Bills not Browns breakout team of the year

DJB

https://www.thestar.com/amp/sports/football/opinion/2019/12/16/the-10-win-bills-are-building-something-to-last-in-buffalo.html

The pre-season NFL prognostications focused excitedly on an exciting young Rust Belt team finally poised to make a meaningful step forward.

The prognosticators, however, were just a wee bit too west in their aim.

Instead of the Cleveland Browns, as it has turned out, it was the Buffalo Bills who were the team to watch. Instead of Baker Mayfield, they should have been talking more about Josh Allen. Instead of Myles Garrett and Denzel Ward, it should have been more about Tremaine Edmunds and Tre’Davious White.

Rest of article in link

• Like (+1) 19
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I use to feel for the Browns. I beared them no ill will. But my god have they become an unlikable bunch.

Yeah they have.  I don't think there's a more unlikeable player in the league than Jarvis Landry.  
Baker is up there too but at least he makes funny State Farm Commercials....at least I think they're funny.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2

How bout them browns, ?

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah they have.  I don't think there's a more unlikeable player in the league than Jarvis Landry.  
Baker is up there too but at least he makes funny State Farm Commercials....at least I think they're funny.

Progressive 

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Not sure which team is more disappointing.  Chargers, browns, cowboys, falcons or eagles.  

The Cowboys still have a chance to win their division so underachieving as they may be, I don't think they are at the complete disappointment level as some of the others. The Chargers, Eagles, and Falcons have all had some injuries to key players so I kind of give them a pass as well. The Browns on the other hand have one of the best offenses on paper in the league and the defense was already supposed to be their strongsuit prior to the year. Freddie Kitchens has completely failed as a head coach, especially being the guy who comes from an offensive background, and his team is a complete dumpster fire from a chemistry standpoint. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Baker

Landry

OBJ

Myles Garrett

Kitchens

They managed to assemble a good group of self-centered divas who think they can ride their god-given talent to easy wins. Very easy to dislike.

But I agree, those commercials are pretty good.

• Like (+1) 1

@elroy16 @section122 @NoHuddleKelly12  - See EDIT below, too.

"Oh well. That’s how these pre-season predictions go, and let’s face it, it’s been a cynical reflex for a while now to suggest both the Browns and Bills are teams that will always disappoint."

Just FYI, author of the article, the Bills have a winning record the last six years (48-46, including the playoff loss), are 46-37 over that span against teams not named Patriots.  In six years have had only 2 losing seasons and are now going to the playoffs for the second time in 3 years.

yeah, yeah...I know this year helps and I know we are not one of the teams of the decade, but for about the last half decade this has been a middling team at the very worst (33-32 including the playoff loss after McD's rookie year as coach, and 39-42 after the "take the lumps for the future" year of 2018), but generally they are thought of as one of the laughing stocks of the nfl, with no less than 3 prognosidiots having this team going 0-16 in anyone of the years 2016 and 2017.

...again...just gets tiresome.

EDIT:

Oh, and author, I know you like groupings, but before the ball snapped for the first time this September:

Bills since 2014 (incl. playoffs):  39-42

Browns since 2014 : 18-61-1

...yeah...they're like the same team, aren't they?!   :doh:  We only had...wait for it...wait for it...116% more victories than Cleveland over that span.

Someone please try and tell me there isn't an astigmatism about this team?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

It's sounding like the Browns players are the ones who want to "breakout" of Cleveland.

Can you blame them? They know their coach is in over his head, they have no respect for him and they know nothing is going to change with him there

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I use to feel for the Browns. I beared them no ill will. But my god have they become an unlikable bunch.

Very True.  And, the constant Baker Mayfield commercials make me gag!  Joke.

28 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Nice to be recognized but I'll tamp the brakes until we've won a playoff game...

A double-digit win season in which we clinched a playoff berth with two weeks left is plenty to keep my foot nowhere near the breaks.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Always some further obstacle, eh?

It's better than the other obstacle someone posted after game...something like "Lets see them win a playoff game and make the second playoff game close."

Gee. Hedging your bet or what? :lol:

The problem with Bills fans -- and I can't say I blame many of them -- is the whole "I've been hurt before and I just don't think my heart can take another letdown."

But you can count the fans who expected a 10- or 11-win 2019 season on the hand of a bad wood shop teacher. The problem is, instead of enjoying themselves, many need to tamp it down. 

"Let's see them win a playoff game" or "Their schedule was soft" or "None of this means anything until Josh Allen has a few 300-yard-games."

If they lose their first playoff game this year, I'm sure someone some will want to gut the front office after determining McClappy can't win in the post season.

"He's O and 2 in the post season! That's unacceptable!"

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think the difference is our owners hired real, quality football people, then got out of the way. The Browns and Jets are just ugly situations. It starts at the top. Throw in the Bengals and Redskins if you want. Big props to the Pegulas! 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think the difference is our owners hired real, quality football people, then got out of the way. The Browns and Jets are just ugly situations. It starts at the top. Throw in the Bengals and Redskins if you want. Big props to the Pegulas! 

It is possible to destroy a decent qb with bad ownership and coaching.  Mayfield  and Darnold may be victims of this. Thank god our owners,  gm and HC are exceptional. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Browns are clearly the breakdown team of the year. Can't wait to read about their off-season.

The difference between the two teams is the Head Coach...One is over his head and the other has COMPLETE control of his football team.  That is the difference between  the 6-8 and 10-4 teams.

Edited by ganesh
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Browns remind me so much of the Rex Ryan Bills. So much talent wasted. I'm not sure they will survive the offseason. I think a lot of those players will be gone before a new coach can fix the team.

They even have an overweight loudmouth coach just like Rex.

7 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

"Oh well. That’s how these pre-season predictions go, and let’s face it, it’s been a cynical reflex for a while now to suggest both the Browns and Bills are teams that will always disappoint."

Just FYI, author of the article, the Bills have a winning record the last six years (48-46, including the playoff loss), are 46-37 over that span against teams not named Patriots.  In six years have had only 2 losing seasons and are now going to the playoffs for the second time in 3 years.

yeah, yeah...I know this year helps and I know we are not one of the teams of the decade, but for about the last half decade this has been a middling team at the very worst (33-32 including the playoff loss after McD's rookie year as coach, and 39-42 after the "take the lumps for the future" year of 2018), but generally it is thought of as one of the laughing stocks, with no less than 3 prognosidiots having this team going 0-16 in anyone of the years 2016 and 2017.

...again...just gets tiresome.

Donuts, these are some heady days/rarified air we get to partake of, and at long last the national narrative can catch up to the reality on the ground that we’ve been so emotionally invested in since this past offseason—I will be dragging an old topic out of the archives when our season at last draws to a close, discussing what our expectations were coming into this season—FWIW, I pegged a 10-6 mark with a WC exit—and I am happy to report that I fully expect this team to blow past these marks. What’s funny though is how many folks here stated that 9-7 or even 8-8 would be enough of a “success” over last year provided we saw good improvements/development of our franchise QB. What a difference a year makes—from a balsa wood laughingstock to Teddy Roosevelt’s big stick! :) 
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRd6QrU_d3nTpKx4xbrc8G

• Thank you (+1) 1