Baker Mayfield

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

and you have something to back up that claim?.... as qb's go Mayfield is fairly impressive physically. he's built like a running back from the waste down.

again watch brees at purdue and then Mayfield and tell me who looks like the better athlete on the field. you are just tossing crap out onto the wall and hoping it sticks with no real evidence to back it up.

Your counters provide no more evidence than my posts. I watched both QBs a lot.  Time will tell who is right.  I know many on this board love Mayfield.  I like his passion a lot.  I just don't think he will be a good NFL QB.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I will be.

12 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Aaron Rodgers is the most naturally talented QB in NFL history.

Baker Mayfield is not Aaron Rodgers.

OK if you think so.. I think Peyton Manning or Tom Brady would like to get in on this debate

I can only assume this is an attempt at some sort of humor or sarcasm but I missed

1 minute ago, Keukasmallie said:

Ya gotta just love the comment above indicating that Mayfield is "...built like a running back from the waste down."  Some who have been around Mayfield would propose that his head is a more true location of waste.

haahaha. I definitely misspelled that didn't I? yikes

19 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

So let me get this straight, Baker Mayfield fans.

Manziel compariaons are "lazy", yet all of you will be quick to compare him to Russell Wilson or Drew Brees based strictly on his height.

I'm enjoying the backflips you all are performing to excuse his behavioral flaws...and height.

People point to those QBs as examples of how short QBs with talent can succeed in different ways. 

As for the Manziel comparisons being lazy see if you can spot the difference.

Baker- Got Drunk and (poorly) attempted to run from police. Goes too far taunting the other team, crotch grab, flag plant, throwing a football at them. 

Johnny Football- Arrested for fighting and having a fake id, Kicked out of frat party for underage drinking and behavior with multiple video's surfacing, Kicked out of manning passing academy,  tweeted about wanting to leave A&M as soon as possible, violated NCAA rules by selling autographs, got drunk and passed out on an inflatable swan, parents publicly stated they were concerned he would not be able to handle stardom. 

Baker- One time mistake with police, needs to better direct his competitive fire. 

Manziel- History of alcohol abuse, evidence that he puts his desire to drink ahead of rules and football, his own parents are concerned about him. 

So yes its lazy because the heart of Manziel's problems were his addiction, he was an addict in college, and it tanked him in the NFL.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

People point to those QBs as examples of how short QBs with talent can succeed in different ways. 

Baker- Got Drunk and (poorly) attempted to run from police. Goes too far taunting the other team, crotch grab, flag plant, throwing a football at them. 

Johnny Football- Arrested for fighting and having a fake id, Kicked out of frat party for underage drinking and behavior with multiple video's surfacing, Kicked out of manning passing academy,  tweeted about wanting to leave A&M as soon as possible, violated NCAA rules by selling autographs, got drunk and passed out on an inflatable swan, parents publicly stated they were concerned he would not be able to handle stardom. 

Baker- One time mistake with police, needs to better direct his competitive fire. 

Manziel- History of alcohol abuse, evidence that he puts his desire to drink ahead of rules and football, his own parents are concerned about him. 

So yes its lazy because the heart of Manziel's problems were his addiction, he was an addict in college, and it tanked him in the NFL.  

JM came from a rich family and acted like it ...

BM walked...walked...onto two teams to become starter...acts like he has a chip on his shoulder

Has there been any word about the Cardinals trading up? With Bradford on only a one year deal they definitely need to get a guy this year. Them and Miami could be wildcards. I think Mayfield is the most likely (out of him/Rosen/Allen/Darnold) to last past the top 5 if Denver is out of the QB market, so we may have to leapfrog Miami and hope Arizona doesn't blindside us first. 

3 hours ago, ******* said:

2F644A01-3B41-4205-9E93-358DAD846971.png

Well, he does make the most sense in terms of potential...for getting drunk, jumping on tables and running from the police.    That skill set certainly is the best "fit" in the draft, if that's what we're looking for...

1 hour ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Maybe; but it will be a mistake they can afford to make. They'll get Barkley three picks later and taking the "safe" QB first overall would be the percentage play. No matter what, with everything else they've accumulated and will accumulate in this draft, they will become the Seattle Seahawks for the next five years.

Darnold won't help them remendously, but he won't hurt them either. 

But the Jets? Get ready to face Baker Mayfield twice a year for the next 10 years. That man's swagger was meant for bright lights.

Maybe I am missing the point, but are you saying that you think that Darnold will be a good starting QB, but he won't help Cleveland much by just being good?  Are you saying that only a HOF-level QB can really help a team, unless the team is stacked around a lesser QB?

If yes, then I agree that you need more than a good QB.  You need talent around almost any QB to succeed. 

Can an all-time great like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Montana lift the players around him to heights that they couldn't achieve otherwise?  Yes, but those all-time great QBs are VERY rare.  To make a team building plan dependent on getting an all-time great HOF QB is not very realistic.  Sure, you can *hope* that you find an all-time great, but you need to have a plan to succeed with a merely good QB.

3 hours ago, kdiggz said:

I don't believe that for a second. I'm not sure why but I'm having a hard time putting any faith into Jeremy White's "sabres guy." If anything that would be them admitting defeat and saying they would take him if that's all that's left if they can't trade up to the top 5. Or a smoke screen to get Allen or Rosen to fall. I like Mayfield and think he can be very good but I don't think anyone at the top "covets" him when there are other better built QB's with more natural talent. Maybe they like his attitude and his commitment. It fits their underdog mentality. But they would only take him if that's all that's left imo

I don’t get why people say things like this are a “smokescreen” to get other QBs to fall.  That doesn’t make sense, it’s not like the teams in front of us are going to pick a different QB because of who we want at 12.  And it’s not like they pick a second time right behind us and want to take a 2nd QB, so Bills need to influence their decision in front of us.  I mean who we covet at 12 has no impact on the teams in front of us when they are on the clock.

Now that being said, “sources” have said we cover all of the top 6 QBs essentially now.  So none of this means anything in this tweet.

I would not be surprised. He is a senior, has a passion for the game, has a huge arm, and is accurate. He has every trait the Bills are looking for except size. You won't check all the boxes unless you have the first overall pick though.

Mayfield will fit in great in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Maybe I am missing the point, but are you saying that you think that Darnold will be a good starting QB, but he won't help Cleveland much by just being good?  Are you saying that only a HOF-level QB can really help a team, unless the team is stacked around a lesser QB?

If yes, then I agree that you need more than a good QB.  You need talent around almost any QB to succeed. 

Can an all-time great like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Montana lift the players around him to heights that they couldn't achieve otherwise?  Yes, but those all-time great QBs are VERY rare.  To make a team building plan dependent on getting an all-time great HOF QB is not very realistic.  Sure, you can *hope* that you find an all-time great, but you need to have a plan to succeed with a merely good QB.

I would certainly agree with everything you said.

There have been four or five transformative QBs in my long lifetime and this draft maybe, MAYBE has one and I personally think it's Mayfield. Certainly the statistics bear out my opinion but that's just hot air. Admittedly.

The point I am making is that the Browns, by the end of this draft will have done everything they need to so they can succeed without Tom Brady at the helm.

Like LDT helped Rivers, like Elliott made the difference for Prescott, like the entire roster build up helped Wilson, like Shady covered for TT, I think Saquon Elliott (combined with Landry et al) means that the Browns just have go for par at QB. Darnold puts the ball down the fairway.

Post Script: ... and I'll do some stream of consciousness writing here ... I've said over and again that I think Mayfield should go #1 overall. After a moment of less emotion, I'm probably wrong on that as you see above. God help the Bills if that kid goes to NYC and we have to play him twice a year. He's tailor made for living in the big city like no other professional athlete I can recall since Joe Willie Namath.

There isn't a chance in the world that the NYJ pass on the next Namath to take a tennis player. If you think otherwise, you haven't spent a lifetime reading the NYDN and the NYP every day. (I'm hoping the Gmen also want to win that back page war and are amenable to trading #2 to Buffalo.)

Cheers to you, old timer. 

• Like (+1) 1

This is the time of year where everything you here is wrong.  What teams thought before the combine is still closer to what is real.  IF Buffalo leaves the draft with any of the top 5 Qbs I will be happy.  The questions is which one do they covet and what are they willing to give up to get them,.  The more time goes on i think the Bills have it some combination of Darnold, Allen, and Jackson.  I could be wrong.  Rosen could be in there or Mayfield but Beane is a height weight speed guy and they are the ones that check off those boxes.  

Edited by Mat68

1 minute ago, Tyrod's friend said:

I would certainly agree with everything you said.

There have been four or five transformative QBs in my long lifetime and this draft maybe, MAYBE has one and I personally think it's Mayfield. Certainly the statistics bear out my opinion but that's just hot air. Admittedly.

The point I am making is that the Browns, by the end of this draft will have done everything they need to so they can succeed without Tom Brady at the helm.

Like LDT helped Rivers, like Elliott made the difference for Prescott, like the entire roster build up helped Wilson, like Shady covered for TT, I think Saquon Elliott (combined with Landry et al) means that the Browns just have go for par at QB. Darnold puts the ball down the fairway.

Post Script: ... and I'll do some stream of consciousness writing here ... I've said over and again that I think Mayfield should go #1 overall. After a moment of less emotion, I'm probably wrong on that as you see above. God help the Bills if that kid goes to NYC and we have to play him twice a year. He's tailor made for living in the big city like no other professional athlete I can recall since Joe Willie Namath.

There isn't a chance in the world that the NYJ pass on the next Namath to take a tennis player. If you think otherwise, you haven't spent a lifetime reading the NYDN and the NYP every day. (I'm hoping the Gmen also want to win that back page war and are amenable to trading #2 to Buffalo.)

Cheers to you, old timer. 

We are in agreement. Cleveland is sitting VERY pretty as it is going into this draft.  They have a very good chance to get a good or better starting QB and to get another excellent prospect at another position at pick 4.  That is before we even see that they have the first and 4th or 5th picks in round 2.  They have 4 of the first 35 picks in the draft and they already had some good defensive talent on that team.

If they are patient with the QB they draft and let Taylor play until the rookie is ready (perhaps all year), they could be set for quite some time.

The flip-side of this is exactly why I would not like to see the Bills trade too much to move up for a QB.  I could be on-board with trading 12 and 22, but I wouldn't really like to give up any picks next year and would ideally like to hold 53, 56 and 65 as well.  If the *right* guy (in the Bills' minds) is there, I could see giving up 12, 22, and 53.  I think the price is going to be too steep for my blood to get into the top 4, so I'd be content to sit and wait to see how the top 5 plays out then decide if a move up to 6 or so is worth it for whomever is left.

Like most, I don't know who among Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Jackson will be any good, heck I have a feeling that someone like Rudolph, Lauletta or White will end up being better than at least 1 of the "top" group. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Batman1876 said:

Doesn't really matter.  The Bills aren't drafting him.

3 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I think if the Giants decide there's not a "Hall of Fame" talent (what they are said to be looking for) they'll quickly move to deal the pick.  Beane can't get caught sleeping on that one too.

But who do they take at #2 if Darnold goes 1?

2 hours ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Doesn't Rudolph have the smallest hands and weakest arm of the group?

QB16

MASON RUDOLPH

QB  Oklahoma St.

Photo of MASON RUDOLPH

Grade
  • 4.90 SEC 40 yard dash
    26.0 INCH vertical jump
  • 6'3" Height
  • 32 3/8" Arm Length
  • 235LBS. Weight
  • 9 1/8" Hands
Edited by PIZ

3 hours ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

I think he fits the DNA pretty well.  He may not be a choir boy like Darnold, but you won't find anyone more competitive and more dedicated to winning in this draft than Baker Mayfield.  Personally I don't think it is the end of the world that he got arrested.  He was a drunk college kid and he made a mistake.  There are plenty of very good and successful people who have made similar mistakes when they were young. 

If he had stolen or beaten up a woman then yes, I wouldn't want him to come here because that would tell you a lot about the quality of person he is.  If you are in your early 20's and beating up women, you are likely a scumbag for life.  Getting drunk and running from the police is not a good look, but I don't think it is a great indicator of the type of character Baker Mayfield has.  All of his teammates seem to love  him and I think that is a truer indicator of the type of person he is.

They will certainly interview his buddies to see if he has ever stolen their woman.

1 hour ago, Will-GM-for-food said:

Has there been any word about the Cardinals trading up? With Bradford on only a one year deal they definitely need to get a guy this year. Them and Miami could be wildcards. I think Mayfield is the most likely (out of him/Rosen/Allen/Darnold) to last past the top 5 if Denver is out of the QB market, so we may have to leapfrog Miami and hope Arizona doesn't blindside us first. 

There are LOTS of rumors out there about Arizona looking to trade up for a QB.  Wouldn't surprise me one bit.

8 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Doesn't really matter.  The Bills aren't drafting him.

My source says differently, and My source is EF Hutton and when EF Hutton speaks people listen

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Russ Brandon is salivating at the idea of baker mayfield in buffalo 

Oh the sales pitch he could make in regards to tickets, merchandise, ect., ect., ect. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

well the 26th is my birthday..... i'm gonna have to email them and ask if its possible, when they select him, if he could jump out of a cake..... birthday suit optional.

So you like punch and pie?

• Haha (+1) 1