Baker Mayfield

22 minutes ago, RussellDopeland said:

Please be wrong. Mayfield screams imbecilic jackass- Bourbon, Manziel, with a sprightly twist of Ryan Leaf.

Anyone who has ever gotten drunk in college is just like johnny manziel. And baker is all about himself, not the team have you ever once heard him talk about the college team he played for, nope. 

I was waiting for the "insider source" connecting us to Mayfield. We have now officially been connected with every one of the top 4 QBs. I still have a hunch that we secretly love Mayfield but this report from Jeremy White doesn't make that more likely.

#1) I think the draft will unfold with Darnold as the #1 player off the board to Cleveland.

#20 NY Giants since trading JPP wants a pass rusher in Chubb.

#3) The NY Jets get so excited they fall six times running to the podium to select RB Sequon Barkley. 

#4) Cleveland is pissed they missed Barkley so they go CB in Minkah Fitzpatrick

#5) The Broncos have their choice of Rosen, Mayfield, Allen and they go Rosen.

#6) Indy wanted Chubb and since he didn't fall to them they trade out to Buffalo who selects either Mayfield or Allen. Or they stay put and draft OG Quinton Nelson to protect Luck. 

25 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

A couple things.  His stat sheet and 4 years of experience are unique in this draft.  By far the most accurate thrower and has some "gunslinger" in him. 

I guess this makes sense if we stay at 12 and see the top 3 guys taken in picks 1-5, a neighborhood we may not be able to move into.  Teams wanting a QB or RB Barkley or DE Chubb may not want to trade down.  Baker would seem to be the odd man out if only 3 QBs taken in first 5 picks. 

Baker Mayfield has some McD qualities - Baker is notable for being the first walk-on true freshman quarterback (Texas Tech) to start a season opener at a BCS school.  Then he walked on and won job at Oklahoma.  I believe McD walked on at William and Mary.  Both were thought to be undersized players as well.

I would be fine with him as our pick at 12 or with a trade to leapfrog Dolphins (say to # 10 or #9).  

Same, the kid is a winner and that same attitude we have seen before.

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

There really isn't a better fit in this draft than Baker and Buffalo.

Baker is the one player that I will be legit angry and disappointed if the Bills don't get him on draft day.

and vice versa I will legit angry and disappointed if the Bills do get him on draft day. As I've seen countless former Heisman trophy QBs enter the league and countless of them bust, add to it he's undersized and playing from a spread offense in college screams not NFL QB. Give me Rosen, Darnold or Rudolph (at pick 22) or don't draft a QB in Round 1. 

1 hour ago, RussellDopeland said:

Please be wrong. Mayfield screams imbecilic jackass- Bourbon, Manziel, with a sprightly twist of Ryan Leaf.

^ Is a pretty lazy take.  Give examples why.  Explain yourself.  Or don't and sound like a troll.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

I feel that Mayfield is a great fit for the Jets, where-as I feel that Rudolph is a great fit for the Bills.  Grab the top ILB at 12 and then grab Rudolph at 22.  

Let's Do This Buffalo!!!!!

Doesn't Rudolph have the smallest hands and weakest arm of the group?

I see alot of validity to us liking Baker Mayfield for  several reasons. 

• He's a 4-year college performer, who won alot, and was a team captain. I think that these player traits are very big to McBeane,  and with all their talk  about process, mindset, and culture, Mayfield totally  fits this criteria. 
  • Mayfield is great in  the pocket, laser accurate (premium for our decision makers IMO), and can make plays with his feet if need be.
  • He can be had probably as early as 4, but might slide  to 7 or 8. This way, we will not have to give up nearly as much as we would to move up to #2. If he slide to #6, and we traded with Indy, we'd probably still have both 2nd's and both 3rd's.
  • McBeane  are methodical and smart. They know what the fans want, and I think they care what the fans want, to a certain extent. Not that they will pick Mayfield just to make us happy, but I think its also appealing to them to draft Mayfield b/c it be a great perceived move on  their part. 
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Batman1876 said:

I have a #6 Colton Schmidt jersey. Baker would render my jersey obsolete so I think he’s a monster. 

holy crap I didn't think about this..... I too have a schmidtty jersey and have wanted Mayfield all along. how did this get by me? 

Few are more plugged in to Buffalo, than J-White.  He’s usually very closely tied.  He has some great, great sources.  I believe there’s smoke here.  I don’t think Baker is their top guy, but I do believe he’s an incredible #2 or fallback option.  

• Like (+1) 2

BTW, here are 2 scenario's I could see very much playing out....

Scenario #1 (aggressive & we "get" our  guy)

1. Cleveland- Darnold

2. NYG- Chubb/Barkley

3. Jets- Rosen/Allen

4. Cleveland (Trade w/ Bills)- We give up 12, 22, & 53 (2350 value, which is 550 more value points @4 spot). We are taking no chances with Denver. We want either Rosen/Mayfield/Allen (in that order).

Scenario #2 (more patient & give up less, and take a chance of Denver passing on  a QB)

1. Cleveland- Darnold

2. NYG- Chubb/Barkley

3. Jets- Rosen/Allen

4. Cleveland- Chubb/Barkley

5. Denver- Nelson/Rosen/Allen. Some will say, where's Mayfield, but IMHO, I think if, big if, Denver takes a QB, I believe they covet Rosen/Allen much more than Mayfield.

6. Indy (trade w/ Bills)- We give up 12 & 22 (1980 value vs. 1700 value  @ pick 6). We take Mayfield here or possibly Allen or Rosen if they slip. Plus, we still have both 2nd's, and both 3rd's

what say you??

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Remeber when folks said that about colt McCoy? 

I loved Colt McCoy and even I knew he wouldn't be taken above the second round. 

The Jets are taking him at 3.

They'll take Rosen, book it. 

Edited by BillsEnthusiast
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, kdiggz said:

I don't believe that for a second. I'm not sure why but I'm having a hard time putting any faith into Jeremy White's "sabres guy." If anything that would be them admitting defeat and saying they would take him if that's all that's left if they can't trade up to the top 5. Or a smoke screen to get Allen or Rosen to fall. I like Mayfield and think he can be very good but I don't think anyone at the top "covets" him when there are other better built QB's with more natural talent. Maybe they like his attitude and his commitment. It fits their underdog mentality. But they would only take him if that's all that's left imo

I think think that there is much more to playing QB in the NFL than who has the most physical tools.  Leadership, drive, preparation and ability to quickly process what you see are as important (maybe more important) in my mind.

Looking at some of the all time greats: Montana, Brady, Manning - none of them had the strongest arms or were the most physically talented.

20 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

and vice versa I will legit angry and disappointed if the Bills do get him on draft day. As I've seen countless former Heisman trophy QBs enter the league and countless of them bust, add to it he's undersized and playing from a spread offense in college screams not NFL QB. Give me Rosen, Darnold or Rudolph (at pick 22) or don't draft a QB in Round 1. 

right. that's a greeeaatttt reason not to draft a guy..... solid reasoning, bro.