OAK planning to suspend AB (edit: apologized, playing)

Reed83HOF

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Well, the league isn't going to suspend him.  The team can suspend him which voids all of guarantees anyway, leave him suspended for the season and pay him no money while preventing him from playing for anyone else either.  If you;re trying to set a tone I think that might be the way you go.  Releasing him doesn't do it, it just shows players how to get out if they want out.  AB will get signed somewhere else whether or not it's smart.  He won't get a big contract this year but he will end up somewhere, put up big numbers and if he can behave like a reasonable person someone will give him money in the off-season.   

I know they won't but it should really be the NFL that is showing players that it's not acceptable and not the Raiders.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

he's lead the NFL in receptions, yards, or TDs in 4 of the last 5 seasons.  In terms of putting up numbers and consistency, it's not even a debate; he's been the best.

If only those stats would make him show up for practice, and wear the right helmet, and not hold an embarrassing public feud with the GM paying him 10s of millions of dollars. If only those stats would keep him from getting suspended on opening day. 

Why, he'd be as right as rain.

His best ability is his availability and his availability is, once again, in question. He may have been the best stastically, but he's a white hot clusterphuck of a Kim Kardashian/Dennis Rodman love child, and no stats in the world make that worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

And that's what I expect them to do. You can bet this, either AB or Mayock will be gone in a relatively short period of time. This is assuming that AB doesn't turn into a model citizen of course, which there is no way in 10 frozen hell's this would ever happen. 

All I know is he deserves everything hes going to get. Hes going to get suspended.   Is going to get cut. And he's. going to lose out on 30 million dollars.  When are these divas ever going to learn? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

A couple thoughts:

1. Rashard Mendenhall might be right, but nobody wants to hear that right now.

2. If the Raiders release AB he won't be unemployed beyond week 2.

I would like to say before we get off track of the Raiders' implosion that this is for PPP discussion only. Thank you. :thumbsup:

41 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Never got into money bc AB said no way I am going there...

Wrong.  All you need to hear is "this is what AB wants" and then there's no more talk.  And it's not like he had many suitors and took the only other team interested in him.  And we see how that's turning out.

4 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

A couple thoughts:

1. Rashard Mendenhall might be right, but nobody wants to hear that right now.

2. If the Raiders release AB he won't be unemployed beyond week 2.

3.  His next contract will be a drop in the bucket compared to the one he just pissed away by threatening the GM. 

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

All I know is he deserves everything hes going to get. Hes going to get suspended.   Is going to get cut. And he's. going to lose out on 30 million dollars.  When are these divas ever going to learn? 

He is by far the worst I have ever seen which is why I TRULY suspect some kind of mental disorder. He's worse than TO, worse than OBJ, worse than anyone I can think of in recent memory. I have never seen a one man s*** show like AB ever in my life. 

1 minute ago, HOUSE said:

Can somebody translate this....I am lost??

"When your own team want to hate but there's no stopping me now devil is a lie. Everyone got to pay this year so we clear."

They are taking my money for absolutely no good reason at all. Satan is not real. Everyone is going to feel my wrath this year....... Starting with that 61 year old at practice.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Would you have preferred "excuse" ?

Got a link for that?

In fact, I have, over and over, pointed out that he quit on his team (I wrote that months ago) in Pittsburgh.  I argued that (and not some nonsense regarding Poyer and his wife---people here were actually citing this) would be the reason that Beane wouldn't consider him for the Bills (turns out that didn't bother Beane enough either).

I also said that, before he got to the Raiders, he had have to give a "douchebag discount" to his next team because of his behavior.

You really don't know what you are talking about, Chief.

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

Not to bog this down or bury myself in people calling me all sorts of names, but the US played a pretty big role in making Bin Laden a thing, then they dicked him and the rest of Afghanistan over pretty hard and a lot of people who we told were our allies suffered for it (that's not the first or last time that has happened either) It's not like he came out of the blue. And before someone goes off, there is a GIGANTIC difference between attempting to understand how certain events came about and excusing those events.

Dancing on a grave is bad form no matter who it belongs to. 

Regardless of the context, the man deserved to die. He died. It was justice and well done. I agree that it shouldn't be celebrated. 

Just now, That's No Moon said:

The one referring to the drama being trauma related.  That's entirely possible but nobody wants to have that conversation.

There have been several comments on here with people mentioning that he seems to have serious issues- some as jokes, but I think some sincerely as well. I think it definitely factors in to the conversation- there seems to (from the external perspective) be some marbles missing. I hope he either gets help if he needs it, or removes his head from his ass if he's doing this intentionally.

54 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Well, the league isn't going to suspend him.  The team can suspend him which voids all of guarantees anyway, leave him suspended for the season and pay him no money while preventing him from playing for anyone else either.  If you;re trying to set a tone I think that might be the way you go.  Releasing him doesn't do it, it just shows players how to get out if they want out.  AB will get signed somewhere else whether or not it's smart.  He won't get a big contract this year but he will end up somewhere, put up big numbers and if he can behave like a reasonable person someone will give him money in the off-season.   

I do not think that is an option.  I believe from the old TO/Dallas issues - the team can only suspend him for a maximum of 4 games for conduct detrimental to the team.  Then they have to move on in another way or wait for him to mess up again for additional punishment.

The league on the other hand - based on conduct (threats made) have a 6 games or longer option, but I doubt they use it.

The suspension of the first game is the big one though in that one game can void almost all of his guarantees and his yearly salary and therefore make it possible to cut him and not be financially hamstrung.

We will see how it plays out, but I am guessing they will suspend him and if AB puts up a fit (as we all suspect) they will work with the league on an option to be done with the contract.  My guess is a court date/arbitration hearing to determine the exact amount needed to shred things and a “suspension” until everything is agreed to.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, QCity said:

Hard Knocks crew left a few days too early.

I thought Hard Knocks would be great this year. I really enjoyed the Browns last year. Gruden, Brown, Incognito etc. Great TV if nothing else, I thought. Jesus what a snooze fest it was. I turned episodes 3, 4 and 5 off early because nothing seemed to be happening, just Gruden talking like someone with alzheimers and then yelling for them to knock on wood. When he was asking them which colleges the various players they were watching in episode 5 had played the camera showed his players looking either bored to tears or falling asleep. 

43 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

That would cost the Raiders $30M, suspend him cost less than $1M..cash poor team..which way yu think they will proceed?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/05/antonio-brown-may-have-a-problem-under-the-personal-conduct-policy/

Antonio Brown may have a problem under the Personal Conduct Policy

If NFL Media’s report that Raiders receiver Antonio Brown threatened to punch Raiders G.M. Mike Mayock in the face is accurate, Brown may have a problem separate and apart from his potential team-issued suspension.

Brown could be facing discipline under the league’s Personal Conduct Policy.

The Personal Conduct Policy expressly prohibits, among other things, “[v]iolent or threatening behavior toward another employee or a third party in any workplace.” Brown’s alleged conduct presumably would fall within the boundaries of that specific portion of the rule.

The broader question becomes whether the precise wording of Brown’s suspension from the team, if he’s suspended at all, covers the threatened punch. If he isn’t suspended for threatening Mayock but for something else — of it the team doesn’t suspend Brown at all — the league still can.

Given that the league is likely still miffed at the turmoil caused by Brown’s multiple helmet grievances, the league possibly won’t be inclined to show him lenience on this one. Regardless of how it plays out, it’s another angle to watch as this latest chapter in As The Antonio Turns unfolds.

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If he ends up on the Patriots that is a good thing! The only time in Brady's tenure that they DIDN'T win Super Bowls was when they decided to load up on WR and throw the ball all over the place. They won a lot of games, then lost in the SB/Playoffs and Brady got hit a LOT in the process.

Big time WRs take time to get open down field. You aren't going to throw the ball in 1.5 seconds and have AB open downfield. When you hold the ball, you WILL get hit. 42 year old skinny guys getting hit are not going to last long. 

NE change their game years ago to protect Brady. Run the ball, quick routes to smurf WRs who are always wide open, and the occasional toss it up play to Gronk, who could catch anything in his prime and was undefendable until injuries piled up. 

The thought of Brady holding the ball an extra second or two while guys run deeper routes and taking the type of hits that every other QB takes makes me smile. 

3 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

There have been several comments on here with people mentioning that he seems to have serious issues- some as jokes, but I think some sincerely as well. I think it definitely factors in to the conversation- there seems to (from the external perspective) be some marbles missing. I hope he either gets help if he needs it, or removes his head from his ass if he's doing this intentionally.

I have a different theory. It's the social media illness. It's made attention whores out of all sorts of people. Regular people with regular jobs who can't stop posting vague updates about being 'fed up' with no other explanation, just waiting for all those 'what's wrong?' messages to come flooding in. Brown is very heavy on social media and I think he's just become addicted to seeing all the views and comments his antics generate. If he wasn't famous he'd be busy on Facebook (or one of these message boards) trolling people and then sitting back and getting a hardon at the flood of replies

• Like (+1) 4

50 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Related to Beane - Point is the AB situation is not an example of "Thank God we have Beane". Beane did not save us from having AB. Whaley or whoever before him would not have gotten AB. Whatever other spin people want to make on it to push a Beane is great agenda is absurd. We tried to get the guy and didnt - no credit due for that. Its a reach but IMO but if anything the fact we even tried to get him shows we were not the prophetic genius people try to imply. 

Thank God we have Beane as GM and ge did not pursue AB at all costs? 

Thank God we have Beand as a GM who would at least consider adding an elite talent at a position of need as opposed to dismissing it out of hand? 

For all we know, the culture of the team and quality of the coaches in WNY might have impacted AB to the positive. 

Then again maybe he would have lost it and taken hostages on the Peace Bridge.