PFF Ranks for Bills

Reader

Does anyone else get the ratings for the Bills players for free? I'm not sure why, I am not a paid member but if I click on roster, the player and then 2019 I am able to see what their grades are after the first game. I can't see any specifics, but the overall grade comes up. Note names are not in order and I've lumped offense and defense separately. Some interesting tidbits. Since I don't pay for PFF I don't know the breakdown of players grade. PFF claimed Allen did well last year only because of his running grade, I wonder if he did better as a passer yesterday. Two, before you all get the pitchworks, remember PFF is just a metric and they are wrong a lot. Remember, when they championed Tyrod for three years before he had a performance with the Browns that would have made EJ blush? If Josh and the offense settles down, they'll prove them wrong sooner than later. Keep in mind, we did win, but we're going to need more than 17 points to beat most teams.

Elite:

Sweeny!!!

Great:

Brown

Oliver

Edmunds

Murphy

Good:

Morse

Zay

Star

Shaq

Lorax

Horrible Harry

Poyer

White

Average:

Dawkins

Feliciano

Milano

Hyde

T. Johnson

Poor:

Allen

Singletary

Gore

Beasley

Nsekhe (Almost Average)

Ford

Spain

D. Johnson

Phillips

Neal

Wallace

Bad:

Knox (Technically slightly above bad, but at least 5 points below all other offensive players)

Hughes???

• Sad 1

Just now, Reader said:

Does anyone else get the ratings for the Bills players for free? I'm not sure why, I am not a paid member but if I click on roster, the player and then 2019 I am able to see what their grades are after the first game. I can't see any specifics, but the overall grade comes up. Note names are not in order and I've lumped offense and defense separately. Some interesting tidbits. Since I don't pay for PFF I don't know the breakdown of players grade. PFF claimed Allen did well last year only because of his running grade, I wonder if he did better as a passer yesterday. Two, before you all get the pitchworks, remember PFF is just a metric and they are wrong a lot. Remember, when they championed Tyrod for three years before he had a performance with the Browns that would have made EJ blush? If Josh and the offense settles down, they'll prove them wrong sooner than later. Keep in mind, we did win, but we're going to need more than 17 points to beat most teams.

Elite:

Sweeny!!!

Great:

Brown

Oliver

Edmunds

Murphy

Good:

Morse

Zay

Star

Shaq

Lorax

Horrible Harry

Poyer

White

Average:

Dawkins

Feliciano

Milano

Hyde

T. Johnson

Poor:

Allen

Singletary

Gore

Beasley

Nsekhe (Almost Average)

Ford

Spain

D. Johnson

Phillips

Neal

Wallace

Bad:

Knox (Technically slightly above bad, but at least 5 points below all other offensive players)

Hughes???

I was just reading a thread on jetnation saying that pff rated Darnold QB#11 @ 68,7 and Allen QB#25 @ 52,3. So that's amusing.

• Haha (+1) 1

This is so freaking hilarious how bad they're ratings are. Literally the opposite of what any rational observer saw.

Elite: Jamie Mueller, Rick Tuten, Mark Kelso

Poor: Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed

PFF Rankings of early 90s Bills

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I am too old to care about any outsider opinions. We know what we saw yesterday. A win is a win. The team did what it needed to do to obtain a "W".  Despite the success of yesterday, we all know there are things to work on and improvement is needed if success is to be sustained.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think the Singletary grade was due in part to his lackluster pass protection and other mistakes (i.e. drops and routes) in the passing game. The Milano and Hyde grades are a little surprising -- those guys looked great! Other than that everything else matches what I saw. Not sure what all the fuss is about. Go Sweeney!

Edited by VW82

Not surprised by the OL grades TBH. Yes, the ran the ball extremely infrequently, but the generated zero push. Wasn't much different than last season in that regard unfortunately. Pass Pro was decent, but moving the LOS wasn't there...at all. It's a concern.

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

I think the Singletary grade was due in part to his lackluster pass protection and other mistakes (i.e. drops and routes) in the passing game. The Milano and Hyde grades are a little surprising -- those guys looked great! Other than that everything else matches what I saw. Not sure what all the fuss is about. Go Sweeney!

sure, i agree that those execution issues yesterday knock him down from an elite performance despite the gaudy numbers and high % of targets caught etc.. but that should knock him down to “good” or the upper end of average, not “poor.”

Well these are completely pointless and a waste of time for the people who make them and the readers

5 hours ago, VW82 said:

So Wallace was also poor, Hughes bad? Ok

Be careful publishing a full list. You don't have publishing rights even if you are a member. I had a thread on here that I did top 5s and bottom 5s for the Bills on and I made sure the read their Ts and Cs very carefully before doing it because they protect their material quite diligently. 

8 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Why do any of you put ANY stock into ANYTHING that site publishes?

It's straight trash.

It is not straight trash. It is not everything either - some of what they do is more objective than other bits.

As for Singletary - just for context - his rushing grade was 77.4 - that is in the "Great" category. What brings him down is his receiving grade - 37.8. He had 6 targets - one drop and two of his receptions he bobbled before corralling the ball and he averaged just 5.6 yards per reception. Was the play where he cut back too early a reception play as well? Where he had the corner but cut back and was stopped short? I can't remember. But that might all play in. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

His run grade was in the great category. It was his receiving grade that dragged him down. 

Sort of hard to believe an objective system would drag him to poor.  I did not study the actual reasoning.  It must also ignore situational analysis. Singletary's best performance came in critical moments. 

I will say in the first half, on several plays I thought Singletary looked lost on the field. But his whole body of work for the game deserved a game ball, not a "poor" rating. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Sort of hard to believe an objective system would drag him to poor.  I did not study the actual reasoning.  It must also ignore situational analysis. Singletary's best performance came in critical moments. 

I will say in the first half, on several plays I thought Singletary looked lost on the field. But his whole body of work for the game deserved a game ball, not a "poor" rating. 

So it does ignore situational analysis as far as I know. Singletary had 6 receiving plays against 4 rushing plays. So a poor receiving grade will drag the overall down. 

There are lots of reasons why PFF grades should always be taken with a pinch of salt but when you dig beyond the headline grade there is often some decent analysis there. I say again, it is only a tool, it is never the be all and end all. 

• Like (+1) 1

Lmao:  

Zay and his 2 rec on 5 targets for 18 yards is good...

But Singletary, whose 98 yards on 7 touches in the second half that was a key piece of winning the game is poor???

That alone is worth deleting this thread entirely.  Not to mention all the other absurd ones too.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

His run grade was in the great category. It was his receiving grade that dragged him down. 

This still makes no sense.  Zay caught just 2 of 5 targets for 18 yards, including losing 2 yards on one reception.  He got a good grade.

Singletary catches 5 of his 6 targets for 28 yards to go with 70 yards on 4 carries and he gets a poor grade somehow over his receiving?  Not to mention was critical to winning the game...

This thread is worthless.  Should just delete it.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

This still makes no sense.  Zay caught just 2 of 5 targets for 18 yards, including losing 2 yards on one reception.  He got a good grade.

Singletary catches 5 of his 6 targets for 28 yards to go with 70 yards on 4 carries and he gets a poor grade somehow over his receiving?  Not to mention was critical to winning the game...

The things people feel a need to defend is baffling!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It is not worthless and there is nuance. Zay did not get a good receiving grade. His run blocking dragged his grade up (he got an elite run blocking grade from 13 run block snaps). 

Singletary caught 5 of his 6 targets but didn't break many tackle on those plays, bobbled two of the ones he caught and dropped a ball. 

Again, you have to dig deeper. 

• Like (+1) 1