OAK planning to suspend AB (edit: apologized, playing)

Reed83HOF

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

What are you saying about the posters here who called onto the show?  Shame. Shame. Shame.

I wont name names, but the first person who made it on air after the Pegulas announced they were buying the team and that it would stay in Buffalo was from this board. And it was one of the most embarrassing calls I've ever heard. They ended up hanging up on him and calling him stupid.

So yeah, I stand by my post.

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ok this is my last comment because you guys care a heck of a lot more about this than I do, but got like 30 replies. ???

You and the others are completely missing the point.  I didn’t say not to hold him responsible, I said how he handled the relationship with AB.  You guys can’t seem to separate the difference in holding someone accountable and how you go about holding someone accountable.  

I have literally explained my reasoning at least 10 times now and everyone keeps replying with the same comments that aren’t even what I am saying.

Mayock took a hard line stance with a diva player.  Never going to work with a guy like Brown.  AB doesn’t respond well if he doesn’t feel like he can trust someone like Mayock or if he feels disrespected.  As a GM, you have to understand that and taking those comments in August to the media was a big mistake by Mayock.  He shound have kept it private and talked to AB man to man only.  He could have sat AB down man to man and discussed their stance in the fines instead of sending him a letter too.

It’s  just my opinion, but I called this when Mayock made those comments in august that he was going to lose the trust of AB and something small was gonna set up a blowout.  

And I honestly don’t care at all about the Raiders, AB, etc.  But also just trying to respect posters here and respond but now it’s too much to keep up with.  My simple opinion is that Mayock handled AB poorly and while AB is obviously to blame, Mayock also hasn’t helped the situation and contributed to turbulent relationship with AB.

And, why is it only Mayock has a bad relationship with AB?  I mean no one else on the Raiders has this bad relationship with him.  All his coaches and trainers seem to love him and players have all seem to have taken to him too.

Spin, spin, spin, someone’s getting dizzy..  

1 hour ago, Figster said:

I understand,

I just think the situation should have been handled behind closed doors.

I’m not sure how that’s on mayock though since AB was the one to attack him in public during practice after publically sharing the letter on social media ...

Edited by YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

As someone who isn't local, I've never listened to this Schopp creature (not that it sounds like like I'm missing anything), but he sounds like a douche and an idiot. 

Also, are we sure he isn't posting here? 

Do yourself a favor and don't ever listen.

Edited by Johnnycage46

Schopp’s outright arrogance is the only thing that exceeds these ridiculous takes he comes up with. YE OLE liked listening to Schopp years ago, but he obviously decided at some point that this is his schtick and it’s extremely hard to listen to.

As for AB... it’s entirely possible this guy never plays another down of football anywhere.

Edited by Cotton Fitzsimmons

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

I’d advise any team picking up a guy like brown not to take a super hard line stance on things. You got who your getting and you deal with the antics. Getting into a faceoff with a crazy man certainly doesn’t max his value.

I’m thinking this is not you do that for a living, right?

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Man, this whole thing makes me sad. Antonio Brown wasn't handed anything in life. At one point he was homeless as a teenager. He was unheralded coming out of college and was drafted in the 6th round. Where did this ego come from?

Most likely the people who he surrounded himself with in Pittsburgh.  AB was probably put on a pedi stool and believed the hype.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I already know how this one ends:

Raiders suspend AB for conduct detrimental to the team. His $30million in guarantees are voided. The Raiders cut him outright and admit defeat on the trade. The Patriots sign him and -- suddenly, realizing this is his last chance and his best shot to win a Super Bowl -- he shapes up and acts like a consummate professional. The Patriots offense with Brown on one side and Gordon on the other and Edelman in the slot becomes unstoppable, the Patriots go to their 4th straight Super Bowl and win their 7th ring.

So it is written, and so it shall be.

Yeah it's not good news in any way for the Bills that this is happening.

I remember back in the day when this board loved to mock Randy Moss and the Vikings and Raiders for drafting and/trading for him.

I also remember he and the Patriots scoring 8 straight TD's in a night game at Buffalo and the Pats going 16-0 after they traded a ham sandwich for him.:lol:

AB is a great,  game changing football player...........it was better that he was in Gruden's sh*t show rather than on some contender singing for his supper on a non-guaranteed deal.

• Like (+1) 4

There are conflicting reports about how hard the Bills/Beane actually went after Antonio Brown.

Some say we just did our due-diligence and checked on the price tag.  Others say a deal was almost done, and Brown himself nixed it.

Either way... I am so happy we avoided this headache.

NFL history has shown it over... and over... and over.  Success is about the "sum of the parts" more than individual star-power.

Coaches will deal with off-field problems, legal troubles, and even a lack of talent.  But nobody wants to deal with a selfish "me first" guy who causes distractions in the locker room.  

4 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Most likely the people who he surrounded himself with in Pittsburgh.  AB was probably put on a pedi stool and believed the hype.

Nah, if he was put on a "pedi stool" his feet wouldn't be in the shape they were in. 

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

God this guy is such a :censored: child

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, eball said:

What "this board" does is compare Beane to what came before him -- 20 years of s-h-i-t.  You're blaming him for Davis and Boldin?  Jesus.  Beane's job is to find players who might fit Buffalo's culture and help them win.  If they get here and don't fit (for whatever reason) that's not on Beane, it's on the player.  Maybe Davis and Boldin, seeing for themselves it was going to be a long season in Buffalo, decided as aging veterans they didn't want to lay their bodies on the line for results that would come a year or more later.

As for the AB situation?  Beane looked at a roster void of superstar WR talent and made inquiries about AB.  That was stupid?  You have chosen to believe the narrative that Beane was begging AB to come to Buffalo and was rejected.  Not only is that explanation improbable, it goes against everything we've seen and heard from McD and Beane since they arrived.  What should we believe -- that on this one occasion Beane suddenly decided to act completely out of character?  You're the one going out of your way to place blame.

The most reasonable and plausible explanation is that Beane and the Steelers spoke in generalities about the possible terms of a trade.  The discussions got far enough along where it became necessary to gauge what AB's contract demands were going to be.  Did the discussions end because AB told Rosenhaus there's no way he would come to Buffalo?  Of course not; they ended because AB's price was not something Beane wanted to pay.  The very reason Beane didn't agree to AB's price is because he was looking at the locker room culture and decided (accurately) that it wasn't worth it.  No "football people" are laughing at Buffalo and Brandon Beane, I assure you.  I couldn't care less what the "click here" media types and ignorant fans think and say.  As we have seen, it's foolhardy to take anything that comes out of AB's mouth seriously -- but YOU are going to believe it when AB says he laughed at coming to Buffalo.  Riiiiiiiight.  Are you willing to go on the record right here and now that you find AB to have more credibility and integrity than Beane?  Surely you aren't believing AB's agent, Drew Rosenhaus?  Because why would Rosenhaus ever say anything to paint his client in the best light?  Rosenhaus' comments about the helmet situation were a joke as well.

If you simply stopped for one second to look at the whole picture of what McD and Beane have done since they arrived, you might find you've missed out on enjoying a process that appears to be primed for sustained success while instead you've been busy "protecting" yourself from disappointment.

Related to Beane - Point is the AB situation is not an example of "Thank God we have Beane". Beane did not save us from having AB. Whaley or whoever before him would not have gotten AB. Whatever other spin people want to make on it to push a Beane is great agenda is absurd. We tried to get the guy and didnt - no credit due for that. Its a reach but IMO but if anything the fact we even tried to get him shows we were not the prophetic genius people try to imply. 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ok this is my last comment because you guys care a heck of a lot more about this than I do, but got like 30 replies. ???

You and the others are completely missing the point.  I didn’t say not to hold him responsible, I said how he handled the relationship with AB.  You guys can’t seem to separate the difference in holding someone accountable and how you go about holding someone accountable.  

I have literally explained my reasoning at least 10 times now and everyone keeps replying with the same comments that aren’t even what I am saying.

Mayock took a hard line stance with a diva player.  Never going to work with a guy like Brown.  AB doesn’t respond well if he doesn’t feel like he can trust someone like Mayock or if he feels disrespected.  As a GM, you have to understand that and taking those comments in August to the media was a big mistake by Mayock.  He shound have kept it private and talked to AB man to man only.  He could have sat AB down man to man and discussed their stance in the fines instead of sending him a letter too.

I understand your point to a degree.  At the bottom line, though, it's a business, and in a business at the end if it's not in writing, it didn't happen.  So even if Mayock and AB did sit down and discuss face to face, Mayock did (IMO, from a business/legal POV) put the fines in writing. 

Did he have to make the public call-out over the helmet?  Yes and no...it's part of the GM's job to represent the team to the public, and the public most definitely wanted to know what the team's stance was and what the team was doing over the helmet.  He could have worded it differently, I think.

My personal viewpoint is that I think AB has become someone with whom one does not have discussions...I think he was accustomed to screaming at Steelers coaches and players and having it pass unremarked, and possibly to other "special" treatment such as being forgiven fines for missing this and that.  I think it's a fairly good bet that if Mayock did try to sit down and discuss 1:1 with AB, either Brown blew him off and wouldn't do it, or the discussion consisted of Brown screaming at Mayock.  But that's just my personal viewpoint and the only evidence I have for it is other flaky Brown behavior and the episodes described by a former Steelers player (linked above).