Opinions on why we passed on Rosen?

Rosen was talked about as probably the best pure pocket quarterback in the draft. He was available for the Bills to grab but they passed. 

Any options on why exactly we didn't like him?

-Injury concerns?

-Attitude?

-Concerns about playing in the cold weather?

-Was he just overrated in general?

Thoughts?

Entitlement. Nothing wrong with confidence. You have to earn your place and thinking he deserved this or that based on your entitlement your going to rub people the wrong way. 

You don't want a guy blaming everyone else if the situation isn't ideal. You don't want a guy throwing your organization under the bus if he isn't successful. 

I'm not saying who he is, but if you asked me why we didn't pick him I would use the word entitlement. This girl should sleep with me because I'm a star. This team should pick me first because I'm the best. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just my thoughts but listening/watching some of his interview he comes off as a Tom Brady type person.  Not his football but his attitude.  He sounds competitive but competitive to the point where he would point a finger at someone.  That's not the type of player they want considering they are relieving themselves of "me first" kind of players.

Just my 2 cents.

5 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

Rosen was talked about as probably the best pure pocket quarterback in the draft. He was available for the Bills to grab but they passed. 

-Injury concerns?

-Attitude?

Thoughts?

Injury concerns/ Durability.  Imo Buffalo was high on both of them and at the end of the day value Allen's arm and size for the November December home schedule.  Allen is home in Buffalo.  Long term Allen has a higher ceiling than Rosen.  Allen's floor is higher because its assumed he will be more durable.  

7 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

-Injury concerns?

-Attitude?

Thoughts?

I honestly don't know.  For whatever reason, they obviously

1) had Allen rated above him on their board, and

2) had Allen rated highly enough to be worth trading to #7

So all we can do now is hope Allen is able to do what he says, and make the Bills "look smart" for believing in him.

• Like (+1) 1

Not just Buffalo.. Every team that drafted a Big 4 QB liked other QB's more than him.  Arizona, who drafted him, tried to outbid us for Allen, before settling on Rosen at 10.

Personally, I feel he has a lot of Sam Bradford in him.  A guy who could be a gifted passer but you better keep him upright because he's not very mobile and is very injury prone.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I honestly don't know.  For whatever reason, they obviously

1) had Allen rated above him on their board, and

2) had Allen rated highly enough to be worth trading to #7

So all we can do now is hope Allen is able to do what he says, and make the Bills "look smart" for believing in him.

4 reasons,

2 concussions

1 bum shoulder

1 arrogant SOB with Ryan Leaf Syndrome

Even if Allen's a bust and Rosen is great, he is 1 concussion away from the end of the line!

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

-Injury concerns?

-Attitude?

Thoughts?

I think, for anyone who wanted to listen, that Allen fit the things Beane has been saying he was looking for more than Rosen. IMHO, for better or for worse, I think Allen's physical attributes and athleticism reminded him of Cam Newton, and the inaccuracy issues were of less concern. 

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't catch who was talking on my local sports radio, but he was a guy involved in scouting and drafting at the NFL level. He said that concussions are sometimes an issue that takes a player off the board completely. Maybe it was an issue for some teams in this case.

1 minute ago, Big C said:

I didn't catch who was talking on my local sports radio, but he was a guy involved in scouting and drafting at the NFL level. He said that concussions are sometimes an issue that takes a player off the board completely. Maybe it was an issue for some teams in this case.

I would think durability had to be a major issue. It doesn't matter how talented a player is if he cannot stay on the field

8 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Cause he looks like a twig. My god ive never seen smaller shoulders.

I was watching the draft and my wife came into the room just before the Bills traded with Tampa.  After the pick I told her I was a little bummed they took Allen over Rosen and she looked at Rosen and immediately said, "he looks like he will break."  :lol:

Made my night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Durability concerns, maybe some character issues as well? I also think that it is possible that the Bills simply liked Josh Allen more? Allen has the best are we have seen in a long time, Allen is big and durable, Allen has some speed, and Allen seems to be a bright kid with good character. Yes, his accuracy and footwork are a concern. But if you are a QB under duress constantly with bad WR's in an offense with less high percentage throws those issues do have a context. 

Rosen is said to be intelligent, yet Allen had a significantly higher Wonderlic score.

Rosen may be much closer to his physical and mental ceiling, while Allen has much more perceived upside. 

Rosen's size and injury history has to be a concern for long term durability.  Sam Bradford is a great comparison

Stretching it a bit... if Rosen and Allen are both Pro Bowl players, who do we have the best chance of retaining long term when FA becomes an option, and who is more likely to be a disgruntled employee.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I think, for anyone who wanted to listen, that Allen fit the things Beane has been saying he was looking for more than Rosen. IMHO, for better or for worse, I think Allen's physical attributes and athleticism reminded him of Cam Newton, and the inaccuracy issues were of less concern. 

This is exactly why.  It seems like McDermott and Beane are following the same blueprint they did in Carolina.  Allen gives them a strong armed, athletic QB.  Cam had accuracy issues in college and they were minimized in the NFL, so they think they can do the same with Allen.   

Many of us Bills fans wanted Rosen but it’s clear that the Bills didn’t want him.  This is why we had to overspend at #7, instead of getting him later.  Arizona wanted Allen and our team was not ok with that.

I also think the injury concern was a big factor with why he wasn’t drafted.