Need to trade for a pass rusher

I'm going to chalk this up to the humidity in Florida.  I don't necessarily disagree with what the OP has identified as a problem tho. 

The fans may have overestimated how good the DL is but the front office didnt that's why they drafted AJ.

I'm going to give it a few weeks before I'd start to call it a concern.  Right now on a scale of 1 not at all to 10 it's a crisis I think I'd say it's a 3.  

Our best pass rusher is over 30.  Addison has a ton of miles.  I didn't even see Murphy today.  Oliver has yet to "arrive."  Everyone else is just meh.  

• Like (+1) 1

It was crystal clear that we missed Milano and Edmunds—that combined with a brutal 3rd quarter reminiscent of SB XXV, where the Bills only ran something like 8 plays on offense, gassing us in the Miami heat/humidity, and there’s your defensive stumble right there. Let’s pump the brakes and see how we look next week on D against one of the NFL offensive gurus, but on our turf. 

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You’re saying that we NEED to trade for a pass rusher.  

you act as if Milano and Edmunds we’re playing.  That’s why we gave up so many points today.  Plain and simple.  Dotson played a nice first half, but Frazier had to shade help differently today because our two best LBers weren’t there.  

one must also give Fitz a LOT of credit. He was throwing perfect passes out there today.  An absolute gem of a game he played imo

Fair points. To be honest,  I've been saying they need a pass rusher since before the draft. I'm not panicking and I'm not questioning the overall direction of the team. Just like Beane traded for Benjamin I think he should make a move now. I praised the move then even if it didn't work out in the long run. 

Just now, Ethan in Portland said:

Fair points. To be honest,  I've been saying they need a pass rusher since before the draft. I'm not panicking and I'm not questioning the overall direction of the team. Just like Beane traded for Benjamin I think he should make a move now. I praised the move then even if it didn't work out in the long run. 

Who though?  Which pass rushers are just available week 2 during the year of the injury. Teams are banged up.  Gonna have to pay a premium for something that we might not “need”.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This offense can make a deep playoff run. This defense lacks a pass rush and is average to below average in causing turnovers. 13th last year and only one turnover in 2 games so far. 

It's time for Beane to go all in and give up some draft capital for a pass rusher. There are several teams that have no future in 2020.  Find someone that can play a hybrid DE/OLB. 

I though Clowney would have been a play maker we should have gone harder after,  we need help

• Like (+1) 1

Fitzpatrick was pressured and  we sent blitzes 2 or 3 times in the whole game. Hughes and Addison,  along with Oliver should be enough. Remember,  Edmonds gets QB pressure too. A lot of their pass yardage came in 2 minute offense where they played prevent. Our defense should be good enough if Josh plays like he did the first 2 games. 

53 minutes ago, Hampton Josh fan said:

Fitzpatrick was pressured and  we sent blitzes 2 or 3 times in the whole game. Hughes and Addison,  along with Oliver should be enough. Remember,  Edmonds gets QB pressure too. A lot of their pass yardage came in 2 minute offense where they played prevent. Our defense should be good enough if Josh plays like he did the first 2 games. 

Blitzes two or three times???? Cmon they sent extra guys multiple times. Poyer had a nice sack on a blitz call.

2 hours ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

TJ Watt or Nick Bosa

I don't really want Nick Bosa right now.

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

Pass rush wasn’t the problem today it was the coverage. Fitz was getting the bsll open quick and throwing it to the same spot a lot of the time. Sometimes I thought I was watching instant replay.

Linebackers were an issue today. Dodson made some nice plays but he got sucked in on play action a lot and the middle of the field was very very open.

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Blitzes two or three times???? Cmon they sent extra guys multiple times. Poyer had a nice sack on a blitz call.

Didn't seem like they blitzed that much, you could be right.  Fitzpatrick looked like he was pressured and just barely got throws out into real tight coverage. Gesicki is a big play beast. Like to see how they game plan for Goff. I'm sure they will generate more pressure with Edmunds.

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

McDermott's scheme doesn't run through the DEs. It runs through the MLB and CBs. We struggled today because we were missing starters at both positions. Hopefully Edmunds is back next week and Norman the following week.

Levi has always been our starter at the other CB position.   

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Ok maybe you all watched a different game than I did. 

Here is what I saw. Defense gave up 28 points and it could have been 31 or 35 if Dolphins go for FG or don't drop a TD pass(though he may not have crossed the line). Bills were losing to Dolphins in 4th quarter with a defense that could not get off the field. 

No pass rush with just four guys. Oliver had a nice hustle sack after falling to the ground and Poyer had a nice blitz sack. 

One turnover in two games. They won't beat better teams without a pass rush and forcing turnovers. 

The Bills had Bruce Smith when they traded for Bennett. This team finally has an offense to compete. Go get a difference maker on defense. 

Well, THIS games’ stat line reads: TEN QB hits and THREE sacks. You may finally be correct about something. You HAD to have watched a different game. 

Yet again, you’re making a fool of yourself. Consider posting less. Better to be though a fool than to start typing and remove all doubt.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Well, THIS games’ stat line reads: TEN QB hits and THREE sacks. You may finally be correct about something. You HAD to have watched a different game. 

Yet again, you’re making a fool of yourself. Consider posting less. Better to be though a fool than to start typing and remove all doubt.

Chandler why do you attack everyone that has a different opinion.  The stat line read 28 points and no turnovers.  I pointed out two of the three sacks you mentioned in your stats.   

Since you are a moderator I suspect you will not get any points assigned to you for calling another poster a fool.  If I did that to you I would get banned for 5 days.  Inappropriate behavior that will  not be addressed.  

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Chandler why do you attack everyone that has a different opinion.  The stat line read 28 points and no turnovers.  I pointed out two of the three sacks you mentioned in your stats.   

Since you are a moderator I suspect you will not get any points assigned to you for calling another poster a fool.  If I did that to you I would get banned for 5 days.  Inappropriate behavior that will  not be addressed.  

I just came off a suspension (the point never expires) he gave me for calling a guy a moron in response to them calling me dense.  He cited my history of warnings showing I "clearly don't care about the rules" when my last warning was over a year ago.  I'm the one who doesn't care about the rules when he gets to go around calling people fools under the shield of being a mod.

I can only assume he's having a bad week and is lashing out.

1 minute ago, 1ManRaid said:

I just came off a suspension (the point never expires) he gave me for calling a guy a moron in response to them calling me dense.  He cited my history of warnings showing I "clearly don't care about the rules" when my last warning was over a year ago.  I'm the one who doesn't care about the rules when he gets to go around calling people fools under the shield of being a mod.

I can only assume he's having a bad week and is lashing out.

Yup.  Total BS.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Yup.  Total BS.  

I stated you’re making a fool of yourself again -which you are. Again. There’s a difference between that and saying you’re a fool/moron, but it takes graduating 9th Grade to garner the subtle nuance of language. That you can’t comprehend this through the majority of responses to your threads, certainly implies you fell short of 10th grade.

Lucky for you, I’m here to help.😉👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

I stated you’re making a fool of yourself again -which you are. Again. There’s a difference between that and saying you’re a fool/moron, but it takes graduating 9th Grade to garner the subtle nuance of language. That you can’t comprehend this through the majority of responses to your threads, certainly implies you fell short of 10th grade.

Whatever.  You know I can not fight back because I will get banned.  

11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

This offense can make a deep playoff run. This defense lacks a pass rush and is average to below average in causing turnovers. 13th last year and only one turnover in 2 games so far. 

It's time for Beane to go all in and give up some draft capital for a pass rusher. There are several teams that have no future in 2020.  Find someone that can play a hybrid DE/OLB. 

This doesn't make any sense. Fitz was getting rid of the ball very quickly today most plays. Doesn't matter who you got he wasn't going to get sacked much. We got 3 today. One was a coverage sack where he had nobody to throw to.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Addison should line up at RDE and Hughes at LDE. They were both getting immense pressure when they were lined up at such. I do think we could use more talent at EDGE, as it should be a high priority in next year’s draft but for now I think that minor adjustment could pay dividends. And who knows what we got in Epenesa, I still think he’s a great prospect with a bright future.. Epenesa developing into a star is still a distinct possibility. No doubt a prospect like Mack, Bosa or Garrett would take our defense to an elite level..so OP in the end I suppose I agree with ya...we’ll just have to wait n see..

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I think I like sassy Chandler...... you go girl.

12 hours ago, Augie said:

You just get used to it eventually......

I expected problems in intermediate coverage. We were missing two of  our best players on defense.

Fitz is no dummy. To me the key was the offense stepping up to earn a win for a change. I like a lot of what I saw. 

We won, we are 2-0 with 2 wins in division, and I’m HAPPY! 

Yup, it’s as if it wasn’t known by everyone that we had two starting linebackers out injured... well it appears everyone but Ethan...

Go Bills!!! 

The pass rush was very good on Sunday.  As was our coverage on the back-end.

As Bills fans, I know it makes us upset.  But Ryan Fitzpatrick was fantastic yesterday, and there really wasn't much we could do about it.  

The pressure was there most of the game.  Fitz was just getting his throws off anyway, and they were extremely accurate.  Miami's receivers were making contested catches, regardless of how well our defenders had them blanketed.  And when we brought pressure, Fitz quickly found the soft spot left in the zone coverage.

The loss of Tremaine Edmunds and Matt Milano is going to get most of the blame this week.  And I have a feeling Levi Wallace will also face plenty of criticism.  Don't be surprised if people start saying our defense has taken a step back.  But we should know better than anyone.  Sometimes this just happens when you play against Fitz.  There will be games when he looks absolutely unstoppable.  A week later, he will go back to being a turnover machine.  We ran into Fitz on the wrong day (for us).  Fortunately, our offense was up to the task.

• Like (+1) 1

Definitely did not come away from this game thinking we need more pass rushers.  DL was fine. 

Fitz was good Fitz. We all should’ve seen it coming after he threw for 3 picks against NE.   He got the ball out FAST.... and abused Levi and our two missing pro-bowl linebackers.  

Edited by SCBills

Last season Fitz made Belichicks vaunted defense suffer a loss in a must win game, it’s Fitz, it happens...we won the game, moving on..

Go Bills!!!

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Definitely did not come away from this game thinking we need more pass rushers.  DL was fine. 

Fitz was good Fitz. We all should’ve seen it coming after he threw for 3 picks against NE.   He got the ball out FAST.... and abused Levi and our two missing pro-bowl linebackers.  

It really showed me how unique Edmunds is. I will watch the all22 when it comes out but my instinct was there were 3 or 4 of those big completions over the middle - at least a couple to Gesicki and one to Isaiah Ford that don't even get thrown if they have to get over / around Edmunds.

Generally speaking, this thread is silly. 

I do find it interesting that many who said we shouldn’t pay Milano and consistently point out any mistakes made by Edmunds that they are now preaching, ‘We need our starters back!’ 😃 

It seems many look at individual plays and make a would-be personnel decision based on that as opposed to looking at their entire body of work. 

13 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

because teams are willing to trade good pass rushers....

Edited by nucci

The Bills invested in DE and DL, the larger issue is the CB depth with Wallace not playing all that well so far and Norman on IR, hopefully for just one more week. The absence of Edmunds and Milano was noticeable in the passing game yesterday even though Dodson did well overall, but the larger concern is CB IMHO.

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

To be fair, its probably pretty hard to see the game through all that smoke while Portland is burning..

• Like (+1) 1