Week 10: Bills at Cardinals

YoloinOhio

16 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2020/11/10/buffalo-bills-vs-arizona-cardinals-picks-predictions-nfl-week-10/6234477002/

stole this from az forum.   

also i see budda baker should be back which is big for them plus our old compainion jordan phillips should be actiive.   the injury bug bit them on D early in the year 

but they have some really decent players.   

Baker played vs Miami 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Athough the Bills could offer him a contract if another team was interested, he isn’t obligated to take it. Practice squad players (at least in a normal year) are essentially free agents and can/will field offers/calls from other teams. It is usually a courtesy to discuss and check in with their current team to see if the could offer something the player likes better 

Interesting.

I was just going off of this tweet:

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

Interesting.

I was just going off of this tweet:

Actually, Joe is not quite right.  If ANOTHER TEAM Wants to sign Jackson, they must sign him to their 53 man roster for at least 3 weeks.

However, being a free agent means just that; if another team offers to sign Jackson, he is not obligated to sign.  So for example, if the Chiefs or the Saints call, he could say "cool!" but if the Jets or the Jaguars call, he could say "Nah, I'm good here, thanks!"

It used to be the team the player is with now was able to offer them a larger salary to stay on the practice squad instead of going elsewhere, but I think that may be one of the rules that changed to 2 flat rates depending upon experience.

• Like (+1) 1

I watched some of the Phins/Cardinals game.  I came away with thinking that Murray and the WR’s are very good.  Murray was killing Miami with his legs and was almost Lamar Jackson-like.  I do remember how well the Bills held the edge versus Lamar and I hope for a repeat strategy.  If they can keep him in the pocket, I like our chances.

I see a tight game and the difference could be turnovers

9 hours ago, Comebackkid said:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2020/11/10/buffalo-bills-vs-arizona-cardinals-picks-predictions-nfl-week-10/6234477002/

stole this from az forum.   

also i see budda baker should be back which is big for them plus our old compainion jordan phillips should be actiive.   the injury bug bit them on D early in the year 

but they have some really decent players.   

The guys on this board don't seem too optimistic about this game.

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/looking-ahead-to-buffalo.376255/

Also a bills fan on there respectfully laying out a bunch of information regarding the team which was a nice sight to see.

Also, I need to give a shoutout to @SDS.  Sometime going to another fans forum feels like going to a 3rd world country with all the crap that is all over their boards, ads, whitelist popups and the layouts.  Love having the nice, clean uninterrupted look that we have here.

• Like (+1) 5

21 hours ago, YattaOkasan said:

Think this is the game plan again.  Hoping Hyde and Poyer are disguising coverages against him like they did against Wilson.  

I just listened to joe Marino comprehensive primer on the cards and sounds like you definitely do not want to blitz Murray. I don’t remember the exact stats but he’s very effective against the blitz and wants to “invite chaos.” His worst game was against the panthers and they blitzed him only 5 times and within those 5 he had 2 TDs and a great stat line. Same with Miami, he killed their blitz. Best to make him play within the structure of the offense and stay disciplined.

here is the link - a great listen 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/locked-on-bills-daily-podcast-on-the-buffalo-bills/id1145479962#episodeGuid=5ec2e7fe-23d3-11eb-86c4-87c6382007ec

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Actually, Joe is not quite right.  If ANOTHER TEAM Wants to sign Jackson, they must sign him to their 53 man roster for at least 3 weeks.

However, being a free agent means just that; if another team offers to sign Jackson, he is not obligated to sign.  So for example, if the Chiefs or the Saints call, he could say "cool!" but if the Jets or the Jaguars call, he could say "Nah, I'm good here, thanks!"

It used to be the team the player is with now was able to offer them a larger salary to stay on the practice squad instead of going elsewhere, but I think that may be one of the rules that changed to 2 flat rates depending upon experience.

not sure if this is what you meant, but I believe the 3 week minimum only relates to guaranteed monies. The player themselves could be released at anytime but activating them to their roster would result in a guarantee that player is paid for at least 3 weeks regardless if he is on the team or not (at least in a normal year).

19 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just listened to joe Marino comprehensive primer on the cards and sounds like you definitely do not want to blitz Murray. I don’t remember the exact stats but he’s very effective against the blitz and wants to “invite chaos.” His worst game was against the panthers and they blitzed him only 5 times and within those 5 he had 2 TDs and a great stat line. Same with Miami, he killed their blitz. Best to make him play within the structure of the offense and stay disciplined.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/locked-on-bills-daily-podcast-on-the-buffalo-bills/id1145479962#episodeGuid=5ec2e7fe-23d3-11eb-86c4-87c6382007ec

Interesting.  Back to collapse the pocket with 4 to get pressure.  I think that makes sense but he could have a lot time back there to diagnose zones.  Keeping him contained is def important as his vision will also be obstructed.

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I've seen us just rush 3 at the snap and either Addison or Hughes drop to the middle and spy the QB.  Go after them as soon as they see clearance or the QB takes off.  

I think we see that a lot this week.  

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

The guys on this board don't seem too optimistic about this game.

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/forum/threads/looking-ahead-to-buffalo.376255/

Also a bills fan on there respectfully laying out a bunch of information regarding the team which was a nice sight to see.

Also, I need to give a shoutout to @SDS.  Sometime going to another fans forum feels like going to a 3rd world country with all the crap that is all over their boards, ads, whitelist popups and the layouts.  Love having the nice, clean uninterrupted look that we have here.

Skimming through this confirms my view that there really is no such thing as an Arizona cardinals’ fan. I am kind of surprised they even have a message board, but it looks like it is one created by a local sports channel for all Arizona teams. 

no offense to Arizona— one of my favorite states— but it’s a place filled with old people and transplants and without any sort of pro sports culture. 

Also, re their message board, Do they have character limits? Each person’s post is like 1-sentence long. 

50 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

not sure if this is what you meant, but I believe the 3 week minimum only relates to guaranteed monies. The player themselves could be released at anytime but activating them to their roster would result in a guarantee that player is paid for at least 3 weeks regardless if he is on the team or not (at least in a normal year).

Actually I didn't know that but it makes sense

Rewatched the Miami-Cards game.

My observations:

1.  Cards blitzed Tua a lot. 

2.  Preston Williams (MIA) was injured in the end zone AFTER his TD catch when an excited MIA lineman jumped on him to celebrate.

3.  Howard played on Hopkins most of the day and Murray rarely looked his way.

4.  CB Kevin Peterson playing for Covidion Kirkpatrick was abused by MIA.  He drew a couple PI calls.  He left field with a concussion in 2nd. 

5.  WR Kirk is going to be the challenge for the Bills.  He has great speed and runs deep routes on Cover 0 calls.

6.  Murray runs right more than left.  But his TD run was to the left.

7.  Cards had place kicker, and holder on field lined up at WR with Murray on the field on 4th and 10.  MIA called TO, so the play never happened.

8.  Cards ran a ton of no huddle offense.

9.  There were 6 PI called in this game 4-2 in favor of Cards. 

10.  Larry Fitzgerald is just the consummate pro.  He runs great routes and catches everything thrown at him.  He is no longer a home run threat, but he sits down in the middle of the seam pretty regularly now and makes 10 yard receptions.

11.  4200 fans in stands.  Saw MIA jerseys, so I expect to see Bills jerseys this week.

12.  MIA tried all day to run between the tackles and the Cards shut it down consistently.  That is until the last series of the game where Howard got 8 yds on first down allowing a Tua sneak to seal the game.

13.  RB Edmonds carried a lot but didn't really amount to much. 25-70 yds. 

14.  MIA played without 5 assistant coaches due to COVID.  TE coach was calling plays.

15.  On 4th and 1 plays, Murray is very likely to try and run off tackle.  The one time they tried it and he didn't run on 4th and inches, MIA stopped Edmonds.  This was really the defensive play of the game for MIA.  It stopped the Cards at mid field and allowed MIA to go down and get what would be the winning field goal.

16.  Cards go on 4th and 1, seemingly all the time.

17.  The Cards attempt to tie the game with a 49 FG looked beautiful and straight.  It incredibly fell short.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 7

23 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

bengals steelers is on fox and we're on CBS.... which is odd since we're the team playing the NFC squad.

The reason Bengals - Steelers (as well as Browns-Texans) are on Fox is because CBS has the masters on and isn’t broadcasting any 1pm games. The masters usually goes until about 7 but this year it will be too dark, so they are ending early and will broadcast the late game (Bills) instead. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

23 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

bengals steelers is on fox and we're on CBS.... which is odd since we're the team playing the NFC squad.

23 hours ago, nucci said:

Road team determines the network...it's why Seahawks game was on Fox....but I think this year they changed it up a bit and AFC games on Fox and NFC CBS

@nucci is correct, although the networks have been "swapping" certain games for several years now.  That part seems to be haphazard.  But in general, AFC road team = CBS and NFC road team = FOX.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Actually I didn't know that but it makes sense

Not sure the quality of the source, but this article is from 2018:

http://footballnextlevel.com/tag/2019-practice-squad-pay/

Practice Squad: The maximum players allowed on a NFL teams practice squad is 10.  A practice squad player can sign with any teams 53 man roster at any time and if signs with another team then its own the player is guaranteed 3 regular season game checks (Assuming there is 3 regular season games left).

EDIT: Okay, I can confirm this. Here is the 2020 CBA. The following is an excerpt from Article 33, Practice Squads (p.195):

"Section 6. Active List (Other Clubs): If a player on the Practice Squad of one club (Club A) signs an NFL Player Contract with another club (Club B), (1) the player shall receive three weeks salary of his NFL Player Contract at the 53-player Active/Inactive List minimum even if he is terminated by Club B prior to earning that amount, and (2) Club B is required to count the player on its 53-player Active/Inactive List for three games (a bye week counts as a game) even if he is terminated, traded, or assigned via waivers to another club or is signed as a free agent to another club’s 53-player roster or another club’s Practice Squad prior to that time."

So I'm not sure if this applies only to a NEW team signing a player off of a practice squad or if their current team signs them. HOWEVER, under the 2020 CBA, two practice quad players that are elevated to active rosters are not techniqually signed to active roster contracts, and are only entitled to 1/17th minimum salary for that week's game, and then revert back to the practice squad. So the 2020 CoVID elevations definitely dont apply to the 3-game minimum payment because they never terminate the practice squad contract. 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

6 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Would love to get some thoughts. What’s the most important player vs. player matchup this week in our game against the Cardinals?

Here is a low key match-up to watch:

Haason Reddick vs. Dion Dawkins (or whatever Tackle)

Reddick leads the team with 5 sacks and 9.5 TFLs. He has played over 90% of defensive snaps over the last two games. I'm interested to see this match-up because I believe is Allen is afforded the time in the pocket, as he was given the first half of the Seahawks games, he will torch them. 

Buddha vs. the world is another:

How will they deploy him vs our offense. I imagine he'll be down near the LOS a lot. Can Allen and co. maneuver the protection to account for him without isolating him rushing the passer against the likes on Knox (see Knox v. Adams last week). 

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 1

I heard Eric Wood talk about the pressure packages we brought against Seattle, and how it’s difficult to do that against tempo.  

Arizona runs tempo as much as anyone.  

Given our defense FINALLY looked like the defense we were expecting this year, it will be interesting to see how they counter Arizona’s offense.  

One thing they seem to always do, is run breakneck tempo after a big play.  

29 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Tremaine Edmunds vs Kyler Murray

Great thought, bro! Thanks for sharing.

22 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Here is a low key match-up to watch:

Haason Reddick vs. Dion Dawkins (or whatever Tackle)

Reddick leads the team with 5 sacks and 9.5 TFLs. He has played over 90% of defensive snaps over the last two games. I'm interested to see this match-up because I believe is Allen is afforded the time in the pocket, as he was given the first half of the Seahawks games, he will torch them. 

Buddha vs. the word is another:

How will they deploy him vs our offense. I imagine he'll be down near the LOS a lot. Can Allen and co. maneuver the protection to account for him without isolating him rushing the passer against the likes on Knox (see Knox v. Adams last week). 

Love it! Thanks for sharing, bro!

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ugh Ugh Ugh on Tre White.  Did he say anything more about what the injury is?  (I wouldn't expect it).

Also did he say anything about Harrison Phillips?

Tre has an ankle injury. Didn’t seem like it was serious at the time. 

I wouldn’t worry just yet since it’s only Wednesday and McD gives players who are dealing with injuries Wednesdays off. 

• Like (+1) 1