Which Bills Decision Infuriated You?

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Yeah I don’t doubt it

Again though with Rob, I don’t think fans were infuriated with the move.  We just hoped he’d help Rex get back on track 

That is when I knew Rex has jumped the shark.  I thought it was a terrible and stupid move at the time.  If he was not Rex's brother it doesnt happen.

4 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

We didn't trade UP to take EJ. We traded DOWN and took Robert Woods with the pick we got from Lambs.  Too bad EJ didn't work out

I thought it was Kiko?  Which turned into Shady McCoy.   I hear about how the Bills traded up for Manuel a lot, as much as it was a bad pick, they knew the QB's were not good and traded back.   I think Nix had a chance to trade back a few more spots but got nervous and pulled out.

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

We traded down to get EJ. 

Bills  were probably the first team ever to trade down to get their franchise QB. That's never a good sign.

That trade back did get us Kiko, who in turn got us Shady, so silver linings there. 

14 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

They get an unfair rap IMO. I suppose because of recency bias and Whaley's infamous last  PC (I didn't think it was THAT bad, I mean the dude was trying to not throw his  owners under the bus and in an impossible position.)

People gripe Whaley didn't have a plan.. he did. Just didn't pan out. Built from a great defense by drafting his quarterback and going for win now by getting the best WR graded since AJ Green. Overpaid for Clay and basically gambled on having a capable offense on rookie contracts, while having his expensive and aging win now Defense in place. That was a plan. The offense didn't turn around enough to compensate for a defense that got wrexed.

He's gone now but talk about not having a plan.. look at Juaron and Chan's aimless teams.

Unless you say there's a plan every other day most people will assume there is no plan.  If you say theres a plan every other day people will not only believe there is a plan but they will believe its a good plan without any other information.  That's my take away. 

There's so many of them in the 17 yr playoff drought. But, for me, here's a few of them.

!. Not getting a true franchise qb during the 17yr  drought. Example: in the early 2000's, wasn't Drew Breese  still on the board when the Bills selected somebody else at another

postition?

2. Speaking of that, in 2005, teams were running all over the Bills. So in the 2006 draft, round 1, they select d back Whitner when Gnata was right there for the taking!

3. Hiring jauron, a coach who had a loosing record, and nothing improved over his 3 1/2 year tenure.

4. Drafting Mayben. Was supposed to be our "answer" for the Bills lack of a pass rusher.  What a joke.

So there's my choice few.

Trading Jason Peters, then having Bills fans tell you what an overweight, fat, bum he was, addition by subtraction they said. 

It was embarrassing to have Russ Brandon stand up in front of the crowd at the start of Training Camp and say he had no idea where Jason was, that he hadn’t talked to him since January. 

The other one was hiring Buddy Nix. Again our boy, Russ Brandon, standing up there with Ralph Wilson saying they “scanned a list of names” and narrowed it down to two in-house choices - John Guy and Buddy Nix. 

Nix was a disaster of a GM. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 10:12 AM, THE SLAMMER said:

Right now its the entire Richie Incognito situation

This can be worked out. placing all the blame on Richie is a big mistake.

Like I always say, if the situation makes no sense there is always more to the story.

The Bills are not completely blameless

What the....??

"Right now" as in "a few weeks ago"? 

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Flutie plays, we win, and it ain't even close.   You'll NEVER convince me otherwise ? 

OK then, it sounds like you're saying with Flutie the Bills win the Super Bowl that year.  I love "what if".

Edited by Epstein's Mother

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Unless you say there's a plan every other day most people will assume there is no plan.  If you say theres a plan every other day people will not only believe there is a plan but they will believe its a good plan without any other information.  That's my take away. 

Sounds like a plan...?

...would say RW trying to atone for the Polian debacle by hiring the egotistical control freak Donohole (lost his battle with Cowher)  who insisted on being named "El Presidente", the first in club history.....everything was down hill from there and he was canned....with the Inner Circle of Trust violated, RW begins to plug misfits, has beens and "over the hill gang" with new tires into positions woefully unqualified for...principal reasons for "The Drought" IMO......

For me there are five very distinct WTF moments:

1) Drafting Aaron Maybin

2) Hiring Dick Jauron

3) Drafting Willis McGahee

4) The defensive strategy during their last minute drive on MNF!

5) Totally missing on McCargo and JP Losman. Two 1st rounders that we’re total busts!

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

We didn't trade UP to take EJ. We traded DOWN and took Robert Woods with the pick we got from Lambs.  Too bad EJ didn't work out

3 hours ago, mattynh said:

I thought it was Kiko?  Which turned into Shady McCoy.   I hear about how the Bills traded up for Manuel a lot, as much as it was a bad pick, they knew the QB's were not good and traded back.   I think Nix had a chance to trade back a few more spots but got nervous and pulled out.

It was Kiko. We used our original second round pick to get Woods.

4 hours ago, 4thandGoal said:

trading up to get Sammy

trading up to get Manuel

trading up to get Zay Jones

The Bills did not trade up to get Manuel. They traded DOWN form 8 to 16 and picked up an additional second rounder they used to draft Kiko Alonzo--who eventually was traded for LeSean McCoy. I'd say that was some compensation for the Manuel miss. At the very least don't repeat what is not true.  

6 hours ago, Limeaid said:

He was not at the time, he was a player the Bills spent a lot of work on to just get him to be able to play OT.

A lot of work? If I remember correctly he was a stud SPTeams player (blocked punt at Cinci) and within 2yrs was a starting LT in the NFL that was doing excellent... We should have paid him... 

Johnson over Flutie sucked.

Watching Bruce Smith, then Pat Williams leave stung.

Losing Antoine Winfield was a bummer.

Going "all in" on EJ Manwell was hard to stomach.

But the one that keeps me up at night is losing Jonathan Williams. 

54 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

Drafting Spiller and hiring Rex were things that got me mad immediately when they happened. 

Other things too numerous to list got me mad as they developed over time. 

I actually was excited for the Rex hire as was most of the fan base.  Looking back though - man what a disaster

Hiring Wrex Wyan.

Anyone with a brain knew when it happened that it was a bad decision.

Sure, there have been bad draft picks, and some bad coordinators, but you knew that Wrex was going to dismantle the team, and then bumble through at least a couple seasons before being fired. I pretty much tuned the team out.

Edited by OJABBA

Firing Bill Polian.

Not re-signing Chuck Knox.

Firing Wade Philips.

Firing a coach in less than two years even though he had the best record in the previous 17 years.

Building the stadium in Orchard Park.

Trading up and giving up too much to pick Sammy.

To name a few . . . .

Edited by Peter

Think what made things go downhill was RW hiring Marv as the GM.  Don't think Marv really wanted the job, he left in a couple of years leaving RB  as the next GM.  Don't think he really wanted the job either.  With both of them think the biggest issue was they others make the decisions and just try sand get a consensus.  With RB may have been a case if the choice worked out, he'd take the credit, if it failed, he'd be able to blame others.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Think what made things go downhill was RW hiring Marv as the GM.  Don't think Marv really wanted the job, he left in a couple of years leaving RB  as the next GM.  Don't think he really wanted the job either.  With both of them think the biggest issue was they others make the decisions and just try sand get a consensus.  With RB may have been a case if the choice worked out, he'd take the credit, if it failed, he'd be able to blame others.

I agree.  Basically it seems like Ralph was never the same after Donahoe.  He took a huge leap of faith by giving the most money and control of any Bills GM to date.  From that point on he was reluctant to hire anyone outside of the organization as GM.  Everyone was an internal candidate, really until 2017.  

1 hour ago, OJABBA said:

Hiring Wrex Wyan.

Anyone with a brain knew when it happened that it was a bad decision.

Sure, there have been bad draft picks, and some bad coordinators, but you knew that Wrex was going to dismantle the team, and then bumble through at least a couple seasons before being fired. I pretty much tuned the team out.

I don’t think I would agree that everyone knew.  Most of the Bills fans, and the city of Buffalo were pumped!  In the end it was a terrible decision but at the time, the move energized the city.

20 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I agree.  Basically it seems like Ralph was never the same after Donahoe.  He took a huge leap of faith by giving the most money and control of any Bills GM to date.  From that point on he was reluctant to hire anyone outside of the organization as GM.  Everyone was an internal candidate, really until 2017.  

I don’t think I would agree that everyone knew.  Most of the Bills fans, and the city of Buffalo were pumped!  In the end it was a terrible decision but at the time, the move energized the city.

I said "Anyone with a brain"...

1 hour ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Marv was brought in for one reason - to repair the damage Donahoe did with fandom including having some of the bag heads thrown out.  Donahoe's actions ruined Ralph's faith ([NOTE: You can have faith not connected to religion]) in "professionals".

He was NOT brought in to be a talent scout and did not determine who we drafted, contracts paid, etc.

He DID bring attention to some players including an ex-COE running back he heard from his contracts.

On it's face trading up for a QB with that many question marks is pretty infuriating.

That being said, we fall in love with a player, we end up getting another, then we fall in line.  I'm hoping Allen does well and will support him with all my might.  He's my guy.

• Like (+1) 1

When I read about Russ Brandon telling the pegulas to not let rex leave the building..heres this loudmouth coach who hadn't made the playoffs in nearly half a decade..and actually lost badly to Marrone and Kyle Orton..vaunted defence that couldn't even contain Watkins ..then we hire him as a saviour when his defence hadnt been ranked high in years 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

I saw a lot of Bills fans who knew Rex was a bad HC when he was with the Jets, then coped with the Bills hiring him by temporarily forgetting.  It didn't take long for Rex to remind them that they had been right in the first place.

The Dick Jauron hire.

I live in the Chicago area, and had just seen how awful he was for years. Based on his tenure with the Bears, he shouldn't have even been a consideration at Head Coach. I knew that was destined to be a dumpster fire, & could only watch it happen...