How is this not PI?

Virgil

It was...league has been sending a clear message since week 1 that they are not going to overturn PI calls..no idea why coaches are still challenging them.

This is a one and done rule and will likely only be kept around for playoffs

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

It’s weird cause they overturned a non called PI in the 49ers/Cardinals against Richard Sherman, then called him for PI. First one I’ve seen overturned.

Funny how someone that has called our refs about PI got the challenge called against him.

14 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but the amount of PI calls not getting overturned and now this?  Something’s up. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28103490/texans-deandre-hopkins-need-new-deciding-pi-calls

How is this not PI?

It’s PI.  The announcers and rules consultant on the CBS broadcast were saying it’s PI.  Steratore or whoever it is they’ve got was playing Twister and doing the Limbo trying to defend how it wasn’t

25 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I’m not a conspiracy theorist, but the amount of PI calls not getting overturned and now this?  Something’s up. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28103490/texans-deandre-hopkins-need-new-deciding-pi-calls

How is this not PI?

it’s not a conspiracy. The Nfl has simply directed that short of an egregious and likely seemingly intentional act they aren’t doing it.

quite literally they are treating it as an nfc championship game rule not as an any given Sunday occurrence.

I’m on the fence with how I feel about that but it seems the reality and I’m not sure that a high threshold requires talk of conspiracy 

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Amazingly the NFL changed the rule on PI and then put the union boss in charge of reviewing his union employees - the rubber-stamping is completely predictable.  The NFL is such a backwater of a company.

under that thought why isn’t every call the same way?

i think none of them want every deep ball with contact to be challenged so they said to only give it to the worst of the worst

22 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It was...league has been sending a clear message since week 1 that they are not going to overturn PI calls..no idea why coaches are still challenging them.

Totally agree. 

Riveron has put himself in a bad place for the playoffs. If a play like that goes to review at a big moment in the playoffs whichever way he rules will be wrong.

13 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

it’s not a conspiracy. The Nfl has simply directed that short of an egregious and likely seemingly intentional act they aren’t doing it.

quite literally they are treating it as an nfc championship game rule not as an any given Sunday occurrence.

I’m on the fence with how I feel about that but it seems the reality and I’m not sure that a high threshold requires talk of conspiracy 

under that thought why isn’t every call the same way?

i think none of them want every deep ball with contact to be challenged so they said to only give it to the worst of the worst

I think the union boss happens also to be incompetent...

I see more egregious penalties missed by the dozens every week.  Not sure why this miss is causing such a stir. 

NFL needs to develop an AI of robot refs to officiate the games fairly.  But if you ask me, it ain't about fairness, because some teams are supposed to get the calls while others are not.  

Refs determine the winners as much as the teams do

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

It’s weird cause they overturned a non called PI in the 49ers/Cardinals against Richard Sherman, then called him for PI. First one I’ve seen overturned.

Thats the WTF call...  I saw the call not made in hou-bs,t which was obviously PI then they overturn a non PI call in AZ-SF

that non overturn affected the mojo in hou-calt game.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

It was the league that said it’s okay to challenge that type of play, if the zebras are protesting by breaking the rules the league set the league  needs to jerk a knot in The zebras azsez.  

I didn’t read the thread. But it’s obvious that PI won’t be called or overturned during the regular season. This review will be used exclusively to prevent playoff game(s) from being affected by an egregious non-call or blatant blown call.  So maybe we will see this type of call reversed in the playoffs.  Makes no sense to not enforce it during the regular season but someone high up has made that decision. 

3 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Corrupt officials? Corrupt Riveron? I miss those replacement refs in 2012 or what not. They woulda fine with a year or so under their belts. 

They made mistakes but at least they were calling penalties without playing favorites

This is PI in two of four scenarios

Scenario 1: Objective review of the play

Scenario 2: PI call benefits a favored franchise

This is not PI in two scenarios

Scenario 3: PI call hurts a favored franchise

Scenario 4: The ref is a moron and the League Office is covering their ass

4 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

PI easily.  Officiating needs a major overhaul.

People can keep blaming “blind officials” or they can accept the fact that the games are fixed. At some point, we all need to realize that Santa isn’t real. Does everyone really believe that a group of billionaires are going to leave things up to “chance”? ?‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Vod Kanockers said:

People can keep blaming “blind officials” or they can accept the fact that the games are fixed. At some point, we all need to realize that Santa isn’t real. Does everyone really believe that a group of billionaires are going to leave things up to “chance”? ?‍♂️

You're going off the deep end with this take.  I doubt a group of billionaires would go along with a "fixed" league where their team doesn't have a chance to win because the league and officials say so.  That said, something looks off and calls like this have to make you wonder what is going on.  IMO, it starts with Roger Goodell, who never should have got a new contract a couple of years ago.  If Roger wants Al Riveron to go, he could fire crooked Al, but he hasn't.  As far as in game officiating, full time professional refs should be employed at a minimum.

15 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

You're going off the deep end with this take.  I doubt a group of billionaires would go along with a "fixed" league where their team doesn't have a chance to win because the league and officials say so.  That said, something looks off and calls like this have to make you wonder what is going on.  IMO, it starts with Roger Goodell, who never should have got a new contract a couple of years ago.  If Roger wants Al Riveron to go, he could fire crooked Al, but he hasn't.  As far as in game officiating, full time professional refs should be employed at a minimum.

Which give is more plausible? That millions of people around the world can easily see a penalty via replay, (who aren’t full time employees either) and that 5 “professionals” fail to see it.. orrrr that they’re just being blatant now, and throwing it in our faces? ?‍♂️

Billionaires only care about one thing.. making more money. Hanging a banner in a building that cost them 100’s of millions of dollars, is a distant second.

For reference, check out how much closer the average scores of the games are since Goodell took office, compared to previous regimes. Now compare the ratings, and tv revenue dollars. 

Being an NFL owner is no different than being in a secret society such as Skull and Bones.

”Winning” is a distant 2nd place to being able to print your own money. Which is what happens when you become an NFL owner.

Edited by Vod Kanockers

10 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

It was the league that said it’s okay to challenge that type of play, if the zebras are protesting by breaking the rules the league set the league  needs to jerk a knot in The zebras azsez.  

No it was the competition committee lead by Sean Payton that created the rule and the challenge.  The League saw it as another catch rule failure - that also came out of the competition committee - and came out and stated early unless it was a play similar to the playoff game they were not going to overturn these in most cases. 

You saw the reason why in the preseason because the coaches were going to challenge every little bit of contact and it was going to make things unbearable.  Therefore from early on - the league has overturned very few of these.  

If the refs on the field are letting them play and did not call this contact all game - I have no issue with it not getting overturned.  It is clear that there is contact I would of had no issue with them throwing a flag for PI, but since they didn’t call it - I have no issue with them not overturning it.  Watching the rest of the game - they allowed pretty physical play on the outside with few calls - so that stayed right in line with the rest of the officiating.

12 hours ago, Talley56 said:

Apparently the Cardinals were called for a PI that should have actually been on the Niners (and that was a much closer game).  Seems the calls are inconsistent.

I saw that - should of been a no call, but the Cardinal DB got in the way and prevented the 49er receiver from getting to the spot.  

The DB did try to turn, but he was running/moving much slower and the WR ran up his back trying to get to the ball.  

In my opinion, the best call would have been to just let them play, but the call could go either way and been fine.  The DB cut off the WR and prevented him from his route.  The WR also increased the contact and could easily have been called himself.

No chance that got reversed....the refs are doing a "silent protest" of sorts on this, total waste of a timeout.  That challenge is really only meant to reverse the NFC championship game situation which happens about once per 100 years.

The concept of challenging uncalled penalties is a pandora's box I don't think we want.    

Edited by mattynh