Who starts next week: Taylor or Peterman?

SDS

Which QB starts in week 11?  

390 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB starts in week 11?

• Nate Peterman
    • Tyrod Taylor

This poll is closed to new votes

Why did Taylor get benched?  

A $10mil question 

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Cryptic? We'll soon see.

Spamming the same message over and over :thumbsup:

Until further notice from the HC Nate is the starter.  

2 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

If it was home I'd say Peterman.  But away in a loud arrowhead stadium, TT.  No need to setup Peterman for yet more failure.

I can accept failure with Nate

I can not accept any more failure with Tyrod 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

19 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I agree with this.

Prior to this season I thought the Bills had one of the worst rosters in the NFL. Somehow we over achieved the first 7 weeks, and since then we've looked like on of the 3-4 worst teams in the league which is what I expected all along.

This roster is a mess. Our OL is below average (why on Earth is Ducasse still on the field), we have zero talent at WR without Benjamin, we don't have a competent backup running back, and our defense is a complete dumpster fire. We can't stop the pass or the run, and we have no pass rush whatsoever. Lawson looks mediocre at best, Kyle looks washed up, we have no depth or upcoming talent at DT and our linebackers are all useless.

The Bills are one of the worst teams in the league right now. I'm not sure they'll win more than 1 or 2 of their remaining games. 

We had a small window to maybe get something going, but that was all blown on Rexy. Ownership (including Brandon in here) screwed this team with all of the HC movement and subsequent scheme changes. You ended up with a patchwork roster (that had a degree of talent) but was incompatible with the schemes being employed. The Rex draft has zero players that are able to contribute, the drafts before them had players who couldn't play in the 34/46 of Ryan. The whole thing was a mess. I didn't love Whaley and thought he needed to be shown the door, but he was in an impossible situation....

McDermott will be crucified and then some if he starts Peterman again the rest of this year most likely . It will not happen. Then again, I said there was no way other than injury that NP sees the field while the Bills are mathematically alive. Hmmm

Edited by Boatdrinks

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I was trying to refrain from comment, because truth be told, I do NOT have the heart for a stats research project right now, and I don't like to blow off my opinion without facts to back it up.  But I have to throw this out

Not just you, Maj Bobby, but to everyone who has this opinion "might as well":  winning and losing, are both to some degree habits.  When your team gets behind, do you rev it up or give it up?  Do you put your body on the line with a whole heart, or do you phone it in and save yourself?

I believe that outcomes would show that "bad for Bradford" "suck for Luck" and similar tank campaigns, are rarely successful in building a championship team, because while the team may succeed in getting that cherished 1st round pick, they succeed in building a losing culture in the rest of the team at the same time.

The teams that look on-track to be strong this year, are not necessarily the teams that sucked and drafted high last year or the year before.  They're the teams that were "meh" and brought in the right coach/GM, identified the pieces they needed, and went for them.  Philly would be a good example - 7-9 in 2015, changed coach, changed GM, went all-in after a QB, 7-9 last year but showed flashes, looking good so far this year.  LA Rams might be another - at 4-12 they weren't bad enough to draft high, but traded up for Goff, and also put in what may be the right pieces at HC, OC and DC

I'm trying to think of an example of a team that totally sucked, drafted a QB #1, and totes turned it around in 1-2 years after tanking.  Anyone?

The Colts.

Peterman set historical records for QB ineptitude (in only one half!)....even if you throw out that first INT.    He surpassed John Skelton and Rex Grossman to name a few. 

They cannot start him next week at KC and Peterman may never start again after that game!  I like the guy, hope he rebounds but he may not see the field again till next preseason (unless Tyrod gets injured). 

5 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

The Colts.

I grant you, The Colts. 

They kind of seem like a special case, though, since they were 10-6 the year prior to "suck for Luck", coming off a 9 year run of "playoffs every year", and the QB seemed like their missing piece.

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

They won one game, had the first pick and the draft happened to have what was regarded as the best QB prospect in over 20 years. Perfect storm. That's not happening again 

Two I think.

I said repeatedly Peterman was not ready and that throwing a rookie who isn't ready behind a bad OL would be a disaster and terrible way to develop the kid.  Now I said that all preseason and thought the best path for him was to let him sit at least 10 weeks before they consider taking a look at him if Tyrod had not won this regime over.  

So I was ok in the switch as I assumed the staff had seen enough that the kid was ready to play.  I also didn't expect a great game, always thought that was going to be unrealistic.  But, Peterman should have been pulled after the 3rd INT when he clearly proved he wasn't ready and while the game was still winnable.  We entered the game in the 6th playoff spot, you have a team full of veterans who want to win, want to break the playoff streak, and need to believe this team wants to still win.  No one would have blamed McD for making a switch there once the chance he took on NP was not working out.  

I don't blame McD for taking a chance, ultimately it was a win win scenario for next year.  But somehow he found a way to take a win win and make it a big lose.  It was win win from the point that if NP wasn't getting us wins and was struggling, our draft cost to get a QB would be less through having a worse record by being able to stay put and take our QB or cost less to trade up.  And if NP played well, even in losses, we could spend even less on a QB possibly next year and focus on the many other holes.  

But, instead...somehow McD turned this into a total lose situation.  The one thing that he couldn't do is stubbornly flush the postseason down the tubes.  If NP was struggling but game stayed winnable, you get him letting NP play through it as the commitment to the change.  But after the 3rd INT in the first quarter, it was clear this was a disaster.  McD owed it to the fans and the players to still try and win this game, and it was clear NP was no where near ready.  He should have just handed the ball back to TT and at least showed the guys in that locker room that they still want to win and try and make the playoffs.  Sticking with NP until the game was no longer winnable was about as dumb as it gets.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

McDermott will be crucified and then some if he starts Peterman again the rest of this year most likely . It will not happen. Then again, I said there was no way other than injury that NP sees the field while the Bills are mathematically alive. Hmmm

Do you think McDermott cares what the fans think? 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

McDermott still evaluating who will be the starting QB for the KC game. 

McDermott is such a tool....evaluating what??  How much film does he need to watch??  I dont get it.....he was standing there watching that free fall.....sometimes i actually think maybe we would of been better off with the Rex Big Top show instead.....

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

McDermott still evaluating who will be the starting QB for the KC game. 

Didn't the coach also admit recently that they were still trying to get a feel for this team?

I think they found their answers.

Yikes.

You wouldn't have pulled Nate Peterman out after halftime if your plan was to keep him as your starter in my view. 

If you wanted him as your starter then you stay the course and ride those ups and downs. In his own words he said a lot of rookies are playing and you ride those ups and downs. With Nate it wasn't done. You pulled him scared. 

I agree with others. If you put Nate in you stay through it. If you do pull him then you don't do it after it has gotten so bad there is no hope Tyrod can turn it around.

Edited by Lfod

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

They were.   I am sorry if you can't see what others do see.   

Who was the QB we faced under center for the JETS?  A career backup that outplayed Taylor.?   Taylor isn't the answer.  Why else do you think he got benched? 

Hey Bro, we're on the same page regarding starting Peterman in the Chargers game...I was all for it, and still am despite the outcome because the Bills need/ed to know what Peterman brings to the table prior to the 2018 Off-season. No argument there....I suppose the only disagreement is that mathematically speaking, they still aren't out of the playoffs and at the time of the Jets game, they were 5-2, firmly in the first Wild Card spot and could have taken the AFC East Division lead with a win over the Jets since the Pats didn't have the same number of division wins as the Bills would have...so AT THE TIME yes, playoffs were still a consideration....after the abysmal game they played, their true character and ultimate reality was revealed thereby ending any real possibility of the playoffs in terms of realistic expectations. Not sure why we're in disagreement here since we agree about the reality, and factually they were in fact the lead Wild Card team going into that game and actually stayed as much until their loss to San Diego yesterday. Not sure what the difficulty is....?

4 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Hey Bro, we're on the same page regarding starting Peterman in the Chargers game...I was all for it, and still am despite the outcome because the Bills need/ed to know what Peterman brings to the table prior to the 2018 Off-season. No argument there....I suppose the only disagreement is that mathematically speaking, they still aren't out of the playoffs and at the time of the Jets game, they were 5-2, firmly in the first Wild Card spot and could have taken the AFC East Division lead with a win over the Jets since the Pats didn't have the same number of division wins as the Bills would have...so AT THE TIME yes, playoffs were still a consideration....after the abysmal game they played, their true character and ultimate reality was revealed thereby ending any real possibility of the playoffs in terms of realistic expectations. Not sure why we're in disagreement here since we agree about the reality, and factually they were in fact the lead Wild Card team going into that game and actually stayed as much until their loss to San Diego yesterday. Not sure what the difficulty is....?

its the poster you are responding to. that's what the difficulty is. lol

Does it really matter.  This team is awful.  They won a few games early with smoke and mirrors.  Everyone knew the roster was bad, but drank the coolaid.  It's pretty clear that in the NFL your only chance is if you have a franchise qb.  This team does not have even a serviceable qb.  That coupled with the defensive line, linebackers, offensive line, receivers and injuries, makes this product unwatchable.  Frankly, I didn't vote in the poll because there was no "it doesn't matter" box. 

I am, and will always be of the opinion that when I watch the Bills play this Sunday, and every Sunday, I want to see them play to win. Period. For three hours on Sunday, I don't care about rebuilding for next year, experimenting to "see what they've got" in a player like Peterman, or anything else not related to winning the next game. For me, the future is this coming Sunday. Play to win-- every game.

This is especially true this year. We already have two first, and two second round picks. "Tanking," at this point in the season isn't going to get us much, and it certainly isn't worth destroying what is left of the team's chemistry by enduring Peterman as the starter. We're already a laughing stock for having him out there for a half. And, for those who think we still need to "see what we've got" in Peterman, I have to wonder what game you were watching on Sunday. If Peterman starts again, and is five times the QB he was on Sunday, he will still not give us a good a chance to win as Taylor. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I can accept failure with Nate

I can not accept any more failure with Tyrod 

Weird. Just when I think I have at least an understanding of the Hate some Bills' fans have for Taylor - strange a phenomena as it is - there's a new manifestation into whole other realms of bizarre........

• Thank you (+1) 1

Tyrod's gonna start.  Peterman will need more than a week of practice to be ready for another start after what happened yesterday. 

It'll be interesting to see how Tyrod responds after the benching. He may be more determined and more prepared to approach the game in the manner the coaches want him to. 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

They were.   I am sorry if you can't see what others do see.   

Who was the QB we faced under center for the JETS?  A career backup that outplayed Taylor.?   Taylor isn't the answer.  Why else do you think he got benched? 

He didn't outplay Taylor in that game at all. Jesus dude stop changing history. 

6 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Tyrod's gonna start.  Peterman will need more than a week of practice to be ready for another start after what happened yesterday. 

It'll be interesting to see how Tyrod responds after the benching. He may be more determined and more prepared to approach the game in the manner the coaches want him to. 

If I were Taylor, I'd be playing with an eye on landing another team next season. But, from what I think we know about him, he seems like a consummate professional, and I believe that the team trusts him. Certainly, he has an undeniable chemistry with Shady. 

5 minutes ago, Woodman19 said:

McDermott wasn't hired to win this year, he was hired to build a team that can win for years.  No way he gets canned before getting to mold the bounty of picks. 

I'm not too sure that I trust his, or Beane's ability to evaluate talent a this point. It's hard to be happy with their personnel decisions.

Taylor is the better player.  If the tank is on you play Peterman and look towards next year.  Interesting place.  It would take watermelon cajones to stick with Peterman after that performance.  I do not know what he will do at this point.  Slowly but surely this team has devolved into a dumpster fire.

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

Taylor is the better player.  If the tank is on you play Peterman and look towards next year.  Interesting place.  It would take watermelon cajones to stick with Peterman after that performance.  I do not know what he will do at this point.  Slowly but surely this team has devolved into a dumpster fire.

It's not balls to start Peterman again, it's flat out stupidity.

I know people don't want to hear it after the interceptions, but Peterman did make great throws to the receivers that let them get yards after the catch.  If you can tone down the panic and drill him to not unload until his feet are set, he can definitely still play.

1 minute ago, Woodman19 said:

I know people don't want to hear it after the interceptions, but Peterman did make great throws to the receivers that let them get yards after the catch.  If you can tone down the panic and drill him to not unload until his feet are set, he can definitely still play.

The Chargers got some yards after catching Peterman's throws..that is legit.. (sic)

As much as it pains me, this season is now gone.  The defense overachieved for 6 of 7 weeks (including the Carolina loss) and that drove the Bills to 5-2.  You play the last 6 games to learn what you have.  That means:

1) Players who you know are not going to be on the roster next year sit the bench barring a nuclear meltdown like yesterday

2) Players who need more game experience but have flashed (Milano, Dawkins) get all the game time you can give them.

3) Players who are at the end of contracts who the Bills are considering re-signing -- get playing time

This team better get to work in Free Agency as well as the draft.  No pass rush, no run D, little pass D with no LB coverage, no QB.  Decent Special Teams (but punting sucked yesterday) and a serviceable run game with an older back.  This team needs to find some talent on the existing roster and then supplement it with a lot of pieces from outside.  Pegula bucks needed.