We are getting killed on espn

17 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

ESPN is just fine if they are televising a live sporting event that I want to watch.

Other than that, there is no reason to ever go to the channel.

NFL network is better if you just want to have some general football stuff on in the background while you do something else.

I often leave the TV on at tuned to NFL network; it's better than ESPN and they have a variety of attractive women on the channel as well.  LOL.

:w00t:

This is sort of why I don't like to see Bills fans poking fun at the Cleveland Browns organization.

Doing that is effectively laughing at yourself, and not in a good or healthy way.

In the early 80's, I saw the second to worst record in baseball Mets beat the worst team in baseball Phillies.  The deafening chant was "YOU ARE WORSE THAN US"

25 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Every time the BILLS come up every person on there laughs and chuckles and says good luck.

I know we deserve it, just tired of being a joke in the league.

i think a lot of it is because of the Peterman factor.   But McD better get his defense in line because it's not supposed to be a complete embarrassment of a season.  Pegula didn't sign up for that I can assure you.   His other club has already been the joke in NHL circles for several years.

8 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

That is pretty common for American TV "commentary" shows all around, whether it's sports or general news or anything.

They gather a way-too-big panel and then they all shout over each other.

It's so refreshing to watch soccer news shows from the UK and Germany where they have 2 or 3 people at most, and they engage in calm, serious, genuine conversation.  No one talks over anyone and they all give each other as much time as they need to make their point. 

It's about 100 times more intelligent, overall, than the American approach.

Some excellent points.

What i find unwatchable i believe it is Fox with Steve Mariuuiici and Jimmie Johnson, NFL pre-game, they sit around and laugh constantly about childisih and ng jokes, after about 10 years i think everyone realizes Terry Bradshaw is bold and Jimmie Johnson has stiff hair.

27 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Every time the BILLS come up every person on there laughs and chuckles and says good luck.

I kinda understand your feelings. This was playoff team a season ago and it seems as though we get less respect than a team that was 1-31 the last 2 seasons. They fail to mention other teams that look God awful like the Colts, Raiders, Cards. Just when we get close they kick us back down.

We are The Bills, embrace it! If not like others suggested, change the channel.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

ShabbyBlissfulAfricangoldencat-small.gifShabbyBlissfulAfricangoldencat-small.gifShabbyBlissfulAfricangoldencat-small.gifShabbyBlissfulAfricangoldencat-small.gifShabbyBlissfulAfricangoldencat-small.gif

As long as our line is the way it is....the laughing will never stop. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

That is pretty common for American TV "commentary" shows all around, whether it's sports or general news or anything.

They gather a way-too-big panel and then they all shout over each other.

It's so refreshing to watch soccer news shows from the UK and Germany where they have 2 or 3 people at most, and they engage in calm, serious, genuine conversation.  No one talks over anyone and they all give each other as much time as they need to make their point. 

It's about 100 times more intelligent, overall, than the American approach.

but there is no point to their gentle discussions if you just watched the game that was played

So let them laugh.  We are rebuilding.  Did everyone laugh when Indi was sucking for Luck?  We are going to suck this year because they are building a team.  That's what happens when you dump overpaid underperforming players.  My hope is that we see some bright moments and the team to start coming together with Allen getting better as the season goes on.  That's what Bills fans should be watching... not to try and make some one and done playoffs because its not going to happen.  They should be watching and hoping that Allen, the Oline, and the defense improves over the course of the year.

Whether or not they can build this team properly and turn it into an consistent contender remains to be seen.  McBeane is doing the right stuff though.  Build for the long term.  Not shove overpriced players on the roster trying to push to make the playoffs.  Last season was a gift.  This really should have been what happened last season.  It sucks but its what needs to happen.  With the right moves in a couple years this team should be competing and still getting better.  That year is not this year.  Young rookie QB and no talent.

30 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I know what you mean, but they aren't dead yet, and in fact remain a fairly loud voice on the national sports landscape.

It is what it is.  Buffalo is unlikely to shake up its image on a national level any time soon.

I live in S. FL these days. A  few months ago I went to the dermatologist for a yearly checkup.

He was making small talk and asking where I'm from.  I mentioned that I was originally from Buffalo and he literally, naturally, winced in pain, shook his head, and something like "Jesus" followed by a comment about our winters.

LOL.  Sure a lot of it is rooted in misconception, but the average dude around this country really has nothing to associate with WNY other than sports failures and bad weather. 

As I said, it is what it is.

I can completely relate.  I currently reside in Atlanta,  home of a good many trash-talking dirty bird fans who love nothing more than to engage in rarely good-natured, most times ignorant banter with anyone who doesn't love the Falcons...

Usually on Sundays I go to my Bills bar, but since we moved up to Gwinnett county,  I am now 45 minutes away.  So I ended up having to go somewhere much closer.  Even though the Falcons had already played Thursday night, the place was still packed to the gills with Falcons fans.  I think most of them came out to root against the Saints(who happen to be my 2nd fav team as my wife is from New Orleans). 

While sitting at the bar engaging in some healthy talk about the NFL in general, a couple of drunk Falcons fans who were also sitting at the bar and listening in on our convo decided it was time to start messing with the "stranger"....they were like, "well since it's obvious you ain't no dirty bird fan, tell us, who's your team??"  I said loud and proud, "The Buffalo Bills!"

None of them said a word.  Not even so much as a chuckle.  They all just went back to watching their games. 

About an hour later I got an anonymous plate of wings and a Blue Moon. 

When i got to my car after the game, there was a beautiful floral arrangement sitting on the roof.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BBills88 said:

Who cares!

We were tanking last year according to everyone.

ESPN FELL OFF SINCE BOOMER, RIP  STEW SCOTT.

I miss John Saunders.  That guy would put college football in such a great bundle.  His voice was like the background track to the sport.

27 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

In whose eyes are the Bills not the worst team in the NFL?

Wppete's ????

27 minutes ago, row_33 said:

but there is no point to their gentle discussions if you just watched the game that was played

I'm not talking about "post game shows".  I'm talking about "what's going on around the league" shows.

2 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

ESPN is the CNN of sports, all reporting is based on sensationalism 

Don't forget The Weather Channel too!

Every last thing they do/say/show is governed around the concept of "People are going to die!" and then they seem disappointed when a storm dies down and goes away.

I guess they assume most of their viewers are in spots other than where the weather is located, and they just want to see some sensational suggestion that all hell is going to break loose. 

Their tone is 100% fabricated and disingenuous.  

8 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Who derives their self worth from what ESPN says about the bills?

:unsure:

Lots of folks here derive a sense of self worth from the Bills and/or the WNY community, and take it personally when either is diminished in any way.

I would put forth it is people who don't have a lot of accomplishment going on in their personal life, so they associate themselves with a professional sports team hoping for a little glitz and glam, success, or God knows what to rub off on them.  

Just a theory.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

I can completely relate.  I currently reside in Atlanta,  home of a good many trash-talking dirty bird fans who love nothing more than to engage in rarely good-natured, most times ignorant banter with anyone who doesn't love the Falcons...

Usually on Sundays I go to my Bills bar, but since we moved up to Gwinnett county,  I am now 45 minutes away.  So I ended up having to go somewhere much closer.  Even though the Falcons had already played Thursday night, the place was still packed to the gills with Falcons fans.  I think most of them came out to root against the Saints(who happen to be my 2nd fav team as my wife is from New Orleans). 

While sitting at the bar engaging in some healthy talk about the NFL in general, a couple of drunk Falcons fans who were also sitting at the bar and listening in on our convo decided it was time to start messing with the "stranger"....they were like, "well since it's obvious you ain't no dirty bird fan, tell us, who's your team??"  I said loud and proud, "The Buffalo Bills!"

None of them said a word.  Not even so much as a chuckle.  They all just went back to watching their games. 

About an hour later I got an anonymous plate of wings and a Blue Moon. 

When i got to my car after the game, there was a beautiful floral arrangement sitting on the roof.

I feel like there is more to this story

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Lots of folks here derive a sense of self worth from the Bills and/or the WNY community, and take it personally when either is diminished in any way.

I would put forth it is people who don't have a lot of accomplishment going on in their personal life, so they associate themselves with a professional sports team hoping for a little glitz and glam, success, or God knows what to rub off on them.  

Just a theory.

Hell, man. They need to move to Philadelphia. Live around here long enough, you hear enough **** talk about buffalo till you're desensitized.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Well when you start a joke of a QB, you become the joke of the league.  Its well deserved.

1 hour ago, dwight in philly said:

Who watches ESPN anymore .they are a caricature of themselves 

I still prefer ESPN to the Patriot blowhards on NFLN. Usually can only tolerate about 5 minutes of their programming before talk inevitably turns to New England. ESPN has certainly declined over the years, but remains better than most others. 

• Like (+1) 2