up this narrative.  From people like myself included. 

Strictly speaking of this year, his worst games were KC & Tenn.  (I don't even know that I'd include Tennessee as the entire team didn't show up and Roberts set the tone by handing the ball to the Titans on a perfectly thrown 1st down strike). 

Both games coming directly after injuring his non-throwing shoulder against Vegas, with a visible harness being worn.   The KC game happened to be a bad weather game.  We were also adjusting to a non-factor John Brown... we've since adjusted.

Rightly or wrongly, I think we all need to see this team play like they are capable of in a game where it's cold, windy and/or wet.  KC this year and Philly last year is really what's pushing the conversation... NE this year, to an extent. 

We drafted Josh Allen to be the guy who can put up numbers through the air in this weather.  Once he takes that step, our home field advantage becomes next level.  Until then, we're all going to stress about weather forecasts and dread certain home games.   

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep. Josh has been bad in games where the weathers been a factor.... not that the sample size is a big one but off the top of my head Eagles 2019, and Chiefs 2020 were two of his worst games. 

Look harder

https://www.si.com/college/wyoming/sights-and-sounds/cowboys-classic-josh-allens-wyoming-finale-2017-famous-idaho-potato-bowl

Was sleeting and 37

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

Is it April Fool’s? This is one big joke. It’s not even close!

This is one of the reasons I don’t even like Baker. He just gets way too much hype and doesn’t deserve it.

The national narrative must be much different than the local. Around here it’s a question as to whether they will even pick up his 5th year option. 

11 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

This is one of the reasons I don’t even like Baker. He just gets way too much hype and doesn’t deserve it.

Baker is a game manager, and that's definitely not what you are expecting when you take him #1, but right now that works for them.  

Edited by SCBills

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:
6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The national narrative must be much different than the local. Around here it’s a question as to whether they will even pick up his 5th year option. 

That’s interesting, bro. Thanks for sharing!

It’s not that he’s not good at all, it’s just that he doesn’t deserve the hype that he gets.

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Baker is a game manager, and that's definitely not what you are expecting when you take him #1, but right now that works for them.  

That’s a good point. It’s not that he is not good at all, it’s just that he doesn’t deserve the hype that he’s getting.

And, to your point, not what you expect out of a number one pick.

Edited by BillsFan619

4 hours ago, Rockinon said:

Or they may go hurry up. Don't let the defense have a chance to set up disguises. Just go at them with a mixture of passing concepts and force them on their heels. This is the perfect team to do this with because they like to disguise coverages. By going hurry up, you flip the script.

Thanks for this cause the disguise is what I fear.  The analysis from the 49ers game (Simms and @Cover 1) has been that the 49ers didnt disguise much.  So I'm not necessarily shocked that Allen tore them up. 

I do worry that disguise might slow Allen down a bit while he tries to get to the right side of the field (another area of growth this year) and that will result in Watt getting home.  I saw someone else mention jet sweep motion and I think thatll also be a tool to get Watt to slow down.  Sorta hoping for some draws (RB not QB for this game please), screens, options, and a trick play to get them thinking a bit.  I think the trick plays, which Dabs has a rep for now, may have been why the 49ers played a bit more passive.  

Big Ben is wearing so much protective garb he looks like he is twice his size.  Give him full props though.  When he had a late rusher flash through the A gap, he casually and nimbly I might add, spun away from him.  He's lucky he plays in the 2020 NFL where flag football rules are in effect for QBs.  If he played in the 90s,  Big Ben looks like he's one hit away from ending his career.

8 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

To give Baker his propers, he has picked himself up and played well this year.  He's not being asked to run a laser light show every week under Stefanski and Van Pelt.  He's just being asked to "do his job" and do what he's asked to do.  And to give him credit, he's done it. 

As a result, sacks way down, picks way down, completion % back up towards his rookie mark, and he's not "killing them" so the Browns can win with an offense that's 53% rush attempts, their defense, and just enough out of Mayfield to keep the opposing D from choking down on the box.

It's really not Baker's fault that the national narrative, that was ball-washing and coronating him after his rookie season, is back at it. 

He's doing his job.  He's doing what he's being asked to do.  Pundits are just driven by narrative, and narrative seems to persist like boardinghouse bedbugs

Now that said...if it were Josh Allen whose YPG had dropped from 266 to 239 to 204 over 3 years....who had 6  games passing for less than 200 yds, and several much less than that...the narrative would be all the other way despite the improvements in completion %, INT%, sack %, etcetera.  Because narrative seems to persist....

I did like Baker better than I ever have before when someone asked him what the difference in him was, and he responded "this year, before I do something, I ask myself if it's something an idiot would do.  And if the answer is "yes", I don't do it". 

I thought that was the most self-aware and self-reflective thing I'd ever heard come out of Bakers mouth.  And at the end of the day, that's a bit...telling

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To give Baker his propers, he has picked himself up and played well this year.  He's not being asked to run a laser light show every week under Stefanski and Van Pelt.  He's just being asked to "do his job" and do what he's asked to do.  And to give him credit, he's done it. 

As a result, sacks way down, picks way down, completion % back up towards his rookie mark, and he's not "killing them" so the Browns can win with an offense that's 53% rush attempts, their defense, and just enough out of Mayfield to keep the opposing D from choking down on the box.

It's really not Baker's fault that the national narrative, that was ball-washing and coronating him after his rookie season, is back at it. 

He's doing his job.  He's doing what he's being asked to do.  Pundits are just driven by narrative, and narrative seems to persist like boardinghouse bedbugs

Now that said...if it were Josh Allen whose YPG had dropped from 266 to 239 to 204 over 3 years....who had 6  games passing for less than 200 yds, and several much less than that...the narrative would be all the other way despite the improvements in completion %, INT%, sack %, etcetera.  Because narrative seems to persist....

I did like Baker better than I ever have before when someone asked him what the difference in him was, and he responded "this year, before I do something, I ask myself if it's something an idiot would do.  And if the answer is "yes", I don't do it". 

I thought that was the most self-aware and self-reflective thing I'd ever heard come out of Bakers mouth.  And at the end of the day, that's a bit...telling

Its also a direct quote from The Office and a clear attempt to win the favor with Rainn Wilson who is currently infatuated with our own Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

Sad that we are finally getting EVERYTHING we’ve been asking for as fans over the past 20 years, and we can’t even be there live and in person to experience it. I remember when McBeane joined us that they both said they were looking forward to the day they could bring us a home playoff game with a raucous crowd lined up down the street and ready to go. If it holds, and we win the division, this will just be the capper on an otherwise terrible 2020 (technically early 2021). It’s still a great position for the team and fans to be in, so I can’t complain too much, but a cruel flip of the bird by the universe to us fans. Bummer. 

Edited by TheProcess
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, syhuang said:

Pure gold. I saw this yesterday morning. It’s great. Kiper on FULL send....actually probably not even full send because it looks like he’s about to blow a gasket if it weren’t for being on TV. 

I remember a clip with him and 3 others, including Todd Mcshay, on NFL live in the spring before the 2019 season. The cast was asked who could be the most successful out of that 2018 class after their rookie years and Kiper fought for Allen. They all literally laughed right at him on television. He can be sort of a douche but he has pounded the table for Allen since day one. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Pure gold. I saw this yesterday morning. It’s great. Kiper on FULL send....

I remember a clip with him and 3 others, including Todd Mcshat, on NFL live in the spring before the 2019 season. The cast was asked who could be the most successful out of that 2018 class after their rookie years and Kiper fought for Allen. They all literally laughed right at him on television. He can be sort of a douche but he has pounded the table for Allen since day one. 

And McShay was all in on Darnold also.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

This is fabulous! Mel just went up big time in my book. Great analogy to Randy Johnson. Those other clowns laughing like little school girls should not be on tv.

Pretty sure they are laughing at Kiper's delivery and not his take on Allen.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Process said:

Is the full segment up anywhere?

Foxworth takes jackson. Which is no surprise because he’s absolutely idiotic about Allen. Clark takes Jackson but says Allen is right there and makes it a very hard choice. Desmond Howard takes Allen based on things that actually make sense like size, upside and actual 2020 production.  

16 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Pretty sure they are laughing at Kiper's delivery and not his take on Allen.

Ya. They don’t rip Allen when they get to speak. They were just getting a kick out of how fired up he was. 

56 minutes ago, Bferra13 said:

This is fabulous! Mel just went up big time in my book. Great analogy to Randy Johnson. Those other clowns laughing like little school girls should not be on tv.

Was just scanning through to see if anyone already mentioned, yes the RJ analogy is better than comparing him to any QB I can think of. 

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

He may be capable of more than being a game manager but after the debacle that was last year and some early stinkers from Mayfield they have pulled back on the reins.  They are asking him to protect the ball and take whats there.  They have a strong enough run game and defense for this.  Eventually they will need Baker to win a game for them and that time likely starts Monday when they face the Ravens, followed by Giants and Stillers.  

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Great thoughts and explanation, Hap. Thanks for sharing. I definitely see your point.

Do you really want a game manager out of a #1 pick though? I’m going to somewhat answer my own question but I’d like your thoughts as well.

If it takes him being a game manager for a year or two to start ascending to something greater, then it’s probably worth it for the Browns.

Great back and forth, bro!

Edited by BillsFan619