Report: Bills Unlikely to Trade Up to No. 2 - Rapoport

sven233

1 minute ago, Carter said:

Must be a smokescreen.  

I really want beane and mcD to be successful and stick with Buffalo, if this is true, bad news for their future. 

If we can't get to 2, and the Jets get their franchise guy at 3, it will be a bad look.  We should have went to three.  We had the ammunition.

I don't buy that the Colts didn't want to drop down that far.  We had the picks to make it worth it.

Hopefully it all works out and we land our guy- but I don't like how it is shaping up...

10 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

When did he say this, because what he is on record saying this week is that he is willing to trade back.

That weekend Ballard did say he was reluctant to move out of the top ten. He qualified that by saying he would consider it later if he got a good offer. This was shortly after the combine, so not really surprising. 

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

This draft cant come soon enough. 

This times 100,000....cripes!

1 hour ago, The_Dude said:

Just land one of the big 3. Land one of the big 3...

And just who are those BIG 3???

1 hour ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

I do not feel Brandon Beane has done a good job of calming the fan base when it comes to QBs.  With quotes like, “QB LEAGUE” or “Finding Franchise QB is GM #1 Job.”

If anything he is purposely not calmed it due to confidence that they will get a QB.

or

he has inadvertently not calmed it due to ignorance.

Dude - I don't think he cares about yours or my feelings right now one freaking iota - not one.  He could care less about how we mentally are blowing up and if anything he is laughing his ass off as he rightly should.  we will get what we get when we get it.  You don;t like it?  I don't like it - well too damn bad for us.  we have ZERO say in this.....ZERO, ZIP, NIL, NADA.

Trade up only if your guy is there and do not overpay.   I doubt that they like all four prospect equally.  I doubt that all will be star players. I trust McBeane to know and I hope they don’t reach.  Those picks could really bolster the team.  

Remember, we moved up to get Losman and traded our next years #1, the 20th pick.  That great move led to missing Aaron Rogers the next year, he went at 24.  

McCarron has the reigns and even if he plays poorly he should get at least 12 games.  There will be qb’s next year too. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

They passed on Watson and Mahomes, traded players to acquire draft capital for an unusually deep draft for qb at the top.  It sure as hell is a failure if they get frozen out on a top qb prospect.

Or could be 4 Christian Ponders. Watson - was a major surprise, not a miss and Mahomes is an unknown.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Did I????  Or Did i call OBD a Failure?  For not being able yo finish their year long plan?

Name your QB if you had the first pick. $ where your mouth is and we will see in three years if you are right. 

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

If they dont come away from Thursday without Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield (Maybe Allen). They failed. And Seat starts getting hot 

If they draft the wrong one seat will be even hotter. Loss of draft capital will set team back years. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I'm guessing it doesn't include the guy that has the interest of 3 playoff teams, two of whom have HoF QBs right now. Of course, we couldn't possibly use him and we HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO move up to get a guy that has health issues, which themselves are directly related to being a statue. 

More yards rushing and more rushing TDs than Saquon Barkley ... in fewer carries. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

When did he say this, because what he is on record saying this week is that he is willing to trade back.

He said it when they made the trade with the Jets, no one on here wanted to listen to that though. Some are stuck on his "speak" of wanting to stay in the top 10....

“We’re still open. You know, we’ll still be open if an opportunity — the right opportunity — presents itself at (No.) 6 to move down,” Ballard said. “But right now we feel pretty good. It would have to be a pretty attractive offer for us to move away from (No.) 6 because the player we think we’re going to get.”

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

If your two draft plan Fails OBD then hot seat time.

Lol Beane wasn't even here last year.

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

I don;t know for sure it depend on how it shakes out.. I assume One of the Big 3 Mayfield Darnold or Rosen.

Its not like I expect this to go down until about half way thru Denver's time on the clock if its to be.

I mean this whole not targeting #2 can also be the Bills releasing some info to see if the Giants blink

For Pete's sake the Giants an Broncos both need QB.  They will probably both take one.  But by all means waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

He said it when they made the trade with the Jets, no one on here wanted to listen to that though. Some are stuck on his "speak" of wanting to stay in the top 10....

“We’re still open. You know, we’ll still be open if an opportunity — the right opportunity — presents itself at (No.) 6 to move down,” Ballard said. “But right now we feel pretty good. It would have to be a pretty attractive offer for us to move away from (No.) 6 because the player we think we’re going to get.”

26 blitz needs to read this.

34 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

I'm guessing it doesn't include the guy that has the interest of 3 playoff teams, two of whom have HoF QBs right now. Of course, we couldn't possibly use him and we HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO move up to get a guy that has health issues, which themselves are directly related to being a statue. 

More yards rushing and more rushing TDs than Saquon Barkley ... in fewer carries. 

If Lamar Jackson wants to play running back for the Bills Id be all for it.  Get it done OBD.

47 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol Beane wasn't even here last year.

For Pete's sake the Giants an Broncos both need QB.  They will probably both take one.  But by all means waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

But the Brancos have publicly put the pick up for sale so there's that... Unless this has changed? 

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

If they dont come away from Thursday without Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield (Maybe Allen). They failed. And Seat starts getting hot 

Even though it sounded like they were going for the 5th or 6th QB since Beane had his first press conference, I agree with this. It might be the right thing to do, build the team, but I just don't know how you explain the Jets moving to three and you not drafting a top QB after you said that was your intent last year.

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

This times 100,000....cripes!

Dude - I don't think he cares about yours or my feelings right now one freaking iota - not one.  He could care less about how we mentally are blowing up and if anything he is laughing his ass off as he rightly should.  we will get what we get when we get it.  You don;t like it?  I don't like it - well too damn bad for us.  we have ZERO say in this.....ZERO, ZIP, NIL, NADA.

Don’t sell yourself so short.

its the quotes that sports figures make, which get used against them when things get bad.  That is why so many in sports say so little.  they only create more rope from which to hang themselves later.

Brandon Beane tells the world “getting a franchise QB is the GM #1 Job.”  So if he doesn’t do it...he has basically hung himself.

and should the team be bad in 2018...Brandon Beane will have failed to get a franchise QB, built one of the worst teams in the NFL and he will have admitted he failed as a GM.

these are the type of quotes fans and media use to bury a ownership under so much public pressure that they then feel compelled to make a personnel change.

Edited by RalphWilson'sNewWar

6 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

Or could be 4 Christian Ponders. Watson - was a major surprise, not a miss and Mahomes is an unknown.

Name your QB if you had the first pick. $ where your mouth is and we will see in three years if you are right. 

Rosen 

6 hours ago, noacls said:

If they draft the wrong one seat will be even hotter. Loss of draft capital will set team back years. 

So incorrect. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

You only move to 2 if you feel there is one guy that is way above the others at the QB spot, and he's the guy you have to have.  That's why going to three wouldn't have mattered; to get the one guy you'd want you have to be at 1 or at worst 2.  If not, if you have all 4 say ranked similarly, then wait.  Move somewhere between 5-9 to get your guy.  If you have the top 6 guys all ranked similarly then there's probably no need to move at all.

Since last year all the experts here have claimed any one of the top 6 guys as the guy the Bills have to get.  Doesn't matter what anyone thinks here - only matters what Beane and his scouts have figured out.  Plus, it is not just drafting a QB that is important.  it is drafting the RIGHT QB.  I trust Beane has a better idea about that than I do.

I think the huge unknown in the Bills' draft room is what McD values most -- moving up and getting the "franchise guy" at QB, or believing "the process" will work with McCarron/Peterman/later round QB and building the roster with all of those high draft choices.

Both sides have their arguments pro and con...I get the feeling Beane is in the "get the QB" camp and I wonder if there is any sort of struggle internally on this point...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Then we'll end up with a sh** QB if this happens. I doubt Rosen, Mayfield, or Darnold will be there for us at 5, so what's the point in trading up to that spot?

Let the chips play out. Its out of our hands and there is nothing you and I can do about it..

But the fact remains we ain't making it to #2, and nobody is going to make a Ditka/Wiliams type of trade for any of these QB's. The only other option is 5.

I truly only see 2 QB's gone before 5. #1 Mayfield Darnold or Allen, #2 I see the Giants passing on QB, so that leaves the Jets at #3

Just now, ddaryl said:

Let the chips play out. Its out of our hands and there is nothing you and I can do about it..

But the fact remains we ain't making it to #2, and nobody is going to make a Ditka/Wiliams type of trade for any of these QB's. The only other option is 5.

I truly only see 2 QB's gone before 5. #1 Mayfield Darnold or Allen, #2 I see the Giants passing on QB, so that leaves the Jets at #3

If the Browns take Rosen, Mayfield or Allen, I can easily see the Giants taking Darnold and the Jets taking either Rosen or Mayfield, leaving the Bills to trade up for Allen in pure desperation.

Just now, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

If the Browns take Rosen, Mayfield or Allen, I can easily see the Giants taking Darnold and the Jets taking either Rosen or Mayfield, leaving the Bills to trade up for Allen in pure desperation.

I'm in the camp that the Giants want to win with Eli so they'll take another position

Edited by ddaryl

3 minutes ago, eball said:

I think the huge unknown in the Bills' draft room is what McD values most -- moving up and getting the "franchise guy" at QB, or believing "the process" will work with McCarron/Peterman/later round QB and building the roster with all of those high draft choices.

Both sides have their arguments pro and con...I get the feeling Beane is in the "get the QB" camp and I wonder if there is any sort of struggle internally on this point...

I don't think this is even debatable.  The only thing that will stop Beane from trading into top 5 will be an unwilling partner on the other side.  Two of the top 5 aren't moving, and one (Giants) don't appear to want to move. 

Just now, GG said:

I don't think this is even debatable.  The only thing that will stop Beane from trading into top 5 will be an unwilling partner on the other side.  Two of the top 5 aren't moving, and one (Giants) don't appear to want to move. 

I dunno...I envision McD as a coach who thinks he can get it done even without the "superstar" QB on the roster.  But I hope you're right.

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

I'm in the camp that the Giants want to win with Eli so they'll take another position

Yea they want to win with Eli NOW, but when are they ever gonna be in this kinda position to draft his successor? Especially with a chance to draft Darnold or Rosen, you honestly think they're gonna pass up on this chance? Eli's got 2 years MAX IMO and I don't see them drafting in the top 5 again. 

Just now, eball said:

I dunno...I envision McD as a coach who thinks he can get it done even without the "superstar" QB on the roster.  But I hope you're right.

McDermott may say that publicly, but there's no doubt that Beane and the rest of the front office are working like hell to move up.  McDermott is not an idiot to think that he can win just as easily with McCarron/Peterman as he can with a top QB.

2 minutes ago, eball said:

You don't need a superstar QB to make it to the show but you better have the best defense and best running game in the league to make it there.

3 minutes ago, QuoteTheRaven83 said:

Yea they want to win with Eli NOW, but when are they ever gonna be in this kinda position to draft his successor? Especially with a chance to draft Darnold or Rosen, you honestly think they're gonna pass up on this chance? Eli's got 2 years MAX IMO and I don't see them drafting in the top 5 again. 

Sure if they can parlay some draft capital into next year they'll have plenty of ammunition. NYG have to decide win now or rebuild around a new QB there is no in between IMO that how you end up short on both sides.

If I"m gambling I bet the Gonads either trade out or pass on a QB and take another position. I could be very wrong but that is the way I feel it will happen

Edited by ddaryl