YoloinOhio

Eric Wood is the new Bills color analyst - will replace Kelso

27 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

a lot of people’s “wood” is never quite the same after... oh nevermind

Yes- that is exactly where I was going with that one

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

oh damn.  Kelso was awesome. 

Yeah I love Wood but I thought Kelso really knew his stuff.  

Kelso is involved in NASCAR or something like that, right? Probably didn't want to divide his attention anymore.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Just said on WGR

That sux Kelso is really knowledgeable, cant he replace tasker on One Bills Live ? I like Eric though hope it works , time to bring in Kyle also.

56 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Who cares.  Once the blackout rule was lifted, the radio team became irrelevant...and if you have ever listened to Murphy...that was a good thing.  

I haven't listened to a Bills radio broadcast since '70s with Van, Stan  and Rife

Did not like Kelso.  I felt like that, If you never played organized football, he used terms that made it hard to understand.  Tasker should be dragged behind a car by a chain. Murph should take some medicine for that chronic bronchitis.     Can't wait for Fitz to retire.  He will be legendary in the booth.

2 minutes ago, Irv said:

Did not like Kelso.  I felt like that, If you never played organized football, he used terms that made it hard to understand.  Tasker should be dragged behind a car by a chain. Murph should take some medicine for that chronic bronchitis.     Can't wait for Fitz to retire.  He will be legendary in the booth.

Awfully violent.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Awfully violent.

Agreed.  He's so terrible, I lost it there for a minute and went overboard.  Instead, he should be given a swirly.  No.  Make that 2 swirlies, 4 noogies, 7 purple nurples, and then banned from broadcasting. 

40 minutes ago, MJS said:

Kelso is involved in NASCAR or something like that, right? Probably didn't want to divide his attention anymore.

Operations Manager for JTG Daugherty Racing. One of the owners is Kelso's/Kazoo's college roommate. One of the other owners former NBA player Brady Daugherty.   

Edited by Irv

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

oh damn.  Kelso was awesome. 

Hopefully Wood will stay at the same level as Kelso in his evaluation of the on field happenings & not go in the opposite direction like his new cohort did when Van decided to retire just sayin 😕

Edited by T master

Posted (edited)

Substance over style argument here and they are appealing to their demographics.  

Kelso/Tasker were A+ on the substance but ok on the style.  

Wood probably has the style and they hope he has the substance.  

Wood is like the goofy uncle at the barbecue, regaling you of always funny stories.   He might shave, might not.  Wears Nike slides year round.    

Kelso/Tasker are like dad's former service friends who haven't laughed out loud since that time in Panama.....during the invasion.  

Edited by dpberr
  • Haha (+1) 2

Is there a NASCAR team somewhere that Murphy can join? That overly excited loud mouth of his would be easy to hear over any racing engine.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is the first time I plan on listening to the radio broadcast while I watch. Does anyone know if there is a delay if you do it this way? 

I’ve tried this before, didn’t work out, I’m in NYC so many times bars will have the game but no sound, tried wearing headphones but the radio broadcast was a solid 1 minute behind. Could be different if you’re in the buffalo area?

Posted (edited)

This is interesting news.

Mark Kelso was outstanding at his job as color analyst and I have no idea why he is not in coaching.  He sees things most analysts don't and explain them to the viewer/listener.

Having listened to Eric Wood talk a lot on his weekly GR-55 spots, there is no doubt he is quite intelligent and well spoken, way beyond the norm for a pro football player.  I think he'll be good, but I question if he truly understands the X and O side of the game on both sides of the ball the way Kelso did.

Kelso's old job of free safety set him up well for his color analyst gig; but Eric at center is not bad either.

I wonder if Kelso decided he didn't want to do it anymore.  I can't imagine he was replaced out of a desire to improve the position.

EDIT:  So Kelso wants to spend more time doing NASCAR stuff huh?  I'm glad he left on his own terms, though I'll miss him.  

Edited by Nextmanup

Posted (edited)

Agree with the "will miss Kelso" sentiment, I liked him and loved hearing stories about the glory days. His frothing at the mouth last year, exhorting the Bills to clear the benches was legendary. But I would also like an offensive player's take; will be interesting to hear Wood's (possibly) critique/analyze our current line and QB's progression.

Wood is a "modern" player and will (hopefully) share some insight about the current regime considering he was at ground zero for "PROCESS: YEAR ONE". And Beane/McDermott obviously liked him enough to give him an extension almost immediately, bizarre non-retirement retirement press conference notwithstanding.

Edited by technobot

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah I’m bummed he’s leaving. But happy E. Wood is here.

wonder if he chose to leave or what? 

they never touched on that...at least so far. i loved kelso . he was a wealth of knowledge in between plays. i hope eric can live up to that. pretty big shoes to fill imo.

my biggest question is how animated he will be....or boring, dry and obvious.  hope all goes well because when we get those awful generic national guys, i'd rather listen with the telly turned down.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is the first time I plan on listening to the radio broadcast while I watch. Does anyone know if there is a delay if you do it this way? 

It depends on where you are & what broadcast you're watching.  If you're in Buffalo, WGR tries to synch up with the TV broadcast.  The last time I brought a radio to the stadium, WWKB had the live call that you can listen to which is ahead of the TV broadcast.  

When I'm home in Albany the TV is ahead of the Bills internet broadcast.  We don't have a radio station anymore in Albany.  The last time we did, the over the air broadcast was ahead of the TV, especially when watching a satellite feed at a bar.  I used to go to sportsbars & know the play before it was on TV by listening to the radio.  Nowadays I don't mix the TV & radio audios.  At home I just listen to the TV & I now go to OTB where I get my own booth with a TV so I just listen to the TV broadcast.  

Hopefully he will be more colorful than he was announcing our 2nd round pick

2 hours ago, BillsSbSoon said:

Damn thats a bit of a bummer. Kelso was really good.

Yeah, I like Kelso a lot.

Wood is smart, though. Maybe he'll be as good.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It depends on where you are & what broadcast you're watching.  If you're in Buffalo, WGR tries to synch up with the TV broadcast. 

I didn’t know that.  Is that a recent thing?  I’ll have to try it out this fall.  Some of the CBS (and Fox) crews are pretty bad.

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Was just coming to post this.

Pretty cool! 

Very happy E. Wood is back in the Bills organization! 

Plus We can fully put to bed that there were any hard feeling over his whole retirement press conference debacle.

Is this really still a thing??

1 hour ago, technobot said:

Agree with the "will miss Kelso" sentiment, I liked him and loved hearing stories about the glory days. His frothing at the mouth last year, exhorting the Bills to clear the benches was legendary. But I would also like an offensive player's take; will be interesting to hear Woods (possibly) critique/analyze our current line and QB's progression.

Woods is a "modern" player and will (hopefully) share some insight about the current regime considering he was at ground zero for "PROCESS: YEAR ONE". And Beane/McDermott obviously liked him enough to give him an extension almost immediately, bizarre non-retirement retirement press conference notwithstanding.

‘Woods’?!  Who the **** is ‘Woods’?!  Do you not read?  Can you not read?

• Haha (+1) 2

I really enjoyed listening to Kelso's take on things.  I also liked the fact that he stayed in WNY after playing (at least I think so - didn't he coach a HS team somewhere in WNY?).  I always appreciate the guys who stay after they play for the Bills.  Will be interesting to see how Woods meshes with Murphy.