Ryan Gates of WGR follows through on quitting job if Bills draft Josh Allen

1 hour ago, jimmy10 said:

I worked in terrestrial radio. The pay is ****. The job stability is ****. The benefits are ****, if you’re lucky. 

This was a smart move, one he was probably planning on anyway. 

This is my take on it as well.  That producer position is obviously an entry-level type gig for a kid to get his feet wet in the business and put something on his resume, then move forward. 

Schopp & Bulldog have gone through a steady stream of producers over the years.

I liked Ryan.  He is a sharp kid and has a good sense of humor.  

I wish him well. 

Edited by Fadingpain

1 hour ago, jamiezzz said:

...and anyone still listens to wgr, why?   Why does this deserve a thread?  Let's move on...

No, but when discussing st*pid sh!t like this, get rid of it.  Wgr is absolute crap.  This topic is garbage.  

omg omg omg omg....he left! Not sure who he is, but I will wish anyone on a new adventure good luck!  

57 minutes ago, jamiezzz said:

I hope theres a serious change at wgr.  Need new personalities.  I used to love to listen, but these personalities on wgr are hard to stomach. 

A guy who doesn't care but posts 4 times in this thread.  Cool story.

This is a shame.  He was quickly becoming my favorite personality on WGR along with Sal.  A younger, much more reasonable take.  And he actually talked about and knew about more than just the Bills, Sabres, and gambling/fantasy sports.  He was refreshing, IMO. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

A guy who doesn't care but posts 4 times in this thread.  Cool story.

This is a shame.  He was quickly becoming my favorite personality on WGR along with Sal.  A younger, much more reasonable take.  And he actually talked about and knew about more than just the Bills, Sabres, and gambling/fantasy sports.  He was refreshing, IMO. 

Yeah, but in the end, he is either lying about the circumstances under which he is leaving his job......or he is a petulant child who quit a job over a sports team personnel move.

Either way, no loss at all.  He can move back in with mom and dad and work on "developing an app", or something...

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 hour ago, jimmy10 said:

I worked in terrestrial radio. The pay is ****. The job stability is ****. The benefits are ****, if you’re lucky. 

I think so too...it seems like on-air talent do pretty well though right?

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

What principle is he standing for? The one that says you should bulldoze your career if some event over which you have no control and has nothing to do with you doesn't turn out as you wanted.

I think it’s a joke.  He was probably considering leaving anyway.  He found a job opportunity in a different field and took it.  

7 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Ask the local hosts, who are always seem to be shilling for some basement waterproofer, pizza joint, or liquor store.

That’s for the station though.  Those companies pay for advertising and receive an on-air read in return.  

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

That’s for the station though.  Those companies pay for advertising and receive an on-air read in return.  

Would the on air personality be able at their contract renegotiation to say to management, "from here on I do not do endorsements"?

• Like (+1) 1

Will he quit life if the Sabres don't draft Dahlin?  What NBA lottery pick does he feel strongly enough about to quit sugary cereals for?

• Like (+1) 1

As a regular listener, I think he's kind of joking around about quitting over Allen.  I don't think he had much of a future in radio and figured it was time to move on.  He seems like a good kid and I enjoyed his presence, even though he made me feel super old by not knowing anything about sports pre-late 90's.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

As a regular listener, I think he's kind of joking around about quitting over Allen.  I don't think he had much of a future in radio and figured it was time to move on.  He seems like a good kid and I enjoyed his presence, even though he made me feel super old by not knowing anything about sports pre-late 90's.

Yeah, I’m fairly certain it’s a coincidence he’s leaving the show. But if he can work the quitting because of Josh Allen angle, why not.

I once said I’m going to take home the hottest girl in the bar one night. Then boom, 6 years later I married the 10th hottest.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I thought he was pretty good. Not the best voice but good conversationalist. Pretty knowledgeable. However I'll bet quitting over Allen is a goof. He probably got a real job. Being S&B's producer probably pays just above minimum wage.

Regarding 'best voice', it does seem that quality long ago disappeared as a prerequisite to be in broadcast media.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

So did I in the UK and yep, the pay is atrocious and the benefits are bad.  

10 hours ago, GreggTX said:

What principle is he standing for? The one that says you should bulldoze your career if some event over which you have no control and has nothing to do with you doesn't turn out as you wanted.

It was a point that had to be made. I have not seen such commitment to duty since the well known heroics of the Judean People's Front:

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

This.  He wouldn't have left if he didnt want to.

I liked him.  His voice was a little rough/sounded like he has a perpetual cold... but I enjoyed his presence, as well as when I caught his show.  

Edited by May Day 10

There are seminal moments in life where you need to take a stand, but taking a stand over drafting Josh Allen? Wow. If this is a watershed issue for him, he must not have much going on outside of work.

Edited by Sky Diver

12 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I disagree with his reasoning but it's refreshing to see someone stand by his words.

Seriously. The guy keeps his word, stands up what he beleives in, shows integrity, and you @ssholes shame him for having a spine. Yall need to revisit your moral fiber priorities. Im a degenerate but damnit God knows im a man of my word.

Just now, FearLess Price said:

Seriously. The guy keeps his word, stands up what he beleives in, shows integrity, and you @ssholes shame him for having a spine. Yall need to revisit your moral fiber priorities. Im a degenerate but damnit God knows im a man of my word.

I don't believe for one minute he's really quitting over the Allen pick.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't believe for one minute he's really quitting over the Allen pick.

Indeed. 

The guy had (might still have 1 of them..) 2 other jobs to make ends meet. You can't make a living being a producer for Schopp & BD. See the other producers that lasted roughly the same amount of time as Gates.

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Holding ground....by quitting his job over a team's draft pick?

Yeah, that's a real Jesus on the cross right there....

Lol...not quite what I meant. He DID say he'd quit if we drafted Allen. Seems rather silly, but he's got other opportunities elsewhere. But just the fact that he's doing what he threatened to do , I must say he's a man of his word...even tho I do see it as comical lol

Was just listening to Hour 1 of the Night Cap on demand.  Ryan mentioned numerous times how broke he was and how he can't afford this or that.  Clearly this decision was a financial one for him and had nothing at all to do with statement he made regarding Allen. 

15 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Was just listening to Hour 1 of the Night Cap on demand.  Ryan mentioned numerous times how broke he was and how he can't afford this or that.  Clearly this decision was a financial one for him and had nothing at all to do with statement he made regarding Allen. 

I remember when I was his age.... I started working in pro sports.  My friends all thought it was great and I "made it".  I was able to get tickets for people, was able to get free goodies, and was able to go to games (I had to arrive at 5:30AM on a gameday and worked for 13-14 hours).  It had ruined my enjoyment of the sport.  For the time I was in baseball and there was a homestand.... forget it.  Ill see everyone in a few weeks.   It was a highly coveted position (as most are), so I was slapped with a static salary and 'expected' to put in 50-70 hours a week.  Also, lots of poor organizational politics that didnt work well unless you were well connected and/or a major butt kisser.  On top of that, my friends, typically working normal/conventional weeks and maintaining a social life, were making more money than me.

I hung on for a few years (not including undergrad intern work), and eventual made a similar decision to go into the conventional working world.  Probably a similar situation to this kid.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 2