Baker Mayfield

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Not buying this. They’ve admitted they are blowing smoke and Mayfield fits the McBean dna the least. 

Last year all the Bills picks were 4 year starters and team captains. Baker is the only one that fits that profile. He is also similar to Cam in terms of behavior. 

• Like (+1) 9

4 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

You could just cover up the name and "Rename" the Jersey...

I’ll wear my “Mayfield” jersey on draft day. I’ll either look like I’m the first one on the band wagon or a giant tool. I’m fine either way. 

Edited by Batman1876
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

At this point who the hell knows.....but I'll say this, while I'm not a big Mayfield fan because I think his stupid antics are childish behavior are causes for concern - in that can he mature and grow into a true NFL leader of men on and off the field - and I'm concerned even more about his ability to pass from a collapsing pocket that doesn't have a 3 yard circumference to pass from, you can't ignore that he has good arm strength, good accuracy, and real tenacity to compete. Those are things I can support. As for the rest, I have to hope he can be smarter, mature, and of course that he'll be able to pass from a dirty pocket (ooooooh, that sounded like a Vegas strip club :D).....

And in the end, I don't understand people who say, "If the Bills Draft ______, I'm so done with this team!".....the Bills Draft him, I will support him until he proves he doesn't deserve it. Whether I agree, like or dislike the selection, because at the end of the day, he hasn't even worn the jersey on the field yet, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. This also goes for if the Bills stand pat at 12 and take a MLB like Smith and keep all their picks....either way, Beane and company have my vote of confidence...IMHO, they've earned it.

NO! :angry:

They do some sort of grandpa Buddy Nix BS dumbass off point put you to sleep pick with our first one, Oh man. 

11 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I don't believe that for a second. I'm not sure why but I'm having a hard time putting any faith into Jeremy White's "sabres guy." If anything that would be them admitting defeat and saying they would take him if that's all that's left if they can't trade up to the top 5. Or a smoke screen to get Allen or Rosen to fall. I like Mayfield and think he can be very good but I don't think anyone at the top "covets" him when there are other better built QB's with more natural talent. Maybe they like his attitude and his commitment. It fits their underdog mentality. But they would only take him if that's all that's left imo

:lol:

18 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

There really isn't a better fit in this draft than Baker and Buffalo.

Baker is the one player that I will be legit angry and disappointed if the Bills don't get him on draft day.

Because he’s so much like Tyrod? 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Not buying this. They’ve admitted they are blowing smoke and Mayfield fits the McBean dna the least. 

I think he fits the DNA pretty well.  He may not be a choir boy like Darnold, but you won't find anyone more competitive and more dedicated to winning in this draft than Baker Mayfield.  Personally I don't think it is the end of the world that he got arrested.  He was a drunk college kid and he made a mistake.  There are plenty of very good and successful people who have made similar mistakes when they were young. 

If he had stolen or beaten up a woman then yes, I wouldn't want him to come here because that would tell you a lot about the quality of person he is.  If you are in your early 20's and beating up women, you are likely a scumbag for life.  Getting drunk and running from the police is not a good look, but I don't think it is a great indicator of the type of character Baker Mayfield has.  All of his teammates seem to love  him and I think that is a truer indicator of the type of person he is.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

If Mayfield comes here, he would definitely be electric to the city.  Mayfield would embrace Bills Mafia and he would get the fans pumped during the games.

and mayfield now has his first stalker.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, JinxedBill1 said:

Baker screams Jets to me.  IMO.

I tend to believe the Woody Johnson Trump stuff is real with Rosen.  I've seen Mort and other guys say the QBs will go off the board Darnold - Allen - Mayfield - Rosen.  Baker absolutely feels like a Jets pick, the guy who'll grab the headlines.

I think it's pretty clear everything hinges on the Giants.  If they take a QB, I think it's panic time.  If they pass, there's a chance Denver passes too and leaves us with 2 guys we could potentially like and a very manageable move up the draft board.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

At this point who the hell knows.....but I'll say this, while I'm not a big Mayfield fan because I think his stupid antics are childish behavior are causes for concern - in that can he mature and grow into a true NFL leader of men on and off the field - and I'm concerned even more about his ability to pass from a collapsing pocket that doesn't have a 3 yard circumference to pass from, you can't ignore that he has good arm strength, good accuracy, and real tenacity to compete. Those are things I can support. As for the rest, I have to hope he can be smarter, mature, and of course that he'll be able to pass from a dirty pocket (ooooooh, that sounded like a Vegas strip club :D).....

And in the end, I don't understand people who say, "If the Bills Draft ______, I'm so done with this team!".....the Bills Draft him, I will support him until he proves he doesn't deserve it. Whether I agree, like or dislike the selection, because at the end of the day, he hasn't even worn the jersey on the field yet, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. This also goes for if the Bills stand pat at 12 and take a MLB like Smith and keep all their picks....either way, Beane and company have my vote of confidence...IMHO, they've earned it.

Actually, Vegas takes pride in their strip clubs. Very classy. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I think he fits the DNA pretty well.  He may not be a choir boy like Darnold, but you won't find anyone more competitive and more dedicated to winning in this draft than Baker Mayfield.  Personally I don't think it is the end of the world that he got arrested.  He was a drunk college kid and he made a mistake.  There are plenty of very good and successful people who have made similar mistakes when they were young. 

If he had stolen or beaten up a woman then yes, I wouldn't want him to come here because that would tell you a lot about the quality of person he is.  If you are in your early 20's and beating up women, you are likely a scumbag for life.  Getting drunk and running from the police is not a good look, but I don't think it is a great indicator of the type of character Baker Mayfield has.  All of his teammates seem to love  him and I think that is a truer indicator of the type of person he is.

Just playing devil's advocate because I think you're probably right, but there were reports coming out of the Senior Bowl that teams thought Mayfield came across as entitled and that Allen wanted it more than him

A couple things.  His stat sheet and 4 years of experience are unique in this draft.  By far the most accurate thrower and has some "gunslinger" in him. 

I guess this makes sense if we stay at 12 and see the top 3 guys taken in picks 1-5, a neighborhood we may not be able to move into.  Teams wanting a QB or RB Barkley or DE Chubb may not want to trade down.  Baker would seem to be the odd man out if only 3 QBs taken in first 5 picks. 

Baker Mayfield has some McD qualities - Baker is notable for being the first walk-on true freshman quarterback (Texas Tech) to start a season opener at a BCS school.  Then he walked on and won job at Oklahoma.  I believe McD walked on at William and Mary.  Both were thought to be undersized players as well.

I would be fine with him as our pick at 12 or with a trade to leapfrog Dolphins (say to # 10 or #9).  

Edited by freddyjj

4 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I don’t care that he got arrested and grabbed his junk on camera, but I’m pretty sure McDermott does. 

I’m more concerned how easily the arresting officer was able to tackle him. No escapability.

I also saw elements of the offensive system he was in to allow him to see his WRs that will be hard to replicate at the next level. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Last year all the Bills picks were 4 year starters and team captains. Baker is the only one that fits that profile. He is also similar to Cam in terms of behavior. 

So does Mason Rudolph and I think Lamar Jackson. 

Edited by Thurmanator 12074

11 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I tend to believe the Woody Johnson Trump stuff is real with Rosen.  I've seen Mort and other guys say the QBs will go off the board Darnold - Allen - Mayfield - Rosen.  Baker absolutely feels like a Jets pick, the guy who'll grab the headlines.

I think it's pretty clear everything hinges on the Giants.  If they take a QB, I think it's panic time.  If they pass, there's a chance Denver passes too and leaves us with 2 guys we could potentially like and a very manageable move up the draft board.

Which is why I don’t belive we will see any moves before draft day

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

33 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Let him drop

I hope he does drop to us & if he doesn't i've just got a good feeling about Rudolph if we got him i would be happy with that pick !!

He is the "prototypical" size & his college stats seem to say he has the tangibles that could be coached up by Dabol !

Either of those picks would be good I just hope they don't sell the farm to trade up we need all the picks we can get !! 

21 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Good point, and I think the the Bills FO puts a premium on these traits. Mayfield screams like he is a McDermott/Beane "guy"

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Remeber when folks said that about colt McCoy? 

The guy that was a late 3rd round pick in a terrible QB class? I don't really recall many outside of Texas fanboys thinking he had any shot at a HOF career; I'm pretty sure he was generally regarded as a low-ceiling guy.

12 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Which is why I don’t belive we will see any moves before draft day

I think if the Giants decide there's not a "Hall of Fame" talent (what they are said to be looking for) they'll quickly move to deal the pick.  Beane can't get caught sleeping on that one too.

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
Just now, DCOrange said:

Just playing devil's advocate because I think you're probably right, but there were reports coming out of the Senior Bowl that teams thought Mayfield came across as entitled and that Allen wanted it more than him

I take reports like that with a large grain of salt.  Almost all reporters have an agenda.  Also, I have met plenty of people in my life that I didn't like at first and became friends with them later.  You don't know a person from meeting them a couple of times in group settings.  His confidence/cockiness may be abrasive, but that doesn't define him as a person.  Just because he is cocky doesn't mean he won't do anything he can to help his teammates and other people.  Most of the stories I have heard from the people around the OU program is that he is universally loved by his teammates.  Of course there is bias there but there is just a lot of noise out there right now.  Writers who probably don't have great access to Mayfield still have deadlines to meet and I believe much of what is reported about him and other players in any draft should not be taken as the whole truth.