Baker Mayfield

On 3/17/2018 at 2:41 AM, Rob's House said:

If we trade into the top 5 he's probably available, but do we want him? He's got a great arm, good accuracy, good mobility, picks up the blitz well, and by all accounts is a grest leader, but Baker is a stupid first name. I say pass.

What say you?

I don't know, he has passion but it seems to be misguided, anyone just blowing off his height and just mentioning Drew Brees/Russell Wilson must understand that their size isn't the norm, most QB's that small don't often succeed. Almost all of the elite QB's in the league are on the taller side other than Brees/Wilson... Ben Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, etc. The guy will totally have to change his attitude once in the league because veterans aren't going to put up with his BS especially if we aren't winning games. 

Sorry to go off topic, but if Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson had a son together, would they name him Jackson Allen or Allen Jackson? I suppose it depends if the kid was a talented country vocalist. Can’t find a thread on this anywhere. Help. 

• Haha (+1) 2

Sorry to get back on topic, but reading the deluge of the qbs available this year, I am not sold on any of them as a sure thing.  I an in favor of staying at 12 and follow our draft board. Pick the best qb that falls to us either at 12 or 22 . 

This draft has too much talent at other positions to give up the farm to reach for an over hyped qb.  This has the feel of the 2013 draft when the Bills brain trust had to get their qb.  We all saw how well that worked out.

Saw a demonstration by David Carr behind a OL with DL . He explained a shorter QB can find a lane to throw better in the shotgun. 

I know under center  is for timing routes and let the RB get a head start. I just hope for a trade up to #2 for Rosen or Darnold , then  Baker and Allen maybe as a long term project. It all depends on what the Giants do. 

Some hot gossip on the Baker Mayfield front...

It seems he broke up with his college gf when he decided to turn pro:

http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/12/04/baker-mayfield-smokin-hot-girlfriend-morgan-mayberry-pics/

He has since traded her in for a Instagram model who lives in LA and is expected to be his date in the green room on draft night:

https://www.instagram.com/ewilkinson/

He seems to have a pattern of dating a girl for a year and then trading her in for a new one as his fame has increased. He has earned a bit of a reputation as a cheater and a womanizer:

http://terezowens.com/we-got-some-dirt-on-baker-mayfield-and-his-history-with-women/

I'm sure McBeane will be asking Mayfield about this on his visit and I fully expect the scouting department to dive into his dating history and see if he has any "game" which of course strongly correlates with confidence and command in the huddle.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Some hot gossip on the Baker Mayfield front...

It seems he broke up with his college gf when he decided to turn pro:

http://www.totalprosports.com/2017/12/04/baker-mayfield-smokin-hot-girlfriend-morgan-mayberry-pics/

He has since traded her in for a Instagram model who lives in LA and is expected to be his date in the green room on draft night:

https://www.instagram.com/ewilkinson/

He seems to have a pattern of dating a girl for a year and then trading her in for a new one as his fame has increased. He has earned a bit of a reputation as a cheater and a womanizer:

http://terezowens.com/we-got-some-dirt-on-baker-mayfield-and-his-history-with-women/

I'm sure McBeane will be asking Mayfield about this on his visit and I fully expect the scouting department to dive into his dating history and see if he has any "game" which of course strongly correlates with confidence and command in the huddle.

He definitely upgraded.  Schaaaaawing!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I haven't seen much about Baker Mayfield. :mellow:

But this applies to everyone. More so to him because he is on the short side for for a QB.

They list QB's heights and one major implication is that how tall they are means if they can see over linemen. There is discussion about "throwing lanes" for Mayfield because of this.

If you don't know a throwing lane is when the linemen actually block people away from a certain spot, knowing a receiver is downfield of the hole they make. Doing that lets a QB see if the guy is open or not and also reduces batted down passes.

Anyway, how tall a man is only tells us approximately where his eyes are. We really don't care where the top of his head is. See the picture. 

large-forehead.jpg

Obviously Rhiana is way better looking. But the point of this picture is to observe the difference in where their eyes are in relation to the top of their heads.

The important question is , how tall are their eyes?

I bet the NFL doesn't know.   I hope not. Because that will finally give me a solid point to support my long standing hunch that the NFL is too inbred. Too many football people and not enough variety in things people bring to the organization. 

And how the Bills could use a guy like me! :)

And I could write them and tell them to look and see if the NFL doesn't do this as a matter of course.

More of interest to those of you who don't give a fig about my hopes and dreams, (everyone here), what if Baker Mayfield's eyes are at the same height as a 6'2" guy's?

Then he isn't short any more.

Does anyone know if the NFL tracks this? Or if this number is available?

• Haha (+1) 1

Looking at Baker Mayfield's 2017 highlights I love his accuracy and movement in the pocket.  However, my concern is he played exclusively from the shotgun in a spread offense.  Did not see many "tight window" throws and many of his completions were based on hitting wide open receivers based on scheme and match-up advantages.

I'm wondering how long it will take Mayfield to learn to play under center and how is his footwork.

I like everything else about him and although I don't like that he's only 6'1", I think his pocket movement will alleviate that height concern.

What is the boards thoughts on this?

The title of this thread basically summarizes my concerns about Mayfield.  I could give two s***s about his "character issues": people see issues, I see competitive fire.  But yeah, I don't know if he can.  And that, coupled with his height (sorry but a fact), gives me pause.

There were only 3 great offenses that played under center 50/50. Saints, pats, falcons.

The rest of the great offenses in the league are almost 70/30 out of shotgun. It's time for the bills to enter the 21st century already.

Edited by Elite Poster

12 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Because that will finally give me a solid point to support my long standing hunch that the NFL is too inbred. Too many football people and not enough variety in things people bring to the organization. 

You are right about this point.

Belichick has made a career of taking advantage of all of the billion dollar organizations who let their success be decided by what are often just glorified PE teachers.

You need balance.

And btw my impression of Mayfield is his forehead was more of a two-head so maybe he's really the equivalent of a 6'2" guy.:thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

There were only 3 great offenses that played under center 50/50. Saints, pats, falcons.

The rest of the great offenses in the league are almost 70/30 out of shotgun. It's time for the bills to enter the 21st century already.

Honest question: do you think it's a fad?  the tilted shotgun ratio, i mean?  it's something i think about...

13 minutes ago, {::'KayCeeS::} said:

The title of this thread basically summarizes my concerns about Mayfield.  I could give two s***s about his "character issues": people see issues, I see competitive fire.  But yeah, I don't know if he can.  And that, coupled with his height (sorry but a fact), gives me pause.

These are reasons why I believe Mayfield may be one of the "Big 4" that's gonna drop.  Honestly I believe Darnold/Allen or Allen/Darnold are gonna be the first two QB's taken.

Rosen has a series of red flags such as concussion history, political viewpoints and leadership issues and propensity to take a lot of hits in the pocket.  I see him dropping and the issues with Mayfield playing in a systems friendly offense and no experience under center may see him drop.

In all honesty I see only 2 QB's taken in picks 1-10

unless some team (Arizona is highly probable) comes up.

The Dolphins have issues all over the field, limited salary cap space and too much money tied to Tannehill after his contract restructure to pick a QB at 11.

So, Rosen and Mayfield could drop to 12, If this occurs the Bills have options and in theory if they like both equally they could switch picks with Arizona and grab an additional 3rd round pick to get the other QB.

Very interesting scenario.

1 minute ago, RPbillsfan said:

These are reasons why I believe Mayfield may be one of the "Big 4" that's gonna drop.  Honestly I believe Darnold/Allen or Allen/Darnold are gonna be the first two QB's taken.

Rosen has a series of red flags such as concussion history, political viewpoints and leadership issues and propensity to take a lot of hits in the pocket.  I see him dropping and the issues with Mayfield playing in a systems friendly offense and no experience under center may see him drop.

In all honesty I see only 2 QB's taken in picks 1-10

unless some team (Arizona is highly probable) comes up.

The Dolphins have issues all over the field, limited salary cap space and too much money tied to Tannehill after his contract restructure to pick a QB at 11.

So, Rosen and Mayfield could drop to 12, If this occurs the Bills have options and in theory if they like both equally they could switch picks with Arizona and grab an additional 3rd round pick to get the other QB.

Very interesting scenario.

I follow your reasoning, but I don't think Rosen will drop that far.  I feel like fans pump up Mayfield (who again, I have nothing against).  I just don't think the NFL GM's value Mayfield as high as his fanboys.  But back to the point, I will eat my hat if Rosen falls out of the top 10.  And I love my hat, it's a Bills hat and I've had it for years! :D