2018 Super Bowl commercials

Mark Vader

So what were the best and worst commercials this year?

Best:

Tide: By far the funniest line of commercials. Bringing back the Old Spice guy and turning it into a Tide commercial was brilliant.

NFL: Eli Manning & Odell Beckham Jr.'s dance was hilarious.

Disney: The movie company was wishy-washy on whether they would debut a trailer for "Solo", but what we got was a real treat. The Infinity War trailer was very nice too.

Netflix: Good trailer for their "Cloverfield" prequel.

Budweiser: Water. Enlightening moment.

Worst:

M&M's: Red M&M turns into Danny DeVito. Completely lame.

Amazon: Alexa loses voice. Nice try, but ultimately a let down.

Kia: Steven Tyler. Silly

T-Mobile: Babies. Condescending cultural issues. How does this make me want to buy a phone from them? We can't have the "please stand for the flag" commercial, but this one was alright.

Groupon: Tiffany Haddish. This made no sense.

Weirdest:

Doritos Blaze/Mountain Dew Ice: Peter Dinklage & Morgan Freeman. Neat seeing the two actors, but the payoff was strange.

2 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

So what were the best and worst commercials this year?

Best:

Tide: By far the funniest line of commercials. Bringing back the Old Spice guy and turning it into a Tide commercial was brilliant.

NFL: Eli Manning & Odell Beckham Jr.'s dance was hilarious.

Disney: The movie company was wishy-washy on whether they would debut a trailer for "Solo", but what we got was a real treat. The Infinity War trailer was very nice too.

Netflix: Good trailer for their "Cloverfield" prequel.

Budweiser: Water. Enlightening moment.

Worst:

M&M's: Red M&M turns into Danny DeVito. Completely lame.

Amazon: Alexa loses voice. Nice try, but ultimately a let down.

Kia: Steven Tyler. Silly

T-Mobile: Babies. Condescending cultural issues. How does this make me want to buy a phone from them? We can't have the "please stand for the flag" commercial, but this one was alright.

Groupon: Tiffany Haddish. This made no sense.

Weirdest:

Doritos Blaze/Mountain Dew Ice: Peter Dinklage & Morgan Freeman. Neat seeing the two actors, but the payoff was strange.

The weirdest was probably the best for me.   Anything Peter Dinklage is cool in my eyes.  

They over saturated the game with Tide commercials and they were poor imo.  

• Like (+1) 2

I liked the Tide ads not just for the clever idea, but also the execution - thought the guy from Stranger Things was perfect

Thought the Eli/OBJ was a bit too long - could have got to the money shot much sooner IMO.  All I could think after seeing it was how hilarious it would be if they did the lift as an actual celebration in a game now

I actually really liked the Avacados from Mexico one - I chuckled out loud "the wi-fi is out!"

I absolutely hate any earnest commercial overreaching to send a heartfelt lesson to the human race 

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, row_33 said:

watched the first half's all in a row

2/3 were movie ads

Budweiser trying to look righteous stealing an MLK speech was brutal

Wasn't that a commercial for RAM trucks?

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Seems consistent coming from a guy with Billy Burr as his profile pic. (I approve and agree.) 

:)  I like Burr - but the avatar is also a McD reference - when they first hired him I thought they looked like they were separated at birth

10 minutes ago, row_33 said:

sorry, could be, after the 4th attempt to look righteous i lost track

Think it was. Budweiser did, however, run an ad about them canning water for some area that was struck by a disaster or something along those lines. Seemed a little self righteous.

What about the one that went like this? 

“When you cheat on your taxes you go to jail.When you cheat in football you get to sleep with a super model.” 

I thought that was a direct dig. at Brady and couldn’t believe a commercial like that ran during the superbowl.It was right at half time..

I think the Tide commercials were brilliant.  Not necessarily funny, but brilliant.  I know that I was, as well as everyone around me, whenever a new add came on I would wonder if it was a Tide add or not.   The people in their marketing department hit a home run, they basically piggy backed on all the other commercials.  Anytime you see clean clothes, it's a Tide commercial.  BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, QCity said:

Eli/OBJ Dirty Dancing was brilliant.

I boycotted the SB yesterday so have not seen many commercials. I did, however, see this one today and laughed my head off. Gave me a whole new (better) opinion of OBJ.  What good sports the NY Giants are (no pun intended).

Fortunately, the games have been better than the commercials the past few years (how refreshing).

Nothing struck me as memorable or effective for things I'd be willing to buy or causes I'd donate to.   Which makes spending $5 million for 30 seconds of airtime a waste of $$$ IMO...

Tide commercial wasn't the funniest but it will have carryover.  Real clever.

Everything that is clean becomes a Tide commercial.  Whoever came up with that will keep that account for awhile.

Also, watching a couple of pros (Dinklage & Freeman) was unexpected fun.

I was at a loud watching party last night so couldn't hear/didn't see many of the commercials, but I looked up the Tide series today and those are awesome!

I think the Alexa one was pretty "cute" too.

28 minutes ago, snafu said:

I thought the Jeep running over the serene waterfalls was really odd.

How many people drive up waterfalls.  I get it, it's a Jeep, but go around.

I thought it was funny the Jeep ad came right after the one with Matt Damon talking about the need for fresh drinking water.   

Way to go Jeep!   Screw up the water quality for people downstream... :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1