Allen has seemingly improved every half so far

Big Turk

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

With the exception of the second half in Minnesota where he wasnt asked to do much of anything other than keep the clock moving.

This definitely bodes well for us and him...he seems to be more comfortable and the game looks like it is slowing down for him. Obviously he is still going to have some rough patches and bumps in the road but overall his trajectory is pointing in the right direction and I think he has been better than expected so far. If our receivers could stop dropping good passes that would also help. He could have finished 20 for 22 yesterday, he had some really bad drops.

And over 300 yards and 2 more TD throws. His qb ranking would of been around 130ish range.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

But the reason of being a fan is to have fun during the season.

Enjoy it for what it is.

IMO

I think fans can still have fun without going in on "we finally have Kelly's replacement" type talk 3 games into Allen's rookie season...

56 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

If I'm being honest, I didn't think he looked that good.  His best throw of the day was the drop to Benjamin. 

To me, it felt like most if his completions were short throws that were a product of the scripted offense drawn up by Daboll.  That is why so many of the yards were YAC.  It appeared that he wasn't really making a ton of decisions or even reading the defense.  He just immediately got rid of the ball to facilitate designed plays.  

While that is great, it just seems that he cant be considered on the way to being a franchise QB unless he is reading the defense, pre and post snap, and then making tough decisions.  Again, he did great with what he was asked to do.  But yesterdays success seemed to be more about Daboll than Allen. 

I don't really care about the running, though it is nice and will help keep plays alive later on.  

I think he looked Great for a rookie in his second start, first on the road.

Much of what you say, I agree with. He has shown he is not afraid to sling it and not trying to repeatedly make the Home Run is possibly a sign of progression due to coachability.

The Croom TD was slightly underthrown but set up by a beautiful pump fake. 

The pass to KB was money as was one of the long ones to Foster.

Again, he clearly exceeded my expectations.

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Meh, some of both.  He's been off target at times.  A couple times his receivers have bailed him out.  Foster saved him a pick yesterday.  Zay Jones and DiMarco both made great adjustments v. Chargers.  More times than not, though, his receivers have let him down, especially Benjamin, Clay, and Foster in that order. 

Foster is a raw rookie, known to be a raw rookie, his contributions are gravy and growing pains are expected.  He should really be on the practice squad.

Charles Clay's eating $9M cap and Benjamin $8.5M.  They are both expected to make those catches they're not.

I was speaking specifically to yesterday, but I absolutely agree that his accuracy was not good in the previous two games.  Clay and KB have been very disappointing.  I wish/hope Allen can form some sort of chemistry with Zay Jones.  Only one target yesterday and he caught it for a 17-yard pickup.  Would like to see more targets to see if he can be the receiver many of us thought he would be.

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

He’s looked better than I expected him to. Would like to see him connect on those deep balls and get better at identifying the blitz presnap. I assume the latter will come with time though.

Id like to see the receivers CATCH those deep balls too :)

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

If I'm being honest, I didn't think he looked that good.  His best throw of the day was the drop to Benjamin. 

To me, it felt like most if his completions were short throws that were a product of the scripted offense drawn up by Daboll.  That is why so many of the yards were YAC.  It appeared that he wasn't really making a ton of decisions or even reading the defense.  He just immediately got rid of the ball to facilitate designed plays.  

While that is great, it just seems that he cant be considered on the way to being a franchise QB unless he is reading the defense, pre and post snap, and then making tough decisions.  Again, he did great with what he was asked to do.  But yesterdays success seemed to be more about Daboll than Allen. 

I don't really care about the running, though it is nice and will help keep plays alive later on.  

To me, the scripted throws that were a product of Daboll's play calling were a large part of my excitement. The biggest knock on Allen coming out of school wasn't that he couldn't push the ball downfield or take the top off the defense, but instead that he was unable to stack up the routine throws, dump-offs, underneath stuff, etc. He excelled at those in this game. They weren't a part of his college ball, and he's had to learn how to temper the fastballs for these plays. I loved it. 

• Like (+1) 1

His adjusted completion percentage is probably somewhere around 75%. KB dropped two, one was a routine slant, the other was a contested catch that he got out-worked for and going up and coming down with those contested catches is supposed to be one of his strong suits. The Clay drop was a good throw but a tough catch to make. The deep ball to Foster was on the money, Foster just short-armed it. That was a consistent criticism I saw in his scouting reports, he's got speed, athleticism, he's improved on his route running but he has trouble tracking the ball and getting himself in a position to catch it. 

What's really awesome to see is a QB that is not afraid to sit there in the pocket and wait for the play to develop. With EJ, he'd dropback and be tap-dancing right away, eyes would drop to look at the rush and he'd either rush with his throw and launch a wobbler or take off when he had the chance to hang in there and make a play. With Taylor, it's dropback, scan the field, scan it some more, doesn't throw anyone open and doesn't throw into risky areas so after that, he's running around and half the time he'd make a 'wow' play, the other half, he's getting sacked. 

Allen has been pretty consistent with staying in the pocket and his movement and awareness is much further along than I thought it'd be. I'm sure he'll get better at pre-snap adjustments with more experience. And I'm sure there are gonna be bummer games where he doesn't look so good but he seems to be showing steady, consistent improvement from game to game. 

Very interested to see what he can do once they provide him some better weapons out there.

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

I think fans can still have fun without going in on "we finally have Kelly's replacement" type talk 3 games into Allen's rookie season...

Which is the other extreme side of the bell curve.

Josh Allen is going to be who he is going to be.

I'm taking every game one at a time.  On to Green Bay and maybe another win.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

He’s had some issues with underthrowing deep balls. Not a huge problem but they are still missed opportunities.

That throw actually frustrated me. Should have been an a TD and was nearly picked. 

But we then saw him drop in a nice one to foster...which was also dropped. 

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

Romo's comment was great. Just sling it! He was spot on with his advice. A 50 yard INT is like a punt. But overthrow it if in doubt. He's got such an arm we have to see at least 2 such deep throws per game. Even this miss and Foster's drop open up the field. Defenses have to account for those giant throws.

I also appreciated Romo pointing out reads Josh missed. It was insightful and valuable. 

If you compare his performance last week to this week, there were noticeable improvements. I suspect we will see more of that through the year. 

I firmly believe we have found or QB of the future. 

Just now, TroutDog said:

I also appreciated Romo pointing out reads Josh missed. It was insightful and valuable. 

If you compare his performance last week to this week, there were noticeable improvements. I suspect we will see more of that through the year. 

I firmly believe we have found or QB of the future. 

To me Allen has been fairly consistent. Of course in the Chargers game his inaccuracy was real  and concerning - real as opposed to parroting of scouting reports. Weird he had none of these yesterday. Or for that matter that the Bills' D turned from doormat to destroyers.  Who can figure this team? LOL

Most of Allen's flaw will improve with experience and he has enough strengths to be a good QB right now. Impressive. 

11 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

To me Allen has been fairly consistent. Of course in the Chargers game his inaccuracy was real  and concerning - real as opposed to parroting of scouting reports. Weird he had none of these yesterday. Or for that matter that the Bills' D turned from doormat to destroyers.  Who can figure this team? LOL

Most of Allen's flaw will improve with experience and he has enough strengths to be a good QB right now. Impressive. 

I attribute the inaccuracies in that game to both the game plan and his nerves. 

He looks more and more solid and I, for one, will not hedge in anointing him our future. His heart is absolutely in it, he loves his teammates, is a leader of men, buys into the process and has an arm like a cannon. 

Edited by TroutDog

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

I attribute the inaccuracies in that game to both the game plan and his nerves. 

He looks more and more solid and I, for one, will not hedge in anointing him out future. His heart is absolutely in it, he loves his teammates, is a leader of men, buys into the process and has an arm like a cannon. 

I agree. I've felt that way since the first preseason. He just has too many upsides. And while I don't put too much stock on the combine, the fact he had a super high wonderlic score, combined with his drive/work ethic, certainly bodes well!

And who else chuckles a bit inside on 3rd and 14, 3rd and 20? Seems totally doable with this guys at the helm! Though like Romo I did agree with the traditional draw play when they were deep in their own zone. But overall we sense that these are just like 3rd and 8s for most QBs. Fun.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Which is the other extreme side of the bell curve.

Josh Allen is going to be who he is going to be.

I'm taking every game one at a time.  On to Green Bay and maybe another win.

.....certainly agree CB...with his arm strength, certainly expected to see some passing attributes.....BUT.......with his size, did NOT expect to see a rusher, hurdler and "swan diver" with no water or pool.....:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Bangarang said:

He’s looked better than I expected him to. Would like to see him connect on those deep balls and get better at identifying the blitz presnap. I assume the latter will come with time though.

Yeah, as soon as he changes a play at the line and hurls one deep to punish a safety blitz or something I will be changing my wife's name to Josh

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....certainly agree CB...with his arm strength, certainly expected to see some passing attributes.....BUT.......with his size, did NOT expect to see a rusher, hurdler and "swan diver" with no water or pool.....:thumbsup:

I'm liking so much about Josh Allen.  His leadership is contagious and when people talk about him playing hero I think it's more for the team

than himself.  It's great having a QB who can "sneak" the ball too.  It's already fun watching him play.

Taking every game one at a time is more about me watching and enjoying each game vs. concerning myself how later in the year or next season will be.

5 hours ago, joesixpack said:

I'm saying he's underthrown BECAUSE he gets the feeling that even guys like foster won't make it on the deep ball.

This is absolutely the case. He's trying to take something off his long ball to accommodate his receivers. That's hard to do on a long throw like that. But a ton of reps and more familiarization with them will help him get a better gauge, I think. Let's hope the one that Foster dropped is a sign of that. 

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm liking so much about Josh Allen.  His leadership is contagious and when people talk about him playing hero I think it's more for the team

than himself.  It's great having a QB who can "sneak" the ball too.  It's already fun watching him play.

Taking every game one at a time is more about me watching and enjoying each game vs. concerning myself how later in the year or next season will be.

...damn right bud......his leadership, poise, humility and respect for the game as clearly evident qualities........ditto for his work ethic to get better.....get the impression it's "we versus "me".....could NOT have been more fitting to smoke "ME" Cousins' sorry azz, grossly overpaid and overrated IMO.....icing on the cake was 'Tre's "tunnel tribute"......MAJOR LMAO....

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

The D turned into destroyers in the 2nd half of the Chargers game limiting them to only 65 yards...they picked up where they left off from this week.

Edited by matter2003

6 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I though that when I said "he did great with what he asked me to do" that would send the message that I didn't think he "sucks."

Apparently I was wrong.  

That Croom TD throw was awesome.  But it was one read and then a wide open WR right next to his field of vision.  If he missed that hed deserve to be cut.  Conversely, him making the throw does not warrant over excitement.  I mean, again, I'm happy he did it, but that isn't a throw to get excited about.  

This is, what, your 5th account so far this year? Darnold sucks. I would hate to be you.

very unique QB. not great passing skills altho he has a nice arm(its not THAT strong).Needs to learn a lot about reading Ds .But on the very positive side the guy is just a winner.

Confident,moves the ball,great leadership,extremely athletic out there. You can tell he thinks he is the best player out there.Loved that first down signal after the ill advised but spectacular hurdle.

12 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I hated the 2nd half of Minny. While I “get it”. Keep your foot on the gas. 

Agreed—while I credit the defense for keeping it going, we’ve already seen Chicago give up close to a 20 point lead this year and we all know what happened with the Pats coming back from 28-3 down a couple SB’s ago. Point is, no lead is safe these days, especially with that much time left

22 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Still aways to go but the first down hurdle run was him identifying the blitz and sliding his line over. The kid's smart and seems to be a quick learner he just has to pick it up as he goes.

There will be dark days in between.

16 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Big improvement. Better play calling from Daboll as well but this is great to see. Let's see if he can keep this up v GB.

Edited by FeelingOnYouboty

3 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Agreed—while I credit the defense for keeping it going, we’ve already seen Chicago give up close to a 20 point lead this year and we all know what happened with the Pats coming back from 28-3 down a couple SB’s ago. Point is, no lead is safe these days, especially with that much time left

I agree. Eventually I hope the Bills get to the mindset of this is what we are doing. You dont want is to drop 50 then stop us. I hate when they take their foots off the gas. Go hang 40 force the other team to stop you. 

Now in the 4th ok. But not after half 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/24/2018 at 10:33 AM, PeterDude said:

Bills fans have been duped so many times, it's prudent IMO to just wait until after the season before getting all giddy.

Yeah, you're right, we've seen what happened on Sunday before.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

Sure, but what is the percentage of such occurrences?  Skepticism is warranted until the franchise proves otherwise IMO.

I was this kind of fan for a few years.  It's not fun.  Now I'm enjoying the wins and looking for any positives out of the losses.  It's a lot better (for me) that way.

• Like (+1) 2

Allen has been consistently improving which is what he needs to do. People need to remember that Allen was looked at many as a project and that he should sit on the bench and learn for this season. To see the improvement he has made in this short time is great and I think he has the ability to continue that. He will also get better the more time he works with this group as well. Remember that he has not been working with the Ones since day one spent a lot of time with the 2’s and 3’s during camp. Some of this is why I believe we are rotating receivers often as well is to see what we have a get some guys out there Allen has a little bit more chemistry with. 

I was a bit concerned at first about starting the kid this early. I too, wanted him to sit on the bench and learn. But from what I've seen so far, Allen seems to be adjusting to the speed of the game quite nicely. He doesn't seem fazed by things at all. Hopefully, the coaches and fellow players can impress upon him the need to avoid hurdling opposing players though. That's one thing he needs to avoid.