Tyrod to start vs Chiefs

YoloinOhio

Last Sunday and Monday, Tyrod was the starter. Then on Tuesday he wasn’t. On Wednesday McD blabbed about winning now and in the future like he always does. Now he flip flopped back to Tyrod. Why even make the change in the first place? This guy is clueless.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The question was: if Peterman keeps playing (meaning right now), just what do you think you're evaluating and why are you evaluating it?

Instead of putting words in my mouth, can you explain?

Well technically you'd be evaluating Nathan Peterman. 

I'm sure I'm in the vast minority here but I think coach McD is making good decisions.  Good decision to start Peterman after some very shaky play from Tyrod.  Good decision to get Peterman out of there after first half last week.  Good decision to put Tyrod back at the helm.....for now.

The Bills weren't winning that game last week with either QB.  They were outplayed by a better team of players.  The coaching staff more than ever now has Tyrod's attention after benching him and Peterman knows he's really got to go back to work.  That and the offensive line and defense have a lot to prove after some awful performances.  The entire team has a ton of motivation to play better this week. 

Edited by keepthefaith

55 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Taylor's not the future.

Starting him does nothing to advance the cause of drafting a QB next draft.

OK, I think "advance the cause of drafting a QB next draft" means "lose games"

So your reason to think we should start Peterman is so we can lose more games?

Frankly, the way the D played vs Jets and N'Orleans, I think we have all the ability we need to lose games on that side of the ball, and Taylor might give us more opportunity to evaluate Dennison and the WR we brought in.

Is it OK for me to root for the Bills to win this week?  Seriously, some "fans" here are just poisoned into thinking losing is the best option to cure all ills.

Anyway,  can McD and his staff actually coach the team up this week please.  I'm losing faith in all of them.  Never have I seen what was a decent team get blown away 3 games in a row like this.  It's embarrassing.  This coach had better show something this week and get these players to perform.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'd ask the same question for Nate now that I asked going into last year with Taylor's 'prove it' situation. Do we have the pieces in place around him to get a proper evaluation?

Obviously you'd like to have the Cowboys o line, Texans WRs and Leveon Bell but you have to make do with what you have. If you have to wait for the ideal conditions for a proper evaluation, you may be evaluating the wrong guy. A little adversity can be a good thing.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, I think "advance the cause of drafting a QB next draft" means "lose games"

So your reason to think we should start Peterman is so we can lose more games?

Frankly, the way the D played vs Jets and N'Orleans, I think we have all the ability we need to lose games on that side of the ball, and Taylor might give us more opportunity to evaluate Dennison and the WR we brought in.

Oh oh........  Making sense again.

If we do somehow get a top QB in the top half of the 1st round of the draft, wouldn't it too make sense to ease him in unless he is so impressive in camp and pre-season.  And no Peterman should not start in 2018........  

LOL at this thread.  All the Peterman backers pointing to the OL being the problem and not giving him a chance but fail to recognize TT playing with the same OL was putting up historically low turnover #s. 

Someone even posted that throwing for 300 yards and a 1:1 TD INT ratio was better than throwing for < 200yds and a 4:1 ratio as if:

A) that makes any logical sense???

B) Peterman was capable of throwing for 300 yds and a 1/1 ratio???

C) Ignoring that in 2017 only 1 QB in the league is averaging more than 300 yds a game (Tom Brady) and only 12 QBs are averaging > 250yds a game

D) Ignoring that players who have averaged > 240yds and a 1:1 TD/INT ratio this season include Kirk Cousins (4-6), Philip Rivers (4-6), Jameis WInston (4-6), Derek Carr (4-6)

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Obviously you'd like to have the Cowboys o line, Texans WRs and Leveon Bell but you have to make do with what you have. If you have to wait for the ideal conditions for a proper evaluation, you may be evaluating the wrong guy. A little adversity can be a good thing.

I'm not suggesting waiting for ideal conditions, but until you have an OL that can actually hold their blocks long enough to execute a 3 step drop you might want to evaluate the QB in a controlled environment (assuming it's an option).

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The question was: if Peterman keeps playing (meaning right now), just what do you think you're evaluating and why are you evaluating it?

Instead of putting words in my mouth, can you explain?

Well, for all intents and purposes, all we would really be seeing is just how bad the whole damn team STINKS.

Unfortunately, for Peterman, poor decisions made his debut in the NFL a nightmare to live down. Now he gets to sit the bench and relive that **** storm with no real way to work past it.

I really have lost all respect for the new coaching staff. 

5 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

LOL at this thread.  All the Peterman backers pointing to the OL being the problem and not giving him a chance but fail to recognize TT playing with the same OL was putting up historically low turnover #s. 

Someone even posted that throwing for 300 yards and a 1:1 TD INT ratio was better than throwing for < 200yds and a 4:1 ratio as if:

A) that makes any logical sense???

B) Peterman was capable of throwing for 300 yds and a 1/1 ratio???

C) Ignoring that in 2017 only 1 QB in the league is averaging more than 300 yds a game (Tom Brady) and only 12 QBs are averaging > 250yds a game

D) Ignoring that players who have averaged > 240yds and a 1:1 TD/INT ratio this season include Kirk Cousins (4-6), Philip Rivers (4-6), Jameis WInston (4-6), Derek Carr (4-6)

Yeah I really hate the 300yd thing. It means absolutely nothing to me. Good point, about the league average in yards pretty much being around 250yds per game.

6 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'm not suggesting waiting for ideal conditions, but until you have an OL that can actually hold their blocks long enough to execute a 3 step drop you might want to evaluate the QB in a controlled environment (assuming it's an option).

I'm honestly fine with throwing a guy in there behind our line. They're not great, at all, and they likely won't be for the foreseeable future, so you need to have a guy throwing who can deal with that.

Well he does give us the best chance to win, which fits with the win now  philosophy, but McD also knows tt isn't the future and so he hinders the development of win latter.

3 hours ago, PIZ said:

Tryrod needs to understand WHY he was benched, AND correct his game.  I hope he gets it.

Not going to get it, hasn't gotten it by now he never will.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Just now, NoPlayoffs said:

FWIW, there are seven active quarterbacks who have won a Super Bowl.  Only one of them (Eli) was drafted in the top 8.

How many were first rounders?

And how many teams are looking at qbs this year?

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Do you guys get in fights in south Jersey too,  ;)

nah, he's probably one of those tight-asses from cherry hill.

With the way the run game has been playing imo if Buffalo's defense can make some stops and get a turnover the KC game will be a toss up.  There are starting to get the same big plays out of the running game.  They need to start taking advantage of them and scoring Tds.  if the team can make a stop and the offense can immediately drive down and score that will go a long way in curing the issues and confidence problem the team has right now.  

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

And how many teams are looking at qbs this year?

Working from the top of my head, so forgive any inaccuracies.

Big Ben, Manning, Flacco, and Rodgers were 1st rounders

Brees was a 2nd Rounder

Wilson was a 3rd Rounder

and Brady is a :censored:

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Working from the top of my head, so forgive any inaccuracies.

Big Ben, Manning, Flacco, and Rodgers were 1st rounders

Brees was a 2nd Rounder

Wilson was a 3rd Rounder

and Brady is a :censored:

how about part two?

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

:lol:

Do yous know each other?

nah

3 hours ago, jkirchofer said:

Makes me lose confidence in McDermott moving forward. I want a head coach that will stick with a decision. This season is already done with, spend the time evaluating instead of allowing Taylor to audition for other teams.

I don't get this POV. Since he's been here, Tyrod has been much better than all other QBs. And with EJ, Cardale, Peterman and most likely Webb, he's been better by a ton! They HAVE to keep him next year unless they sign a Luck or Cousins. Even if you supposedly draft Mr Savior competition is good. His pay next year takes a drastic upward jump, but it is still in line with what middle-of-the-pack QBs make in the NFL. Whoever is there they'll have to pay him!

Not keeping him = tanking in 2018. Is that really what you guys want? Yeah yeah Tyrod is not a top tier QB, but he's by far the best on the roster! I don't get this obsession of getting rid of him when the others aren't even close to him.

12 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Irrelevant.  We have a first round pick no matter what and I expect us to use it on a QB wherever it may fall.  However,  you are advocating tanking for a top 8 pick.  That implies that you think picks 1 to 8 are where the hardware winning guys get taken.  I was simply stating that Super Bowl winning quarterbacks mostly come from outside of that range.

1 hour ago, keepthefaith said:

I'm sure I'm in the vast minority here but I think coach McD is making good decisions.  Good decision to start Peterman after some very shaky play from Tyrod.  Good decision to get Peterman out of there after first half last week.  Good decision to put Tyrod back at the helm.....for now.

The Bills weren't winning that game last week with either QB.  They were outplayed by a better team of players.  The coaching staff more than ever now has Tyrod's attention after benching him and Peterman knows he's really got to go back to work.  That and the offensive line and defense have a lot to prove after some awful performances.  The entire team has a ton of motivation to play better this week. 

I feel the same way.  I don't think they put Peterman in thinking he was a better QB, I think they believed he could run the offense better.  When TT came into the game, he actually threw the ball down field!  It was a very expensive lesson, but I hope he learned.  I would imagine TT will be on a short leash as well, if he doesn't start trusting his throws, he gets pulled. 

I understand all the debate as to whether TT is being limited by the coaching staff as well.  I do not believe that,  I believe they are trying to make him an all around QB.  Yes, they can tailor an offense that fits his running skills, but that becomes easy to defend.  The Peterman throw over the middle to KB is impossible to stop, TT needs to trust that throw and have the defense respect the pass.    If he doesn't become multidimensional get ready for more 3 and outs....

Edited by ricojes

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Last Sunday and Monday, Tyrod was the starter. Then on Tuesday he wasn’t. On Wednesday McD blabbed about winning now and in the future like he always does. Now he flip flopped back to Tyrod. Why even make the change in the first place? This guy is clueless.

The change was made due to TT’s performance and 2.5 years of film on him playing qb in the nfl. They thought NP was ready and wanted to see if the offense would improve. He wasn’t ready. They were wrong in thinking he was. They switched back. It doesn’t mean they think think any more of TT than they did before last week’s game. It means they wanted to see if they had a better alternative. They don’t at this time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

The change was made due to TT’s performance and 2.5 years of film on him playing qb in the nfl. They thought NP was ready and wanted to see if the offense would improve. He wasn’t ready. They were wrong in thinking he was. They switched back. It doesn’t mean they think think any more of TT than they did before last week’s game. It means they wanted to see if they had a better alternative. They don’t at this time. 

For some reason this is really, really hard for people to understand.

4 hours ago, PIZ said:

Tryrod needs to understand WHY he was benched, AND correct his game.  I hope he gets it.

It's never been a lack of effort or preparation by Tyrod.  He's been trying to make himself a better quarterback since he got in this league.  It's just that his ceiling makes him an average NFL starter.  

6 minutes ago, ricojes said:

When TT came into the game, he actually threw the ball down field!  It was a very expensive lesson, but I hope he learned.  I would imagine TT will be on a short leash as well, if he doesn't start trusting his throws, he gets pulled. 

Last game, TT played exactly the same way he has been doing all season.  There was no difference.  It just that now, people who can't admit they were horrendously wrong about Peterman are trying to move to a narrative that somehow the benching "fixed" Tyrod.  That's just a way for people to try and salvage a silver lining from their dumb opinions.  Just admit you were wrong.

11 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

I don't get this POV. Since he's been here, Tyrod has been much better than all other QBs. And with EJ, Cardale, Peterman and most likely Webb, he's been better by a ton! They HAVE to keep him next year unless they sign a Luck or Cousins. Even if you supposedly draft Mr Savior competition is good. His pay next year takes a drastic upward jump, but it is still in line with what middle-of-the-pack QBs make in the NFL. Whoever is there they'll have to pay him!

Not keeping him = tanking in 2018. Is that really what you guys want? Yeah yeah Tyrod is not a top tier QB, but he's by far the best on the roster! I don't get this obsession of getting rid of him when the others aren't even close to him.

Sure, Taylor has been good to a certain degree....everyone likes to flaunt the 11 touchdowns to 3 interceptions ratio, but Taylor is in the bottom third in just about every major statistical area among qualified quarterbacks. To say he is better than anyone coming out in the draft (Jackson, Rosen, Darnold, Allen, etc...) or someone available via free agency (Keenum, Cousins, Bradford, etc...) is a gross overstatement. The only advantage is that he can run, which is certainly a positive, but not enough to keep him under center for the Bills.

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It's so much easier to understand when you break it down scientifically. 

1 minute ago, jkirchofer said:

Sure, Taylor has been good to a certain degree....everyone likes to flaunt the 11 touchdowns to 3 interceptions ratio, but Taylor is in the bottom third in just about every major statistical area among qualified quarterbacks. To say he is better than anyone coming out in the draft (Jackson, Rosen, Darnold, Allen, etc...) or someone available via free agency (Keenum, Cousins, Bradford, etc...) is a gross overstatement. The only advantage is that he can run, which is certainly a positive, but not enough to keep him under center for the Bills.

I mentioned that if they did sign a Cousins / Luck /Alex Smith then yeah, they can cut him. Otherwise you have 2 rookies as your #1 & 2, your future draft pick and Peterman. Really?

Remember the "Tyrod is a bridge QB"? That is still the case... and as of now that bridge leads to nowhere so better stay on it!

4 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I think he had too.  He almost certainly would have lost the team.  I think what took him so long was KC had to wait to prepare fully

4 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Safe to say McDermott checked down on the QB decision and played it safe. As expected.

McCoach must realize that his situation with his players is beyond precarious.  I had a feeling after Monday's PC and his segment with Schopp and Bulldog that he was going to be intransigent about his original decision and go with Peterman - especially after his comments about not committing to meet with the leadership counsel.

I think that McCoach probably already lost the team. He better hope for a couple of wins, but I have a feeling that the bills are going to lose the next two games . . . and it is just a question of how badly they lose.  I suspect the Pats game is not going to be pretty at all.