The last time the Bills were in the playoffs...

DC Tom

The movies Erin Brockovich and Gladiator hadn't been released yet.

The Kursk hadn't sunk yet.

Shaquille O'Neil still hadn't made his first free throw yet.

PlayStation 2 hadn't been released yet.

The Seattle Kingdome was still standing.

Dora the Explorer hadn't debuted yet.

Tom Landry and Charles M. Schulz were still alive.

Edited by Peace Frog

10 hours ago, /dev/null said:

On November 8, 1998, CBS televised the first NFL game to be broadcast in high-definition, between the New York Jets and Buffalo Bills at Giants Stadium. It was also the first time two Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks started against each other in the NFL (Vinny Testaverde for the Jets and Doug Flutie for the Bills).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_CBS#HDTV_coverage

26 is Don / Chad?    :o

It's not quite the same game, but I just realized that when I met my wife in 2011, it was a week or so after the Sabres got bounced from the playoffs.  So this is the first time since I've known her that a Buffalo team is in the playoffs.  She has no idea what she's in for.

12 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Technically HD, but inferior to 1080i and 1080P.  Not true HD. 

It was HD for the technology at the time, and qualified under the definition.   

A friend worked at CBS at the time, and we went to the 57th St studios to watch the broadcast (who had a HD TV then?).  We all remarked that the cameramen needed to repoint the focus for the 16x9 frame.  They were still centered on the LOS, which left big open spaces behind the RBs, instead of capturing more of the defensive formations.

On July 23, 1996, WRAL-TV (then the CBS affiliate in Raleigh, North Carolina; now affiliated with NBC) became the first television station in the United States to broadcast a digital television signal. HDTV sets became available in the U.S. in 1998 and broadcasts began around November 1998.

Approximately one year before I left Western NY to move to the RTP region.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

Ten cent wings were still a thing

Red Dog and Red Wolf beer existed

AOL instant messenger did too

Ditto for the Montreal Expos

The Brewers just moved to the National League

Shopping Malls were still a thing

And video game arcades

Personally: 

My son, in first grade at the time, was still a Bills fan, he's since jumped ship following 99 season to become a Titans fan, graduated HS, went to prison for a few months is now closing on his first house this coming weekend. (yeah a lot of changes). 

Left military service, worked in the civilian sector for seven years, came back and now I'm a DoD civilian.

Owned two different houses, owned five different vehicles (only 2 I truly liked)

I've been to over 300 major and minor league baseball games and seen two no hitters, one NLCS and one NLDS game each and three Triple A playoff games.  

Edited by Bullpen

54 minutes ago, GG said:

It was HD for the technology at the time, and qualified under the definition.   

A friend worked at CBS at the time, and we went to the 57th St studios to watch the broadcast (who had a HD TV then?).  We all remarked that the cameramen needed to repoint the focus for the 16x9 frame.  They were still centered on the LOS, which left big open spaces behind the RBs, instead of capturing more of the defensive formations.

Already stipulated. 

39 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Bill Belichick was the Defensive Coordinator of the Jets.

Tom Brady was a senior at Michigan.

Rob Gronkowski was 10-years-old.

Mentally and emotionally he still is 10 years old.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I was in my senior year of high school. I remember watching the Music City Miracle. Don't know if I've ever been more angered over a sporting event. 

Since then I've moved three different times, been through countless jobs, met my wife in 2010, married her in 2014 (even had a little nod to the Bills in the vows, ha!), adopted a cat... no kids here. 

If the drought taught me anything it's been to temper my expectations and watch the games with a more level-headed approach. I'm psyched when they win but I refuse to let a loss ruin my day or cause me to throw my TV remote across the room. On Sunday my thought was something super Billsy was going to happen, I figured that the Ravens, Titans and Chargers would all lose, thus allowing Buffalo to get into the playoffs so long as they beat Miami, but I was betting that they'd lay an egg against the Phins and lose as well. 

By the time the 4th quarter started vs. Miami, I was 99% sure the Bills had the game in hand. And shortly after that, the Titans won their game which eliminated the second playoff scenario leaving only a Bills victory and a Ravens loss as their path into the playoffs. I was trying not to get too excited about Cincinnati leading for most of their game, and then I had the "Welp, figures" mindset when Baltimore took the lead with around 9 minutes left to go. 

Bills game ended and we knew they had a chance. CBS went right to the Ravens/Bengals game. I paced around during Cincinnati's final drive. 4th & 12, I'm thinking, "Man, just give your kicker a shot to at least tie it up." And then that gentle ginger Jesus dropped back and put one on a rope to Boyd (Pitt alum, wonder if Shady texted him after, haha). I honestly thought Boyd was gonna get tackled right there as there were three Ravens surrounding him so I was like, "Yaaaa! That's a chip shot field goal, they can tie it-- whoa, go, GO, GO, GO OH MY GAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHDDDDD AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!" I had no words. All I could do was yell and throw stuff (nothing crazy). And then yeah, I had a hint of hesitation as Baltimore had three TO's and 44 seconds but I was like, they gotta score a touchdown, I don't think it's gonna happen.

It's crazy to finally have the monkey off our backs. Don't have to hear about the drought anymore, no longer are they the team who has the longest active streak of missing the playoffs in any major American sport. Crazy awesome cloud nine kinda feeling. Called family and friends, texts, etc. etc. It was a fun New Years. And then the next day I woke up and somehow failed to recall the previous nights events until I went online and saw all the reaction videos and was like, holy crap, it really happened. That jagoff in NYC didn't overturn the Cincinnati TD overnight did he? The Bills are actually in?! 

And uh yeah... apologies for the novel here but cripes, 17 seasons and they break the streak this season. With all the changes that took place I felt like they'd probably finish in the same ol' 8-8 or 7-9 range. When they hit 8 wins I was like, hey at least they're guaranteed a non-losing season final record. And then somehow, someway everything fell into place for them and they sneak into the playoffs. This team has had that "ball bounced their way" vibe for most of the season. They've been fortunate enough to catch some breaks and I hope it continues haha. 

Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

Figured I should pop in here.

I was rolling around on a pile of profits from trading dot-com stocks.

I was at the game Sunday in a friend’s luxury box. We were there afterwards for the Dalton-Boyd TD. Some old friends from HS vacationing on Miami Beach Uber’d to the tailgate. Couldn’t do that in 2000 Nashville.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HopsGuy said:

I was rolling around on a pile of profits from trading dot-com stocks.

This brought back a painful memory.  In 99 I had completed my retire @55 analysis and was more than good to go. Still working @ 61 thanks to the Telecom Train Wreck/dot-com bubble burst.................

I was a junior in high school when the foward lateral happened. Since then I went to Bonas moved to Chicago to take a job moved back to WNY to go to grad school at Bonas then moved back to Chicago where I have worked for the last decade. Planning on going to law school in the fall so it would be nice to have a Bills superbowl before I take the bar in three to four years!

sorry for not checking all 12 pages 

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/30769/how-the-sports-world-changed-over-9456727-minutes-of-bills-drought

How sports changed in the 9,456,727 minutes since the Bills' last playoff game by Mike Rodak.  

He hit on some of the posts here (maybe he read this thread) 

The Cubs and Red Sox won the World Series:

Michael Phelps won all of his record 28 medals: