Is McBean trying to pull a Cashman Move?

Kmart128

Many people who follow baseball know that Brian Cashman traded Aroldis Chapman to Cubs couple years back. In return the Yankees now have the number one prospect in Baseball in Gleyber Torres and got a good bullpen arm in Adam Warren. And a couple other prospects. Well they got all that for a half a year rental because Chapman was a free agent and signed with the Yankees in off-season. This move helped them go from missing the playoffs to 1 game from the World Series.

Now how does this relate to the Bills? Well Sammy Watkins is a free agent. With guys like Kupp and Woods being the Rams primary revievers he could walk. Well Bills need a Flanker. Benjamin is a Split End. That means Zay is our current Flanker. He would be way better suited as a Slot receiver since he can't play SE with Benjamin on team. Sammy is the prototypical Flanker. It's a perfect fit. Watkins isn't playing his best so he won't cost nearly as much as once thought. So does Matthews walk and we bring Watkins back? If he does it would be awesome. He hindsight he would have traded Watkins a one year rental for a 2nd round pick and EJ Gaines... Just to add Watkins back. Would be an awesome move by Brandon. Is he trying to pull a Cashman and Chapman type move?

Lineup

SE- Kelvin Benjamin /Andre Holmes

SL- Zay Jones

FL- Sammy Watkins/Deonte Thompson

Just for record. I don't think it happens. I think Mike Wallace on a one year rental is most likely. Maybe a Moncrief or John Brown is brought in to play Flanker. But it would be an awesome move if Beane does pull it off... And unexpected

• Like (+1) 1

hm, somehow I don't see this staff bringing back players that they have moved on from. if that happened, that would be twice that they've essentially reneged on a highly criticized decision. I'd like Sammy back, but doubt it's even in the cards.

The sad fact of the matter is that you were comparing the New York Yankees to the Buffalo Bills and that is not a fair comparison. The Yankees are a storied franchise with a history of winning. The Buffalo Bills, however, are a sad sack franchise with a history of losing. There was rationale for Chapman to return to the Yankees. Why would Sammy ever want to come back to Buffalo?

16 minutes ago, 87168 said:

hm, somehow I don't see this staff bringing back players that they have moved on from. if that happened, that would be twice that they've essentially reneged on a highly criticized decision. I'd like Sammy back, but doubt it's even in the cards.

That's the thing tho. When they made the move. They said it had nothing to do with Sammy. Said Watkins is a tremendous player. They were just trying to improve the roster... It's not like they just moved on cause he was bad and didn't fit their vision.

But like I said I don't see it happening either but something to keep an eye on.

2 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The sad fact of the matter is that you were comparing the New York Yankees to the Buffalo Bills and that is not a fair comparison. The Yankees are a storied franchise with a history of winning. The Buffalo Bills, however, are a sad sack franchise with a history of losing. There was rationale for Chapman to return to the Yankees. Why would Sammy ever want to come back to Buffalo?

Wasn't Watkins a Bills fan in college and high school? He also knows all the players and is friends with them. And maybe McDermott sat down and told him this is temporary we will be interested in signing him again after the season ends. Just never know

4 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

I thought "Flanker" was a term used back in the 60's & 70's.

No... It's still a position in football. It's a term for the WR that linesup off the line of scrimmage. Hence you have to be faster than a split end. It's also known as the Z receiver. 

Big reason Carolina traded Kelvin is because they had two true split ends in Funchess and Benjamin so they wanted to get Samuels in that Flanker position

1 hour ago, Kmart128 said:

That's the thing tho. When they made the move. They said it had nothing to do with Sammy. Said Watkins is a tremendous player. They were just trying to improve the roster... It's not like they just moved on cause he was bad and didn't fit their vision.

But like I said I don't see it happening either but something to keep an eye on.

Maybe they just needed to move a young talented player to get the draft picks that they want to trade up for a QB?  That's how I saw the move.  Just another piece to give us the flexibility to make a big move if necessary.  I think it was very smart.  With the inconsistent QB play defining parts of the drought...you have to find a young QB out of the draft to lead you out of this mess we have at QB. If they find a way to move up for Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen....that pick will have helped. 

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

The Yankees have existed double the amount of time this Bills have and more importantly the Yankees also have had a monetary advantage for decades, unlike the Bills. If we could spend double on free agents like the Yankees do, I'm very sure we'd win at least several championships. Baseball needs a salary cap badly.

I watch Sammy play every week and the guy does not get open consistently like the other receivers do.  I have seen him quit on a couple of deep balls and he is still has alligator arms over the middle.  He is soft.  Hopefully they find a receiver with some heart.

55 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Buffalo is a deathbed for a WR career.   Your stats are going to be bad because we don't have a good QB.  Even with a good QB the stats can be bad on account of the weather.  

How funny I was talking to my uncle about this yesterday. I might be wrong but i think the only receiver that left Buffalo and had tremendous success after leaving was Don Beebee!

I'm pretty interested to see what LA does with Watkins.  He's a hard player to evaluate contract wise because the production hasn't matched the talent as far as being one of top WRs in the NFL, and he is now playing in a high powered passing offense so he doesn't have that excuse right now, although this is only year one in this system.  I could see the Rams simply Franchise Tag him to see what kind of player he is with a full offseason/training camp in LA.  They have to sign Trumaine Johnson long term, and get a new contract for Donald done soon, so I could see where it makes sense to push that long term contract decision down another year.

3 hours ago, Clyde Smith said:

How funny I was talking to my uncle about this yesterday. I might be wrong but i think the only receiver that left Buffalo and had tremendous success after leaving was Don Beebee!

Ahmad Rashad. Not quite at that level but honorable mention to Haven Moses, Marlin Briscoe, and Bobby Chandler.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I agree, we are more of the Padres then the Yankees with much suckier weather.

6 hours ago, gjv001 said:

Would like it very much to see Watkins back, but don't see it happening.

I think most fans would love to see Sammy back but unfortunately that ship has sailed. I don't see Holmes being retained and right now Matthews is iffy?  I would build my wr corp around Zay and Kelvin. We badly need a speedster to keep the safeties out of the box.  We just didn't target SW enough and frankly the Rams don't target him enough either.

6 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Many people who follow baseball know that Brian Cashman traded Aroldis Chapman to Cubs couple years back. In return the Yankees now have the number one prospect in Baseball in Gleyber Torres and got a good bullpen arm in Adam Warren. And a couple other prospects. Well they got all that for a half a year rental because Chapman was a free agent and signed with the Yankees in off-season. This move helped them go from missing the playoffs to 1 game from the World Series.

Now how does this relate to the Bills? Well Sammy Watkins is a free agent. With guys like Kupp and Woods being the Rams primary revievers he could walk. Well Bills need a Flanker. Benjamin is a Split End. That means Zay is our current Flanker. He would be way better suited as a Slot receiver since he can't play SE with Benjamin on team. Sammy is the prototypical Flanker. It's a perfect fit. Watkins isn't playing his best so he won't cost nearly as much as once thought. So does Matthews walk and we bring Watkins back? If he does it would be awesome. He hindsight he would have traded Watkins a one year rental for a 2nd round pick and EJ Gaines... Just to add Watkins back. Would be an awesome move by Brandon. Is he trying to pull a Cashman and Chapman type move?

Lineup

SE- Kelvin Benjamin /Andre Holmes

SL- Zay Jones

FL- Sammy Watkins/Deonte Thompson

Just for record. I don't think it happens. I think Mike Wallace on a one year rental is most likely. Maybe a Moncrief or John Brown is brought in to play Flanker. But it would be an awesome move if Beane does pull it off... And unexpected

I think you're giving Beane wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much credit.

6 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Are you are applying to replace Billy Buffalo? You would be perfect replacement.

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I would love it to happen but don’t see it. 

It is going to be interesting to see if the Rams are going to pay top dollar money to Watkins to keep him. He certainly is in a good situation with Goff as the qb and McVay as an innovative offensive coach. The issue is cap distribution. Do you dedicate a big contract to him when you already have Kupp and Woods as receivers rather than using a large slice of the cap  for Aaron Donald on the defensive side of the ball? 

It's my belief that the Rams work out a deal with the receiver because it is such a good fit for the player and team. They wouldn't have traded a second round pick and a CB if they didn't believe that a deal could be worked out.