Fitzmagic vs T-Mobile

On 8/29/2020 at 12:49 PM, GunnerBill said:

Yea that is basically what it was for me. Fitz's style could have won he just wasn't quite good enough (though the Bills never gave him a defense close to what Tyrod had). 

Tyrod to me you can't win with in any sustained way. There is a lower ceiling for that style of play. Don't me wrong as much as I wanted to move on from Tyrod and watching him try and play QB infuriated me, I totally respect him for what he did for the franchise and the professional way he dealt with everything that happened in his time here.

Essentially both guys were pros.... Fitz was fun. Tyrod was not. 

Tyrod .521 winning

fitz .395

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Tyrod .521 winning

fitz .395

Indeed. Neither was good enough to win. But Fitz at least tried to play the way you need to in order to win. Someone playing Tyrod's style of football and doing it perfectly still wouldn't win championships. That was my point.

Probably would go with Tyrod if you have to win one game. But if you are building a franchise it’s Fitz by a mile.  With Fitz in there you can develop a receiving corps. He’s very good at feeding the ball to top tier or emerging receivers and giving them chances to make plays. Tyrod will only throw it to you if he sees you wide open. 

Edited by Charles Romes

This isn’t even up for a debate. Fitz is twice the qb tyrod is. It’s highway robbery that we got a top of the third round pick for him when we traded him. Nice guy but not a very good qb. He managed us into the playoffs with one of the flukiest crappy years that afc teams were going through. Remember we ended up playing the jags starting bortles who is also barely in the nfl at this point and lost lol. 

2 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Unfortunately my recollection of Tyrod is that playoff game and how he just would not try to make a play.  That game still sticks in my craw  .  We lost to a incredibly bad qb that day

Because we also had a horribly bad qb. Fitz is an actual qb who even with minimal weapons has put up good numbers. It fitz had the weapons tyrod did with the defense we had fitz could very still be our qb. People going by their win percentages over their entire careers are way off base as using that as a metic for who the better qb was/is. It’s like saying josh allen didn’t have a good college career and can’t be a good Qb in the nfl. It’s just a useless argument. 

If you look at their career passing numbers are when both are done it’s clear who is the better more accomplished qb. Fitz often times went into ***** positions and made the best of it while making those around him better tyrod has never done that.

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I also think Fitz is actually a much better QB today than he was with us. I don’t believe most Bills fans understand that either. We had a lesser Fitz than the one who has played in recent years. 

I mean he had an 83.5 QB Rating heading into today's game with 4 TDs 5 INTs...he has pretty much been the same QB he has always been. Once DCs catch up to what he is doing to start a season he has no answers due to his physical limitations.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I mean he had an 83.5 QB Rating heading into today's game with 4 TDs 5 INTs...he has pretty much been the same QB he has always been. Once DCs catch up to what he is doing to start a season he has no answers due to his physical limitations.

Fair enough, all your points are valid. I’d still make the argument that Fitz’s 2015 Jets season, and 2019 Dolphins seasons were better than any in Buffalo. Obviously there’s many factors, and I’m not saying he’s become a franchise QB. I’m just saying that I’ve noticed small details in his game that have improved since his time with the Bills. Fitz is a smart guy, and with age comes wisdom. He’s a guy who’s capable of using everything he’s learned over the years to improve. He’s definitely not a franchise QB, but I’ve been more impressed by him as an opponent, than I was with him as a Bill. 

1 hour ago, SirAndrew said:

Fair enough, all your points are valid. I’d still make the argument that Fitz’s 2015 Jets season, and 2019 Dolphins seasons were better than any in Buffalo. Obviously there’s many factors, and I’m not saying he’s become a franchise QB. I’m just saying that I’ve noticed small details in his game that have improved since his time with the Bills. Fitz is a smart guy, and with age comes wisdom. He’s a guy who’s capable of using everything he’s learned over the years to improve. He’s definitely not a franchise QB, but I’ve been more impressed by him as an opponent, than I was with him as a Bill. 

I mean he is the greatest journeyman player in sports history.

The man just passed Tony Romo on the career passing yards list. And is probably under a full season away from passing Kelly...

That is sheer craziness.

But at the end of the day he is who he always is

..a guy that is going to make some great throws, put it all on the line but more often than not lose because of his physical limitations.

Edited by matter2003

Tyrod is a QB you'd love to have if you had a 2 touchdown lead.  If you were two touchdowns behind and wanted a chance to win, Fitzpatrick is your guy.  He might toss a pick or two while trying, but he's not afraid to try.

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I mean he is the greatest journeyman player in sports history.

The man just passed Tony Romo on the career passing yards list. And is probably under a full season away from passing Kelly...

That is sheer craziness.

But at the end of the day he is who he always is

..a guy that is going to make some great throws, put it all on the line but more often than not lose because of his physical limitations.

Well he has the highest earnings ever.

The greatest journeyman of all time in any sport is Gary "Suitcase" Smith

Nobody can match his travels 23 teams 10 different leagues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Smith_(ice_hockey)

On 8/29/2020 at 2:15 PM, Warcodered said:

also Fitz dresses like this

Fitzpatrick's Fabulous Presser 'Stay Humble & Not Let Wins Change Who We  Are' ? - YouTube

Actually that is how Desean Jackson dresses.......Fitz just used the wrong locker after the game.

I like them both, Fitz is a character, he's a gunslinger on the field, off the field he's funloving and outgoing and very funny.  Tyrod is kind of timid, afraid to make mistakes...and is reserved, shy off the field.

I would pick Fitz over Tyrod, but Fitz and Tyrod were the two best QB's of the drought era and most watchable.    To this day I would gladly take either as a backup to Allen. 

I think that Fitz was more endearing that Tyrod because he had the personality to go with it and was seen as a guy with limited ability playing out of his mind.   it also helped his cause that we had just endured years of Losman and Edwards where 100-150 yard efforts were the norm.  Quite frankly, anyone would have felt like an upgrade at that time.     Tyrod on the other hand started out as a diamond on the rough, actually made the probowl his first year but stopped getting better after that resulting in many being disappointed.   

Fitz teams were not seen as contenders but would always put points on the board and show potential for a true upset.   Tyrod led teams were less exciting on offense, but better than most drought era teams.   There was at least a chance to get a wild card, but that was the ceiling.   

Allen has turned into the real deal and is miles ahead of either, but I always appreciated the efforts of both Fitz and Tyrod.

Edited by dgrochester55

1 hour ago, JMF2006 said:

Well he has the highest earnings ever.

The greatest journeyman of all time in any sport is Gary "Suitcase" Smith

Nobody can match his travels 23 teams 10 different leagues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Smith_(ice_hockey)

Where does he rank in career statistics tho? I see he was part of the winning vezina tandem but I am pretty sure Esposito won that award for him.

Fitz not only travels all over the league but he puts up numbers...

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Nope

LOL.  Well, if you had to pick between using Tyrod for a game in which you were comfortably ahead and a game where you are behind with at least a chance to come back, you might pick him for the former.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/29/2020 at 1:45 PM, billvernsays said:

In light of what going on in the country I wanted to get to the bottom of why Fitzmagic is so popular among Bills fans where Tyrod is not. 

My thought is it all comes down to heart. Fitzmagic didn’t care about throwing picks but he was gonna try to get that critical 3rd down conversion no matter what. Like when you can tell watching the game on TV “If we don’t get this one it’s over” Fitz could care less if he threw at pick at that point because he knew the game was over either way if we didn’t convert.

Tyrod was the exact opposite he would never lose you a game but if we were behind the chains at all(e.g holding penalty or sack) we might as well have punted on 3rd down every time. As frustrating as that may have been he would rarely turn the ball over, especially when it mattered most. ( e.g. last year when Fitz threw a pick to TreDay allowing us to climb back into the game). To add to that I believe Tyrod was a main contributor to us ending to drought. 

My assumption is Fitz is viewed as a warrior, much like Josh Allen, and Tyrod is viewed as a game manager which is why there’s a disparity but perhaps I’m just oblivious. 

Fitz was popular for his charisma, he was bad as a QB in buffalo...  Ironically he seems like he is still getting better with age. We will see if his arm lasts the season. 

Tyrod was every bit the warrior, but with no charisma facing the outside world anyway. He made some gritty plays as well but was absolutely more conservative d we it’s the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve thought about this too. I think people just like Fitz’ personality better and the fact he still loves Buffalo. Fitz is a very likable guy who seems super down to earth. 

Tyrod is a great dude, but he doesn’t rock Star Wars shirts to press conferences or act like a goofball on the field. 

I’d prefer Tyrod as a backup QB, but I’d honestly love to see both retire a Bill.

8 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Fitz was popular for his charisma, he was bad as a QB in buffalo...  Ironically he seems like he is still getting better with age. We will see if his arm lasts the season. 

Tyrod was every bit the warrior, but with no charisma facing the outside world anyway. He made some gritty plays as well but was absolutely more conservative d we it’s the ball. 

Fitz has 3 of his 4 best td seasons in Buffalo

He was just as good here as he is now he just has better WRs and TEs in miami

He was throwing to undrafted Donald Jones and undrafted David Nelson, and undrafted Scott Chandler. Fitz also made Stevie Johnson's career

he was the only reason we were in games in that era

On 8/29/2020 at 10:45 AM, billvernsays said:

In light of what going on in the country I wanted to get to the bottom of why Fitzmagic is so popular among Bills fans where Tyrod is not. 

My thought is it all comes down to heart. Fitzmagic didn’t care about throwing picks but he was gonna try to get that critical 3rd down conversion no matter what. Like when you can tell watching the game on TV “If we don’t get this one it’s over” Fitz could care less if he threw at pick at that point because he knew the game was over either way if we didn’t convert.

Tyrod was the exact opposite he would never lose you a game but if we were behind the chains at all(e.g holding penalty or sack) we might as well have punted on 3rd down every time. As frustrating as that may have been he would rarely turn the ball over, especially when it mattered most. ( e.g. last year when Fitz threw a pick to TreDay allowing us to climb back into the game). To add to that I believe Tyrod was a main contributor to us ending to drought. 

My assumption is Fitz is viewed as a warrior, much like Josh Allen, and Tyrod is viewed as a game manager which is why there’s a disparity but perhaps I’m just oblivious. 

From 2001-2017 Tyrod was by far the best QB the Bills had and arguably the best they had since Jim Kelly by 2017. Yes for half a season Bledsoe might have had better peak value but he stunk it up the rest of the years he was here. Now that probably says more about the Bills QB position than it does about Tyrod but still Tyrod deserves more love than he gets for what he was able to do. 

Had Rex and some key injuries in the secondary not ***** a top 5 defense Tyrod would have easily broken the drought in 2015. Tyrod was basically a game manager plus. He could manage a game and make plays with his legs and on his best days he could hurt you down the field a handful of times. Truthfully if he was able to consistently get the ball downfield like he could do sometimes he would have been a consistent winner in the league. But sadly in too many games he was so much more cautious than he should have been. 

I think fans fell in love with Fitz because the team had fairly low expectation when he was here and the fact that his story and personality appealed to fans. 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Fitz has 3 of his 4 best td seasons in Buffalo

He was just as good here as he is now he just has better WRs and TEs in miami

He was throwing to undrafted Donald Jones and undrafted David Nelson, and undrafted Scott Chandler. Fitz also made Stevie Johnson's career

he was the only reason we were in games in that era

the fact that 3 of his best 4 seasons were on those dumpster fire teams should tell you all you need to know. 

His crappy WRs were the most talented he’d ever played with at that point because he was on the scout team prior to that 

On 8/29/2020 at 11:32 AM, Mickey said:

A bit revisionist I think. Plenty of people wanted Fitz out of Buffalo and were not shy about voicing their conviction that the Bills were wasting his time with him as their QB. That having been said, Tyrod is an introvert and so he was just never able to connect with fans who respected his play.

This.  Anyone who has the impression that Fitz was beloved while playing for the Bills is not remembering history accurately.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Where does he rank in career statistics tho? I see he was part of the winning vezina tandem but I am pretty sure Esposito won that award for him.

Fitz not only travels all over the league but he puts up numbers...

That was a career year for Old Gary he wasn't on very many many good teams.

10 hours ago, KD in CA said:

This.  Anyone who has the impression that Fitz was beloved while playing for the Bills is not remembering history accurately.

He was loved after he left because the QB's brought in after him were actually worse ;)

On 8/29/2020 at 2:06 PM, YoloinOhio said:

I really like Tyrod as a person too (from what I know). On the field, i would not want either one as my starter. As far as fitzy being more popular per se, I think it’s probably just his gregarious personality and apparent love that he still has for Bills fans, Buffalo etc. Tyrod may have that too but Fitz is just more out there.

The funny thing about fitz is that i think he’s a measurably better player now. Still streaky, of course.