Does your thinking now fly out the window in September?

For example now I'm thinking the team overachieved a little last year.  In my opinion the schedules a little harder this year.  8 wins wouldn't be bad if Allen gets some starts under his belt and is set for next year.

In reality when the season starts I know I won't have this mind set.  Bad losses like last year to the Chargers and Saints will be painful.  Guaranteed "the process" won't be on my mind then.

Edited by Another Fan

I expect them to be a little worse and honestly I think 6-10 wouldn't be bad if Allen starts some games, shows some promise and they can unearth one unheralded gem at receiver and another at offensive line. If that happened I think we would be pretty well set to be good in 2019. 

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I expect them to be a little worse and honestly I think 6-10 wouldn't be bad if Allen starts some games, shows some promise and they can unearth one unheralded gem at receiver and another at offensive line. If that happened I think we would be pretty well set to be good in 2019. 

If the Bills go 6-10 everyone here will flip out and want McDermott and Beane fired and every player traded for draft picks....and Allen will be considered a bust

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, nucci said:

If the Bills go 6-10 everyone here will flip out and want McDermott and Beane fired and every player traded for draft picks....and Allen will be considered a bust

So true, but not everybody!

Every year teams that are supposed to be bad are good and teams that are supposed to be good are bad. Let’s hope the Bills are one of the former and some opponents are the latter.

Edited by chris heff
  • Like (+1) 1

I now think we will be within a game or two or .500. What may change my thinking more than our record may be HOW we get to whatever record we wind up with. How does the QB position look?  Does Allen play? What does the OLine look like? Does the D continue to improve? How much fight do we show? How well prepared do they appear?

These things may not lead directly to a great record, but I want feel like we’re improving and going in the right direction. I’m optimistic now, and hope to remain that way even if we only get to 6-10 or so. 

8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Gug....will you stop confusing me with facts please

(had to recheck it....apparently we were tough at home)

LOL!  Well, I had to look it up.  But the Jets road game was some of the worst football I've seen the Bills play .. EVER .. so I had see if we were that bad elsewhere!

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

LOL!  Well, I had to look it up.  But the Jets road game was some of the worst football I've seen the Bills play .. EVER .. so I had see if we were that bad elsewhere!

While not good, we were a lot better than other years it felt like, we did win @Atl and @KC, two playoff teams (the other being @Miami week 17)

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

So, you missed the Chargers game?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

So, you missed the Chargers game?

I was at the Jets game, so it hurt a little more.  Plus, we actually had our "starting QB," playing.  And it was against the Jets ... not the Chargers.

Edited by Gugny

I wouldn't attempt a guess on 2018. The Bills are slowly upgrading the roster from average to above average.

The plus side, this is a highly motivated team built to win not survive.

IF one of the 3 QB's can be effective the outlook COULD be better then last year...

• Like (+1) 3

Still too many unknown factors to make a decision.  If we continue to "defend our dirt," I could easily see 5 or 6 wins at home.  Tougher road schedule, but I could see us winning 8-10 games.  Ask me in a couple months once TC and preseason starts and maybe my views will have changed.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, THE SLAMMER said:

I wouldn't attempt a guess on 2018. The Bills are slowly upgrading the roster from average to above average.

The plus side, this is a highly motivated team built to win not survive.

IF one of the 3 QB's can be effective the outlook COULD be better then last year...

I agree with you and Im hoping we actually have 2 QB’s that are effective.....it would be kinda sweet to have THAT kind of a QB problem.....who to play?

Hey if you’re gonna dream.....go big!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nucci said:

Not everyone. Only those who know nothing about building a winning program in the NFL.

4 hours ago, Another Fan said:

For example now I'm thinking the team overachieved a little last year.  In my opinion the schedules a little harder this year.  8 wins wouldn't be bad if Allen gets some starts under his belt and is set for next year.

In reality when the season starts I know I won't have this mind set.  Bad losses like last year to the Chargers and Saints will be painful.  Guaranteed "the process" won't be on my mind then.

Waay too early to think about opening that "window."

I think this season may play out a little bit like last season in that they'll probably win some games everyone thinks they should lose and then they'll turn around and lose a couple to teams they should be beating. 

Truthfully, I think the defense has a great chance to take a big step forward this season. Last season, everyone assumed the secondary would be the weak link but it ended up being the DL. They went out and addressed that by bringing in Lotulelei and Murphy, and then drafting Phillips. Then they land Edmunds, who has a chance to be a truly special player, and he has an excellent mentor to learn from in Lorax. Combine that with the secondary and I think they could be a solid group.

Offensively, I expect some growing pains. Especially if Allen starts playing early on. Aside from that, the OL is gonna take some time to come together. 

Overall, the team is still going to try to win with the run game and a strong defense. I think the defense will keep them in a fair number of games. It'll be up to the offense and whoever is at QB to pull out a few close wins down the line if they wanna get back to the playoffs again.

5 hours ago, Another Fan said:

...exactly what would that be based on?......perhaps waiting for OTA's, TC and pre-season may be a factor?...as far as strength of schedule, I'll assume the urinalistic pundits have factored in trades, injuries, releases/cuts, new signings, etc as CLEARLY viewed in their "crystal bawls", right?....be patient my friend.....we have a LONG way to go.......think "heart health" first...

In all honesty, on paper at least, our schedule looks hard af. I still expect at least 7 wins and our defense to keep us close in more than that. It depends on how things shake out on the OL. If they can get it together, Shady stays healthy, and we get something from the QB position then we just might win 10. A worse season than last year wouldn't be the end of the world though. We have a ton of cash for next offseason and a really young team for the most part. 

I still hold to another 9-7 year following the same template as last year, lean hard on an improved D, hope the O can scrape enough points up to win.  I think the O will be on par with last season, growing pains offset by a QB that will throw breaking opposing Ds out of stacking the box.  I see, overall, a slightly improved team, but hold to 9 wins because I think the schedule is rougher.  Got a funny feeling we steal one from NE this year, though.

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

In my mind the team is not going to be worse then last year until they actually show they are......

There are unknowns.....there are also defensive improvements and a 2nd year in the system.

I expect the defense to be better, and the offense to be a little worse (if that's even possible) : )

I expect the Defense to be considerably better with the shore up of the line. The DB's are set . LB  is a little bit sketchy but i suspect there is help coming after June 1st. The Offense is going to be better because we will have a QB that throws to  Wide Receivers  , no matter which one of the three starts. The WR's can't help but be better than last year.. Shady has help this year. We have a new Offensive Coordinator . I will expect 10 plus wins this year.

• Like (+1) 1

I did all my thinking and it's already flown out the window. I just want to wipe the slate clean in my mind and see how the season unfolds and be a Bills fan. 

I have some faith and I have some doubts. I'm ready to ride the highs and lows of the season. I found myself very critical twords the end of last season only to see lightning strike. It was amazing to see the video of the team when Andy Dalton made the play that secured the playoffs. 

I'm glad I got to live vicariously through them at that moment and share the joy. I was dissapointed in myself for counting the Bills out. It was a lesson learned for me. 

I feel like I read the first few chapters of the Bills in the new era and I'm eagerly anticipating reading the next few chapters. I'm really just hoping for a happy ending to this story. 

• Like (+1) 1

I thought last year was extremely difficult to predict due to the coaching changes, and stated they would win somewhere between 4 and 10 games. This year they have a really rough schedule, along with the uncertainty at QB and offense in general. I think the D will keep them in most games, but the O is a big ???? 

That said, I will find it very hard to be disappointed by this team under McD. While there may be a game or two where they come out flat, they will mostly "give it their all."  I recall being at games and seeing players simply going through the motion and wondered why I wasted my money on those bums.  This team is a pleasure to watch now.

13 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...exactly what would that be based on?......perhaps waiting for OTA's, TC and pre-season may be a factor?...as far as strength of schedule, I'll assume the urinalistic pundits have factored in trades, injuries, releases/cuts, new signings, etc as CLEARLY viewed in their "crystal bawls", right?....be patient my friend.....we have a LONG way to go.......think "heart health" first...

Intended or not... I love it :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1