OAK planning to suspend AB (edit: apologized, playing)

Reed83HOF

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I would respect the Raiders so much if they did suspend him.

...three possible scenarios IMO.....

1. Mayock wants to suspend him and Chuckie & Davis stay out of the way-Mayock earns chunk of respect as "in charge "GM"

2. Mayock wants to suspend him, but Chuckie & Davis overrule him as AB stays; Mayock stays on as GM-zero respect as a puppet GM

3. Mayock wants to suspend him, but Chuckie & Davis overrule him as AB stays; Mayock immediately resigns as GM-earns chunk of respect as principled

....just a thought.....

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, 1st&ten said:

Didn't  have time to read the whole thread so sorry if this is redundant----boo ho ho for the Raiders---too bad they signed this A-Hole---man did we dodge a bullet.

That's basically a concise synopsis of the thread.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...three possible scenarios IMO.....

1. Mayock wants to suspend him and Chuckie & Davis stay out of the way-Mayock earns chunk of respect as "in charge "GM"

2. Mayock wants to suspend him, but Chuckie & Davis overrule him as AB stays; Mayock stays on as GM-zero respect as a puppet GM

3. Mayock wants to suspend him, but Chuckie & Davis overrule him as AB stays; Mayock immediately resigns as GM-earns chunk of respect as principled

....just a thought.....

I'm unsure of how this works. Can they just suspend him for 1 game or does it have to be at least 3 or 4 or whatever? I'm assuming they can just choose the amount they like. If so I think it'll be 1 game to show they're not a total circus, then throw him in week 2 after a ***** performance by their offense week 1.

...STILL think this whole thing about McBeane's "serious interest" is overblown......could see him inquiring...BUT...the biggest stumbling block for me is seeing McDermott buying into the signing knowing this azzclown fitting the "process" would work like a size 14 foot in a size 6 shoe.......just do NOT see McD "on board", but probably wrong.....

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

BTW, remember how Tomlin was "soft" and a "people pleaser" who let players run the show?

Somehow he kept Bell and Brown pretty much quiet and happy until the past year or so. I give him credit!

Agreed, that's one hell of a management job.

2 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I'm unsure of how this works. Can they just suspend him for 1 game or does it have to be at least 3 or 4 or whatever? I'm assuming they can just choose the amount they like. If so I think it'll be 1 game to show they're not a total circus, then throw him in week 2 after a ***** performance by their offense week 1.

.....as a vested vet, if he is not on the roster for game 1, all guaranteed money is voided according to the CBA...thus the Raiders can suspend him for game 1, eliminate all guarantees ($29+ mil) and only eat his $1 mil signing bonus as well as the two picks they gave Steelers........

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

If he ends up on the Patriots that is a good thing! The only time in Brady's tenure that they DIDN'T win Super Bowls was when they decided to load up on WR and throw the ball all over the place. They won a lot of games, then lost in the SB/Playoffs and Brady got hit a LOT in the process.

Big time WRs take time to get open down field. You aren't going to throw the ball in 1.5 seconds and have AB open downfield. When you hold the ball, you WILL get hit. 42 year old skinny guys getting hit are not going to last long. 

NE change their game years ago to protect Brady. Run the ball, quick routes to smurf WRs who are always wide open, and the occasional toss it up play to Gronk, who could catch anything in his prime and was undefendable until injuries piled up. 

The thought of Brady holding the ball an extra second or two while guys run deeper routes and taking the type of hits that every other QB takes makes me smile. 

Quite apart from having to hold the ball, which I agree can be an issue, I don't know that Brady still has the arm to make the best use of AB.

42 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Im thinking the past record of teams trading for high maintenance guys and being strict vs treating them as short term sideshows that you just keep between the ditches for 18 months favors the latter approach. You baby sit him and hope he shows up on Sunday if you pick up the guy. 

if you are making the decision to get that guy - your making a decision to put up with some nonsense. At this point they are knee deep in a major commitment that’s fast unraveling. That’s not defending brown. It’s accepting reality that a GM isn’t going to suddenly change him as a human being and you knew what he was before getting him.

Employing such a person is a mistake, by making exceptions so an employee is allowed to do what Brown is doing without retribution is always a mistake, such administrative behavior creates resentment with the bulk of  ones employees, then efficiency of operations declines, and end goals are rarely achieved. It’s always about the end goals. 

...interesting....a hint???.......

Jon Gruden: We have to adapt to Antonio Brown’s absence

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 5, 2019, 4:15 PM EDT

Raiders coach Jon Gruden says that if wide receiver Antonio Brown isn’t with the team, they’ll manage.

Gruden wouldn’t say much about Brown today but did note that the Raiders’ offense already has plenty of experience working without Brown, who missed much of training camp with frostbitten feet and his helmet fiasco. Today Brown is once again away from the team after an altercation with General Manager Mike Mayock.

“We have been practicing without him and preparing to play. No matter who’s injured, you have to adapt. Unfortunately we had to adapt today, but we’re very excited about our receiving corps,” Gruden said.

Gruden wouldn’t explain precisely what happened with Brown, but hinted that the Raiders will have something to say about it soon.

“I’m not gonna get into any of that stuff right now. We’ll have an official announcement later,” Gruden said. “I’m not going to get into all of it. Obviously he wasn’t here to day. When we have some information for you, we’ll get it to you.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/05/jon-gruden-we-have-to-adapt-to-antonio-browns-absence/#comments

25 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

wickedness lies in the eyes of the beholder

Wickedness is only celebrated by the wicked.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I have a different theory. It's the social media illness. It's made attention whores out of all sorts of people. Regular people with regular jobs who can't stop posting vague updates about being 'fed up' with no other explanation, just waiting for all those 'what's wrong?' messages to come flooding in. Brown is very heavy on social media and I think he's just become addicted to seeing all the views and comments his antics generate. If he wasn't famous he'd be busy on Facebook (or one of these message boards) trolling people and then sitting back and getting a hardon at the flood of replies

That’s a good possibility.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...interesting....a hint???.......

Jon Gruden: We have to adapt to Antonio Brown’s absence

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 5, 2019, 4:15 PM EDT

Raiders coach Jon Gruden says that if wide receiver Antonio Brown isn’t with the team, they’ll manage.

Gruden wouldn’t say much about Brown today but did note that the Raiders’ offense already has plenty of experience working without Brown, who missed much of training camp with frostbitten feet and his helmet fiasco. Today Brown is once again away from the team after an altercation with General Manager Mike Mayock.

“We have been practicing without him and preparing to play. No matter who’s injured, you have to adapt. Unfortunately we had to adapt today, but we’re very excited about our receiving corps,” Gruden said.

Gruden wouldn’t explain precisely what happened with Brown, but hinted that the Raiders will have something to say about it soon.

“I’m not gonna get into any of that stuff right now. We’ll have an official announcement later,” Gruden said. “I’m not going to get into all of it. Obviously he wasn’t here to day. When we have some information for you, we’ll get it to you.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/05/jon-gruden-we-have-to-adapt-to-antonio-browns-absence/#comments

This whole situation reminds me of Kim Kardashian's first marriage :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Employing such a person is a mistake, by making exceptions so an employee is allowed to do what Brown is doing without retribution is always a mistake, such administrative behavior creates resentment with the bulk of  ones employees, then efficiency of operations declines, and end goals are rarely achieved. It’s always about the end goals. 

They already decided to employ him and commit heavily to two seasons with him. 

Once youve made that decision you have to figure out how to maximize. I’m sorry but few of our day to day jobs come with an office that shares a guy getting $30m guaranteed so I don’t think standard issue HR stuff translates apples to apples. 

But if your top sales person brought in ten times the second best and the majority of your revenue he probably gets to make his own hours. Especially if you hired him from the competition for a huge contract knowing he came in late and liked to golf on Friday afternoon. If you want to write him up for that and withhold commissions you probably shouldn’t have brought him on in the first place 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

If he ends up on the Patriots that is a good thing! The only time in Brady's tenure that they DIDN'T win Super Bowls was when they decided to load up on WR and throw the ball all over the place. They won a lot of games, then lost in the SB/Playoffs and Brady got hit a LOT in the process.

Big time WRs take time to get open down field. You aren't going to throw the ball in 1.5 seconds and have AB open downfield. When you hold the ball, you WILL get hit. 42 year old skinny guys getting hit are not going to last long. 

NE change their game years ago to protect Brady. Run the ball, quick routes to smurf WRs who are always wide open, and the occasional toss it up play to Gronk, who could catch anything in his prime and was undefendable until injuries piled up. 

The thought of Brady holding the ball an extra second or two while guys run deeper routes and taking the type of hits that every other QB takes makes me smile. 

...can't see Belichick getting involved with this head case....sure he has tried others.......and now with the threats of violence against Mayock, I'm sure The Commish will be involved shortly and is in a "great mood (COUGH)" after HelmetGate.......Rog and Kraft are hardly "best buddies" if a league suspension for personal conduct is in the offing.....

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

This whole situation reminds me of Kim Kardashian's first marriage :lol:

...LMAO.....bad, BAD boy.........and I just wet myself, ruining my Depends....dammit.......:thumbsup:........

• Haha (+1) 1

Apologies if this was linked and I missed it....AB's actual contract per PFT

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/05/antonio-brown-may-end-up-getting-no-payment-at-all-from-the-raiders/

Key points:

PFT has obtained an analyzed a full copy of the contract. The $1 million signing bonus contained in the deal actually took the form of a pair of guaranteed $500,000 workout bonuses for 2019 and 2020. The 2019 payment nevertheless hinged upon Brown participating in at least 85 percent of the 2019 offseaon program.

Per a league source, NFLPA records reveal that he did not earn the $500,000, which means that he failed to participate in at least 85 percent of the offseason program. Thus, to date, Brown has gotten no payment from the Raiders under the contract.

Here’s the language from the contract, as to each guaranteed payment: “Notwithstanding this Skill, Injury, and Cap Guarantee, Player shall report to Club, practice with Club, play with Club, and honor all terms of the Contract, including all addenda thereto. If at any time player does not report to Club; does not practice or play with Club; leaves Club without prior written approval (including, but not limited to, retirement); does not honor any terms of the Contract (including any addenda thereto); is suspended by the NFL or Club for conduct detrimental, violation of the NFL Personal Conduct Policy, violation of agreements between Club and Player . . . then player shall be in default . . . and the Skill, Injury, and Cap guarantee shall be null and void and Player shall only be eligible to earn his remaining stated Paragraph 5 salary on a weekly, non-guaranteed basis.”

So basically, OAK covered their bets with regard to AB in writing him that big contract...and even if they don't suspend him, he may have already voided his guarantees by not reporting or practicing with the club.  Certainly if they suspend him....he's gonna be down to getting his paycheck week by week (or not).  And OAK can cut him without taking a big cap hit.

Wow.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

They already decided to employ him and commit heavily to two seasons with him. 

Once youve made that decision you have to figure out how to maximize. I’m sorry but few of our day to day jobs come with an office that shares a guy getting $30m guaranteed so I don’t think standard issue HR stuff translates apples to apples. 

But if your top sales person brought in ten times the second best and the majority of your revenue he probably gets to make his own hours. Especially if you hired him from the competition for a huge contract knowing he came in late and liked to golf on Friday afternoon. If you want to write him up for that and withhold commissions you probably shouldn’t have brought him on in the first place 

That would be true if AB was 10 times the receiver than the next best on the team.

Except AB stats are not even twice of Tyrell Williams in the past 3 years.

That's were the decision has to be made.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, DRA3196 said:

I am not certain what the circumstances were that led Beane to NOT sign AB....But THANK GOD!!! I have always respected his work ethic, but never liked his attitude. And he NEVER seemed like a fit for Buffalo.

How do you know about his work ethic? There have been many reports that he missed team meetings,  late for practice....skipping practice....

Just now, nucci said:

How do you know about his work ethic? There have been many reports that he missed team meetings,  late for practice....skipping practice....

His work ethic obviously went out the door when he suckered Oakland. What's gonna be interesting is how he's gonna react when other teams turn him down flat if he does get cut

You gotta wonder whether Mayock mishandled this. You’re dealing with a real problem player and you finally got him back to a somewhat stable state to start the season. And now is the time you send him a letter with the chump change of fines? 

He had to have known this letter would possibly set off AB. Bad timing. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, buffalo2218 said:

His work ethic obviously went out the door when he suckered Oakland. What's gonna be interesting is how he's gonna react when other teams turn him down flat if he does get cut

He had same issues in Pit...they just let him get away with it