Tyrod to start vs Chiefs

YoloinOhio

Not surprising. But I doubt that it will really matter in the won / loss columns. With the mess at the right side of the Oline we failed to address in the off season. With our Oline coaching and scheme, any QB is doomed to fail. Our WR talent is weak beyond our two new rentals. Which QB we start will not make injured players suddenly heal. The Bills have devastated the talent level on the DL and the LBs with losses, age and foolish trades. The only bright spots left on the D are the corners and the safeties.  The QB we choose will not magically fix our putrid D. It will not make our D suddenly remember how to tackle. It will not make our Oline learn how to block and protect.  It will not polish the old turds we have in Vlad and Mills, or turn an old career backup RB like Tolbert into a young productive stud. Our player personnel beyond our kicker and our backfield are worse than even last year. We acquired a bunch of good old boy buddies from  management's and coach's former teams that are not building the team for the future. At this point, the season is over from mismanagement and a highly questionable  belief in future pipe dreams. I do think we should give NP one last chance later in the season to show he actually isn't the steaming pile he appeared to be in the last half he played in.

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

That might make some sense if they werwnt giving up points in the first half too. Sure the offense goes three and out. That could be negated if the defense got off the field on third down instead of drives that go all the way downfield. 

The Saints had 17 first-half points to the Bills 3. The Jets had 10 points in the first half, to the Bills 7. 

You guys act like the game was already over before halftime, when each of those was well within reach. It wasn't until the second half when the defense started to get tired that things went south. 

In each of those games, the opposing team had the time of possession advantage. In fact, the Saints had double the time of possession. 

I'm not saying blame Tyrod for the defenses poor performance, but when people say "Tyrod didn't give up 47 points." I think that's a BS state because he was a major contributor to the Saints game. 

22 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

disagree, it makes it look like the coach has no idea what he is doing. 

You already told the world you don't think Taylor is good enough. You went to a guy, it backfired, but now you are going to say the guy you benched is now your best player.

So, is it that McD is admitting he was wrong or that he's too scared to lose the team or that he's just to weak to stand up to his decision?

it was a lose-lose decision no matter what.

You can’t fault McD for benching Tyrod. All year long he has struggled at times. Yes he’s made plays, but also hasn’t been consistent. Yes it’s much bigger than just Tyrod, but hopefully it lit a fire under him and hopefully the team will be refreshed to see him back out there and ready to battle.

either way I feel this team goes 3-3 the next 6 weeks even with Tyrod. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Carried?

They forced turnovers which the offense turned into points. 

The lack of talent has caught up to them and the Dareus trade was the straw that broke the camels back. Teams run at will on us now.

Agree on most, disagree that any of our qb's should see the field 

24 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I guess, but didn't he also give up a strip sack? Just a more aggressive version of himself.

Not sure Taylor's problem has been strip sacks. I like a more aggressive version of the QB who most complain is not aggressive enough.

Plus, that's like someone saying "so-and-so HB or WR looked like he was playing more aggressive last week" and getting a response "yeah, but he fumbled."

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Except most of those turnovers were do to sloppy play by the other ten players. Like I said, they played like crap two weeks before the change. If they didn't like it they should have played better.

This narrative is terribly inaccurate.  I will concede the first one.  Ball placement could have been better and maybe there was too much velocity on the throw to a guy who was targeted maybe 2 other times all year.  Yes as a professional and one of the highest paid and more versatile fb in the league you need to make that catch and break a tackle or 2.  From that point forward those are all on Nathan.  It is on the QB to protect the football.  Also, the QB is allowed to move in the pocket.  Nothing states he has to stand on the exact spot of his drop.  Throwing late over the middle off his back foot may work for Rodgers or another Qb with incredible arrm talent but that is not Peterman and he knows it.  Heaving up 2 arm punts, starring down an out vs cover  2 and air mailing a curl points to the quarterback not being ready.  Saying its on 10 other guys to make up for poor throws and poor decisions is wrong.  

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Lost the team? Why don't they show some pride and actually do their jobs?

Agreed - if there is anyone on that team that thinks they lost solely because of playing Peterman instead of Taylor, then they need to take a long look in the mirror.

The defense overall and the OL are a shambles.  I know KC is struggling, but I’ll be very surprised if KC doesn’t score at least 30.

17 minutes ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

You can’t fault McD for benching Tyrod. All year long he has struggled at times. Yes he’s made plays, but also hasn’t been consistent. Yes it’s much bigger than just Tyrod, but hopefully it lit a fire under him and hopefully the team will be refreshed to see him back out there and ready to battle.

either way I feel this team goes 3-3 the next 6 weeks even with Tyrod. 

I think 3-3 is optistic with the way the defense has been exposed.

Tyrod is the obvious choice. Tyrod is the better Quarterback. Nate wasn't ready for the big show. It would look real bad to start Nate again if he has to be pulled at the half because of a similar performance.

It really doesn't matter who you start because the entire team is in decline but the rookie just played to aggressive and made to many poor choices to be considered right now. 

I wanted to see Nate and I applauded the bold move but in hindsight it was a bad move. I don't care how bad anyone thinks Tyrod is because it wasn't 5 interceptions and being pulled at the half bad. I don't care how much of it was on Nate he just wasn't productive with his chance and Tyrod will never be that bad.

Edited by Lfod

28 minutes ago, zow2 said:

For anyone to come on this board and suggest McD is stupid for going back to Tyrod or "has no balls" is ridiculous.....that is so disingenuous.   If McD came back and started Peterman at Arrowhead this week he should be fired on the spot.  No NFL coach, GM or owner would ever sign off on putting back in a rookie with zero body of work after that disaster.  It would be career suicide.

This!

I'm sure when we're down 35-3 he'll put Peterman back in.  Switching the QBs we have is the least of our problems.  We don't have an NFL qb- that is the biggest problems.  We passed on Mohomes and Watson and built draft capital.  This capital needs to be spent on a quaterback.  Move up and get your guy, even if it takes adding next years number 1.

32 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I don't see it as a weak move by McDermott.   In fact, it's a good sign.  

I'm relieved that he didn't start Peterman out of some demonstration of will or "trust" in the process but instead, made a decision based on facts to win a football game.  

Fact:  Peterman was terrible, regardless if he "fits" what "their" offense is looking for in a QB.  

Fact:  Taylor was better, regardless if he doesn't "fit" what "their" offense is looking for in a QB.  

I don't fault anybody who wanted a QB change.  At the time Peterman was a relative unknown quantity.  Nobody knew for sure how he'd do starting a game against the opposition's A team talent.

Now we know.  No need to have another grenade go off in an enclosed space. 

I just wish he'd do the same for the problems that plague the OL - and make some changes there.

No anyone with any shred of knowledge knew it was foolhardy and a disaster......  The fact it was worse then anticipated and comedically inept was the whipped cream and cherry on top.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

When oh when will this fan base stop blaming the OC and realize the issue is with the QB? The Bills can try 13232332 OC's with the QB's we have had: Same results. NOTHING will change.

when comparing previous seasons is no longer an option. simply look at last season vs this season. other than shipping away Gills (another silly move), this offense is the same. the only thing that changed, was the coaching.

47 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Tryrod needs to understand WHY he was benched, AND correct his game.  I hope he gets it.

Oh yeah he probably gets it, no doubt. He just isn't a good enough QB to do anything about it. He may try and he'll fail but in the end I think he will revert right  back to typical, not good enough Tyrod. 

What was that stat and correct me if i'm wrong, somebody posted in another thread about the Bills only scoring 9 ppg with Tyrod when the turnovers are equal or minus and only 23 ppg when the Bills are like +3 or something like that in the turnovers. That's absolutely horrible.   

51 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Playing to win THIS season is, was, and always will be the WRONG move.

But again, this is unsurprising. Coaching to keep the rabble happy.

I kmow. Bills fans aren’t used to winning. So the act of trying to win feels wrong.  

McDermott is now looking about as weak a coach as any. Didn't sell his decisions. Didn't make any adequate adjustments in game or from week to week. Can't admit when he screws up. Doesn't seem to have confidence of the team at the moment.  I KEPT waiting for him to show me that he can make adjustments when things go south. Those are all hallmarks of good coaching. I'm still waiting. As nice a man as he is, he is perhaps about as ready as Peterman for his job.

We can all look at this negatively. But, maybe this lights a fire under Tyrod, maybe he was sitting there thinking he was untouchable and this was the rude awakening he needed to get out there and be hungry and take shots downfield. Similar to the end of last year when he was trying to show what he was capable of.

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No anyone with any shred of knowledge knew it was foolhardy and a disaster......  The fact it was worse then anticipated and comedically inept was the whipped cream and cherry on top.

Not sticking up for Petermans terrible performance but the coaching staff did absolutely nothing to help out a rookie QB in his first start against a superior pass rush and quality defense. As much as Peterman stunk I blame the coaches more. Peterman was put into a no win situation. 

This team is in full on joke mode. Let's play for today....no, let's play for the future...wait, let's play for today again! This team blows so why not start the guy who will probably get cut anyway? Afraid of losing the team? These losers did this to themselves weeks ago and now there is not good reason at all to watch them....

This is honestly the right move, and might be a good thing for both QB's both in the short and long term.

I still think we'll see NP again this year but might as well see if Taylor can show something different against a terrible Chiefs defense. Believe it or not this game is winnable although in the end I still expect another loss even if it's not by 20 - 30 points.

37 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Except most of those turnovers were do to sloppy play by the other ten players. Like I said, they played like crap two weeks before the change. If they didn't like it they should have played better.

I really shoud not make this comment but your post made me think  of it 

Funny how we hear Team Wins, Team Losses,   except for one small item.  how poorly or well the QB plays behind the OLine and whether or not his initials are TT 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

As of right now today, this coaching staff is a joke, from Beane right on down. Hope it gets better because I can't imagine the Pegulas are a okay with how this looks on the surface. I have to believe TPegs didn't think things would rival the previous circus under Rex.  

36 minutes ago, Watkins90 said:

The Saints had 17 first-half points to the Bills 3. The Jets had 10 points in the first half, to the Bills 7. 

You guys act like the game was already over before halftime, when each of those was well within reach. It wasn't until the second half when the defense started to get tired that things went south. 

In each of those games, the opposing team had the time of possession advantage. In fact, the Saints had double the time of possession. 

I'm not saying blame Tyrod for the defenses poor performance, but when people say "Tyrod didn't give up 47 points." I think that's a BS state because he was a major contributor to the Saints game. 

Let me try this another way... the Bills offense is 24th in 3 and outs per drive. The Jags offense is 22nd in 3 and outs per drive. Why isn't the Jags D tired and giving up 30 to 40 ppg?

The reason is because their defense is good and the best in football right now at getting off the field on third down. Our defense is the worst at getting off the field on third down because they are bad. 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

This team is in full on joke mode. Let's play for today....no, let's play for the future...wait, let's play for today again! This team blows so why not start the guy who will probably get cut anyway? Afraid of losing the team? These losers did this to themselves weeks ago and now there is not good reason at all to watch them....

Why is that a joke?  They can try to win today AND try to build for the future.  I understand that those are competing priorities, but they are not mutually exclusive as some in the media and here suggest.

40 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I agree with you there - TT wouldn't have fared any better given that the line can't block.  But he might not have lost the lockerroom and again, I'm concerned about their overall player evaluation skills.  How does Ducasse look against the live bullets?

Really?  He's had to deal with the Oline all year long.  It simply took a pocket passer with limited mobility to show how much Taylor had been covering up due to his ability to scramble.  Kinda sad that it took Peterman getting killed to appreciate Taylor's ability to 1) escape pressure and 2) not turn the ball over very much.

Just now, Scott7975 said:

Let me try this another way... the Bills offense is 24th in 3 and outs per drive. The Jags offense is 22nd in 3 and outs per drive. Why isn't the Jags D tires and giving up 30 to 40 ppg?

The reason is because their defense is good and the best in football right now at getting off the field on third down. Our defense is the worst at getting off the field on third down because they are bad. 

Too bad we couldn't have a coach like Doug Marrone, oh wait...

9 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

Not sticking up for Petermans terrible performance but the coaching staff did absolutely nothing to help out a rookie QB in his first start against a superior pass rush and quality defense. As much as Peterman stunk I blame the coaches more. Peterman was put into a no win situation. 

I would think the vast majority, if not all of the posters on this board agree.  NP was not a world beater coming out of college so I, personally, wan't shocked he struggled so much.  

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

I was one of the few that actually liked Marrone. 

I think Marrone would have stuck with Peterman because he's too stubborn to admit a mistake. And that's why I'm coming around to McD's decision. He's a first year HC, mistakes are going to happen. I can accept that as long as he grows from them. Surely we will see Peterman in action again some time as well. Hopefully he also grows from his experience.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Taylor is the best QB on the team period. Play to win.  That's the job of the HC. 

You oversimplify the play to win notion.  Taylor is not a consistent winner.  IMO the job of the coach is to consistently win by improving the play of the team.  Tyrod has hit a ceiling and other teams have recognized it.

1 minute ago, PeterGriffin said:

you don't start your rookie on the road (on the west coast no less), against the league's best pass rush. that move alone reflects extremely poorly on McD in many ways. 

honestly, he isn't putting either qb in the best position to win.