Which UDFA do yo think has the best shot at making the Bills?

Levi is a great guess Superhero...He likely has to beat out Breon Borders, Lafayette Pitts and Ryan Carter if the Bills keep 5 CB's.  I think it will come down to special teams play.

WR Robert Foster would be my pick. 

• Like (+1) 2

I like Mat Boesen to make the team as a hybrid DE/OLB pass rusher.   That said I am also on record as saying Lorax will not make the final cut.  This team has a stunning lack of talent in the pass rush.  If it comes down to numbers I think they will keep an extra pass rusher and PS a DB or two.  

I think Ike Boetgger, OT Iowa coming off Achilles will make the PS and after a year will challenge for the swing tackle spot.

• Like (+1) 1

Personally, I don't think there are as many WR spots open as some others think.

Benjamin, Jones, Kerley, and Holmes are all near locks to make the roster in my mind. That leaves two spots at most. McCloud and Proehl would seem to have the inside track on those two spots, based on their having been drafted. I could see only one of them making the 53, but in that case, it's just as likely that the final spot goes to second year players Dupre or Reilly. 

OLB, on the other hand? We've got Humber to back up Milano, but we need more depth at the outside linebacker spot. For that reason I pick:

Corey Thompson, LSU.

• Like (+1) 3

Definitely some interesting prospects given that I think this coaching staff will make room for hard-working over-achievers. Bring it everyday and you got a shot.

If I had to pick one, I think Corey Thompson has a clear path to the 53, provided he plays all-out and stays healthy.

1 hour ago, H2o said:

I too think Foster has the best shot due to his familiarity with the offense, the WR depth chart right now, his speed, and potential ST value. 

This is where I am as well. There are a few guys though that have a shot. How hard would it be for Foster to take a spot from Andre Holmes for example? Thompson has a shot as well. If Boesen shows the ability to rush the passer he will be in the mix. 

The Bills aren’t overly talented or deep. There is opportunity here for aome of these young guys to get a chance.

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Ike Boettger

Like Foster and a couple of the other guys, too, but surprised it took this long to mention Boettger, given the the state of our oline and the fact he wasn't drafted due (I think) to his injury.

I'm with you, Barbarian.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 or 4 UDFAs make it.  I'm going to go for a name not yet mentioned and say I think former LSU hybrid Corey Thompson has a chance.  They had him in as one of their 30 visits - they clearly like him a lot.  

21 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Maybe that de Beer kid... just because it seems fitting to have a dude with the last name "Beer" on the Bills.

He was on One Bills Live, I think he's only been playing football a few years. Played rugby and went to Arizona on a track and field scholarship after coming from South Africa. I bet he makes the practice squad, but the 53 might be tough.

I know Foster is a popular pick, but I'm curious to see if Cam Phillips can stand out. 

11 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

I like Mat Boesen to make the team as a hybrid DE/OLB pass rusher.   That said I am also on record as saying Lorax will not make the final cut.  This team has a stunning lack of talent in the pass rush.  If it comes down to numbers I think they will keep an extra pass rusher and PS a DB or two.  

I think Ike Boetgger, OT Iowa coming off Achilles will make the PS and after a year will challenge for the swing tackle spot.

The Bills have no pass rush but they are going to cut Lorenzo Alexander? Okay.

Foster is going to have trouble unless he really shows on ST. Most of those spots are already taken and the Bills seem to be high on Dupre, Reilly, Streater, etc., to say nothing of the likelihood of a free agent signing or trade at WR.

5 hours ago, H2o said:

I too think Foster has the best shot due to his familiarity with the offense, the WR depth chart right now, his speed, and potential ST value. 

The Daboll connection would appear to be a key to a roster spot.  I did not know Foster was a 5 star recruit from Pa.  Daboll probably has a very good idea of what he could do in the NFL and why his college career was less than what it could have been.

• Like (+1) 1

1. Wallace

2. Boettger

3. Foster

Although DB is the least needed of the these position groups Wallace according to camp reports has been turning heads with his knack for being around the ball. Great work ethic and very good footwork.

Boettger was projected as a 5th-6th rounder before his Achilles injury. Solid athlete

Foster has a good shot at making the team at a position of weakness. Like Wallace, that Alabama connection may play a role in familiarity.

• Like (+1) 1

Wallace walked on at Alabama after playing high school ball in Tucson, not exactly a hotbed of football talent (although Blake Martinez is from Tucson). Going from walk on to a starter on scholarship at Alabama shows the ability to learn and grow. My guess is he sticks, although I would also love for deBeer to stick as well.

3 hours ago, elroy16 said:

He was on One Bills Live, I think he's only been playing football a few years. Played rugby and went to Arizona on a track and field scholarship after coming from South Africa. I bet he makes the practice squad, but the 53 might be tough.

I know Foster is a popular pick, but I'm curious to see if Cam Phillips can stand out. 

Yeah, I read up on the guy a little bit. Certainly an intriguing prospect at the least. Practice squad definitely seems possible. He has that athletic versatility that McBeane loves, so, that's already one foot in the door haha. 

I was going to say Foster as well, but if I recall correctly, de Beer was the first UDFA they signed and from what I read, they went after him pretty early, so, they must see something there they can develop. 

• Like (+1) 1

Gerhard DeBeers. 

Pretty unlikely, actually, but he’s a behemoth with some serious athleticism. Would be very cool if his learning curve were steep enough to actually make the 53. Were that the case, he could really develop into something special. 

19 hours ago, Logic said:

Benjamin, Jones, Kerley, and Holmes are all near locks to make the roster in my mind. That leaves two spots at most. McCloud and Proehl would seem to have the inside track on those two spots, based on their having been drafted. I could see only one of them making the 53, but in that case, it's just as likely that the final spot goes to second year players Dupre or Reilly. 

OLB, on the other hand? We've got Humber to back up Milano, but we need more depth at the outside linebacker spot. For that reason I pick:

Corey Thompson, LSU.

I think several of those WRs are the same guy, in different uniform.

Foster is the deep threat this team needs.

10 hours ago, Flip Johnson said:

The Bills have no pass rush but they are going to cut Lorenzo Alexander? Okay.

Foster is going to have trouble unless he really shows on ST. Most of those spots are already taken and the Bills seem to be high on Dupre, Reilly, Streater, etc., to say nothing of the likelihood of a free agent signing or trade at WR.

Lorax had three sacks last year and was basically non-existent on defense for most of the year. He was a great story in 2016. He dropped off terribly in 2017.  The kids will play special teams and he will retire the second week of training camp.

Hope I'm wrong and he can bounce back with 8-10 sacks but I think that is very unlikely.

47 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Lorax had three sacks last year and was basically non-existent on defense for most of the year. He was a great story in 2016. He dropped off terribly in 2017.  The kids will play special teams and he will retire the second week of training camp.

Hope I'm wrong and he can bounce back with 8-10 sacks but I think that is very unlikely.

He had to play too much last year. I think he can still come off the edge and help them out situationally this year.

On 5/29/2018 at 10:26 PM, JoeF said:

Levi is a great guess Superhero...He likely has to beat out Breon Borders, Lafayette Pitts and Ryan Carter if the Bills keep 5 CB's.  I think it will come down to special teams play.

WR Robert Foster would be my pick. 

I don’t even know Levi really but when you say it like that...

21 hours ago, Logic said:

I would say Benjamin (1) and Zay (2) are locks. Agree that Kerley (3) is a near-lock. And I think barring injury, Streater (4) makes the team.

I don't think Holmes is a near lock at all. I think he could just as easily not make the 53. McCloud might make the team if he is the best option at punt or kickoff return. Sounds like Proehl has looked good so far, but is most likely headed for the practice squad.

I think one of your last two spots (5-6) goes to either McCloud or Kaelin Clay for kick returning duties. They probably hope it is McCloud (he proves ready) and Clay is the insurance policy. If it's Clay, then McCloud probably goes to the practice squad with Proehl. If it's McCloud, Clay gets cut.

So, there is one spot left for either Holmes, Riley, Foster, or Dupre. Holmes might currently have the inside track due to special teams play. But if Foster shows a knack for teams, I think he could beat out Holmes because he is tall enough to be a red zone target (which is about all Holmes is as a WR), but he is also fast (can get down the field). I love Riley, but assume special teams play is still holding him back. But maybe a year on the practice squad has changed that. And I think Dupre is still on the outside looking in. But I do think there is a very good chance that one of the young guys will knock Holmes off the roster.

10 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Not a chance. Lorenzo played very well last year. Yes, his sack stats were down, but you have to look at the whole picture. First of all, the whole team had difficulty getting a pass rush. Plus the new coaching staff didn't start using Lorenzo as a pass rusher again until later in the season. They were also limiting his snaps at first, he only started 11 of 16 games. It always takes a new staff a little bit of time to figure out how each player best suits their scheme. He still had 53 tackles, 3 sacks , and 3 forced fumbles with fewer reps and much fewer opportunities to rush the passer. But the guy was still balling out every time he hit the field. Plus, despite only being here two plus years, he is one of the team leaders with the McD DNA. Zo has at least one more year in Buffalo and I expect him to still be playing well, however many snaps he gets. No chance he gets cut or retires before the start of the season.

As to the OP's question, I think the Alabama connection counts and Foster and/or Wallace make the team.

4 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Dude invented jeans back in the 1800s, pretty cool dude I guess. He is not a football player.

Im not sure the CBs ahead of him on the depth chart either. Even in denim he might outplay them.

I think you just have to look at probability when trying to figure this question out. 

A guy like Robert Foster has to beat out Reilly, Dupre, Streater. Seems like there is a pretty good chance there. 

Levi Wallace needs to beat out Breon Borders and Lafayette Pitts. This seems very likely to be a realistic possibility. 

Boettger or DeBeer have to beat out McDermott, D'Ondre Wesley etc, which also seems likely.