The last time the Bills were in the playoffs...

DC Tom

- My favourite TV show of all time was in its prime - NYPD Blue

- My childhood football team - The Balmain Tigers - was playing its final season after 92 years in the Australian Rugby League. They were the reason I chose to support the Buffalo Bills. Balmain lost two "deciders" in 1988 & 1989 (the second one with a minute left on the clock, which they then lost in OT) and, sadly, would never be champions in my lifetime:

The pain I felt that day was on a par with "wide right".

So when i learnt that Buffalo had lost 4 straight from 1990 to 1993, there was no other choice - I had to be a Bills fan!! I figured that tortured souls had to stick together.

And I guess that sort of makes it 6 straight losses for me. It's also not a stretch to say that I understood what it meant to feel like a Bills fan before Bills fans knew what it meant to feel like Bills fans!

The irony of the Bengals doing it for us brought additional tears to my eyes.

Apologies for the diversion, but i had to tell the story, on today of all days.

Edited by SydneyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WhoTom said:

I went nuts over the TD but, remembering the MCIFP, my joy was quickly tempered by the 0:44 still on the clock. It wasn't until the last play that I let myself truly enjoy the moment.

Fixed it for you.

Last time the Bills were in the playoffs, January of 2000

-I was fresh out of college driving my first car that I owned a 1985 Buick Century.

-Angelfire sites, ICQ and AOL IM were the social media of the time

-WCW was still a pro wrestling promotion

-Terrible music plagued the radio stations regardless of preferred genre, Napster was the way around it.

-I was laughing at the overbearing obnoxious wing nut families that my family knew for wasting thousands of dollars on bulk food and prepping supplies over the  two years before to prepare for the y2k while shaming the rest of us who weren't doing the same thing.

Edited by dgrochester55

19 hours ago, DC Tom said:
  • I hadn't met my wife yet.
  • AOL was "the internet."
  • The iPod didn't even exist.
  • Bill Clinton was president.
  • The World Trade Center was still standing.

What else?

I was drunk again and quit being a fan for over a decade.

Honesty I recall the Day.

24 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

The movie my avatar pic was from may still have been fresh in people's minds

I hadn't even heard of that movie until a couple of years ago. My wife and I just watched it recently, for the first time.

Last time I was in the south most room in this house and this time I was in the north most room watching. That afternoon in 99 was like a twilight zone episode... kept waiting for a flag or... something.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not HD. Better than 480i or 480P.

On November 8, 1998, CBS televised the first NFL game to be broadcast in high-definition, between the New York Jets and Buffalo Bills at Giants Stadium. It was also the first time two Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks started against each other in the NFL (Vinny Testaverde for the Jets and Doug Flutie for the Bills).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_CBS#HDTV_coverage

1 minute ago, /dev/null said:

On November 8, 1998, CBS televised the first NFL game to be broadcast in high-definition, between the New York Jets and Buffalo Bills at Giants Stadium. It was also the first time two Heisman Trophy winning quarterbacks started against each other in the NFL (Vinny Testaverde for the Jets and Doug Flutie for the Bills).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_on_CBS#HDTV_coverage

Technically HD, but inferior to 1080i and 1080P.  Not true HD. 

11 hours ago, RevWarRifleman said:

Last time the Bills were in the playoffs was:                                 Here goes nothin, & I do mean nothin.

1. Dinasaours  stil roamed parts of the earth.

2. Cell phones were as large as shoe boxes.

3. Roy Moore was cruisin the Twin Fair store in Lockport looking for "a date." (See # 1 above.)

4.  A "super bowl" was something George Carlin did before going on stage.

5. The British still had possession of Fort Niagara.

6. The Rockpile was still................well,  The Rockpile.

7. Rex Ryan was a 6th grader picking his nose in science class. (again, see #1)

8. A Super Bowl had a different meaning at SUNY New Palz.

Told ya it was nothin.   Congratulations coach McDowell and the Buffalo Bills!  This feels great!!

#6. I am still the Rockpile!

- My wife was pregnant with our first son who will be starting college in the fall.

- I was in my 30s...I'm now in my 50s.

- My other favorite pro teams (Sabres & Mets) still have not won anything...some things never change.

- My favorite college basketball team and my alma mater, VCU, made it to the Final Four as a mid-major.

- My favorite college football team, Alabama, was 7 years removed from its last National Championship...they've since won 4.

- My beloved mother, also a Bills fan (from Alabama), was still alive. :cry:

My other son is 15 and both of my boys are Bills fans. I'm happier for them than I am myself that they finally get to see their favorite team in the playoffs for the first time in their young lives. :)

LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!

We had never heard the names Chandra Levy, Natalee Holloway, or Lacy Peterson.   Or Elián González.

The Houston Astros were still playing in the Astrodome.

India had fewer than a billion citizens.

The Concorde was still flying.

Same-sex marriages were not legally recognized anywhere in the world.

Slobodan Milosevic was still in power.

Montgomery Ward was still in business.