2x1st Round Draft Picks

Tatonka68

If you want to get the QB you want, top 3 you will have to move up. I 100% support the move up for one of the top prospects from this class, fill in with FAs and then retool for 2019 draft to fix what else is needed. All starts with the right QB to build around, getting what's left is what stinks when they try to pretend they got who they wanted knowing he is not what they wanted it was what was left.

Assuming our pics are #20 and #22 means the Chiefs will have made the playoffs. I'm not sure their pick will be as low as it appeared it would be a few weeks ago. I could easily see the Chiefs having the #17 or #18 pick. We might even have back-to-back picks, or pretty close to it. 

2 minutes ago, WickedGame said:

Assuming our pics are #20 and #22 means the Chiefs will have made the playoffs. I'm not sure their pick will be as low as it appeared it would be a few weeks ago. I could easily see the Chiefs having the #17 or #18 pick. We might even have back-to-back picks, or pretty close to it. 

After watching the Chiefs this week, I'm not sure they make the playoffs. They have what, one game on LA?

43 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Let's put it this way:

If this regime decides to follow the CuddyDark method and bypasses QB for favor of OL, they'll be gone at the end of next season. Book it.

They're not going to commit that kind of career seppoku.

Use FA to handle the lines. Use the draft to secure the future of the franchise.

If the Bills end up 8-8, they'll likely be drafting in the middle of the round. And which game-changer QB is going to be there for them? So if they want a real shot at one of the top 3 QBs they'll have to trade up. That's going to cost a bunch of draft picks, which will impact filling all the other weak spots. So then this "stud" QB winds up behind the current O line or one very much like it, with a so-so situation with WRs and RBs, trying to adapt to the pro game while running for his life. So...voila, the Buffalo Colts.

Just now, yungmack said:

If the Bills end up 8-8, they'll likely be drafting in the middle of the round. And which game-changer QB is going to be there for them? So if they want a real shot at one of the top 3 QBs they'll have to trade up. That's going to cost a bunch of draft picks, which will impact filling all the other weak spots. So then this "stud" QB winds up behind the current O line or one very much like it, with a so-so situation with WRs and RBs, trying to adapt to the pro game while running for his life. So...voila, the Buffalo Colts.

For the third (or fourth) time in the thread:

Mason Rudolph. Size, arm strength, leadership, pedigree. DO IT.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Man, ned, when you're wrong, you're REALLY wrong. Coaching was just fine this past week. A bit conservative in the second half, but they seemingly addressed the defensive issues.

How was the coaching previous 2 weeks? 

You like 5int games from a rookie on the road with the playoffs in sight? 

Last week was better yes. 

4 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

After watching the Chiefs this week, I'm not sure they make the playoffs. They have what, one game on LA?

That's my point: I think the OP's assumption that we'd be bundling picks 20 and 22 is flawed. We may get to bundle 16 and 17. Small difference, but it adds up to points. Or bundle 16 and a player at a highly valued position...

1 hour ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I hate trading up for the 3rd choice at QB. Unless 6th pick is on the clock and Rosen is there.

I never understand this logic.  If the 3rd best QB is the 6th ranked player then what is the problem?  It is overall rank, not the position rank. Otherwise the #1 punter would always go in the first round.

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Ergo, the trade up. Do whatever it takes and build around THAT guy.

That's precisely the Devil's Deal. If the Bills stand pat, they are not likely to get the kind of QB that would make the big difference going forward. And if they bundle a bunch of picks to get that guy, they risk wrecking him because the Offense will continue to be mediocre because they gave up that bundle of picks.

Just now, yungmack said:

That's precisely the Devil's Deal. If the Bills stand pat, they are not likely to get the kind of QB that would make the big difference going forward. And if they bundle a bunch of picks to get that guy, they risk wrecking him because the Offense will continue to be mediocre because they gave up that bundle of picks.

Not necessarily. I think we're ok at receiver and TE. Could use FA to plug OL needs.

6 minutes ago, Dalton said:

I never understand this logic.  If the 3rd best QB is the 6th ranked player then what is the problem?  It is overall rank, not the position rank. Otherwise the #1 punter would always go in the first round.

Rudolph isn't the 6th ranked player in the draft. He's more likely in the 30-40 range and will likely go between picks 20 & 35. The point is that the cost is high regardless. If you're committing to trading up, you might as well position yourself to actually get the guy you want.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

30 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

Do not forget the trade value of Cordy Glenn. A left tackle is almost as valuable as a QB in some circles . He can have surgery on his problem feet/ankles and he is relatively young for a tackle We have a LT with Dawkins.

I don't think Dawkins is an OL I'd want at LT. More of a RT he's struggled in pass pro. Glenn is much better. 

25 minutes ago, WickedGame said:

The way the Chiefs played against us, they may not win another game this season.

38 minutes ago, Wily Dog said:

Do not forget the trade value of Cordy Glenn. A left tackle is almost as valuable as a QB in some circles . He can have surgery on his problem feet/ankles and he is relatively young for a tackle We have a LT with Dawkins.

And how does this improve the O line? Now you have to expend yet another of the dwindling draft picks plugging that hole.

Edited by yungmack

11 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

From your lips to God's ears. Could get him at our pick and lose none of the others.

...would be a great scenario.....on another note, I remember Astro's Drafttek site having Bflo as OL/DL or DL/OL in the 1st's and Falk in the 2nd at 43.....I don't get to see college ball, but is there any validity to this?...the Falk kid seems to have disappeared from the radar...........thanks bud........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Use FA to handle the lines. Use the draft to secure the future of the franchise.

This is fine as long as the future of the franchise is available when we draft.

And no way I'd bet the ranch on Jay Rosen.

He is an injury riddled head case.

44 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...would be a great scenario.....on another note, I remember Astro's Drafttek site having Bflo as OL/DL or DL/OL in the 1st's and Falk in the 2nd at 43.....I don't get to see college ball, but is there any validity to this?...the Falk kid seems to have disappeared from the radar...........thanks bud........

When I watch Falk I think Kyle Orton.  He has ZERO mobility.  When the rush comes in, he stand there and takes his lumps.  He'd get killed behind our line.

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Yikes.  That's a heavy price for a team with lots of holes to fill.  You're not trading into Cleveland or the Giants' spot, so you're likely looking at the third best qb on the board.

What's the track record on "3rd" QB's?
I think that'd be an interesting bit of research.

3 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

The Bills 1ST round picks should be around 20th (850 pts) & 22nd (780 pts) for a total of 1630 pts on the draft value chart. 1630 points is equal to the 6th pick in the draft. So could the draft end up like this?

1. Cleveland picks Josh Rosen QB, 2. NY Giants Sam Darnold QB, 3. San Francisco picks Saquon Barkley RB, 4. Indianapolis Mike McGlinchey OT, 5. Chicago Derwin James S.

then the Bills trade with Tampa for sixth pick and select Mason Rudolph QB Oklahoma ST.

They have enough to move into the top 5 if they wanted.

50 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I would think that McD would be sorely tempted to pick a stud Mike for his d.  If another Keuchly was sitting there, I think we'd be tempted.  That position means so much to this D.

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

No No No No No No No No No No

that's exactly what the Bills have done for their entire existence. Draft EVERYTHING but QB.

Time to do things differently.

Bills have not invested top picks in the OL. They invest mid to late round picks on guys who other teams pass on and then regret their decision.  They drafted EJM and Losman in the first round. I only see one bust at OL in the first round. The rest were solid contributors for many years. A change would be to build a solid OL unless an elite prospect drops to us at QB.  I've watches the "elites" in this draft and come away with doubts. 

Buffalo Bills first-round draft picks
Year Pick Player name Position College Notes
2016 19 Shaq Lawson Defensive end Clemson  
2015 No pick [3]
2014 4 Sammy Watkins Wide receiver Clemson  
2013 16 EJ Manuel Quarterback Florida State  
2012 10 Stephon Gilmore Cornerback South Carolina  
2011 3 Marcell Dareus Defensive tackle Alabama  
2010 9 C.J. Spiller Running back Clemson  
2009 11 Aaron Maybin Defensive end Penn State  
2009 28 Eric Wood Center Louisville  
2008 11 Leodis McKelvin Defensive back Troy  
2007 12 Marshawn Lynch Running back California  
2006 8 Donte Whitner Safety Ohio State  
2006 26 John McCargo Defensive tackle North Carolina State  
2005 No pick  
2004 13 Lee Evans Wide receiver Wisconsin  
2004 22 J. P. Losman Quarterback Tulane  
2003 23 Willis McGahee Running back Miami (FL)  
2002 4 Mike Williams Offensive tackle Texas  
2001 21 Nate Clements Defensive back Ohio State  
2000 26 Erik Flowers Defensive end Arizona State  
1999 23 Antoine Winfield Defensive back Ohio State  
1998 No pick  
1997 23 Antowain Smith Running back Houston  
1996 24 Eric Moulds Wide receiver Mississippi State  
1995 14 Ruben Brown Guard Pittsburgh  
1994 27 Jeff Burris Defensive back Notre Dame  
1993 28 Thomas Smith Defensive back North Carolina  
1992 27 John Fina Offensive tackle Arizona  
1991 26 Henry Jones Defensive back Illinois  
1990 16 James Williams Defensive back Fresno State  
1989 No pick  
1988 No pick  
1987 8 Shane Conlan Linebacker Penn State  
1986 16 Ronnie Harmon Running back Iowa  
1986 20 Will Wolford Offensive tackle Vanderbilt  
1985 1 Bruce Smith  ^  Defensive end Virginia Tech  
1985 14 Derrick Burroughs Defensive back Memphis State  
1984 26 Greg Bell Running back Notre Dame  
1983 12 Tony Hunter Tight end Notre Dame  
1983 14 Jim Kelly  ^  Quarterback Miami (FL)  
1982 19 Perry Tuttle Wide receiver Clemson  
1981 28 Booker Moore Running back Penn State  
1980 16 Jim Ritcher Center North Carolina State  
1979 1 Tom Cousineau Linebacker Ohio State  
1979 5 Jerry Butler Wide receiver Clemson  
1978 5 Terry Miller Running back Oklahoma State  
1977 12 Phil Dokes Defensive tackle Oklahoma State  
1976 18 Mario Clark Defensive back Oregon  
1975 19 Tom Ruud Linebacker Nebraska  
1974 18 Reuben Gant Tight end Oklahoma State  
1973 7 Paul Seymour Tight end Michigan  
1973 26 Joe DeLamielleure  ^  Guard Michigan State  
1972 1 Walt Patulski Defensive end Notre Dame  
1971 4 J. D. Hill Wide receiver Arizona State  
1970 5 Al Cowlings Defensive tackle Southern California  
1969 1 O.J. Simpson  ^  Running back USC  
1968 9 Haven Moses Wide receiver San Diego State  
1967 22 John Pitts Safety Arizona State  
1966 8 Mike Dennis Running back Ole Miss

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

For the third (or fourth) time in the thread:

Mason Rudolph. Size, arm strength, leadership, pedigree. DO IT.

Basically you want the Bills to draft like the Browns? See how that works? I'm all for a QB, but not just because he's there. Take Darnold or Rosen or Mayfield. If not wait. Don't just get a guy because you can. Mason Rudolph will probably be there with our second pick in the 1st round or our first pick in the second round.

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t hate trading up for a QB. I hate trading up for Mason Rudolph. I might be wrong but he’s the guy that I like least of the prospects to go early. 

This is the reason I don't like the notion of a tradeup for a QB.  Is Mason Rudolph the guy?  Is Baker Mayfield the better prospect?  Or Josh Rosen?  Or Josh Allen?   Or Lamar Jackson?  Even Clayton Thorson and Luke Falk are rated ahead of Mason Rudolph by some observers.  I'm not saying they are all better than Rudolph or that Rudolph couldn't be better than all of them.  I'm saying there is no consensus on how to rank all these QBs.  Now NFL GMs don't generally base their player rankings on what media guys think , or fan mock drafts, but the lack of consensus would seem to indicate that the QB picture is somewhat muddled at best.  It also seems that the lack of a clear picture on the ranking of the top QBs in this draft means a trade up for such a big question mark is awfully pricey.  If Brandon Beane disagrees and pulls the trigger on a trade up under those circumstances, he'd better be right.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

The Bills 1ST round picks should be around 20th (850 pts) & 22nd (780 pts) for a total of 1630 pts on the draft value chart. 1630 points is equal to the 6th pick in the draft. So could the draft end up like this?

1. Cleveland picks Josh Rosen QB, 2. NY Giants Sam Darnold QB, 3. San Francisco picks Saquon Barkley RB, 4. Indianapolis Mike McGlinchey OT, 5. Chicago Derwin James S.

then the Bills trade with Tampa for sixth pick and select Mason Rudolph QB Oklahoma ST.

Rudolph @ #6? Helllll to the no. He may not even be a first round pick. Surely not trading up to get him when he would be there when we pick anyway. I don't think any QB is worth the trade up and the only two I would want right now are Rosen or Mayfield. I still think Darnold goes back to USC next year. 

8 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Basically you want the Bills to draft like the Browns? See how that works? I'm all for a QB, but not just because he's there. Take Darnold or Rosen or Mayfield. If not wait. Don't just get a guy because you can. Mason Rudolph will probably be there with our second pick in the 1st round or our first pick in the second round.

Why those three? They're the guys -you- like?

I want no part of Darnold or Mayfield.

Rosen or Rudolph yes.

4 hours ago, yungmack said:

And how does this improve the O line? Now you have to expend yet another of the dwindling draft picks plugging that hole.

We have two starters at left tackle. Dawkins may not be as accomplished as Glenn but he is far cheaper and Glenn should bring suitable value when traded. You do not play two left tackles and i have not seen any desire by the coaching staff to put them anywhere else on the line. Therefore we are NOT creating a hole in the line unless you want to pay Cordy's salary to be a backup.

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Why those three? They're the guys -you- like?

I want no part of Darnold or Mayfield.

Rosen or Rudolph yes.

I don't like Rudolph because he don't fit our offense. He needs to play in the gun or a pistol. Bills under McDermott have shown they don't want to run that scheme.  

32 minutes ago, snafu said:

Jim Kelly, 1984, was one of them.

Big Ben, too.

Well... I really don't care Witch QB they get as long as it is one of the top 3 QB's and they do not horribly reach like they did Watkins. Our first 4 picks in my opinion we need.

QB

T

G

DT

We need to go all in on QB then it better be the best QB in draft for first pick or don't even bother.

8 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

hopefully we can stay where we're at and get baker mayfield.

Yes, getting him in our natural draft slot without trading up would be about as perfect as we are going to get.

That would make me happy.  Then pray to God he has "it" at the NFL level and we finally solve our F-ing QB situation for a while.