2x1st Round Draft Picks

Tatonka68

13 hours ago, nucci said:

5 draft picks for a QB....and if it doesn't work out? How much did the Jets give up for Sanchez..

Then you try again, What if it DOES work? We tried it the safe way for 17 years, how did that work out.

13 hours ago, Bills Fan of Maryland said:

Bills have not invested top picks in the OL. They invest mid to late round picks on guys who other teams pass on and then regret their decision.  They drafted EJM and Losman in the first round. I only see one bust at OL in the first round. The rest were solid contributors for many years. A change would be to build a solid OL unless an elite prospect drops to us at QB.  I've watches the "elites" in this draft and come away with doubts. 

Buffalo Bills first-round draft picks
Year Pick Player name Position College Notes
2016 19 Shaq Lawson Defensive end Clemson  
2015 — No pick — — [3]
2014 4 Sammy Watkins Wide receiver Clemson  
2013 16 EJ Manuel Quarterback Florida State  
2012 10 Stephon Gilmore Cornerback South Carolina  
2011 3 Marcell Dareus Defensive tackle Alabama  
2010 9 C.J. Spiller Running back Clemson  
2009 11 Aaron Maybin Defensive end Penn State  
2009 28 Eric Wood Center Louisville  
2008 11 Leodis McKelvin Defensive back Troy  
2007 12 Marshawn Lynch Running back California  
2006 8 Donte Whitner Safety Ohio State  
2006 26 John McCargo Defensive tackle North Carolina State  
2005 — No pick — —  
2004 13 Lee Evans Wide receiver Wisconsin  
2004 22 J. P. Losman Quarterback Tulane  
2003 23 Willis McGahee Running back Miami (FL)  
2002 4 Mike Williams Offensive tackle Texas  
2001 21 Nate Clements Defensive back Ohio State  
2000 26 Erik Flowers Defensive end Arizona State  
1999 23 Antoine Winfield Defensive back Ohio State  
1998 — No pick — —  
1997 23 Antowain Smith Running back Houston  
1996 24 Eric Moulds Wide receiver Mississippi State  
1995 14 Ruben Brown Guard Pittsburgh  
1994 27 Jeff Burris Defensive back Notre Dame  
1993 28 Thomas Smith Defensive back North Carolina  
1992 27 John Fina Offensive tackle Arizona  
1991 26 Henry Jones Defensive back Illinois  
1990 16 James Williams Defensive back Fresno State  
1989 — No pick — —  
1988 — No pick — —  
1987 8 Shane Conlan Linebacker Penn State  
1986 16 Ronnie Harmon Running back Iowa  
1986 20 Will Wolford Offensive tackle Vanderbilt  
1985 1 Bruce Smith  ^  Defensive end Virginia Tech  
1985 14 Derrick Burroughs Defensive back Memphis State  
1984 26 Greg Bell Running back Notre Dame  
1983 12 Tony Hunter Tight end Notre Dame  
1983 14 Jim Kelly  ^  Quarterback Miami (FL)  
1982 19 Perry Tuttle Wide receiver Clemson  
1981 28 Booker Moore Running back Penn State  
1980 16 Jim Ritcher Center North Carolina State  
1979 1 Tom Cousineau Linebacker Ohio State  
1979 5 Jerry Butler Wide receiver Clemson  
1978 5 Terry Miller Running back Oklahoma State  
1977 12 Phil Dokes Defensive tackle Oklahoma State  
1976 18 Mario Clark Defensive back Oregon  
1975 19 Tom Ruud Linebacker Nebraska  
1974 18 Reuben Gant Tight end Oklahoma State  
1973 7 Paul Seymour Tight end Michigan  
1973 26 Joe DeLamielleure  ^  Guard Michigan State  
1972 1 Walt Patulski Defensive end Notre Dame  
1971 4 J. D. Hill Wide receiver Arizona State  
1970 5 Al Cowlings Defensive tackle Southern California  
1969 1 O.J. Simpson  ^  Running back USC  
1968 9 Haven Moses Wide receiver San Diego State  
1967 22 John Pitts Safety Arizona State  
1966 8 Mike Dennis Running back Ole Miss

Without a franchise QB the Bills will be in the same mess as the last 17 years. OL are unless they have a QB to block for, and Tyrod is NOT it.

Edited by Tatonka68

17 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I like Mayfield and Jackson as qbs that might be there.  Worried about Josh Allen.  Looks like Tarzan, accuracy of Jane, but who knows, really?

In my opinion, the 2 worst 1st round prospects in the draft.  

Jackson is a 1-read QB and Mayfield might as well be Manziel part deux.

After passing on a guy like Watson, I can guarantee you McBeane isn't interested in Lamar or Baker.

17 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I like Mayfield and Jackson as qbs that might be there.  Worried about Josh Allen.  Looks like Tarzan, accuracy of Jane, but who knows, really?

I think Josh Allen would be a great candidate to sit behind an Eli Manning, Sam Bradford, or Alex Smith. We should be able to get him later in the first round too Go get Vita Vea with the other first round pick. :D

Too many times too many people get enamored with Big 12 QBs. Between putting up huge numbers in an offense designed to put up huge numbers in college (Air Raid) and QBs not taking snaps from under center, it's no surprise that Big 12 QBs fizzle out consistently. 

Here is a novel idea, keep Tyrod and use those 5 premium picks to build around him. 

2 hours ago, ROONDOGG55 said:

I think Josh Allen would be a great candidate to sit behind an Eli Manning, Sam Bradford, or Alex Smith. We should be able to get him later in the first round too Go get Vita Vea with the other first round pick. :D

I don' t claim to be a qb expert.  I liked Watson and Mahomes in the last draft.  Folks that seem more astute than I such as GunnerBill are not high on Allen.  Not sure if inaccuracy is curable or not, but it's one of the important traits you want.  Whoever is drafted (and I am assuming we will draft a qb high) bringing in a vet like you suggest is a good idea.  (I also surmise Tyrod is unlikely to be back.)

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

sign Cousins and keep all your picks....bills have way to many needs

Certainly prefereable to the idea of "building around Tyrod."

Edited by Dr. Who

23 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I don' t claim to be a qb expert.  I liked Watson and Mahomes in the last draft.  Folks that seem more astute than I such as GunnerBill are not high on Allen.  Not sure if inaccuracy is curable or not, but it's one of the important traits you want.  Whoever is drafted (and I am assuming we will draft a qb high) bringing in a vet like you suggest is a good idea.  (I also surmise Tyrod is unlikely to be back.)

I am definitely not a QB expert either, but I think the guy has all the tools to play well. I think Aaron Rogers had accuracy issues coming out of college, but he seemed to fix his throwing motion which I assume corrected his accuracy issues. Me personally, I believe accuracy issues can always be corrected if the player has the ability to unlearn bad habits. Some guys just can't seem to let go. Brady had to go through a similar adjustment, and made it his everyday process. I remember commentators and analysts comparing his throwing motion from the beginning of his career to his 5th and 6th season as a starter. You will notice a drastic change in his yearly statistics between those times as well. Either way I believe any guy with skills can be successful with the right mindset. Hopefully if and when we pick our guy he has that drive and the ability to make the necessary changes in his game to succeed.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm actually pretty surprised by most of the posts in this thread. All year all I read on this board is how we HAVE to get a franchise QB and we're crazy not to try and get a franchise QB and why haven't we tried to get a franchise QB ... and now most of you are saying you don't want to trade picks?

• Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I like the Rams' move a lot better as a model for what we could potentially do.

Rams gave up:
#15 Overall

2nd Round (43)

2nd Round (45)

3rd Round (76)

Next Year's 1st

Next Year's 3rd

Titans gave up:

#1 Overall

4th Round (113)

6th Round (177)

If we did the same that would leave us with:

1st overall Selection

KC's 1st Rounder

2 4ths

2 5ths

1 6th

what about Carolina's 7th we got in the Seymour trade?

Edited by The Jokeman
Correction: The 7th we got for Seymour was in 2019

4 hours ago, Theshallowcross said:

Too many times too many people get enamored with Big 12 QBs. Between putting up huge numbers in an offense designed to put up huge numbers in college (Air Raid) and QBs not taking snaps from under center, it's no surprise that Big 12 QBs fizzle out consistently. 

Here is a novel idea, keep Tyrod and use those 5 premium picks to build around him. 

Tyrod would only be ok as a bridge to a better QB. If you can get a QB you get him. They already passed on drafting Watson. The difference between HOU offense's numbers with and without Watson is remarkable. Can't keep passing on Quarterbacks. Certainly not because they have Tyrod Taylor. 

4 minutes ago, Sweats said:

To make any QB play in the draft, were going to have to give up anywhere from 3 to 5 picks...........weve got a lot of holes to fill on our whole roster, so that leaves us nothing for filling our needs.

Probably can't address everything in this offseason. If they  can get a QB, they have to take one. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Tyrod would only be ok as a bridge to a better QB. If you can get a QB you get him. They already passed on drafting Watson. The difference between HOU offense's numbers with and without Watson is remarkable. Can't keep passing on Quarterbacks. Certainly not because they have Tyrod Taylor. 

this is the main point.  i like taylor as a qb, but he's certainly not a guy you build a team around.  

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

I agree. We need to fill the holes on the O and D lines. We can't give away top picks with so many needs.

The ol "let's build at other places" argument.

We've tried building around the QB position for years.

How has that worked for us?

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Sweats said:

To make any QB play in the draft, were going to have to give up anywhere from 3 to 5 picks...........weve got a lot of holes to fill on our whole roster, so that leaves us nothing for filling our needs.

So what that is what 2019 draft is about. Multiple drafts needed to build a playoff team.

4 hours ago, Theshallowcross said:

Build around Mr. 56 yard check down Charile, who cannot even throw for 100 yards against the Saints. NO WAY!

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, McBean said:

The ol "let's build at other places" argument.

We've tried building around the QB position for years.

How has that worked for us?

Ok?, how has drafting a QB high with no offensive line worked out for top picks like David Carr, Joey Harrington or Rick Mirer? They were all "can't miss" guys.

Edited by Southern Bills Fan

54 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

So what that is what 2019 draft is about. Multiple drafts needed to build a playoff team.

Build around Mr. 56 yard check down Charile, who cannot even throw for 100 yards against the Saints. NO WAY!

Good thing you're not in charge of these things considering you're unaware of how actual NFL offense and the structure of an offense work. 

Edited by Theshallowcross

On 11/28/2017 at 3:01 PM, Dr. Who said:

Yikes.  That's a heavy price for a team with lots of holes to fill.  You're not trading into Cleveland or the Giants' spot, so you're likely looking at the third best qb on the board.

This is really the point.   Unless Geno goes on a five-game winning streak, the Browns and Giants are both taking QBs.   I'll trade up for the best QB in the draft, but not the third best.   If he falls to me, fine.   

And I doubt that the Bills and Chiefs picks alone will get you up to 5.  

2 hours ago, teef said:

this is the main point.  i like taylor as a qb, but he's certainly not a guy you build a team around.  

However, I keep Taylor until I have someone better.   

That's why benching him was so costly.  It almost certainly means that he's gone after next season (because Taylor isn't going to stick with these coaches) and that, in turn, forces the Bills to find a QB in this off-season.   That's why they may feel compelled to trade up, and trading up probably means using both first round picks and maybe a second or next year's first.     

If they hadn't burned bridges with Taylor, they would be much more comfortable taking a good QB when it was their turn and used other picks to fill holes.   

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

How does that draft chart work if you were to throw in a 2019 first rounder as well? I can definitely see us trading up with San Francisco if we give them both firsts and throw in our first in 2019

Generally speaking a pick next year is worth 1 less round than this year, and the middle of the round. So a 2019 1st would be valued around pick 48 in the 2018 draft.

I certainly hope the Bills Draft a QB, but before we can adequately discuss trading up, the season really does need to end to determine Draft position AND FA period needs to have had at least a couple weeks to filter through what the Bills have addressed without giving up Draft capital.

Also, I'm hoping if they were to go "all in" on a QB and trade up, might as well go the full distance to get a guy that is better than Rudolph, otherwise wait for a guy like Josh Allen or Ryan Finley. 

I think the guy they want in a perfect scenario is Darnold. Can they move up to get him? I’m not sure, but if they do, a lot of the issues we talk about won’t be as big of issues within a year or so. 

Also, possibly dealing Tyrod and Glenn could help recoup some of the picks they lose in a potential trade up? (Not picks of the same quality, but at least to bring in quantity). 

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 2:37 PM, Tatonka68 said:

The Bills 1ST round picks should be around 20th (850 pts) & 22nd (780 pts) for a total of 1630 pts on the draft value chart. 1630 points is equal to the 6th pick in the draft. So could the draft end up like this?

1. Cleveland picks Josh Rosen QB, 2. NY Giants Sam Darnold QB, 3. San Francisco picks Saquon Barkley RB, 4. Indianapolis Mike McGlinchey OT, 5. Chicago Derwin James S.

then the Bills trade with Tampa for sixth pick and select Mason Rudolph QB Oklahoma ST.

most of the time I don't like trading up, let the draft come to you or trade down....spread the risk of injury and salary cap over more players

i'd pick Baker Mayfield with one of our late 1st....he's the next drew brees.

Rudolph will be a 2nd round pick

On 11/28/2017 at 8:11 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I’ve seen him about 4 or 5 times this year and he does nothing for me. QBs are all over he place though in terms of opinions. I’ve seen Lamar Jackson as high as 1 and others that hate him. I like him quite a bit as a prospect. I want one of the 2 California kids, Mayfield or Jackson. 

I had Rudolph as high as my QB2 at one point. I think as the season has gone one his issues have risen to the surface a little bit. I think he struggles with pressure.... and I mean of both kinds. Doesn't like rushers in his face tends to sail balls high in that scenario that will be picked off by ball hawking NFL safeties. But he also doesn't like mental pressure. I thought for much of Beldam he outplayed Baker Mayfield.... but when the game was on the line in the 4th Quarter one guy raised his level and the other dropped his. One of the things that won me round to Dak Prescott and one of the reasons I was so high on Deshaun Watson was they played their best in the biggest moments  

That said I am still higher than plenty of people in this thread on Rudolph. He is my QB4 and has an end of the 1st / top of the 2nd grade on my board. Think he would benefit not being rushed to start and also think he is a realistic target for Buffalo. I would not be on board with Jackson in the 1st. Still too much projection and guess work there and if we draft Josh Allen in the first I will find the nearest wall and bang my head against it repeatedly for the rest of Draft weekend. The people seeing Carson Wentz there should be seeing JP Losman. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/28/2017 at 2:37 PM, Tatonka68 said:

The Bills 1ST round picks should be around 20th (850 pts) & 22nd (780 pts) for a total of 1630 pts on the draft value chart. 1630 points is equal to the 6th pick in the draft. So could the draft end up like this?

1. Cleveland picks Josh Rosen QB, 2. NY Giants Sam Darnold QB, 3. San Francisco picks Saquon Barkley RB, 4. Indianapolis Mike McGlinchey OT, 5. Chicago Derwin James S.

then the Bills trade with Tampa for sixth pick and select Mason Rudolph QB Oklahoma ST.

Almost.

Baker Mayfield

2018 1st 18th 900
2018 1st 21st 800
2018 2nd 28th 300
2019 3rd 18th 180
2019 4th 18th 66pts
OT Cordy Glenn 200pts (End of 3rd Round Pick)
2446pts. according to Draft chart.

Glenn is a guess in his value, I figure he’s younger and has missed as many games as Duane Brown, so should have similar value, and this is low-balling that.

could this get us close to #2? Jump the Giants and take whomever of Darnold/Rosen is left?

In this case we could also trade Tyrod for whatever pick(s) we could get. Maybe a 3rd??? 

I am all for drafting a QB at all costs (including an epic trade-up) IF the Bills believe there's a franchise guy sitting there.

Why? Well, I don't disagree for a moment that the Bills have many needs, but it's really simple in the end: The NFL is a quarterback's league. You either have one -- and your team is a perennial contender for 10+ years -- or you don't, and you hope to get in on a Wild Card every couple of years.

During the drought, the Bills have -- at time -- had good defenses, good running games, good skill players, good linemen....the one constant is no franchise QB. This has to end at all costs. If the team AROUND said QB isn't ideal in year 1, it's okay. We've got to get the guy in the building, and we aren't likely to have a better opportunity to do so than next year, given all of our draft capital.

QB or bust 2018!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I am all for drafting a QB at all costs (including an epic trade-up) IF the Bills believe there's a franchise guy sitting there.

Why? Well, I don't disagree for a moment that the Bills have many needs, but it's really simple in the end: The NFL is a quarterback's league. You either have one -- and your team is a perennial contender for 10+ years -- or you don't, and you hope to get in on a Wild Card every couple of years.

During the drought, the Bills have -- at time -- had good defenses, good running games, good skill players, good linemen....the one constant is no franchise QB. This has to end at all costs. If the team AROUND said QB isn't ideal in year 1, it's okay. We've got to get the guy in the building, and we aren't likely to have a better opportunity to do so than next year, given all of our draft capital.

QB or bust 2018!

If he's there, you are correct and I agree. If we take a QB because he's a QB I disagree.

14 minutes ago, Logic said:

QB or bust 2018!

I agree. And I think Beane and McDermott agree. It’s why they accumulated so much Draft capital. They know it’s a quarterback league. They had Cam Newton in a division with guys like Matt Ryan, Drew Brees and Jameis Winston. 

San Francisco is in prime position to move down as well. 

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Problem will be finding a trade partner.  Giants will not trade down no matter what the offer.  And I’d be surprised if Cleveland made the same mistake yet again.

The wild card with the Giants is that we don't know what the coaching situation will be there next year and whether or not said coach (I'm guessing it won't be McAdoo) will want to do with Eli Manning.

That said, it's probably safe to assume the Giants and Browns both draft QBs. It's in the best interests of Bills fans to hope the 49ers get a top 3 pick, because they seem like prime partners to trade down, given their acquisition of Jimmy G.

• Like (+1) 1