Tyrod to start vs Chiefs

YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not me. I still consider it to be among the biggest miscalculations I've ever seen by a Bills' HC.  Just a horrendous blunder. 

You know I respect your posts.....

I am just saying that Peterman (in theory) did seem to fit the offense better then TT did......they have taken away all of Tyrod's ability to throw deep....replaced by big physical slot guys where Tyrod does not feel that comfortable throwing.....and it seems to be a 3 step and fire offense which Tyrod does not do.

Now....the Peterman start WAS a disaster.....but i cannot blame a HC for doing something drastic trying to save the season.....

QB isnt even the biggest problem on the team.

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Again: I would like to understand in what way you feel starting Peterman would be "doing it for the future"?  I'm trying to grasp the mindset.

Taylor's not the future.

Starting him does nothing to advance the cause of drafting a QB next draft.

3 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

You know I respect your posts.....

I am just saying that Peterman (in theory) did seem to fit the offense better then TT did......they have taken away all of Tyrod's ability to throw deep....replaced by big physical slot guys where Tyrod does not feel that comfortable throwing.....and it seems to be a 3 step and fire offense which Tyrod does not do the OL does not allow.

Now....the Peterman start WAS a disaster.....but i cannot blame a HC for doing something drastic trying to save the season.....

QB isnt even the biggest problem on the team.

fixed for accuracy.

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Quoted you twice just to say making people uncomfortable with your stupidity is less a quest for truth than the internet equivalent of drinking bleach. Great joke.

Why are you so sensitive. How else am I supposed to take someone who wants to play Peterman again over Tyrod. Especially when I didn't get the move in the first place.

You're sensitive for a reason, quote me twice again. I'm collecting royalties. Like it makes a difference quoting twice for emphasis might be the dumbest decision I've seen since the Bills started Peterman. Get used to that one, it has staying power. He did things no man has ever done.

And never said making people uncomfortable was my "quest" but you just don't... Eh I'll stop not worth it.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

I rarely disagree with Shaw but will do so here.  McD I think is a very calculating guy ,and does not make rash decisions.  I believe he looked hard at the data up to last week's game, watched eternam in practice, and felt that starting him may be an upgrade to the offense.  So he started, and it was in his words a calculated risk.  And it didn't pan out.  Now he knows that, he knows putting him back in after having his confidence shaken in a snakepit like Arrowhead would not be a good move, so he goes back to his veteran.  Will the one game benching light a fire under TT?  Let's hope so.  regardless, I don't see him losing the team over this.  He explains why he makes decisions, has taken responsibility for this one, and in the end is making what he feels are the best moves to keep this team in the payoff picture AND for long term growth.

33 minutes ago, Hurricane Marv said:

Yeah, I'd much prefer to see him completely ruin Peterman's career in addition to giving up on the team and season...

You do realize that the alternative floor is 5 interceptions in a half?

I'm shocked that people are seemingly against this decision.  Peterman was historically bad, and that's not hyperbole.  It's not good for him as a person or player to go back out there this week.

So he threw 5 interceptions in his very first start opposed to 56 yards and went 3 and out over and over in his 38th start.

One game was 54-24 the other was 47-10, you really think there is a difference there? 

25 minutes ago, Hurricane Marv said:

So let's trot out the completely unready 5th round rookie who just had one of the worst stat lines in NFL history.  Maybe he'll injure himself in addition to throwing multiple picks this time.  

Madness.

It took the obligatory 6 weeks  for coordinators to catch up to our defense and offense and now it doesn't matter what we do Taylor can't dissect a defense from the pocket and Peterman not ready throw in this defense is awful and here we are. We may not win another game this season.

4 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Why are you so sensitive. How else am I supposed to take someone who wants to play Peterman again over Tyrod. Especially when I didn't get the move in the first place.

You're sensitive for a reason, quote me twice again. I'm collecting royalties. Like it makes a difference quoting twice for emphasis might be the dumbest decision I've seen since the Bills started Peterman. Get used to that one, it has staying power. He did things no man has ever done.

And never said making people uncomfortable was my "quest" but you just don't... Eh I'll stop not worth it.

You are a legitimate moron. 

9 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yep. He backed himself into a corner. He made a horrendous decision and now was faced with two no win (perhaps literally) choices. But at least he made the lesser of evils choice here. He could have compounded his error. 

I agree.

Now let's see how Taylor responds.

2 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

So he threw 5 interceptions in his very first start opposed to 56 yards and went 3 and out over and over in his 38th start.

One game was 54-24 the other was 47-10, you really think there is a difference there? 

Flacco threw for 28 yards and 2 INTs through 3 quarters in his 141st start. There was no push to start Mallett over him. QBs will have bad games. Knee-jerk reactions aren't the solution, especially when you're still in playoff position.

• Like (+1) 1

The only other option in that game was to take the sacks and pass for 54 yards at the half. We already have Taylor for that, I would rather let a rookie pass the football and throw int's like Peyton and Farve did in their rookie years then have them be gun shy like Edwards and Taylor.

This whole game was a recipe for disaster. You have the Bills weak O-Line vs the best D-Line with a rookie QB who is not afraid to throw the ball into tight windows. I really don't think this game will define Peterman as a QB, I am 100% sure Peterman will get another shot once we are eliminated for the playoffs.

24 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not me. I still consider it to be among the biggest miscalculations I've ever seen by a Bills' HC.  Just a horrendous blunder. 

Agreed.  This one decision above all else really soured me on this regime.  Usually it's the middle of year 2 before that happens!  I am glad to see that he was able to admit the mistake and wasn't stubborn so I guess I'll give him a little credit there.

6 minutes ago, PeterGriffin said:

Yes, of course I think there's a world of difference between turning the ball over 5 times, and not turning it over at all, passing yardage and fantasy stats aside. 

46 minutes ago, Hurricane Marv said:

Yeah, I'd much prefer to see him completely ruin Peterman's career in addition to giving up on the team and season...

You do realize that the alternative floor is 5 interceptions in a half?

I'm shocked that people are seemingly against this decision.  Peterman was historically bad, and that's not hyperbole.  It's not good for him as a person or player to go back out there this week.

If Peterman can't handle adversity/shake off a crap performance, then he's not the guy and won't have a career, anyway.

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Flacco threw for 28 yards and 2 INTs through 3 quarters in his 141st start. There was no push to start Mallett over him. QBs will have bad games. Knee-jerk reactions aren't the solution, especially when you're still in playoff position.

I'm no Flacco fan and he isn't very good anymore but Joe has simply accomplished way more and earned the right to some bad games, Tyrod not so much.  

44 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

It's not only not stupid, it's the only decision. 

He tried another option, and it failed. Starting Peterman is, quite simply, illogical and bad PR at this point. Peterman is not ready, it would destroy his career, and if he played badly again there would be hell and no one would show up. 

It was 30 minutes of football, not 2.5 years.

The Bills set a season ticket sales record in Rex Ryan's second year.  If you think starting Peterman is going to make people stop going to Bills games, then I don't know what to tell you.

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

And Tyrod has done more to earn a bad game than Peterman, no?

No, and the coaches didn't think so either, and it's been a lot more than just one bad game.

Edited by PeterGriffin
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

If Peterman can't handle adversity/shake off a crap performance, then he's not the guy and won't have a career, anyway.

But it's a statistically unprecedented level of adversity.

I mean, he's not dealing with an off-field issue or crime so I guess it could always be worse, but statistically speaking, no rookie back-up QB has ever come back from throwing 5 interceptions in his first game...in a half.

It is truly uncharted territory so I think it's a leap of faith to think he can ever shake it off.

Edited by Hurricane Marv

They really need to fix the O-line.  Tyrod is not a good qb, imo, but he makes the execrable line look better than it is, which is not to say he makes them look good.  I don't think it is doing Peterman a service throwing him back out there if they can't protect him.  DIfficult to have confidence in this regime, but we're stuck with it so hoping for the best.

59 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Someone pointed out in another thread, the competitive advantage of this was minimal.  "OK boys, Taylor is the QB.  Keep him in the pocket and cover the WR for 3 seconds.  If by some chance McDermott does go with Peterman, just pressure the dude and catch what he throws ya.  We're good. (Now go eat a snack.)"

Makes sense but gameplans aren't derived in a 5 second speech.  Keeping Tyrod Taylor in the pocket is one thing but how you do it is another.

The biggest problems in Buffalo in order:

1) Offensive line

2) Defensive line

3)Linebackers

4)Coaching (OC,DC,HC)

5)QB

6)WR

7)CB

8)RB/FB

9)TE

10)SS/FS

Just my opinion but those are the main problems with 1 needing the most help and 10 needing the least help.

Now let's pretend that Peterman completed the game & threw for 110 yards, 4 sacks and 2 INts in a 47-10 loss, then he'd probably still be starting.

I'm convinced if Peterman did not throw that 5 Int, he would have started the second half.

I'm wondering if McDermott learned anything.

Well the media has been calling him stupid, idiotic, dumb, etc all week, so he was under some of the most intense pressure & scrutiny I've ever seen a coach receive...just look at these headlines (the articles go on to blast him even more):

"Bills realize the stupidity of their QB decision" - https://nypost.com/2017/11/22/bills-realize-the-stupidity-of-their-quarterback-decision/

"Sean McDermott's mixed messages send Bills into chaos after QB debacle" - https://sports.yahoo.com/m/4484273b-409a-399c-90a5-8c5b761eaa1c/ss_sean-mcdermott's-mixed.html

"Sean McDermott's decision to bench Tyrod Taylor put Bills in free-fall" - http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/30059/sean-mcdermotts-decision-to-bench-tyrod-taylor-put-bills-in-free-fall

"Tyrod Taylor Is Bills Starter Again, Because Why Not?" - https://deadspin.com/tyrod-taylor-is-the-bills-starter-again-because-why-no-1820676576

"Peterman is a punchline but McDermott's coaching labeled a 'joke'" - http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2017/11/20/buffalo-bills-coach-sean-mcdermott-national-media-joke/883701001/

"Bills' quarterback dilemma is as clear as black and white" (a piece saying it's about race) - http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/bills-quarterback-dilemma-clear-black-white-article-1.3645016 

1 minute ago, Albwan said:

Sunday's game is a playoff game, TT needs to stop with the apprehension nonsense

and start slinging the ball...i would expect a few ints, (hopefully not 5) but

they have to score points, enough with the three and outs.

I'm kind of expecting the opposite, frankly: a typical conservative gameplan to eke out a road win against a decent opponent. 

2 hours ago, jkirchofer said:

Makes me lose confidence in McDermott moving forward. I want a head coach that will stick with a decision. This season is already done with, spend the time evaluating instead of allowing Taylor to audition for other teams.

Right, I only admire a man who will stick with a decision even after it's shown to be epicly wrong <= sarcasm

Can you help me understand, if Peterman keeps playing, just what do you think you're evaluating and why you're evaluating it?

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Right, I only admire a man who will stick with a decision even after it's shown to be epicly wrong <= sarcasm

Can you help me understand, if Peterman keeps playing, just what do you think you're evaluating and why you're evaluating it?

Seriously? So that is the ONLY audition the poor kid gets? DONE? GMAFB