Power Struggle in New England between Kraft, Brady & Belichik

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if it was Bill himself (or his son who coaches there) leaked the info to the media. As another poster mentioned, the article does paint him in a somewhat positive light. 

Bill would be more of a psychopath than I thought if he is indeed that vengeful 

6 minutes ago, papazoid said:

the "patriot way" is getting rid of players 1 year early who are about to strike it rich in free agency.

NE doesn't overpay. instead they prefer to spread the salary cap and risk of injury out over several players.

BRADY  IS  NOT  OVER  PAID......might be the most underpaid player in league history. 

he's still performing at an MVP level and probably has a couple more years in him. no reason to move on.

just bad timing for jimmy G.   hoodie wisely offered him big money $17-18 mil/yr

brady says...bull chit...if i'm taking team friendly contract, then we should use that $18 mil on starters.

hoodie lost a power struggle and booted brady's fitness guru for revenge.

Very plausible scenario end to end.  Can’t say it’s a bad thing for Jimmy G. He’s already ascended to near hero status in SF as an undefeated starter that the franchise can and likely will build upon. 

Much better than I expected. Looks like a cross between Arod and Brees in playing style thus far. 

I just wanted to share this article. It is a great (but long) read. Some I am sure has been discussed. I expect Bellicheat or Brady to be gone after the post season- just my opinions. Mods, merge if necessary- thanks. Go Bills!!! 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/hotread180105/beginning-end-new-england-patriots-robert-kraft-tom-brady-bill-belichick-internal-power-struggle

It would be the greatest off season we could get. 

Wouldn't even matter who we draft or sign, it would arguably be a bigger deal for us to have Brady and the hood cheat gone. Luckily, father time is a relentless son of a B word, and will force their hand at some point relatively soon anyway.

Edited by Shotgunner

Just now, Mrbojanglezs said:

If thats true about Brady forcing Kraft to trade Jimmy G all I can say is....Thanks Brady ;) 

Agreed. Seems like another lucky strike on their part that they reluctantly had to move on from.

Also if true points to an insecurity or a concern that Brady was approaching expendability? 

I have heard that Brady is underpaid as far as NFL salary because Kraft has agreed to and actually has invested in companies in which Brady has ownership shares in a wink-wink nudge-nudge type of dealing, although I can provide no source. Wonder if anyone else has heard this?

One thing is for sure, I am way too biased to provide an objective opinion on the alleged internal feud. I hope like hell it's true though!

I'll bite...I hope we win against the Jags, injure Brady's shoulder/leg, Bellicheat retires, their Coordinators are all hired elsewhere and it is finally over. If we can break the 17 years of no playoffs; let's also be the team to blow them up too

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

the "patriot way" is getting rid of players 1 year early who are about to strike it rich in free agency.

NE doesn't overpay. instead they prefer to spread the salary cap and risk of injury out over several players.

BRADY  IS  NOT  OVER  PAID......might be the most underpaid player in league history. 

he's still performing at an MVP level and probably has a couple more years in him. no reason to move on.

just bad timing for jimmy G.   hoodie wisely offered him big money $17-18 mil/yr

brady says...bull chit...if i'm taking team friendly contract, then we should use that $18 mil on starters.

hoodie lost a power struggle and booted brady's fitness guru for revenge.

Not quite.  The "patriot way" is getting rid of "star" players at the point where they're still performing at a high level, so they have market value, but the Pats internal metrics say they're starting to age out (more time in the training room, slight uptick in missed plays) AND the Pats think they have a replacement groomed.

You're correct that Brady is underpaid for his performance level.  Rumor has been that Kraft is subsidizing his salary under the table by buying in or underwriting various business enterprises.  I'm sure it's all done very cleverly so as to minimize fingerprints.  

But your hypothesis about Brady saying "bull chit" to offering Garappolo $17-18M a year doesn't fit the facts reported...he didn't nix or get the chance to nix the Pats making the offer.  Garappolo was offered that and turned it down.  Why?  Duh, he wants to start.  It wasn't about Brady's trying to dictate how the $$ offered to Garappolo should rather be used, it was about Brady knowing if they keep Garappolo, his starting role is in jeopardy.  Very likely, Garappolo should have started for NE this year.

Brady feels he's earned something Belicheck hasn't given another player....loyalty, the chance to stay on the field until he's ready to leave.  Kraft agreed and told Belicheck, Brady plays as long has he's still winning.  That's what was ordered.  

Under that scenario, trading Garappolo is the obvious move because you get something for him before he walks.  It's the next chess move after being told to keep Brady playing so long as the team wins.  It doesn't matter whether it's true that Belicheck was ordered to trade him.  If he were ordered to keep Brady playing as long as Brady wants to play and is willing, it becomes the obvious thing.

Because Garappolo would have walked.  There's no contract you could offer him that would compensate him for indefinite future time on the bench.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

25 minutes ago, Steptide said:

These articles annoy me. This is the type of crap that gives new England the motivation to win super bowls 

I am hoping they are motivated and they do win, because I think there's too much "smoke" here for it to be fireless, and I think if they do win, Belicheck might retire and his minions (McDaniel and Patricia) might take HC jobs elsewhere.  Then we'll see.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah how could anyone dare think this organization, and the people in question, who have been caught cheating by the league twice, isn’t clean and in order? They deserve the benefit of the doubt. Just the stupid media again making up cute stories. Thanks for setting us all straight. 

Its the second time Seth has come out with a no substance article. The first one a couple years ago about stealing playbooks an bugging locker rooms that also had no substance. You guys keep hoping Pats keep winning..

BB runs that organization plain and simple. Nothing to see here, but I guess it gives some hope that this coking to an end. If anything it created an us against the world theybcan use through the playoffs.

Jg wants to start. Brady is signed through 2019 and about to get a 2 exte to lower cap hit. BB held on to him as long as he could. He was going to lose him in the offseason.

Edited by Chris66

If Patricia and McDaniels both jet this off season, that means they've left with Bill's approval to do so and that would suggest he too, is on his way out of New England soon.  Those guys wouldn't leave if he's sticking around.   

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Really.  Do tell.  They might - now.

I think Belicheck's intention at the start of the season was to not go anywhere - groom his sons, transition from Brady to Garrappolo, etc.  The point of that article is: that may have changed.

It's entirely believable that the Jimmy G trade was ordered from over Belicheck's head.  Trading Jimmy G for a 2nd just before the trade deadline, after dealing Brissett to the Colts and leaving the Pats with no backup temporarily, is entirely against Belicheck's pattern of "buy low sell high" when it comes to players - which would have him trading or cutting Brady after this season just as he traded Bledsoe to the Bills for a 1st round pick after Brady took over, at a point where Bledsoe was the franchise's top quarterback in completions, attempts and yards for a game, a season and a career - but was 30 years old.   The telling quote is right here: "The Patriots repeatedly offered Garoppolo four-year contract extensions, in the $17 million to $18 million range annually that would go higher if and when he succeeded Brady. Garoppolo and Yee rejected the offers out of hand, for reasons that remain unclear, and the Patriots knew they couldn't make any promises to Garoppolo about the timing of a transition at quarterback without it getting back to Brady."

Let's let that sink in a minute: Garappolo, a 4th-year player with 2 career starts,  is offered a 4 year contract that would pay him within spitting distance of Tom Brady, pay him as a mid-range starter #17 or so, and immediately rejects it.  "reasons that remain unclear", my aunt's left elbow: the reasons are 100% clear, he wants to start.  And he probably SHOULD be starting for NE, right after this season if not during it.  Brady is visibly slipping.    The Pats are not offering Garappolo that contract unless they are confident he could replace Brady at any moment.  No team pays $40k+ per year to their QBs for 4 years.  

If the Pats are willing to offer Garappolo that contract, they were ready to move on from Brady.  That Garappolo was traded instead, screams "power struggle that Belicheck lost", independent of anything else.

The smart betting is that the trade involved a couple of under-the-table handshakes - one that the 49ers would release Hoyer and he would sign with NE (about the only mid-season acquisition who could come in knowing the system enough to be realistic), the other that Jimmy G will re-sign with the 49ers for a reasonable deal so please folks who think Jimmy G will be a FA - give that up, please.

Great post! Sounds right to me. Makes me almost feel bad for Belichick. Almost. 

Part of the story is that Bill is now preparing his assistants for head coaching interviews.  He never did that, ever, until now.  When he leaves he wants the cupboard as bare as possible... Kraft will have Brady and everyone else who Belichek values would leave. Bill Belichek holds a grudge.

Kraft and Brady may have won in the short term, but Brady in particular looks bad. He's lead a charmed life and won't be many who feel sorry for him. Kraft probably screwed up his franchise. Billy B had it all setup with Jimmy G moving forward and they were going to be good. It is great news for the NFL that Kraft may be left with a 41 year old QB!

Edited by horned dogs

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think this is the "modern way" in "journalism" these days. It's just like the coverage of TRUMP.

Pick a side, and just hurl any attack you can dream up (or has the smidgeon of fact mixed with a boatload of supposition and rumor) at the opposition (or if on the other side, deflect any and every criticism). 

Just generate clicks, and try to stir up as much venom as possible.

Edited by OJABBA

If BB or Brady leave, Pegula needs to offer either of them whatever they want, plus one of his children, to get them here.

Brady, in the dying days of his career, could put us in the Superbowl overnight with a few other supporting adjustments.

BB would turn the franchise into NE.  Give him money, more money, power, control, whatever he wants.

Only concern would be how long BB still wants to do this stuff.  

19 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I love how Kraft just expects Billy to pick the successor to Brady...he should just bounce and leave it to Krafts next crummy coach to try to catch lightning in a bottle....Bills will rule that division for the next 15 years!!!

If we can land a decent franchise QB over the next 2 years we will run this division for a very long time.

5 minutes ago, kota said:

pure garbage.  Not a patriots fan but the article makes zero sense.

How do you figure? Do you think it's possible that Brady may have had some underlying fear that he could be "Bledsoed" by the Patriots Org so he convinced Kraft to eliminate a threat (Garoppolo)?

Do I think egos might be at play here...yes...its pro football and this Patriots team is a Yankees/Celtics/UCLA Bruins dynasty -- of course there are egos. 

Do I think these three men have always made personal ego sacrifices to build and sustain this dynasty -- yes--most definitely. 

Do I think they disagree sometimes and argue--gotta crack some eggs to make a dynasty omelette.

Do I think this is click bait by a failing network -- yep...

1 minute ago, JoeF said:

Do I think egos might be at play here...yes...its pro football and this Patriots team is a Yankees/Celtics/UCLA Bruins dynasty -- of course there are egos. 

Do I think these three men have always made personal ego sacrifices to build and sustain this dynasty -- yes--most definitely. 

Do I think they disagree sometimes and argue--gotta crack some eggs to make a dynasty omelette.

Do I think this is click bait by a failing network -- yep...

Click bait? No. It's a very well-written, interesting piece. Take some time to read it with a clear, impartial mind or don't. 

45 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

I think this is the "modern way" in "journalism" these days. It's just like the coverage of TRUMP.

Pick a side, and just hurl any attack you can dream up (or has the smidgeon of fact mixed with a boatload of supposition and rumor) at the opposition (or if on the other side, deflect any and every criticism). 

Just generate clicks, and try to stir up as much venom as possible.

^^Another offended snowflake^^

19 hours ago, nucci said:

I believe that Belichick did not want to trade Garoppollo

I think you are 100% correct and that Belichick is furious about this . . . especially now that Garoppollo has shown just how good he is.

I would not be surprised if Belichick himself cooperated with the author of the article off the record.

• Like (+1) 1