Bills sign LB Tyler Matakevich on a 2 year deal $9m

MAJBobby

Just now, Philo said:

I have never seen an even semi positive post from that poster

That’s what I was trying to get at, if he actually likes anything since he cries on every thread. Every move or potential move he’s miserable. 

• Like (+1) 2

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2020/03/17/steelers-tyler-matakevich-signs-bills-fdl/

"Matakevich joined the Steelers in 2016 out of Temple with a reputation of being a tackling machine. That has proven to be the case on special teams for the Steelers. In 2019, Matakevich matched the Chargers Derek Watt for the NFL lead in special teams tackles with 16."

Between him and Klein playing ST snaps - Dimarco may be looking at a tough road to making the roster.  They seem to like Neal as a gunner, I'm not sure who the other primary gunner would be in punt coverage, but foster, duke, johnson, will all be probably competing for that spot. There's also the draft, and chance they sign someone else.

I think they're upgrading special teams - good teams have good special teams year in year out.  Need a punter now.  

some info on Tyler

https://section215.com/2020/03/15/philadelphia-eagles-matakevich-temple/

intangibles and special teams ace

The ‘tuff’-est of all Temple Owls of the Matt Rhule-era, Matakevich brought leadership, grit, and, most importantly, a lumbering presence to the middle of the field as a coach on the field for the better part of four seasons. Despite lacking the elite athleticism required to become a starter at the next-level, Matakevich’s intangibles and tireless work ethic were encouraging enough to transcend his meager measurables and become a seventh-round selection in the 2016 NFL Draft.

Matakevich has recorded 77 tackles in 67 games of action, a virtually unheard of stat for a special teams-only player.

scheme fit

To truly succeed at running an attacking 4-3 scheme, especially one lacking in elite speed rushers on the outside, the Bills need big, range-y linebackers who can take on an offensive lineman and make an impact against the run.

In an ideal world, the Bills would sign a player like Matakevich to not only play as a special teams ace but also to compete for a role as a base-package thumper to combat the run and make solid decisions in zone coverage.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

High motor lunch pail signing alert!!!!

Every day all day!! I hear he also gives it a 110% with his deceptively quick first step, which is nice! :w00t:

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

That's big money for just a STer. 

Steve Tasker would like a brief word... :P

Apparently we got a steal guys with this guy, from what i saw on the Steelers social media, he’s an hard worker and a really solid tackler + he made a lot of tackles on ST last year. 

#GoBills!

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Smitty75 said:

Apparently we got a steal guys with this guy, from what i saw on the Steelers social media, he’s an hard worker and a really solid tackler + he made a lot of tackles on ST last year. 

#GoBills!

Not sure $4.5M per for a ST player is a steal. Nice luxury to have $4.5M to spend on this type of player.

8 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Not sure $4.5M per for a ST player is a steal. Nice luxury to have $4.5M to spend on this type of player.

Rereading the verbage it says up to $9m so there are probably incentives to reach the $9m maybe based on if plays any regular downs or leads league in ST tackles/gets a Pro Bowl etc.