OAK planning to suspend AB (edit: apologized, playing)

Reed83HOF

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

That would cost the Raiders $30M, suspend him cost less than $1M..cash poor team..which way yu think they will proceed?

Not true, his contract can be voided in certain situations.

This may be one of them, the Raiders could potentially get out of this deal unscathed.

5 minutes ago, wppete said:

What are the odds they just release AB? I would if I was management. Get rid of this headcase. 

Worst move right now. Suspend him and get all the Guaranteed money back first. Drag that into the season. Then cut him so there is $0 cap hit AND he has to find a team mid-season or sit out a year.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Plano said:

This may be one of them, the Raiders could potentially get out of this deal unscathed.

correct, if they suspend him first i believe for conduct detrimental, that voids the guarantess, then they can release..I THINK( stress think) that is how it works

Just now, Plano said:

The threatened punch to Mayock could be there golden ticket.

I really hope no other team picks him up.  If Kap can be black listed, AB should be too.  He physically threatened his employer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

The threatened punch to Mayock could be there golden ticket.

I really hope no other team picks him up.  If Kap can be black listed, AB should be too.  He physically threatened his employer.

But, and its a big but..if his punt was any good can he not cover two positions of need for the Bills right now?

4 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

NFL history has shown it over... and over... and over.  Success is about the "sum of the parts" more than individual star-power.

So not true.

Consistent success in the NFL begins with a superstar QB.

The closest thing to what you are talking about are the Patriots but they have the greatest QB ever and the greatest HC ever.

Everybody else operates under the normal rules.

And all of the favorites this year.........as usual........are star studded teams.

Teams need to play well together but also have star players because it's a matchup league and difference makers MAKE THE DIFFERENCE.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

I suppose if you suspend him you could wait a bit and decide if you’re gonna cut him...

And that's what I expect them to do. You can bet this, either AB or Mayock will be gone in a relatively short period of time. This is assuming that AB doesn't turn into a model citizen of course, which there is no way in 10 frozen hell's this would ever happen. 

First thing I'd do is try to find any team with an overpaid wideout and try to trade AB straight up for the player.    The Chiefs, Bengals, Redskins, 49ers, and Bills are the only teams who could legitimately afford AB at his current price.   See if KC or Cinci will take him on for Watkins or A.J. Green straight up.

If that doesnt work, I'd be making sure to see if I could find a way to void the contract given his bs.   The only other option they have is to keep him.   They cant eat the dead cap.

18 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I’m thinking this is not you do that for a living, right?

Im thinking the past record of teams trading for high maintenance guys and being strict vs treating them as short term sideshows that you just keep between the ditches for 18 months favors the latter approach. You baby sit him and hope he shows up on Sunday if you pick up the guy. 

if you are making the decision to get that guy - your making a decision to put up with some nonsense. At this point they are knee deep in a major commitment that’s fast unraveling. That’s not defending brown. It’s accepting reality that a GM isn’t going to suddenly change him as a human being and you knew what he was before getting him.

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Honestly hope the team suspends him, void his contract and then the NFL suspends him for the season. 

Well, the league isn't going to suspend him.  The team can suspend him which voids all of guarantees anyway, leave him suspended for the season and pay him no money while preventing him from playing for anyone else either.  If you;re trying to set a tone I think that might be the way you go.  Releasing him doesn't do it, it just shows players how to get out if they want out.  AB will get signed somewhere else whether or not it's smart.  He won't get a big contract this year but he will end up somewhere, put up big numbers and if he can behave like a reasonable person someone will give him money in the off-season.   

19 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Related to Beane - Point is the AB situation is not an example of "Thank God we have Beane". Beane did not save us from having AB. Whaley or whoever before him would not have gotten AB. Whatever other spin people want to make on it to push a Beane is great agenda is absurd. We tried to get the guy and didnt - no credit due for that. Its a reach but IMO but if anything the fact we even tried to get him shows we were not the prophetic genius people try to imply. 

Understood -- I don't think Beane should be praised for backing out of the AB sweepstakes for any reason other than the price was too high.  It would appear that few know/knew how much of a nut case this guy would be.